What is your favorite Diet Soda in Thailand?

Hal65

I love Manao with gin or scotch but it is loaded with sugar: almost 200 calories for 1 can. I have about 5 drinks per day, so that's 1000 plus the booze calories.

I remember seeing DIET SPRITE in 7-11 about 5 years ago, but it tasted vile...so maybe they removed it?

Pepsi Max is the better of the diet colas, but completely boring after 48 hours!

In Europe, you can get diet Tonics, but I have never seen them here.

Thais have a sweet tooth? I guess so. I only see obese people buying diet sodas. 95% of folks want sweet drinks. The small bottles of Taurine drinks (Carabou etc), much loved by working men are very sweet apart from one brand (and allegedly no good for the liver either!)

Eddy

Good article!

Reminds me of 1960s research where saccharine caused cancer in rats.

Another interesting one is that eggs were said to be a direct cause of heart disease (via cholesterol) for about 20 years. I ate one egg a month. Now, we are told that eggs are very good for us, and that we should be eating at least 2 a week.

Seems now that men in the UK are drinking waaaaayyyy over 21 units per week. Some drink that in a day. I have always had more than 21 units per week, which seems a tiny amount. Who knows the truth about any of this?

Eddy

I got to the 7 and Lotus near my village.Only ever seen Pepsi max,Coke zero and the low calorie Coke on the shelves.

Bloody boring! i used to like diet cherry and orange and lime ades.But never seen them here.You would think that a country whose people have such beautiful teeth

that they would sell more sugar free drinks.Not even Tonic water.I love the Root beer they sell here but i cant drink it due to the sugar content.maybe there been a deal been done

between the company's and the Dentists.

Occasionally, Villa Market will offer Fresca. It is wonderful diet grapefruit soda from the U.S. .

It is pricey (45baht a can), but it is a great drink and mixer too.

Fresca would be a welcome treat. It was my soft drink of choice for decades in the U.S. Even though I tend to stay away from all sodas these days, diet or not, I would enjoy a few of these. I have never seen them at Villa in Pattaya, but I wasn't exactly looking for it either. Thanks for the tip.

Fuji has 2 sugar free Green Tea options.... Natural and Fit. Both are quite Ok.

Big Cola has released a low (not zero) sugar Lemon Soda. It taste not too dissimilar to the Schweppes equivalent, but has less sugar. I am not exactly sure how much less though.

I can't believe people are actually replying to this.

Yes, when I saw the thread title I thought this was headed for a quick death.

Of course just about any topic can be used as a pretext for bashing someone or something.

Only Americans drink "sodas" They seem to opt for the zero calorie "soda" whilst scoffing the Double,Double Cheeseburger with a large portion of "fries"

cheesy.gif

I suppose some people find the more technical term, "fizzy drink" to be more accurate.

Edited by Suradit69

1. YOU CAN’T STAY AWAY FROM CARBONATED DRINKS “A flat stomach with visible abs cannot be achieved if poor eating habits are in place,” Gonzalez says. “Anything carbonated will produce unwanted bloat.” In a study conducted by the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, people who drank two or more diet sodas a day had waist sizes that were six times bigger than those who didn’t drink diet soda (which is in some ways even worse then regular soda).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/what-diet-coke-your-body-6191713 What diet coke does to you

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/artificially-sweetened-beverages-pregnancy-tied-higher-infant-weight-171047634.html Pregnant women have fatter kids drinking diet sodas

2. DITCH ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS According to the Harvard School of Public Health, consuming artificial sweeteners can actually increase your sweet cravings and lead to excess calorie intake. When you eat something that tastes sweet, your brain thinks it's getting something high calorie. When no calories are provided it causes your body to seek them elsewhere. Common brands like Sweet N' Low and Splenda are actually 300 to 600 times sweeter than real sugar and, as a result, send your brain and body into a sweet-seeking frenzy and may actually cause you to overeat later. Sweeteners are such a hot topic that Eat This, Not That! released this exclusive report on Every Popular Added Sweetener—Ranked.

