Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

This only means one thing to me, he is out the door! :o

Drogba absent from Chelsea tour

Chelsea left for their pre-season tour of China and Malaysia on Sunday without striker Didier Drogba.

Drogba, 30, who has been linked with a transfer away from Chelsea, requires further treatment on a knee injury, according to Chelsea's website.

His absence may spark fresh speculation about the Ivory Coast star's future.

Frank Lampard was included in the squad which left London for China under new coach Luiz Felipe Scolari amid on-going reports about a move to Inter Milan.

A statement from Chelsea said: "Didier Drogba will not be travelling as he continues his rehabilitation from a knee injury at the Cobham training ground."

Drogba has been linked with possible moves to AC Milan and Barcelona but his agent has hinted that he may agree a new deal at Stamford Bridge before the new season starts.

Scolari claimed at his official unveiling that Drogba was still "200% in his plans" for the squad.

Claudio Pizarro was also omitted from the tour squad because of injury but Michael Ballack will join up with the squad in China after taking a holiday following Euro 2008.

Chelsea open their tour against Guangzhou Pharmaceuticals on 23 July and follow that with matches against Chengdu Blades in Macau three days later and Malaysian Select XI in Kuala Lumpur on 29 July before travelling on to Russia for two games.

Scolari is relishing the opportunity to see his players in action for the first time during the tour of Asia.

"The players are not ready yet totally, but we are starting to build a new team and a new philosophy.

"This is just the beginning, and I expect after these fives games that I have a general idea about all the players and a system."

When is all this paper talk going to end, Kaka going to Chelsea? are we trying to become Spurs and buy half a team of midfielders, at the moment we have Malouda, Lampard , John Obi, Deco, Makalele, Ballack, ShaunWP, Essien, J Cole, and are Chelsea going to pay 80M Quid for a player who has scored 19 goals tops in a season, what we need is a striker who can bang thirty in, offer the Yid's 30M for Berbatov or the scousers 60M for Torres, at least they have proved they can do it in the Premiership.

Yeah I hear what your saying Gaz, a minute after I posted that about Kaka, Milan reaffirmed on their website he isn't going anywhere for any amount of money, Kaka staying at Milan was another reason why his fellow countryman decided to join him (Ronaldinho).

Big Phil has said he wants a clear out so hopefully a good few of those midfielders will be leaving....Malouda, Maka, SWP.

I guarantee we won't get Torres but Berbatov would be great, especially to wind up my Yids mates. I do like the sounds coming out of Real about the likelihood of us getting Robinho but yet again as soon as we are mentioned another 15m gets added to the value of the player.

I wouldn't have a problem paying big for him though as he is only 24, youth is on his side and we could also sell on if things don't work out.

Seapok, if you get him he'll be a great signing. It will be interesting though to see if Milan really want to sell him. To me, it looks like Milan are trying to build a Brazilian based team, and with Pato (don't forget him, he's class and only very young), Kaka and Ronldhinio they will truly be an awesome attacking force. So it woudn't make much sense to ditch Kaka at this point, although if the figures being banded about are true, then it's more than possible.

I would love to have Kaka at the Bridge Toady but the figures bounding around are ridiculous, it was bad enough when we paid £30m for Sheva, every mention of him in the press was £30m man this, £30m man that, just imagine what they would write if we paid £80m for someone. The pressure on the player would be outrageous. Anyway no player is worth that kind of money. With Drogba going all we need is an out and out goal scoring machine. My perfect front two would be Robinho and Adriano.

I would love to have Kaka at the Bridge Toady but the figures bounding around are ridiculous, it was bad enough when we paid £30m for Sheva, every mention of him in the press was £30m man this, £30m man that, just imagine what they would write if we paid £80m for someone. The pressure on the player would be outrageous. Anyway no player is worth that kind of money. With Drogba going all we need is an out and out goal scoring machine. My perfect front two would be Robinho and Adriano.

I'd agree on that. Adriano has had a rough 12 months, but his spell back playing in Brazil last season has probably done him the world of good, and as we all know he's a class palyer, so he might still be available on a reasonable fee based on his previous. As for Kaka ,the pressure as you say is stupendous, if he's signed for that sum that is being banded about then the expectation is going to be massive AND QUITE RIGHTLY AS YOU'VE POINTED OUT , will he be able to handle it? Still a great player though. but I still prefer Messi.

I'd agree on that. Adriano has had a rough 12 months, but his spell back playing in Brazil last season has probably done him the world of good, and as we all know he's a class palyer, so he might still be available on a reasonable fee based on his previous. As for Kaka ,the pressure as you say is stupendous, if he's signed for that sum that is being banded about then the expectation is going to be massive AND QUITE RIGHTLY AS YOU'VE POINTED OUT , will he be able to handle it? Still a great player though. but I still prefer Messi.

The thing I like most about Kaka is his attitude.He may be the best player in the world but he doesn't shout it from the rooftops.Adriano was,when he had Obefemi Martens as his strike partner at Inter,the best centre forward around.Is he still a force now?It would be a gamble on Chelsea's part to sign him.

