Over-charged in my local village

connda

Over-charge me in the big city, and it's not worth my while to worry about it because most times I'll vote with my feet. But my own village? I was over-charged a couple of weeks ago at one of our local stores, which happens to be run by my wife's cousin. His help over-charged me. Instead of making it an issue, I let it go. It was about 80 baht. Today I go to the store, and the owner over-charges be 100 baht (I'd already figured the price in my head, he did it on the calculator).

"Oh Kor tort kor tort, I thought it was something else, mai bpen rai."

Of course, mai bpen rai! Once is a coincidence. Twice? No way.

It does happen, often unintentionally but it hits home a bit harder when it's on your own doorstep as it were.

Seems like you handled it well.

I have mastered the 'surprised sudden look up with raised eyebrow and wry smile' technique of querying an iffy bit of adding or subtraction which seems to be taken as a very mild "You what!?" and the mistake is resolved in good nature and no ill feeling.

I once, under the influence, went the whole 'Whatchoo Talkin' Bout Willis' in our local 7-11 much to the utter perplexity of the pretty lass serving, and the hilarity of the American bloke in the queue...but given that, since then I have got nothing but glares and nasty looks from the hot lass, it wasn't the way to go.........

Edited by Merylhighground

Over-charge me in the big city, and it's not worth my while to worry about it because most times I'll vote with my feet. But my own village? I was over-charged a couple of weeks ago at one of our local stores, which happens to be run by my wife's cousin. His help over-charged me. Instead of making it an issue, I let it go. It was about 80 baht. Today I go to the store, and the owner over-charges be 100 baht (I'd already figured the price in my head, he did it on the calculator).

"Oh Kor tort kor tort, I thought it was something else, mai bpen rai."

Of course, mai bpen rai! Once is a coincidence. Twice? No way.

You live up to your username then.

Conn da ?

They think you have more money than sense, just remember these people need to calculator to add 10=50.

after several years here i agree with you

many times its because thais cant read or do math

when i first got here i thought it was intentional, now probably half the time it happens i realize its stupidity or not dealing with teansactions well (usually due to rushing)

They think you have more money than sense, just remember these people need to calculator to add 10=50.

Do not worry next week he will over-charge 120 baht but it is family what a nice family

Lucky You

Edited by HenryB

To be honest I wouldn't wish to live here for one minute more than necessary if anything happened to the Boss. (And I dont think that returning to the UK is an option either)

I realise that without her I would be at the mercy of so many completely ruthless and disreputable Thai people.

My ability to "buy" anything or even seek legal services is made more or less impossible by the fact that most Thai business people, store or professionals don't seem to haver a price tag and I will not on principle ask for a price knowing that it will be seriously inflated for my benefit as a farang

Far from being a Thai basher, I think that most of the ordinary Thai folk are the salt of the earth but I am beginning to think that I have made a big mistake in making Thailand my last resting place.

From the BIB to the hospitals, to Lawyers. Judges, to shops to stores to even 7/11s , you have to be scrutinising their every move you begin to realise that cannot expect an even and fair deal. ( of course its not all of them but how do you find the exception to the rule?)

When I came here I thought that the corruption and the way of the culture was within my capability to handle or at least tolerate., I was wrong and the political debate on the "Brexit" shambles is making me realise just what a I am missing in the UK.

Having said that I think its too late for the UK, I dont think that the UK or the Euro union can be saved from over bureaucracy and fraud and eventual bankruptcy.

I also dont think that Thailand in the short term will change so I have rather unwillingly on the basis that I am too old and unable to adapt to any massive changes decided to stick it out here. My main and only reason is my aged mother and father in law and what this means to my wife (The boss)

when i first got here i thought it was intentional, now probably half the time it happens i realize its stupidity or not dealing with teansactions well (usually due to rushing)

But they're not too stupid to run a business, duh

So thai's can't read or do maths!!!! Wait whilst I get help to read your post !!! Maths mm yes you are 9 cans short of a 6 pack biggest trash post I've seen on TV

Been there done that, lurve it when the Somchais get into it.

Was driving the car taking Somchai home, popped into some mom n pop store upcountry, the prices in Thai were all on display.

Got told rakkka falang, farlang price, no thankx.

I am under no illussuions, brother in law went in and tore them a new ass hole

Nothing to do with double pricing, nothing to do with farang, all to do with he wasnt getting a beer tonight.

Gawd bless the Somchais.

