Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

My mistake saying it was Lazio. when it was in fact Roma. However, this "kidnapping of young boys" as it's emotively been put, is of grave concern. Chelsea aren't alone in this and I understand that others may well follow. For instance, Chelsea representatives actually landed a helicopter on a playing field to take one youngster away. Since then he has not been on the radar at all. I've been following this kind of activity since been made aware by an English, South American football correspondent (Tim, something or another) who regularly appears on 5 Live's football phone-in -- it's available on podcast.

You mean they actually kidnapped the kid :) ,so did they play him or just hold him for ransom :D

He's knocking a ball about on the upper deck of an Oil Tanker in the Sudan now :D

My mistake saying it was Lazio. when it was in fact Roma. However, this "kidnapping of young boys" as it's emotively been put, is of grave concern. Chelsea aren't alone in this and I understand that others may well follow. For instance, Chelsea representatives actually landed a helicopter on a playing field to take one youngster away. Since then he has not been on the radar at all. I've been following this kind of activity since been made aware by an English, South American football correspondent (Tim, something or another) who regularly appears on 5 Live's football phone-in -- it's available on podcast.

You mean they actually kidnapped the kid :) ,so did they play him or just hold him for ransom :D

Maybe you should ask a certain Mr Tim Vickery (alluded to above). He is a Spurs supporter after all. :D

Blues defend Kakuta signing

Chelsea are adamant the signing of Gael Kakuta is not 'child trafficking' and say they will support a ban on the international transfer of players aged under 18.

Fifa have handed the Blues an 18-month transfer ban after finding the Premier League club guilty of inducing Kakuta, then 16, to break a contract with Lens back in 2007.

Chelsea are appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and the club's chief executive Kenyon has claimed there has been shock at the ban.

Fifa and Uefa both want to outlaw international transfers of players aged under 18, and the bodies have referred to the practice as being akin to child trafficking.

But Kenyon said: "It was something that happened two years ago that was in no way child trafficking.

"I think you've also got to distinguish between the issues."

Kenyon added that Kakuta, now 18 and viewed as France's most promising young player, had also been stunned by Fifa's verdict.

He said: "He wants to play his profession, which is football.

"We need to take account for that and understand this is something that happened two years ago, and make sure we've got enough support around him to ensure he's fully supported at a difficult time."

Kenyon, speaking after a meeting of the European Club Association (ECA) in Geneva,insisted Chelsea would support a ban on the international transfer of players aged under 18.

He said: "This has been talked about for the last 12 months and we have signed up fully to the ECA and UEFA's position, along with FIFA's.

"We need to separate our overall position with the specific case. The fact we are appealing tells you our position."

Stoke 1 - 2 Chelsea

Florent Malouda struck deep in stoppage time as Chelsea claimed a last-gasp victory over Stoke and maintained their 100% start to the season.

The hosts took a surprise lead when Abdoulaye Faye capitalised on Petr Cech's indecision by heading Glenn Whelan's cross into an empty net.

Chelsea replied in first-half injury time, Didier Drogba spinning Faye and smashing home Frank Lampard's pass.

They bombarded Stoke late on and Malouda drove in a 94th minute winner.

It was a dramatic end to a pulsating encounter and the result, which Chelsea deserved, keeps the Blues top of the league with five wins from as many games.

Given the number of chances they created in the second half, boss Carlo Ancelotti will wonder how his side failed to confirm the three points earlier.

But, considering the recent bad press the club have received in relation to their recruitment policy, the win provides them with a timely boost.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis might though take consolation from the way his side defended throughout and, although they drop out of the top six, their performance suggested a promising season ahead.

Attempting to guide his club to a first league win against Chelsea since 1975, Pulis opted to dispense with his trusted 4-4-2 formation in favour of a 5-3-2, which was designed to combat marauding full-backs Jose Bosingwa and Ashley Cole.

And, although Chelsea dominated possession in the opening stages, Stoke rarely looked in danger of conceding.

Perhaps considering Tuesday's Champions League opener against Porto, Ancelotti made four changes to the team that beat Burnley last time out and Chelsea struggled to establish any sort of rhythm early on.