I also think Messi is a fantastic talent.Even more so when you consider that he's been carrying a few extra kilos after a long injury but still strutted his stuff in a Barcelona team that was in turmoil.Robinho isn't that bad either!

Incidently,S,is Drogba's ten days up yet when he was to announce to the world whether he was staying or going?I hope its the latter.

Makelele leaves Blues for PSG

Paris Saint Germain have confirmed Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele is set to join the club.

A move back to France for Makelele has been mooted for some time and now PSG have confirmed the imminent capture of the 35-year-old.

Chelsea have allowed Makelele to move on after five successful seasons at Stamford Bridge.

The deal is a coup for PSG as they look to transform their fortunes after a poor campaign last term which saw them narrowly avoid relegation.

Makelele is expected to be unveiled by PSG later on Monday and he will link up with former France team-mate Ludovic Giuly at Parc Des Princes.

Cech signs new Blues deal

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has pledged his future to the club by signing a new five-year contract.

The deal, which keeps the 26-year-old goalkeeper at Stamford Bridge until 2013, was completed late last week but announced as the team touched down in Guangzhou, China, for the pre-season tour of Asia.

The Czech international has established himself as arguably the best keeper in the world since arriving in the summer of 2004 from Rennes and has made 115 appearances in four seasons with the Blues.

Cech was delighted to sign a new long-term deal and he says he cannot wait for the new season to start.

"It is an honour to be at a club like Chelsea and I am very happy to have renewed my contract with them," Cech told the club's official website.

"Chelsea has grown in my heart, not just because of my team-mates and all the people that work for the club but also because of their fantastic fans.

"Personally I have to say I cannot wait for the new season to start. I am confident that it will be a very successful season for all of us."

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari welcomed the news saying: "I am delighted that Petr has signed a new contract.

"In my view he is the best goalkeeper in the world, so I am very pleased that he will remain with me at Chelsea."

Chelsea still out to land Robinho

Chief executive Peter Kenyon has confirmed Chelsea are still keen on Real Madrid striker Robinho.

BBC Sport revealed last week that the Blues were monitoring the 24-year-old Brazilian, although reports of a £48m bid were wide of the mark.

And Kenyon has now said: "It is well noted we have shown interest.

"We have had discussions with Madrid over it and they are ongoing. The window is still open and we are still talking to Madrid."

Robinho played a key role in helping Real win the Spanish title last season but it is believed he is keen to join fellow countryman Luiz Felipe Scolari at Stamford Bridge.

Scolari, who took over as Chelsea boss earlier this month, is currently working on bringing in new faces ahead of his first Premier League campaign.

Robinho has previously stated: "It would be a dream for me to work with Luiz Felipe Scolari, who is one of the best coaches in the world.

"I have always spoken highly of him and he has always spoken very highly of me, since well before he was at Chelsea

"In 2003, when I was unknown in Europe, he called me to play in a charity match. It was brief but it was enough for me to see his style and character."

And Robinho's agent, Wagner Ribeiro, was reported as saying in Spain: "Madrid have failed to value him as he deserves and I do not like the fact that they tried to include him in the Ronaldo deal. Money is not the problem for us now.

"What matters for Robinho is to leave the club and play for Scolari at Chelsea."

However, Real president Ramon Calderon insisted the club was not forcing Robinho out of the Bernabeu.

Essien signs new Chelsea contract

Chelsea's Michael Essien has signed a new five-year deal - following keeper Petr Cech and defender Wayne Bridge in committing his future to the club.

The Ghana midfielder, 25, has been a major success since joining Chelsea from Lyon for £24m in 2005.

He said: "I am very happy here. We have a great team and fantastic fans who have always made me welcome.

"With the addition of the new manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, I am feeling very positive about the season ahead."

It was revealed on Monday that Cech had signed a five-year deal with the Blues, while Bridge put pen to paper on a new four-year contract last week.

Scolari, who has had to endure much speculation about the future of midfielder Frank Lampard since taking over as Chelsea manager this month,

is delighted that Essien has pledged his future to the London club.

"I have not been here long but it is clear to me that Michael Essien is one of the best midfield players in the world," stated the former Portugal boss.

"I have always admired him and it is good news for me and for Chelsea that he signs for so long."

Essien signs new Chelsea contract

Chelsea's Michael Essien has signed a new five-year deal - following keeper Petr Cech and defender Wayne Bridge in committing his future to the club.

The Ghana midfielder, 25, has been a major success since joining Chelsea from Lyon for £24m in 2005.

He said: "I am very happy here. We have a great team and fantastic fans who have always made me welcome.

"With the addition of the new manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, I am feeling very positive about the season ahead."

It was revealed on Monday that Cech had signed a five-year deal with the Blues, while Bridge put pen to paper on a new four-year contract last week.

Scolari, who has had to endure much speculation about the future of midfielder Frank Lampard since taking over as Chelsea manager this month,

is delighted that Essien has pledged his future to the London club.

"I have not been here long but it is clear to me that Michael Essien is one of the best midfield players in the world," stated the former Portugal boss.