So thai's can't read or do maths!!!! Wait whilst I get help to read your post !!! Maths mm yes you are 9 cans short of a 6 pack biggest trash post I've seen on TV

TIs true though

Most Thais need a calculator to figure out the change of a 50thb beer from a 100thb note...

Been there done that, lurve it when the Somchais get into it.

Was driving the car taking Somchai home, popped into some mom n pop store upcountry, the prices in Thai were all on display.

Got told rakkka falang, farlang price, no thankx.

I am under no illussuions, brother in law went in and tore them a new ass hole

Nothing to do with double pricing, nothing to do with farang, all to do with he wasnt getting a beer tonight.

Gawd bless the Somchais.

I agree 100% with rgs2001uk! Some are making excuses for these stupid Thai's. I also would tear them a new <deleted>,

ask for all my overcharges back, and flat tell them the next will be the last time! Tiem to shut this OP Down!

Buy something for 99 baht and pay with a hundred and they use a calculator.

Worst I saw was the price was 10 baht and I paid with 10 baht and they used the calculator to come up with 0 as the change

Many times over and undercharged. The old lady who takes care of the shop cant count or use calculator. Poor old wifie.

I sit there some afternoon for a couple of beers watching the world go by. Last week she never charged me for a 300 baht top up which I paid the next day. This week the boss gave me 100 baht as I had been overcharged.

In all of the shops around me there is only one price for all. Having said that Im the only non thai to overcharge.

I normaly give her the correct amount. Saves her a head ache.

Edited by baneko

Well,there is a hell of a lot i could say on your post,but,i just dont know where to start.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, he is being reamed by the locals. Were you reading it backwards or is you one of dem troll fings?

Let me explain in very simple terms. ("are you" not "is you") What is so interesting in his post that he sends it to social media?

There are a lot of things worse than overcharging. One is things that can be bought @ Home Depot and Loews!

keep you mouth shut and be happy.

It may be just a mistake.. or maybe they are overcharging everyone! Don't jump to the conclusion its personal because you are a farang.

Next time just tell you think he made a mistake.

I am often undercharged in my local shops and bars.. I always am honeyst and tell them!

I don't have a Thai partner.. and I have not felt the need to get one to protect me from con tricks or overcharging.

I know what there things should cost.. so if services are too expensive I just decline them and find someone cheaper.

I can speak Thai quite well.. and I have seen many times when the Thai wife or GF actually tell the farang a higher price.... it had nothing to do with the person selling stuff... it was so the Thai wife could get a cut of the money. When the farang find out they got overcharged she will blame the person selling the product or service. Not saying this happens all the time... but I have seen it twice with my friends.

A few years ago Iwas in a shop I frequent often paid for my food with a 20 she gave me change for a 10. I explained to her the problem she insisted I gave hera 10 but no I only had a 20 and I come in here a lot and would not want to cheat the owner please give mecorrect change, she did. She didn't last long only one week. this happened in the states at the time myfavorite coffee shop. Cheats happen every where. I do not expect to get cheated and it doesn't happen too often.

Are you unpopular?

Have you upset or offended someone?

I actually get a discount at my neighborhood ( village ) market.

I asked why and they told me that I buy many things, and they want to be sure I go to their store and not the other one in the village.

My LEO cost me 3 baht less per bottle than it does Thai customers.

It works for me.

It may be just a mistake.. or maybe they are overcharging everyone! Don't jump to the conclusion its personal because you are a farang.

Next time just tell you think he made a mistake.

I am often undercharged in my local shops and bars.. I always am honeyst and tell them!

I don't have a Thai partner.. and I have not felt the need to get one to protect me from con tricks or overcharging.

I know what there things should cost.. so if services are too expensive I just decline them and find someone cheaper.

I can speak Thai quite well.. and I have seen many times when the Thai wife or GF actually tell the farang a higher price.... it had nothing to do with the person selling stuff... it was so the Thai wife could get a cut of the money. When the farang find out they got overcharged she will blame the person selling the product or service. Not saying this happens all the time... but I have seen it twice with my friends.

Wow. Pick better friends this is really sad and it sounds like you might be in on the scams if you don't say anything

Well,there is a hell of a lot i could say on your post,but,i just dont know where to start.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, he is being reamed by the locals. Were you reading it backwards or is you one of dem troll fings?

Let me explain in very simple terms. ("are you" not "is you") What is so interesting in his post that he sends it to social media?

I thought his use of the word " dem" made it obvious that he was attempting to be humorous.

He probably has spell check, like most of us!