They might have gone behind inside 10 minutes when Branislav Ivanovic inexplicably diverted a long ball into the path of James Beattie.

Beattie, returning from three weeks out with a knee injury, raced through on goal but dragged his shot horribly wide and, to make matters worse, fell awkwardly in the process and had to be substituted.

Chelsea had been warned and, despite enjoying a period of sustained pressure, they were soon punished.

Whelan collected possession on the right and sent in a hopeful left-footed cross which Cech came for but then withdrew, allowing Faye to head home.

Chelsea responded positively to the set-back and continued to take the game to a Stoke side who were defending ominously deep.

Cole shot straight at Thomas Sorensen from an acute angle and Jon Mikel Obi had a thumping drive bravely blocked by former Blues centre-half Robert Huth.

Injuries to Beattie, Cole and Sorensen saw eight minutes of stoppage time added at the end of the first half, and Chelsea used it as an opportunity to strike.

Ancelotti praises Chelsea strength

Lampard was able to get away from Whelan and slide a delicious ball through to Drogba, who rolled Faye and unleashed a thunderous first-time left-footed drive across substitute goalkeeper Steve Simonsen and into the top corner.

Chelsea started the second half as they finished the first and, were it not for Stoke's resilience, the Blues might have seen their dominance reflected on the scoresheet.

Salomon Kalou came within inches of connecting with a Malouda centre and Drogba blasted over the bar after Faye hesitated with his clearance.

A temporary lull ensued but Stoke almost regained the lead when Huth rose above Michael Ballack and headed just over from Whelan's corner.

But it was all Chelsea from that moment on, Lampard and Michael Essien squandered a couple of chances each before Drogba had a goal-bound effort blocked by Faye.

The visitors were flooding forward but found themselves repelled time and again until Simonsen failed to keep out a fizzing Malouda effort at the death.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis:

"The result is disappointing for us because we battled really hard and defended well.

"They had a lot of possession second half and got a lot of bodies forward. We have given them a game and made them work hard.

"We haven't got the quality Chelsea have. I hold my hands up to that. They are a very good side.

"But our attitude and commitment and everyone's willingness to work will take us a long way."

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti:

"We got what we deserved because we tried to attack all the time. I am very happy because it was a difficult game.

"We maintained good control throughout the match and that was important. We applied a lot of pressure and were rewarded for our play.

"We know all about Stoke and were not surprised by the way they play. We were ready for a physical match and knew how to deal with the long ball.

"To be top of the league is very important. We have good confidence in our play and a very good atmosphere in the dressing room."

Did your boys on there periods or something? I have never seen such a bunch of mardarsed whinging cheating <deleted> in all my life. Just how many times did the have to surround the referee whinging like girls? Terry and Lumpard being the usual suspects - highly embarrassing.

Didn't like getting a bit of there own medicine did they?!!

Utterly pathetic.

Very pissed off we didn't hang on more than anything because it would of pissed them off even more. Oh and where did the 5 minutes in the second half come from?!? 2 or 3 max.

As for us - the two injuries screwed our chances as in the 2nd I would highly of expected us to have revert to 442.

So you got lucky and unfortunately 3 points. :)

Did your boys on there periods or something? I have never seen such a bunch of mardarsed whinging cheating <deleted> in all my life. Just how many times did the have to surround the referee whinging like girls? Terry and Lumpard being the usual suspects - highly embarrassing.

Didn't like getting a bit of there own medicine did they?!!

Utterly pathetic.

Very pissed off we didn't hang on more than anything because it would of pissed them off even more. Oh and where did the 5 minutes in the second half come from?!? 2 or 3 max.

As for us - the two injuries screwed our chances as in the 2nd I would highly of expected us to have revert to 442.

So you got lucky and unfortunately 3 points. :D

Any chance you wrote this reply after a few too many changs? :)

Unfortunately I was 100% cold sober!

Just how many times did Terry, Lumpard, Cashley, Drogba (and the rest) need to surround the referee crying like girls because one of the big nasty Stoke players dared to tackle them??!?