"I have always admired him and it is good news for me and for Chelsea that he signs for so long."

That's the best news I've heard this pre season.A fantastic player with terrific stamina.I,also,saw signs of him controlling his temper towards the end of last season by walking away from potentially explosive situations.

Makelele leaves Blues for PSG

Paris Saint Germain have confirmed Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele is set to join the club.

A move back to France for Makelele has been mooted for some time and now PSG have confirmed the imminent capture of the 35-year-old.

Chelsea have allowed Makelele to move on after five successful seasons at Stamford Bridge.

The deal is a coup for PSG as they look to transform their fortunes after a poor campaign last term which saw them narrowly avoid relegation.

Makelele is expected to be unveiled by PSG later on Monday and he will link up with former France team-mate Ludovic Giuly at Parc Des Princes.

After a dodgy first season,Makalele turned in dozens of man-of-the-match performances.He certainly made the back four's life a lot easier by breaking up opposing attacks in midfield.Houdini-like ability to get out of tight situations.One of our best ever signings.

Lovely goal by Lamps.

Scolari begins reign with victory

Frank Lampard was on the scoresheet as Chelsea crushed Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 4-0 in Luiz Felipe Scolari's first game in charge.

Lampard, who is yet to commit his future to the club, scored with a delightful chip to put Chelsea 2-0 up.

Salomon Kalou had slotted in Chelsea's first, while Argentine teenager Franco di Santo and Shaun Wright-Phillips added late goals in Guangzhou.

Jose Bosingwa came off just 20 minutes into his debut with a thigh injury.

However, Chelsea have confirmed the substitution of the Portugal right-back was merely precautionary.

Midfielder Deco also made his debut, playing alongside Lampard - who is in the final year of his Chelsea contract and has been strongly linked with a move to Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan.

But the 30-year-old England midfielder has made the trip to Asia for the pre-season tour and played the full 90 minutes on Wednesday.

Scolari said: "I have said before, Frank is here, he is with us training and playing very well, he is an important player for us.

"The speculation is normal because until 31 August there will be a lot of speculation."

Scolari declared himself happy with his side's first outing, the Brazilian's debut as Chelsea boss.

He had found his new club in the news earlier in the day after Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson suggested the Blues could struggle to compete for the title because of their age.

Scolari, though, refused to be drawn into an argument.

"I will not answer this question. This is not a question for me," said the former Portugal coach.

"I think I have a lot of experienced players and also some young boys in my team but I feel we have experience for the Premier League or whatever league."

Scolari - I will do it my way

Chelsea chief Luiz Felipe Scolari has hit back at comparisons with former Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

The Brazilian is fed up being compared with the Portuguese tactician who helped the club win two Premier League titles during his time in charge of Stamford Bridge.

Scolari insists he will do his things his own way in West London as he looks to bring success to Chelsea.

"My name is Luiz Felipe Scolari. I'm not Jose Mourinho. I have my own personality. I follow my way, not another way," snapped Scolari.

"I don't know if Mourinho says yes or no and I say different or not. To my players and the fans, I say what all coaches say - we need to win. Only this."

The Brazilian also ducked questions about whether he would take the defensive shackles off Chelsea's playing style.

"I don't know. I'll answer in June 2009 (after next season)," added Scolari.

"My way in Chelsea is the same as my way in my life. I want the same as I wanted in the clubs and national teams I worked with before - winning.

"This is my way. I follow this way, only this."

Chelsea not too old, says Ballack

Michael Ballack has hit back at Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson's suggestion that Chelsea will be less of a threat next season.

Ferguson said that he did not expect to see "outstanding progress coming from a team in their 30s".

But Blues midfielder Ballack, 31, said: "Our team can still improve. If you are 30 or 31 you are not old.

"Claude Makelele was 34 and played well last season. This sort of banter occurs between people during the summer."

Makelele, now 35, switched to Paris St Germain on Monday, while Ballack has recently joined up with the Chelsea squad on tour in the Far East after helping Germany reach the final of Euro 2008.

He is looking forward to working with new Blues boss Luiz Felipe Scolari at Stamford Bridge.

"It is different, you know someone for a few moments but now we are together every day and I am looking forward to it," he added.

"We have only talked for a few minutes since he took over but he is a nice person. He is a successful coach and that is why he is here.

"He has not spoken to me about his philosophy but we have a good squad like last year and we can play a lot of systems."

Ballack also revealed that he would like England midfielder Frank Lampard to remain at the club next season. The 30-year-old former West Ham star has been linked with a move to Inter Milan during the summer transfer window.

"It would be fantastic if he could stay at Chelsea," stated Ballack.

"He is a big player for the club and has done a lot for the club but it is up to him. He knows we are all behind him."

Meanwhile, defender Jose Bosingwa, who joined the Blues in a £16.2m move from Porto in May, is facing three weeks on the sidelines after tearing a thigh muscle on his debut.

The 25-year-old managed only 20 minutes against Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Pharmaceutical on the Far East tour before suffering the problem and - following a scan in Macau - he has been sent back to England for treatment. However, Chelsea have since described the problem as "minor".

