Three inventions that can save children left in hot cars introduced to public

webfact

Three inventions that can save children left in hot cars introduced to public

22_Three-inventions-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Vocational Education Commission yesterday introduced three inventions of vocational students that it says can save children accidentally locked inside hot school van, and that a person is trapped inside a sinking car.

Three wireless life guard devices were shown at the press conference presided over by the Secretary-general of the OVEC Dr Chaipruek Serirak.

These wireless devices have been invented three years ago.

First is the electronic device that will be installed inside the vehicle to detect all movements in the vehicle.

This electronic device is the invention of Lampang Technical College.

In case of emergency at critical moment, the device will order the opening of the doors, and make emergency siren sound and send out short message that shows GPS location to phone number that is preset.

A second device is a carbon dioxide detector invented by Nakhon Pathom Technical College.

The device functions automatically when somebody is trapped inside a car and carbon dioxide inside exceeds 1,000 ppm.

The last invention is a tempered glass breaker invented by Ubon Ratchathani Technical College.

The device can break the flat tempered window easily when the vehicle is sinking to enable trapper persons to come out safely.

The three inventions have won awards at provincial, regional and national level contests.

These devices are not expensive and cost from 3,000-25,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163597

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-17

"The Office of the Vocational Education Commission yesterday introduced three inventions of vocational students that it says can save children accidentally locked inside hot school van..."

I suppose this will have to do, since trying to introduce common sense and personal responsibility to the general population have been monumental failures.

Edited by jaltsc

Problem 1 - device that detects movement being PIR could be used to unlock the doors and steal the vehicle, as how does the device discrimate movement in car versus someone outside.

Problem 2 - for the Co2 detector would be easy for a dedicated and inventive thief to open the doors with a tube introduced through a door seal and discharge the contents of a small Co2 cylinder and open the doors

Problem 3 - window breaking device - cars with re-moveable headrests already have a window breaker, thats why the steel posts on the headrests have a rounded or pointed end, and are easely removed as they are intended as window breakers as well

Edited by Koosdedooes

Nice to see some brain scratching but I have some doubts about these inventions:

1 - The 'movement detector'
Probably the most interesting although I'd be curious to know how they prevent fake positives (ex someone moving the car from outside).

Not sure it would prevent those incidents as the sleeping kids probably never really moved and just passed out from the heat.

2 - CO2 level detector

I'd like to see the math behind this.1,000ppm CO2 is the threshold at which it becomes uncomfortable breathing. I'm pretty sure it would take quite a long time for a kid breathing to raise the CO2 to that level, at which point it might already be too late. Conversely, you can't really lower that threshold unless you want the doors to be opened anytime the van is packed.
Sidenote: I've often heard Thais complain about 'not being able to breathe' in an office where A/C was down for only a few minutes. This is literally impossible. A regular office room would be breathable for several days even if it was totally hermetically closed.

3 - Window breaker
This 'invention' can befound for 500THB on Lazada.

http://www.lazada.co.th/tkoofn-2-packs-car-escape-safety-glass-hammer-window-breaker-seat-belt-cutter-holder-intl-3484371.html

What is their point in announcing this? Do they really expect a Thai to purchase and install any of them in their vans? They won't even pay to fix car seats or buy a car seat for smaller children. Geez, you're lucky if they pay to replace a headlight or taillight bulb. Even if these gadgets worked no one would buy them.

Instead of finding things that take away the responsibility of the drivers they need to severely punish the ones who had already killed kids due to their negligence. Teach Thais to be responsible for their actions.

i got one. parents with a brain.

That's unfair.

In the most recent case the parents didn't do anything wrong.

You don't have a brain if you let your child drive with any of these maniac van drivers !!

A fair comment, but unfortunately some parents don't have any other option.

I have NEVER heard of someone suffocating inside a car, except in an enclosed area with the motor running, but this is more carbon monoxide poisoning . Many people sleep in their cars. The issue with the kid dying was from the heat, the poor kid was cooked. These 3 "inventions" are a joke, can anyone tell me what has been "invented" that hasn't been around for at least the last 30 years, if not longer. As for PIR's, in a vehicle, what a joke, this is a reason car alarm manufacturers use ultra sonic detectors, in a car PIR's will trigger because of heat, changing light, movement of any kind in the car and outside.

Edited by MediaWatcher

The three inventions have won awards at provincial, regional and national level contests.

I wonder why these three inventions have not won any international level contests. laugh.png

The last invention is a tempered glass breaker invented by Ubon Ratchathani Technical College.

Wow, is that something similar to a piece of stone attached to a piece of wood? That was invented around 6,000BCE already, sorry. clap2.gif

318d3y7MSYL._SY300_.jpg

I bet they haven't invented this one yet.

Um, I believe these "inventions" are for inside the car, granted the glass breaker would work, but hey why not wind the bloody window down....

They haven't invented windows that wind down yet.