I witness plenty of it from Manure last season but your lot took the piss on Saturday. Mike Dean if he'd had any kind of spine should of booked them the first time and told them piss off and if you do it again and you're off rather than just being intimidated.

Strange ain't it the 3 main stoppages in the first half which caused a supposed 8 minutes of stoppage time were Beattie, Sorensen and Drogba . . . even stranger that both Beattie and Sorensen were actually injured and had to leave the pitch whereas Drogba the dying fly was 100% ok and scored a goal. I mean who'd think it? :)

I don't care whatever way you look at it but I prefer my team to act like grown men not spoil brats spitting there dummies out at any man-sized challenge. Just like the 50/50 ball Shawcross and Cashley played for Cashley when down and rolled out like he'd been shot whilst Lumpy and Terry shouted at the ref whilst Shawcross just dusted himself down and continued (and for some reason got a yellow card!).

Footie is supposed to be contact sport played by men . . . I await to see how the Manure referee baiting goes a week on Saturday - god I hope we get a referee with a spine.

Ancelotti wants improvements

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti admits there is room for improvement after watching his side stutter to a 1-0 win over Porto on his UEFA Champions League debut with the Blues.

The former AC Milan boss has been mandated with the task of winning the European Cup after being appointed by club owner Roman Abramovich in the summer.

But Ancelotti, a winner on the continent's grandest competition as a player and manager at the San Siro, did not see his side give a clear indication of his credentials.

A second-half goal from Nicolas Anelka secured three points against Porto in Group D, but Chelsea were a shadow of the side which has a 100 per cent record in this season's Premier League.

Ancelotti is, therefore, relieved to have earned the win at a rain-swept Stamford Bridge, pointing to a gruelling, late victory at Stoke last Saturday as a reason for a below-par midweek performance.

He told Sky Sports: "We know we could do better but it was a difficult night because Porto played very well at the end of the match.

"We were a bit tired at the end, but it was an important result.

"We have to control more of the game when we have the advantage. We are a little bit tired. We had a very strong match last Saturday.

"It is important to win and start well in the group. Porto is the best team in this group (other than Chelsea). It is a good result."

Chelsea were without Didier Drogba, with the star striker suspended following his outburst in the wake last season's semi-final heartbreak against Barcelona, and the Ivory Coast international's presence was missed in attack.

Ancelotti, though, was pleased with the performance of Anelka, who was dropped to the bench at Stoke, and Salomon Kalou.

The Chelsea boss said: "Didier is an important player, but Anelka scored the goal and Kalou did a very good job.

"Anelka is a good player, a fantastic striker. He can play without Didier and with Didier. He has no problem."

Meanwhile midfielder Frank Lampard also confesses Chelsea were not at their best on Tuesday.

"It was a great result, we weren't at our best tonight but it was a difficult night and we got the win," he said.

"You can't always play top, top football. The ball was skidding about, some of our passing went astray, but we've got to stay strong and win the game, and that's what we did."

Asked whether Chelsea felt additional motivation to succeed in Europe following the controversial defeat to Barca, Lampard said: "Every year is different, and every year we go into it we want to win it. There's no year we want it more than any other.

"We wanted it last year badly, when we nearly got to the final, and this year we want it badly again."

Farewell slap head!! :)

Chelsea confirm Kenyon exit

Chelsea have confirmed that chief executive Peter Kenyon is leaving the club in a full-time capacity from the end of October.

The former Manchester United chief will continue to be a non-executive director and represent the Blues on various Uefa and European Clubs' Association committees.

Kenyon, who has spent over five years at Chelsea, is extremely proud of his work at Stamford Bridge and is pleased he can continue contributing to the club further down the line.

The 55-year-old intends to take a break from the game before deciding where to go from there, although he has confirmed he would like one more challenge before retiring.

"I am extremely proud of my time at Chelsea and of the friendships I have forged with everyone here," he told the club's official website.

"I have been in football for 15 years and I can say with great certainty and pleasure the experience at Chelsea is one of the best I have had.

