Digital receiver. Info please.

Confuscious

I want to install a "Digital antenna" to receive DTV Channels.

These kind of small antennas, mostly requiring an external 5 V power supply, seems to range from 100 Baht (Nano stick) to 3,000 baht and more.

As my TV-set has no digital antenna input, I guess that I will need to buy also a digital TV-Box too.

I would like to receive information about:

- Is digital TV already distributed in Thailand?

- I have a LED-TV with a normal coax connection.
What do I need to buy to make a digital connection?
- Which Antenna/Set Top Box combination has the best price/value?

TIA

You need to check your TV set - most of those being sold recently have a tuner built in so you just have to connect the antenna (if within range of a transmitter). Instruction book should contain information - or provide full model number and people can check.

You need to check your TV set - most of those being sold recently have a tuner built in so you just have to connect the antenna (if within range of a transmitter). Instruction book should contain information - or provide full model number and people can check.

additional info to clarify for OP:

- digital TV is also distributed via standard coax TV cable

- many cable providers already distribute digital signals (for example TMN in Pattaya)

- many cable providers already distribute digital signals (for example TMN in Pattaya)

I had Cable-TV in my house.

But the quality of reception was so bad that I did not want to keep spending 350 baht/month on this cable TV.

I have seen these "Digital TV-Antenna" and "Set Top Boxes" and would like to setup a Digital reception for my TV-set.

Are you sure your TV does not already have a digital tuner? Many sold in the last several years do. If not you also have the choice to use Satellite for many more channels than the 36 available on Digital broadcast.

As for what you need for antenna it will depend on where you are - check with others near you. As for tuners have no idea is any model is much more effective than another.

My TV-set has a RF-cable connection.

A digital TV-set has a different connection.

BTW, the TV-set is an Aconatic AN-LT2925.

From local spec that model is 2014 and does not have a digital tuner built in. So you will need both a box and antenna. Unless you are very close to a transmitter point it is likely you will want an external antenna but if nobody you can check with store should be able to advise from your location. But this is only going to provide a small number of stations (about 30% or channels are educational). Satellite might be better value and also have very high quality at very little extra cost (same antenna can be used for several sets if needed).

From local spec that model is 2014 and does not have a digital tuner built in. So you will need both a box and antenna. Unless you are very close to a transmitter point it is likely you will want an external antenna but if nobody you can check with store should be able to advise from your location. But this is only going to provide a small number of stations (about 30% or channels are educational). Satellite might be better value and also have very high quality at very little extra cost (same antenna can be used for several sets if needed).

Thanks for the clarification.

I have already a TRUE 3 In 1 package (High Speed Internet/Truevisions.and 4G Sim card).

Very good image quality.

Is a digital antenna (exterior) and a set-top box going to give more channels?

Looks like the additional money is not worth the installation.

The same channels are on Truevisions as same Channels 1-36 - those are the digital TV channels. So if you have this connected to your TV you already have everything plus the extra channels True provides for free.

The same channels are on Truevisions as same Channels 1-36 - those are the digital TV channels. So if you have this connected to your TV you already have everything plus the extra channels True provides for free.

Thanks for the info.

Will give it a miss and keep loooking TV with Truevisions.

When my GF's family came to visit me for several weeks in Bangkok a few months ago, I had no Thai TV. We went to BigC and bought a B500 Sherman DR-2 DV3 TV box and a small B200 antennae usable indoors/outdoors. My building maintenance guy showed me that I did not need to run a cable outside. I am on the ninth floor of an old apartment building and the signal came in bright and clear with the antennae mounted high on a nearby, inside wall, quite unobtrusive really. We plugged it into an HDMI port on my 42" TV and the picture was very clear. Cables to use an older RCA TV port were also included as well as a remote control. We got about a dozen Thai TV channels.

Cheap money to keep them all entertained and out of my hair.

Edited by dddave

Yes they do provide digital signal via cable and you can receive it with a normal (digital) TV tuner or a stand alone set top box that the government gave out coupons for...or you can use the cable company's digital box.

But and its quite a big but you have to continually pay the cable company for providing the service.

If you set up a TV antenna on your roof you can get TV for " free"....yes a lot less channels than from the cable company and only 1 I've found so far that provides English "soundtrack" on a lot of its programs that channel is Mono29

Check for the nearest transmitter here

http://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

Unless you are very near to a transmitter you will need an outdoor antenna on the roof.

Edited by johng