Very cute deft touch by Joey for his 2nd, good to see youngster Di Santo score again in his consecutive game.

Seven-up Blues cruise

Chelsea's pre-season cruise continued in Macau as Luiz Felipe Scolari's side eased to a 7-0 victory against Chinese Super League side Chengdu Blades.

Nicolas Anelka, Solomon Kalou and Frank Lampard put the Blues in control in the first 45 minutes at the Macau Stadium before Joe Cole (2), Franco Di Santo and a fortunate Shaun Wright-Phillips effort wrapped up the second rout in four days.

Paulo Ferreira replaced the injured Jose Bosingwa at right-back, while Alex and Wright-Phillips also came into the side who beat Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 4-0.

Ricardo Carvalho and John Obi Mikel were on the bench with Michael Essien taking over the holding midfield role.

The Blues opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Wright-Phillips found an unmarked Anelka charging into the area, and after the French striker beat the Blades' offside trap, he calmly rounded goalkeeper Lan Yi and rolled the ball into the net.

Wright-Phillips then picked out Anelka on the edge of the Chengdu area and with time and space, the Frenchman turned and fed the onrushing Kalou who scored with ease.

Kalou turned provider seven minutes later as the Ivory Coast international crossed for Lampard to fire into an empty net from the edge of the area after Lan went to ground in a vain attempt to intercept the initial low delivery.

Following five half-time changes, Cole was also introduced shortly after for his first pre-season appearance after missing the opening game due to a lack of match fitness.

And he made an instant impact two minutes after his 53rd minute introduction as the England midfielder broke clear of the Chengdu backline following an Anelka through-ball before deceiving Lan and passing the ball into the unguarded net.

Six minutes later Argentinian teenager Di Santo smashed home the fifth from close range after the Blades defence failed to clear Carvalho's low cross following good interplay from Cole on the edge of the Chengdu area.

Cole grabbed a second with eight minutes left on the watch with an exquisite close-range backheel drag from Essien's low, near-post cross before Florent Malouda's left-wing cross hit an onrushing Wright-Phillips on the chest and looped over Lan a minute later to complete the scoring.

Former Everton and Sheffield United defender Li Tie played 80 minutes for Chengdu, who are owned by the Blades of the English Championship.

Drogba to decide on future

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has revealed he will make a decision on his future within the next week.

AC Milan and Barcelona have set their sights on the 30-year-old, who has become one of the most feared forwards in the world since moving to Chelsea from Marseille in 2004.

The transfer speculation has intensified after the Ivory Coast international missed the Blues pre-season tour of Asia and Russia through injury.

Drogba has now revealed his representatives are set to meet in London and that an announcement will be made within seven days.

"This next week will be key in terms of my future," Drogba said in the Sunday Mirror.

"And I am currently injured. People who say I am not don't know me at all because I always want to play.

"As for my future at Chelsea, well I have a contract with the club that is clear.

"But my agents will have a meeting in London and then it will be known once and for all."

Kenyon expects to keep stars

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon is confident the club can keep hold of their star assets ahead of the new season and has targeted one more new signing.

Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Andrei Shevchenko are all thought to be close to the Stamford Bridge exit as Inter and AC Milan wait in the wings.

However, Kenyon insists talks continue to take place with Lampard, and he believes Drogba and Shevchenko will still be Chelsea players when the Blues kick-off their Premier League campaign against Portsmouth on 16th August.

"Negotiations are ongoing with regards to Frank," Kenyon said on Chelsea's official website.

"But we expect all of them (Drogba and Shevchenko) to start the season."

And Kenyon has reiterated Chelsea's interest in Real Madrid star Robinho as the Blues attempt to secure a final summer signing.

Chelsea have already captured Jose Bosingwa and Deco, but Kenyon has indicated that the club are eager to secure another signature as they bid to close the gap on Premier League and UEFA Champions League holders Manchester United.

"We've brought in Jose Bosingwa, we've signed Deco," Kenyon continued.

"But we need one more player, and we're definitely showing interest in Robinho."

However, Kenyon insists Chelsea have not tabled a record-breaking bid for AC Milan playmaker Kaka because the Serie A outfit are unwilling to sell.

"We have made no bids despite what media reports say. Milan insist he (Kaka) is not for sale," concluded Kenyon.

Scolari sets sights on quadruple

Luiz Felipe Scolari believes Chelsea can win the quadruple in his first season as manager at Stamford Bridge.

The Brazilian, 59, said his squad is strong enough to challenge for the Premier League, the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League.

"We have four competitions this season and I'll try to win all four," he said.

"It will be very difficult but we have the team for it, we have the players for it. Chelsea have also given me everything I have wanted."

Chelsea failed to win a trophy last season after losing in the Carling Cup and Champions League finals and finishing second to Manchester United in the Premier League.

The former Portugal coach, who succeeded Avram Grant as Chelsea boss this summer, added: "I try and give confidence to my players. They sometimes make mistakes but I tell them that this is normal as long as they train hard. If they do their best the rest is my problem."