Better to drink green tea no sugar or soda water unflavored/sweetened

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/6-reasons-to-think-twice-about-using-artificial-sweeteners/ss-BBs86CM#image=1 6 reasons not to use artificial sweetners

Edited by Tony125

I agree that a diet soda every day is bad because of the sweet tooth cravings it may cause. But as an occasional cheat it is far superior to heavy calorie meals.

Examine.com did a comprehensive analysis on diet sodas and weight gain and after examining the available research, found the following:

There are no studies that indicate any long-term health risks from drinking diet soda. Diet Soda (defined as calorie free carbonated beverages sweetened withaspartame, sucralose, acesulfame-potassium, or other non-caloric or minimally caloric sweeteners) is not harmful to health, well-being, or body composition.[1]

There is no evidence that diet soda inhibits fat loss, or that it even spikes insulin levels to levels that would be detrimental to health.

Current research that attempts to link diet soda with health issues[2][3] did not have equal caloric consumption. Excess caloric consumption has a direct correlation with many health issues, and in fact one of the studies[2] distinctly states:

https://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

I've found them to be a reputable reference (I study health and nutrition quite a bit).

On my list of cheat meals I think of a diet soda as a 2/10 -- calorically neutral but prone to bad habits if abused. A mcdonalds hamburger or other light (<300 cal) snack is a 4-5. Several donuts or a cheesecake is an 8-9.

It's the calories first and foremost to be watchful of, everything else is still very important but secondary.

Edited by Hal65

Good article!

Reminds me of 1960s research where saccharine caused cancer in rats.

Another interesting one is that eggs were said to be a direct cause of heart disease (via cholesterol) for about 20 years. I ate one egg a month. Now, we are told that eggs are very good for us, and that we should be eating at least 2 a week.

Seems now that men in the UK are drinking waaaaayyyy over 21 units per week. Some drink that in a day. I have always had more than 21 units per week, which seems a tiny amount. Who knows the truth about any of this?

Eddy

" Who knows the truth about any of this?"
Absolutely! I tend to go by two general rules...
1) Am I eating something that existed 100 years ago or not
2) Does the entity giving the health advice profit from said advice (e.g. I once saw 100% Fat Free Healthy Marshmallows!)
Of course we can also delve into the medical journal pathway but I'm too lazy for that, I reckon the above two filters are a pretty good start!

I'd never dissuade anyone from giving them up, I'd just say give them up last. If a diet soda saves you from a real soda then you've reduced at least 25 grams of sugars. That's a lot spread out over a year or 10.

I've only seen diet cola's in Thailand. However until the last 5-6 years I'd never noticed how fat Thailanders are becoming. The diabetic tsunami is on its way and some fellow is gonna get rich producing diet flavored sodas.

I got to the 7 and Lotus near my village.Only ever seen Pepsi max,Coke zero and the low calorie Coke on the shelves.

Bloody boring! i used to like diet cherry and orange and lime ades.But never seen them here.You would think that a country whose people have such beautiful teeth

that they would sell more sugar free drinks.Not even Tonic water.I love the Root beer they sell here but i cant drink it due to the sugar content.maybe there been a deal been done

between the company's and the Dentists.

Likely the deal would have been with the sugar cane industry, if there were a deal that is.

How stupid can people be, just google ''diet sodas'' 2,010,000 results in 53 seconds,,, and,,,

"Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain,"

even my sisters children and their friends only drink water, how stupid can adults be,

How stupid can people be, just google ''diet sodas'' 2,010,000 results in 53 seconds,,, and,,,

"Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain,"

even my sisters children and their friends only drink water, how stupid can adults be,

This is what happens when you jump to conclusions based on the 1st link you see.

The studies on insulin sensitivity with diet soda point to a negligible insulin spike. The body knows it is sometimes wrong; it shuts the insulin off quick when it can't find the accompanying carbs (adipose tissue isn't filled with air)

Edited by Hal65