"When I joined Chelsea it was an incredible challenge and together with all the staff, the players, the board and Roman (Abramovich), I think we have really built a club, in a relatively short space of time, that can be in the forefront of European football for many years to come. That is a major achievement.

"I am also delighted that our relationship is not ending and I can continue to make a contribution to keeping Chelsea in that position and to go back to visit friends.

"I intend to take a little time off before considering what I do next but I am certain I have at least one major challenge left in me."

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has hailed Kenyon's work, stating the club would not be where it is now without his input.

Buck added: "Peter has done a fantastic job for Chelsea in the last five-and-a-half years and has been absolutely central to the success on and off the field we have had during that time.

"Without his football knowledge and business acumen Chelsea would not be where we are today. Everyone at Chelsea thanks him for that contribution.

"When Peter first joined us we knew we were recruiting a top executive from business generally, not just football. With that always came a certain inevitability he would eventually want to seek a new challenge and I am sure that is what he will do.

"Whatever his next permanent job we wish him the best of luck in the future. He will always be welcome back at Chelsea."

Yeah thats right Mr T, now Roman has tightened the purse strings I feel this gutless, spineless slithering snake is seeking pastures new to get his blood sucking fangs into....I like the way he says he intends to take a break.....isnt that called gardening leave? no doubt he has something else lined up already.....its just a guessing game but I wouldn't be surprised if a certain team from Manchester and not the red side unveiled him as their CE.... :)

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti admits there is room for improvement after watching his side stutter to a 1-0 win over Porto on his UEFA Champions League debut with the Blues.

The former AC Milan boss has been mandated with the task of winning the European Cup after being appointed by club owner Roman Abramovich in the summer.

But Ancelotti, a winner on the continent's grandest competition as a player and manager at the San Siro, did not see his side give a clear indication of his credentials.

A second-half goal from Nicolas Anelka secured three points against Porto in Group D, but Chelsea were a shadow of the side which has a 100 per cent record in this season's Premier League.

Ancelotti is, therefore, relieved to have earned the win at a rain-swept Stamford Bridge, pointing to a gruelling, late victory at Stoke last Saturday as a reason for a below-par midweek performance.

He told Sky Sports: "We know we could do better but it was a difficult night because Porto played very well at the end of the match.

"We have to control more of the game when we have the advantage. We are a little bit tired. We had a very strong match last Saturday.

"It is important to win and start well in the group. Porto is the best team in this group (other than Chelsea). It is a good result."

Chelsea were without Didier Drogba, with the star striker suspended following his outburst in the wake last season's semi-final heartbreak against Barcelona, and the Ivory Coast international's presence was missed in attack.

Ancelotti, though, was pleased with the performance of Anelka, who was dropped to the bench at Stoke, and Salomon Kalou.

The Chelsea boss said: "Didier is an important player, but Anelka scored the goal and Kalou did a very good job.

"Anelka is a good player, a fantastic striker. He can play without Didier and with Didier. He has no problem."

Meanwhile midfielder Frank Lampard also confesses Chelsea were not at their best on Tuesday.

"It was a great result, we weren't at our best tonight but it was a difficult night and we got the win," he said.

"You can't always play top, top football. The ball was skidding about, some of our passing went astray, but we've got to stay strong and win the game, and that's what we did."

Asked whether Chelsea felt additional motivation to succeed in Europe following the controversial defeat to Barca, Lampard said: "Every year is different, and every year we go into it we want to win it. There's no year we want it more than any other.

"We wanted it last year badly, when we nearly got to the final, and this year we want it badly again."

I've been down Samui way for 10 days,S.I haven't seen any football so how did we play?

I've been down Samui way for 10 days,S.I haven't seen any football so how did we play?

scraped by Porto and Stoke.

Happy birthday Oldgit.

See you in january.