Chelsea have been prolific at the start of their pre-season tour of Asia, beating Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 4-0 last week, while on Saturday they secured an emphatic 7-0 win over Chengdu Blades.

And Scolari said the tour had helped him decide on the majority of the starting XI for Chelsea's first game of the Premier League season against Portsmouth on 17 August.

"I know who my key players are," confirmed Scolari ahead of Tuesday's match against a Malaysian League Select XI - the third and final game of the Far East leg of Chelsea's tour.

"I have had 15 days with them and I know who is important for us to play more games than other players."

He stated: "You need to build a team around a few players in essential positions for important games and I now know who they are.

"I have in my mind one idea for the team to play against Portsmouth but until then I want to see how the players train.

"I have a minimum of 75% of the team in my mind but I need to know the other 25%."

After Tuesday's friendly, Chelsea will head to the Luzhniki Stadium, the venue of last season's Champions League final defeat by Manchester United, for a match against Lokomotiv Moscow.

Blues captain John Terry, who missed what would have been the winning kick in the penalty shoot-out defeat at the hands of United, conceded that returning to the Russian capital would be "weird" but said he was ready to concentrate on the forthcoming season.

The defender said: "We have made some great signings. With players like Deco and Jose Bosingwa coming to the club, there's no point me thinking, 'Oh, I could have won the Champions League that year' when I'm 35 or 40. I still have some great years ahead of me. "With the manager we have, I have still got a great possibility of winning it.

"It's down to myself to drive this team forward again and push to get to where we were last season and further.

"We showed great strength of character with all the disappointments we had last season, with the changes in manager. We showed what a great team we are.

"Now we have a manager who can lead the team as well."

Terry - Scolari is boss

John Terry insists he and his Chelsea team-mates are in no doubt that Luiz Felipe Scolari is in charge at Stamford Bridge.

Scolari took up the Blues hot-seat this summer as he replaced Avram Grant following a trophyless season and allegations that the Israeli had lost control of his players.

And Chelsea skipper Terry confesses that Scolari's no-nonsense approach has been noticed in the club's dressing room following the World Cup winning Brazilian's arrival.

"I wouldn't like to cross him," said Terry. "He has definitely got that attitude.

"He certainly has the respect of all of us. He has a good sense of humour, but there is the other side to him as well, believe me."

Terry, though, has reiterated his positive thoughts about Scolari as Chelsea continue their pre-season preparations.

"The boss is a great football man," said Terry. "His record speaks for itself and he is a very nice man with it. He understands players.

"He has been there, played and managed some great players."

Blues end tour with win

Chelsea ended their pre-season tour of Asia with a comfortable 2-0 victory over a Malaysia Select XI in Kuala Lumpur.

Nicolas Anelka continued his impressive warm-up for the new campaign as he opened the scoring in the first half and substitute Ashley Cole doubled the advantage after the interval.

Chelsea - who had Joe Cole starting his first game of pre-season, while Michael Essien began the match at right-back - had opened the encounter in a nervous fashion.

And Malaysia's lively forward Amirulhadi Zainal should have done better when he broke clear in the opening five minutes, only to drag wide of the far post with Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech stranded.

The Blues, though, then took charge as summer signing Deco dominated the midfield, and the Portuguese playmaker almost scored in spectacular fashion as he went close with a long-range volley after a clever Frank Lampard free-kick.

With Didier Drogba absent from Chelsea's pre-season preparations, Anelka was revelling in his lone striking role and he deservedly opened the scoring on 26 minutes.

Joe Cole carried the ball over the half-way line before threading a pass through to Anelka who beat the offside trap to smash in with his left foot from a tight angle.

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari introduced Ashley Cole among a number of substitutes at the interval and the defender was on the scoresheet eight minutes later.

Lampard deftly feinted to shoot only to carve apart Malaysia's back four with a neat ball to Ashley Cole, who wasted little time in firing into the roof of the net from eight yards.

Malaysia continued to pose an occasional attacking danger and the eye-catching Zainal again threatened on the hour mark when he fired wide from the edge of the box.

However, that was to be as close as Malaysia came to netting a consolation as Chelsea, who face Lokomotiv Moscow in Russia on Friday, continued their 100 per cent pre-season record.

Man City sign Ben Haim from Blues

Manchester City have completed the signing of centre-back Tal Ben Haim from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The Israeli joined Chelsea on a free transfer from Bolton in June 2007 but has left after failing to establish himself in the first-team set-up.

He has been allowed to leave by new Blues boss Luiz Felipe Scolari and has signed a four-year deal with City.

The 26-year-old's transfer is subject to him gaining a work permit, which should prove a formality.

Ben Haim has made regular appearances for his country, including two matches against England during qualifying for Euro 2008.

He is believed to have cost about £5m and is City's second summer signing after the arrival of Brazilian striker Jo for £18m from CSKA Moscow.

Ben Haim will be hoping for more first-team football at Eastlands after just 13 starts for Chelsea last season.

