Thai wife teaching in Australia

Are there any Australians on here who have experience moving back to Australia and supporting their wife to become a teacher in Australia?

My wife and I are considering our options and while there is a number of good websites giving general info, it would be really nice to talk to someone who has done this first hand. She has a Masters Degree from here in Thailand, her English is good and she has 10 years teaching experience in Primary and Middle School. Our main reason for considering this option would be the possibility of us both earning so much more for maybe 5-10 years then returning to Thailand after that.

I understand there would be a need for approval by the chosen state gov dept, plus the requirement for a English test. But we'd really like to connect with people who have been there and done that, plus hopefully would be happy to have a chat with us about it.

If this is you, please PM me :) Cheers!!!

And would I be right to think that her visa would be a "Partner Visa subclass 8210/801" costing $6865? Or would she go for a work visa?

We're just trying to gather all the info so we can make a decision on what's best.. any help would be greatly appreciated smile.png

Edited by tails

cheers, I figured that, it's more a case of throughly researching our options at this stage

i suspect the cost of immigration and moving may be the killer here in the calcs too

If you are listing the options available onother to think about is your wife teaching Thai in Australia. I did a course at Uni part time under LOTE (languages other than english). I also did a Thai language course at a TAFE college. There are opportunities there but not necessarily in main stream.

Cheers.

• Like 1

tails....there have been a few couples that have taken that route --- some were on here, & I know 2 different couples in Oz at the moment.

They both have one thing in common.........after some year (& becoming a citizen) the wife doesn't want to leave Oz.

Return to be a 2nd class citizen in Thailand--(which most women are viewed as)

There was a post only a few months ago -- where the guy (from Holland I think) came back & lives here alone.

Its the degree thing that is in question.I dont know if Thai degree's are worth the money they are printed on.There are so many fakes available.But i suppose if her degree is real,then it can be verified or checked out in some way.Good luck to lady wife.

Its the degree thing that is in question.I dont know if Thai degree's are worth the money they are printed on.There are so many fakes available.But i suppose if her degree is real,then it can be verified or checked out in some way.Good luck to lady wife.

Of met a few who teach at the ANU in Canberra, but, they also studied for years here too.. Having the degree recognised would be the issue, contacting School authorities would be the best answer...

There would be work for native Thai teachers at some of the private colleges that cater for overseas students - especially the few that appear to have almost exclusively Thai students in the main Australian cities.

• Like 1

She will almost certainly have to gain Australian qualifications before being accepted into mainstream teaching. This normally a 3 - 4 year course. She might be able to get some credit for her Thai degree and teaching experience, but she will almost certainly need at least 2 years full time study to get Australian qualifications.

It is easy to get a job in day care or, as suggested by other, to teach Thai outside the formal education system. It will be very hard for her to get any sort of government job without Australian qualifications.

• Like 2

stevemercer is correct about having to get the correct qualification's to teach in Aust. I have a friend who minds my home while l am in Thai, his wife is Korean, has excellent qualification's teaching english in Korea, but they have given up due to the hoops they have to jump through and the cost involved.

• Like 1

She might get in this way...which is what I am doing when I return to Australia.

She can do 8 subjects first online, and if she passes and can complete the English competency course, can complete course.

Not cheap though, I think in total around $20 000.

She can study on a partner visa.

The best thing about this, is she can study first 3months in Thailand online, and if she doesn't like it, no need to move

https://www.open.edu.au/courses/education/curtin-university-bachelor-of-education-primary-education--cur-bed-deg-2016

Edited by machans88
  • Like 1

My Sydney perspective,, i studied Thai in Sydney, private colleges

put these language courses on but there are more teachers than

positions and if there are less than 20 students the courses are

cancelled. Public and private schools in the cities have an oversupply

of teachers,, vacancies are available in places no one want's to live

such as small outback towns,,, i advise,, do your research..

• Like 1

Just curious here... not meant to offend if taken that way: What is the typical acceptance of an Asian Teacher, teaching English in OZ?

Other than one or two in AMEP , I have never seen one in 40 years. I have ajarn friends that have never seen one ever LOL.

• Like 1

My Sydney perspective,, i studied Thai in Sydney, private colleges

put these language courses on but there are more teachers than

positions and if there are less than 20 students the courses are

cancelled. Public and private schools in the cities have an oversupply

of teachers,, vacancies are available in places no one want's to live

such as small outback towns,,, i advise,, do your research..

cheers ozyjon.... we would have probably gone regional, although after putting together all the pieces of the puzzle we have decided it's probably not worth the cost and effort. We were investigating the possibility of maybe a 5 year stint to make extra cash, give her some more experience in Oz and because I can earn much more. Although the numbers just don't work so it's business as usual for us here and we will just plan some adventures in her school holidays instead... looking forward to hiking to Jim Jim again soon!

While it might be hard for your wife to get a professional job in Australia, there are plenty of office or hotel cleaning jobs at the basic wage (equivalent to about 80,000 Baht per month). She can probably get a job as a receptionist if her English is good. It might not be your wife's preference, but if you can earn a lot more in Australia then it might be worth considering. Her starting salary as a teacher in Thailand will probably be around 15,000 Baht per month.

• Like 1

While it might be hard for your wife to get a professional job in Australia, there are plenty of office or hotel cleaning jobs at the basic wage (equivalent to about 80,000 Baht per month). She can probably get a job as a receptionist if her English is good. It might not be your wife's preference, but if you can earn a lot more in Australia then it might be worth considering. Her starting salary as a teacher in Thailand will probably be around 15,000 Baht per month.

Cheers Steve, you're spot on... there are other jobs opportunities for her outside teaching and you're right again re: not really her preference. She is already on 39k as a teacher here and could probably double that. However, by my rough projection it wouldn't be worth it unless we did it for a longer period. The cost of moving, housing, buying another car etc. would eat up most of the salary increase in the first few years sadly. This was purely a mathematical exercise at this stage.

Truly appreciate everyone chipping in with comments to help us decide our next step. smile.png

Edited by tails