Take care Marcel

Thanks,mate.62 years young. :)

Happy belated mate, don't they have tv's down on Samui? haha yeah bkkjames was right we haven't looked too impressive, Ancelotti was saying we were looking tired. The only positive to come is Joey is back in the frame, he will be a bit rusty of course but we are really lacking width, maybe if we can get him out on the right and Malouda on the left we can get some balance so the goals will start to flow......you remember Ziggy? he got married the other day, I was supposed to go to the wedding but couldnt make it unfortunately, looks like they had a good'n!

Happy birthday Oldgit.

See you in january.

Take care Marcel

Happy belated mate, don't they have tv's down on Samui? haha yeah bkkjames was right we haven't looked too impressive, Ancelotti was saying we were looking tired. The only positive to come is Joey is back in the frame, he will be a bit rusty of course but we are really lacking width, maybe if we can get him out on the right and Malouda on the left we can get some balance so the goals will start to flow......you remember Ziggy? he got married the other day, I was supposed to go to the wedding but couldnt make it unfortunately, looks like they had a good'n!

I was banned from watching any football by the ol' lady.You can tell who wears the pants in Oldgit Towers!I saw a recording of the Stoke game and thought Drogba was outstanding.Could it be that we missed him in the Porto game?For some reason, UBC aren't showing any replays of the Champions League games.A big plus that Joe is ready but,with such a long lay off,I wonder if he'll ever recapture his best form.I would like to see Deco used a bit more as he looked fit and back to his best against Sunderland.Yeah,I remember Ziggy very well.The boy can certainly put his beer away.....with a little help from his mucker,Mr. S :D .Give him my regards,mate.

Happy birthday Oldgit.

See you in january.

Take care Marcel

I was banned from watching any football by the ol' lady.You can tell who wears the pants in Oldgit Towers!I saw a recording of the Stoke game and thought Drogba was outstanding.Could it be that we missed him in the Porto game?For some reason, UBC aren't showing any replays of the Champions League games.A big plus that Joe is ready but,with such a long lay off,I wonder if he'll ever recapture his best form.I would like to see Deco used a bit more as he looked fit and back to his best against Sunderland.Yeah,I remember Ziggy very well.The boy can certainly put his beer away.....with a little help from his mucker,Mr. S :D .Give him my regards,mate.

This is unacceptable OG. You need to show who wears the boots around your place mate - that or get another TV. :D

Cole delighted with comeback

Joe Cole was ecstatic to be back in action for Chelsea on Wednesday, helping them to a 1-0 Carling Cup third round win over Queens Park Rangers.

The midfielder was handed his first start for the Blues since January, following a long-term knee problem, while he also took the captain's armband in the absence of John Terry from Carlo Ancelotti's starting XI.

The England international put in a lively performance at Stamford Bridge and set up Salomon's Kalou winner shortly after the interval.

"I'm back now and it's blinding," Cole said. "But I'm not going to get ahead of myself. There is going to be a lot of ups and downs. All I can do is keep working hard in training."

Chelsea also fielded youngsters Sam Hutchinson and Fabio Borini against Rangers, and assistant manager Ray Wilkins was delighted with how the pair got on.

"If you see the size of the squad we have, a lot don't play week-in week-out so it's vital for them to get airtime," he said.

"It's entirely up to the young men to push themselves forward and the two that played have been doing so in the reserves and training.

"We want to win everything we enter. Every side that takes to the field in a Chelsea shirt wants to win the game and the tournament they are playing in. If we can blood a few on the way, all well and good."

Wilkins also paid tribute to the resilience on show from QPR, forcing Chelsea to throw on their big guns as time ticked away.

"It's a testament to QPR that we had to use Frank (Lampard), Ashley (Cole) and John (Terry)," he added.

"QPR equipped themselves very well and gave us a very tough evening. It was nice to see Joe and Paulo (Ferreira) come through the 90 minutes, Yuri (Zhirkov) got a good hour and the two youngsters did very well too."

Rangers boss Jim Magilton also hailed the showing from his side, believing the performance they put in against the Premier League leaders will stand them in good stead for the future.

"We have to use it as a springboard," he said. "We have a chance of promotion, like 14 other clubs. "We had a lack of belief in the final third but I was immensely proud of the overall performance."