But, while he was competing with John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho and Alex at Stamford Bridge, he will be battling for a central defensive berth with

Richard Dunne and Micah Richards at City.

"I think it's a very good club and a famous club with a lot of ambition," Ben Haim told City's official website.

"I want to win things with this club and I know for many years that hasn't happened. It'll be hard and it takes time to build something.

"I know Mark Hughes matches my ambition. As a player he won nearly everything and of course he wants to do the same as a manager.

"He has ambition, the passion and the desire to do that and it matches my ambition because I am like that as well. I want to help City to be a better club and to win something."

He added: "I spoke with my agent and even though we had some better offers I preferred to come here because I think it's a good club with a lot of ambition.

Hughes had hinted to a defensive signing as he recently said: "With so many games to play this season it is important to get the balance right.

"Last season the team was weakened when Micah Richards and Richard Dunne were not in it. We are trying to address that."

Anelka eyes Robinho link-up

Nicolas Anelka has admitted he would love the opportunity to play alongside Robinho at Chelsea.

Real Madrid insisted on Wednesday that the Brazilian would not be sold to finance a move for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

However, Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has said that talks remain 'ongoing' and Anelka seems confident that Robinho will arrive at Stamford Bridge this summer.

The Frenchman believes Robinho would add a different dimension to Chelsea's attacking play, and feels he would be able to line up in the same team as the 24-year-old.

"He is a very good player," Anelka said in the Daily Mirror.

"He can create and score goals, so of course it is good.

"I think he will play more on the left but he can play everywhere.

"Robinho can score, he can give some assists. He's always good for a striker like me - and for Chelsea because the more options you have the better."

Anelka has also revealed that he is still dwelling on his penalty miss in the UEFA Champions League final.

Manchester United lifted the trophy in Moscow after Anelka's spot-kick was saved by Edwin van der Sar.

Anelka does not think his task was made any easier by the fact that he only joined Chelsea halfway through the season, and Avram Grant often played him out of position on the left wing.

He explained: "For me it was very hard because I was not part of the beginning of this competition and I didn't play in my position when I arrived at Chelsea from Bolton.

"I am still thinking about it now because it's always hard to miss a penalty, but even more when you didn't play as much as you wanted in the competition."

He added: "It's just good for me to play up front because last season I didn't. I played in midfield, on the right or the left. I have never played on the right or the left since I have come to England.

"When you come to a new club you want to play in your position and you want success."

Chelsea rout sorry Milan

Nicolas Anelka scored four goals as Chelsea romped to a 5-0 pre-season friendly victory over AC Milan in Moscow.

Frank Lampard opened the scoring in the third-place play-off in the Railways Cup tournament before Anelka took control.

Milan's Brazilian star Kaka - who has been linked with a summer move to Stamford Bridge - did not feature as his team put in a dismal display, typified by some inept goalkeeping by Zeljko Kalac.

A strong Chelsea line-up saw Michael Ballack make his first appearance of the Blues' pre-season following his late return to the squad after Euro 2008 duty with Germany.

But it was his central midfield partner Lampard who put Luiz Felipe Scolari's side ahead in the second minute when his curling free-kick was missed by everyone and the ball flew in through Milan keeper Kalac's legs.

It was two in the eighth minute when Anelka latched on to a poor defensive header to fire home low from the edge of the area.

The Frenchman added a third 10 minutes later when Kalac's day went from bad to worse.

Attempting to clear a routine backpass, the Australian kicked nothing but air, allowing Anelka to steal in and tap into an empty net.

Chelsea were utterly dominant and Shaun Wright-Phillips very nearly headed a fourth soon afterwards as they sought to make amends for their shoot-out defeat to Lokomotiv Moscow two days ago.

A Milan side with no recognised strikers, but featuring former Arsenal star Mathieu Flamini in midfield, were providing little resistance and Anelka completed his hat-trick six minutes after the restart.

Deco played in Florent Malouda down the left and the winger's cross found his countryman, who headed accurately into the corner of the net.

Remarkably if was four for Anelka and five for Chelsea in the 58th minute when another flowing move down the left ended with Malouda centring once more for the former Bolton striker to volley home.

The Premier League runners-up took their foot off the gas in the last quarter but still dominated and the lively Malouda fired narrowly over with a good long-range effort.

Sevilla won the Railway Cup after beating hosts Lokomotiv Moscow 3-0 in the final.

Sevilla went in front after just four minutes when midfielder Christian Ndri Romaric nodded home from a corner.

The Spaniards dominated play and doubled their lead on 23 minutes when Arouna Kone headed home Diego Capel's cross.

Lokomotiv had a great chance to reduce the deficit before the break, but Sevilla keeper Javi Varas saved a penalty after David Mujiri had been fouled in the box.

Sevilla made the game safe eight minutes from tiume when Ernesto Chevanton found the net.

Scolari impressed by Anelka

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari believes Nicolas Anelka's four-goal haul against AC Milan will provide a welcome confidence boost ahead of the new season.

