Accident Records for Vans, Buses May be Posted Online

webfact

Accident Records for Vans, Buses May be Posted Online
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14633762641463376318l.jpg
A bus rode up onto the platform and injured five waiting passengers March 21 at the Lampang Bus Station.

BANGKOK — Long-haul buses were involved in 104 accidents last year, which left 82 people dead and 1,528 injured. Those ubiquitous silver and white passenger vans? Ninety-eight accidents killed 104 people and injured 847, according to the Thailand Development Research Institute.

To provide passengers information about the safety records of both public and private operators, transportation officials formally announced today they will launch a website with accident data to help people make informed public transportation decisions.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1463376264

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-16

Sounds good. If authorities can't improve vehicle safety by f.i. doing annual technical checkups for the breaks etc., then perhaps passengers can improve the quality by avoiding companies with poorer statistics. If the drivers are crap, mortality rates will indirectly show that too. It needs one company to distinguish itself by better safety statistics and the competition is on. Then again, all this is theoretically spoken...

Interesting. As for the minivans I think 1 thing should be made easier fo all of us including thai:

telling the driver to slow down if he goes too fast. it's NOT-done here and the few times I did (better some clown losing his face than me losing my life) the drivers often acted immature or plain rude, which btw didn't stop me to keep on telling them to slow down and respecting the speed limits. on a sidenote I have told many a driver he drove excellent too, in a full van clearly to be heard by all passengers, which GIVES him face and which is what i like around here.

So they will reveal the safety statistics of interprovincial buses which in some instances you may still be forced to use as they are the only option as there is only one or two operators at most on certain routes.

Edited by stoneyboy

It will make no different as the Axxholes will still be driving on the roads.The people that need to take these transportation's are not going to study the reports on line even if they had a computer or smart phone.and boycott them as it is their only means of transportation. The government will not change the laws to take the dangerous drivers and owners off the road because many of them are owned by the law makers themselfs..

Hard to believe that passenger vans only had 100 accidents in a year.

That is just 2 a week... If that was for Phuket alone I would believe it, but for the whole of Thailand?

Of course the figures aren't accurate - what did you expect?

BTW they probably mean accidents in which a fatality or serious injury occured amongst the passengers on the van. Anything else like a squashed motorcyclist or two, is hardly worth bothering about.

Only 82 people died on interprovincial buses ,I'm sure I read more than that many in the crashes mentioned on tv,maybe I wrong

You may be wrong, they may be wrong. Ask yourself which is more likely.

With one eye on libel laws and the other on tourist confidence, they are not likely to reveal the true extent of the problem.

I believe the likelihood of this actually happening is similar to the likelihood of the double deckers disappearing from the roads, vanishingly small. How may times has that been promised over the last 2 years?

When the headline reads Accident Records for Vans, Buses ARE NOW Posted Online you can sit up and take notice. The MAY BE says it all really.

And BTW even if that happens the statistics will neither be accredited or credible.

Interesting. As for the minivans I think 1 thing should be made easier fo all of us including thai:

telling the driver to slow down if he goes too fast. it's NOT-done here and the few times I did (better some clown losing his face than me losing my life) the drivers often acted immature or plain rude, which btw didn't stop me to keep on telling them to slow down and respecting the speed limits. on a sidenote I have told many a driver he drove excellent too, in a full van clearly to be heard by all passengers, which GIVES him face and which is what i like around here.

Good point, I like your approach.

It's definitely correct and worth doing it.

But you know for Thai people, in my opinion it's deep rooted in their culture not to interfere with other's behaviour.

As you said, they rather die than telling the driver. They wearing 3 jackets instead of asking to reduce A/C. They don't recline the seat instead of asking the person behind if that's okay.

The last thing, the driver also feels offended if I wear the safety belt. Many asked me if I'm not sure they can drive safely.

It's not the point, I told them there are so many other idiots on the road and it has not necessarily to do with their driving skills.

Edited by CLW

Hard to believe that passenger vans only had 100 accidents in a year.

That is just 2 a week... If that was for Phuket alone I would believe it, but for the whole of Thailand?

Of course the figures aren't accurate - what did you expect?

BTW they probably mean accidents in which a fatality or serious injury occured amongst the passengers on the van. Anything else like a squashed motorcyclist or two, is hardly worth bothering about.

i agree - it would be useful if they gave the defination for 'accident' that the stats are based on