Magilton, who started with two strikers, added: "I'm not naive but that is the way I thought we could get after Chelsea. We were encouraged against Cardiff in our last game and some players may not get back to Stamford Bridge so I couldn't deny them that by resting them."

Referee: Mike Jones (Cheshire) 4 It is often a bitter accusation levelled at referees in defeat in these matches that a Premiership referee looks after Premiership players. Mike Jones did little to distance himself from that idea on Wednesday. The Chelsea goal could have been disallowed for three separate offences, some of the free kicks given to the host were soft in the extreme and some of the things QPR were left to suffer with no free kick, including a horrible tackle from behind on Jay Simpson just before he went off, were astonishing. Ably assisted on the line by Mike Cairns who turned in just about the worst performance I have ever seen from an assistant referee.

Attendance: 37,781 (6000 QPR approx) As you would expect, fairly quiet from the home fans who rank this competition low on their list of priorities and probably feel they have bigger fish to fry. At the other end the QPR fans were in great voice, thankfully steering clear of the disgusting Didier Drogba chant, and backing the team throughout. Everybody chuckled at the John terry chants and Paul Furlong got a standing ovation from the R’s at half time while the Chelsea fans had to have it explained to them via the public address system exactly who he is.

Referee: Mike Jones (Cheshire) 4 It is often a bitter accusation levelled at referees in defeat in these matches that a Premiership referee looks after Premiership players. Mike Jones did little to distance himself from that idea on Wednesday. The Chelsea goal could have been disallowed for three separate offences, some of the free kicks given to the host were soft in the extreme and some of the things QPR were left to suffer with no free kick, including a horrible tackle from behind on Jay Simpson just before he went off, were astonishing. Ably assisted on the line by Mike Cairns who turned in just about the worst performance I have ever seen from an assistant referee.

Attendance: 37,781 (6000 QPR approx) As you would expect, fairly quiet from the home fans who rank this competition low on their list of priorities and probably feel they have bigger fish to fry. At the other end the QPR fans were in great voice, thankfully steering clear of the disgusting Didier Drogba chant, and backing the team throughout. Everybody chuckled at the John terry chants and Paul Furlong got a standing ovation from the R's at half time while the Chelsea fans had to have it explained to them via the public address system exactly who he is.

Climb down off your high horse will yer.Furlong wasn't exactly a household name at Chelsea as he apparently is at QPR scoring a handful of goals in the middle 90's.I remember him as a wasteful striker who looked better than he was.

That performance,on and off the field was the stuff of nightmares.For the first 15 minutes,I was thinking this wasn't going to be a problem,then Wigan grabbed a goal from some of the most inept defending I have seen and their confidence grew.I can't think of one Chelsea player who put in a worthy performance.Wigan pressurised us in midfield and,where before we were able to wriggle out of these situations with our slick passing,that wasn't evident yesterday.Next up we have a bang-in-form Liverpool.If we put in another abortion of a performance like that one,we might as well give them the points now.Ancellotti has got his work cut out this week.

Guess that means Chech won't be available for your match with Pool? might be a good thing. :)

He's banned for three games.As I 've said before,I don't think Cech is as good as his reputation so I'm not unduly bothered about his absence.However,what does concern me is Hilario as first choice replacement.I think Turnbull should be given a chance.Oh, and the rest of the team need to turn up this time.

Not the most exciting of games but could see some improvement, big win all the same!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Liverpool

Nicolas Anelka and Florent Malouda sent Chelsea back to the top of the Premier League as their second-half goals gave Carlo Ancelotti's side a deserved victory over Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.

The enigmatic Didier Drogba - who mixed theatrics with threat in an encounter that was competitive rather than compelling - won the battle of the strikers with Liverpool's Fernando Torres to make decisive contributions and set up Chelsea's win.

Drogba, who infuriated Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez with his antics when coming into contact with opposing defenders, set up former Liverpool striker Anelka for a simple close-range finish on the hour to break the deadlock.

And in injury time he made light of the presence of Jamie Carragher and Fabio Aurelio to slide in another cross for substitute Malouda to seal the win.