The French striker helped the Blues to a 5-0 victory over Milan in Moscow on Sunday as Scolari's side continue to warm-up for their 17th August Premier League kick-off against Portsmouth.

And Scolari feels Anelka, who moved to Stamford Bridge from Bolton in January for £15million, is benefiting from an impressive pre-season.

Anelka was criticised last season for failing to replicate his eye-catching form at Bolton, but Scolari - who took up the Chelsea hot-seat this summer - feels the 29-year-old is beginning to flourish.

"This game (against Milan) was important for Anelka but more important for us - the fans, the coach and the other players who will have more confidence in him," Scolari told Chelsea's official website.

"Today was good not because he scored four goals but because he played more free and with more quality than in other games.

"He was playing against a big club and to get four goals against Milan, for his confidence it is fantastic."

Scolari, who has been without the injured Didier Drogba during pre-season, also feels Anelka is thriving in a more central role after often being played on the flanks by former boss Avram Grant.

"Anelka today and in the last game played more inside the penalty area than before," added Scolari.

"That is where I asked him to play and where I need him, not right and left as before, because we have one striker and that is Anelka."

And with Drogba getting ever closer to returning to training after a knee injury, Scolari admits he has some tough decisions to make before meaningful action begins.

"Maybe I will receive good news about Drogba and we have 12 days to train and maybe we will have something I don't expect," he said.

"I have quality, competitive players and they fight for places on the pitch. I have 22 here, five at home. I have a good team."

Terry - Blues want title back

John Terry has stressed Chelsea's priority this season is to reclaim the Premier League title from Manchester United.

The Blues have finished runners-up to United in the title race in the past two campaigns, having been champions in the previous two years.

Winning a first UEFA Champions League trophy is rumoured to be owner Roman Abramovich's biggest wish, but Chelsea skipper Terry says the players want to be back on top of the domestic pile.

"We've had talks [Terry and Lampard] and the Barclays Premier League is the one we're after, we want to get that back," Terry told Chelsea TV.

"And over the course of the season, to show that consistency and get that back off Man United would be fantastic.

"They [Manchester United] have had two good years and you have to stand back and take your hat off to them, but we know we were good last year and we have another level to go to.

"Last year I think we saw the very best of Man United, but we have got an awful lot to come from last year.

"We have got improvements to make, but I think Man United are at their peak.

"The Premier League is the one we want and when the Champions League starts again, it's going to be exciting."

Terry - Blues want title back

John Terry has stressed Chelsea's priority this season is to reclaim the Premier League title from Manchester United.

The Blues have finished runners-up to United in the title race in the past two campaigns, having been champions in the previous two years.

Winning a first UEFA Champions League trophy is rumoured to be owner Roman Abramovich's biggest wish, but Chelsea skipper Terry says the players want to be back on top of the domestic pile.

"We've had talks [Terry and Lampard] and the Barclays Premier League is the one we're after, we want to get that back," Terry told Chelsea TV.

"And over the course of the season, to show that consistency and get that back off Man United would be fantastic.

"They [Manchester United] have had two good years and you have to stand back and take your hat off to them, but we know we were good last year and we have another level to go to.

"Last year I think we saw the very best of Man United, but we have got an awful lot to come from last year.

"We have got improvements to make, but I think Man United are at their peak.

"The Premier League is the one we want and when the Champions League starts again, it's going to be exciting."

I think JT should aim low, start with Carling, FA and work his way up from there. No room for slip-ups this year. :o

Scolari hails progress

Luiz Felipe Scolari has spoken of his delight with his Chelsea side as he puts the finishing touches on their pre-season preparations.

The Blues are back on the training ground following their Asian tour and Brazilian boss Scolari is relishing working with a set of players he has described as 'brilliant'.

And he believes fine tuning setpieces in particular could give his side a slight but crucial advantage as the season draws ever closer.

He told ChelseaTV: "I need to work more on free-kicks because on the tour I did not have the chance to work with this.

"Now I want more options for the players, for the team, and this area is my focus."

Former Portugal boss Scolari has completed a month in his new job following Euro 2008 and is happy with the progress he has made in that time.

"Now I have more confidence," he said. "I play four games and I know more my players. These two weeks with the players are very important to me.

"I know very well the players now, their reactions. I have had one month with the players, every day together. Now I have more choice than before."

Scolari also hailed the attitude of his players, adding: "They surprise me in one question - they are very professional. I never saw in my life players more professional than these players. Brilliant."

Despite winning the Premier League title twice under Jose Mourinho, Chelsea were often criticised for a negative style of play.

That continued under Avram Grant last season but in revealing his tactical plans, Scolari implied that may not be the case this season - while the 59-year-old is also likely to prove one of the more colourful Premier League managers.

"(On the tour) I started three games as 4-4-2 and at half-time I changed to 4-3-3 - which was normal for Chelsea before - and I looked for the reaction from the team.

"I will try in the next 10 days one new system for a few moments in each game. But normal for us now is 4-4-2 and 4-3-3. They play not bad and I think this is the situation in the future.

"I am involved with the training and in the games I talk with the players and I talk with the bench.

"It's difficult for me only to look, see and not say something, and they accept this and I think they are receptive."

Chelsea make Robinho bid

Chelsea have confirmed they have lodged a bid for Real Madrid forward Robinho.

Sky Sports News broke the news earlier on Thursday and are of the understanding a £19.7million offer has been made.

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has made no secret of his desire to link-up with his Brazilian compatriot and now the Blues have upped the transfer ante.

"Further to media reports, Chelsea Football Club can confirm we have made an offer to Real Madrid today (Thursday, August 7) for the transfer of Robinho," read a statement on the club's official website.

Earlier this week Robinho refused to rule out a move to Stamford Bridge, while Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has openly declared the club's interest in the player.

Real Madrid have repeatedly expressed a desire to keep the South American in the Spanish capital but the recent signing of Rafael van der Vaart does give them amble cover in Robinho's position, even when taking into account Wesley Sneijder's injury troubles.

Robinho was thought to be unsettled by talk he could be used as a makeweight in Madrid's bid to land Cristiano Ronaldo, a deal which has now been shelved.

Chelsea earlier this month conceded their bid to sign Robinho would be their last of the summer should it prove successful.

Cole sees tight top four

Joe Cole feels Arsenal and Liverpool will close the gap on Chelsea and Manchester United this season.

Cole still feels United and Chelsea are best placed again in the Premier League this year, as they have something extra.

But the England star can see Arsenal and Liverpool being much closer this time around.

"Manchester United and Chelsea have learnt how to win games in different ways, but Liverpool and Arsenal are different," he told the Daily Mirror.

"They are both great sides on their day, but maybe they don't win enough games when they don't play well.

"Both are improving though, and they'll push us all the way this season."

Cole admits he was shocked that Arsenal were challenging Chelsea and United for much of last season.

"It did surprise me. The way they started was incredible," he said.

"But people were talking about them like they were the Harlem Globetrotters.

"This season, with a bigger squad and more experience, they'll be stronger.

"Obviously Cesc Fabregas is their top player, but I was really impressed with the way Theo Walcott finished the season.

"If people aren't demanding him to be in the England team, they're writing him off.

"But I think he'll develop into a world-class player if people just give him some space to express himself."

Cole also still sees United as the main cause of concern.

"The emergence of Ronaldo as the best player in the world took them to the next level but they can score from anywhere," he continued.

"Rooney, Giggs, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, Scholes, Carrick...the list goes on.

"I was talking to Michael Carrick about their change of system last season and they work a lot on movement and rotation.

"Different players will pop up in different positions, which makes it so hard to play against."

Lampard agrees new Chelsea deal

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has signed a new five-year contract, which will keep him at the club until 2014.

The England international had run into the final year of his deal and was a target for Inter Milan, who are managed by ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

But Lampard, who held out for a long-term contract, has finally agreed a new deal which he says will keep him at the club for the rest of his career.

Lampard, 30, moved to Stamford Bridge from West Ham for £11m in June 2001.

"I see it as my final big contract and I will play out my days at Chelsea," said Lampard after signing his new deal on Wednesday. "I want to finish my career at Chelsea.

"It is something I've said many times and, after signing this contract, I am very happy and positive I will finish as a player here."

"I've had seven great seasons here and now I can have many more," he told Chelsea TV.

Speculation surrounding the goal-scoring midfielder rumbled on throughout the season as the Londoner entered the final year of his previous contract - and it intensified when former Blues boss Mourinho tabled a bid to take him to Inter Milan after he became their manager in June.

"Everyone knows [inter] Milan made a bid for me and that was something I had to look at," Lampard admitted.

"That was a possibility when we knew they had made an offer for me, I had to make a decision for myself and this club has been very, very good to me.

"I don't see any squads as strong as us. I feel very excited to be part of the future and now hopefully we can win back some titles."

He also thanked the club for giving him time to decide on his future, especially in light of the death of his mother in April.

Everyone knows [inter] Milan made a bid for me and that was something I had to look at

Frank Lampard

"My world got turned upside down and I don't think it is anything anyone appreciates until you go through it," added Lampard. "The club gave me time and I appreciate that.

"I feel for sure I've made 100% the right decision, for myself, for my family and for Chelsea Football Club."

He also touched on reports which suggested Chelsea had only been willing to offer Lampard a four-year contract, with the player holding out for a longer deal.

"It has taken a while to get the deal done and there has been a bit of compromise on both sides," he said.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon admitted that contract talks had dragged on, but only because it was such a major decision for Lampard to make.

"It's taken both Frank and the club longer than we originally thought," he said.

"Whatever has gone on I think there is that underlying desire that we get there. This is a great day for the club."

When he joined the club in July new Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari immediately made plain his desire to keep hold of Lampard, as he considers the player a crucial ingredient within his squad.

"He is a key player for me and vital to Chelsea's future successes," Scolari said.

"Frank is one of the best professionals I have worked with. Every day he tries to learn something and bring new elements to his game."

Lampard has made 247 appearances for Chelsea and scored 71 goals.