Chelsea boss Ancelotti's usually impassive mask slipped in a wild touchline celebration, acknowledging the significance of beating a Liverpool side expected to be a serious threat to their Premier League ambitions, plus the importance of reacting swiftly to the shock defeat at Wigan.

And it was all done without suspended keeper Petr Cech, with his replacement Hilario distinguishing himself when called upon.

For Liverpool and manager Benitez, defeat capped a disappointing week after they slumped against Fiorentina in the Champions League on Tuesday.

The Reds threatened only occasionally, with Torres subdued by a magnificent performance from Chelsea and England captain John Terry, who repelled any danger that came his side's way.

Substitute Yossi Benayoun missed the visitors' best chance, but that came after Malouda had doubled Chelsea's advantage, with Hilario also clawing away Steven Gerrard's 20-yard drive in the closing stages.

It was Liverpool's third league defeat of the season, eclipsing the number of losses they had in their entire campaign last term, and Benitez has much to ponder in the international break as they failed to rise to a vital occasion.

Emotions could not be more contrasting for counterpart Ancelotti, who will see his reputation at Stamford Bridge enhanced after the Blues ultimately out-manoeuvred their opponents.

Liverpool's midfield was strengthened by the return of Javier Mascherano after injury - and he played a crucial role in protecting his defence in a scrappy, niggly opening period.

Torres set the tone early on with a nasty challenge that floored Terry, then Michael Essien was fortunate not to connect with a reckless lunge at Mascherano, although the Argentine did himself little credit with a dramatic collapse.

The home side's best hope of a breakthrough looked to be via the aerial route, with Drogba and Anelka both having headers comfortably collected by Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina.

And Michael Ballack should have done better than head Deco's free-kick off target at the near post after he escaped the attentions of the Liverpool defence.

Chelsea had exerted a small measure of supremacy as the half wore on, but Liverpool's threat was still in evidence. Torres wasted a clear opportunity when he headed Dirk Kuyt's cross straight at Hilario.

And the stand-in keeper came to Chelsea's rescue on the stroke of half-time when he reacted late to Albert Riera's 30-yard free-kick but managed to dive low to his right to turn it around the post.

Frank Lampard had been a peripheral presence, but he made a crucial contribution as Chelsea took a lead they just about deserved on the hour.

He turned the tables on Mascherano by robbing the combative midfield man in possession and fed Deco. Deco in turn found Drogba, whose cross provided an open invitation for Anelka to turn a finish high past Reina from point-blank range.

It was Drogba at his menacing best, but the striker spent too much time reverting to his bad old ways, throwing himself to the ground - and staying there - even though contact had been minimal at best.

When he did stay on his feet he was, as always, a huge threat and Reina was grateful to see his angled low free-kick swerve narrowly wide from 25 yards.

The goal at least impressed on Liverpool the urgency of attempting to trouble the Chelsea goal, and Torres scuffed a presentable opportunity wide with 10 minutes left after Gerrard drove into the penalty area.

Drogba again demonstrated his power and threat as Chelsea wrapped up the points in injury time, dismissing the presence of Carragher and Aurelio to set up Malouda for the simplest of finishes.

Phew! That was hard work but we got there in the end.Lampard continues to struggle and his passing is way below what it should be.Too many times,especially in the first half,his final ball into the penalty area was off target or too strong.Maybe he needs to sit out a few games on the subs bench.Drogba was at his most irritatating but brilliant best.His assists in the two goals were superb but what a tart he is! Liverpool can feel hard done by with the result as the controlled a lot of the game.If it wasn't for Essien,who was my man of the match,our midfield could have been overrun.He was brilliant in breaking up attacks and steaming on to put Liverpool on the back foot.

Deco started slowly but got better and Ballack had a good game.Deco looks much fitter than last season.The defence had to be superb and they were,especially Terry and Ashley Cole.Hilario surprised me. Was it that bright orange jersey that made him look like a beach ball last week,or has he shed two stone in seven days?He brought off a couple of outstanding saves.