Bangkok professor wanted for killing two colleagues shoots self as nation watches drama unfold

Interesting to see the professional negotiators hard at work, all surrounded by BIB with loud haulers, a couple of relations, a couple of students and of course the media, all doomed to failure from the outset - what a joke.

And what would you have done expert
If you have nothing constructive to add, why waste your time with stupid comments.

Plus it would seem I'm not the only one who considered it a complete cock-up which doesn't make us "experts" - just a little intelligent.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see the professional negotiators hard at work, all surrounded by BIB with loud haulers, a couple of relations, a couple of students and of course the media, all doomed to failure from the outset - what a joke.

And what would you have done expert

Doesnt take an expert to work out that The BIB couldnt run a bath. Looked pretty farcical really from the reports.

A lesson to us all. It's not just the mafia types and lo-so's of this country that keep a loaded gun handy. Beware of making ANY Thai (man) lose face.

AND....to the media for broadcasting this incident live and all the ghouls who got a kick out of watching this unfold on Thai TV.............a disgusting example of Thainess!!

"..a disgusting example of Thainess!!"

And what would you call it when some TV stations in some well known Western countries love to flash ..."Breaking News".... across the TV screens and immediately go to their "eye in the sky" (helicopter) and follow a Police chase across the highways till it's very conclusion, no matter what that might be?

Other than perhaps his immediate family, is anybody mourning this guys demise? He sounds like quite a fool. Killing his fellow teachers for calling him out on his fake degree? Then killing himself? What a waste of space this guy took up. And he was teaching the nations children?

The whole concept of face makes me rather sick. A man behaves like a man, and takes responsibility. The fact that there is a mechanism within Thai society that allows people to cop out, and avoid taking responsibility for anything, is simply complete cowardice. Face is the absence of manhood. It is the absence of spirituality, and the ability to look within for the source of a problem. It stifles any sort of personal growth, and prevents the entire society from moving forward, progressing, improving, and evolving. It is horrific. It is an abomination, and a boil on the face of Thailand.

What an idiot

Jeez hey.......aren't you so intelligent.......YOU know nothing about him and make judgement on him.....

Look in the mirror pal!

What else do you need to know about him? He murdered two colleagues, and shot himself. Under what realistic circumstances does that make him a winner?

Perhaps the facts might only sink into your brain if he shot you in the head?

The PM IS RIGHT, to much time in the classroom will make you crazy with no room for critical thinking, like planning killing co-workers.

Critical thinking is in reality an essential skill for learning and education.

Whatever you think of the PM/current govt, the fact is on this issue they are right.

Well as long as they realise that critical thinking also leads to freedom of speech, thought and expression.

Other than perhaps his immediate family, is anybody mourning this guys demise? He sounds like quite a fool. Killing his fellow teachers for calling him out on his fake degree? Then killing himself? What a waste of space this guy took up. And he was teaching the nations children?

The whole concept of face makes me rather sick. A man behaves like a man, and takes responsibility. The fact that there is a mechanism within Thai society that allows people to cop out, and avoid taking responsibility for anything, is simply complete cowardice. Face is the absence of manhood. It is the absence of spirituality, and the ability to look within for the source of a problem. It stifles any sort of personal growth, and prevents the entire society from moving forward, progressing, improving, and evolving. It is horrific. It is an abomination, and a boil on the face of Thailand.

Sadly, this is what the Thai culture produces. Nobody is born like this, their environment makes them like this.

I agree with your reaction to the whole thing about 'face', Thais have a very low self-esteem which cannot tolerate anytrhing which injures it. The relevant question is:

:Do Thais have a low self-esteem with good reason, or do they have a low self-esteem because they have been taught since birth that they are less worthy and less valuable than rich people, to whom they must give respect and pay obeisance?"

My feeling is the latter.

Agreed. It has always struck me as an indicator of low EQ. They all need to grow up.

A lesson to us all. It's not just the mafia types and lo-so's of this country that keep a loaded gun handy. Beware of making ANY Thai (man) lose face.

AND....to the media for broadcasting this incident live and all the ghouls who got a kick out of watching this unfold on Thai TV.............a disgusting example of Thainess!!

"..a disgusting example of Thainess!!"

And what would you call it when some TV stations in some well known Western countries love to flash ..."Breaking News".... across the TV screens and immediately go to their "eye in the sky" (helicopter) and follow a Police chase across the highways till it's very conclusion, no matter what that might be?

I truly don't understand why, when something like this happens, a few people rush to blame other countries, other people, anyone as long as it's someone else.

The responsibility for this mess and with the performance of the police who made it into a mess with 3 deaths instead of a mess with two deaths lies with the Thai people and the Thai people alone.

There is plentiful evidence to show that the Thai culture is toxic and that the Thai people have had this farce imposed upon them instead of proper law enforcement.

There is absolutely no shortage of countries in the world who can teach Thais how to manage law and order. The fact is that Thais do not want to learn and may not even have the capacity to learn given a dreadful culture and an abomination for an education system.

So, don't blame other people or other countries, blame Thais. They made Thailand what it is today, it is they who must grow the balls to fix it. Until they do there will be more events like this and I will continue not to cry crocodile tears about it because it is entirely self-inflicted misfortune.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

The PM IS RIGHT, to much time in the classroom will make you crazy with no room for critical thinking, like planning killing co-workers.

Critical thinking is in reality an essential skill for learning and education.

Whatever you think of the PM/current govt, the fact is on this issue they are right.

Well as long as they realise that critical thinking also leads to freedom of speech, thought and expression.

Thai education Ministers down to uni and schools have been throwing that term, critical thinking, around for a long time. like a dog playing with a smart phone, they have no idea what it is. They don't use it themselves, have a culture, both professional (ironic) and personal, that stiffles C T. I have seen first hand many times, highly educated people who are C T'ers not use it at key times to save face of colleagues during a discussion and decision making process, ending with the worst possible outcomes. Those who are capable are suppressed tobsave face of the hordes of incompetent Deadwood. It's a giant uphill battle to bring about change. Epic proportions.

... and were the millions that watched OJ driving his Bronco any different? Is that an example of American(ness)?

You are correct about Thai's losing face though, absolutely deadly.

At bluespunk: The americanisation of Thailand started decades ago. Idiotic soaps. Billboards everywhere. Brainless consumerism. Pickup trucks. Unhealty fastfood. Obese kids. Diabetes. Live broadcasting of real life drama. Dr Phil?? No hope for the human race.

Stupid rant. Also The Sopranos and most of the rest of the current Golden Age of TV also comes from the U.S. As for the rest, plenty of mindless consumerism originating in Japan. Fast food is just another choice. Sounds like you pine for some 19th-Century French village. You can have it.

At bluespunk: The americanisation of Thailand started decades ago. Idiotic soaps. Billboards everywhere. Brainless consumerism. Pickup trucks. Unhealty fastfood. Obese kids. Diabetes. Live broadcasting of real life drama. Dr Phil?? No hope for the human race.

Indeed. The deliberate dumbing down of the human race. .Vaccination programmes, the education system, government propaganda, the mass media and the entertainment industry all play an important role in this.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=creating+a+nation+of+zombies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=FHw-V4G7MoW80ASYtoHICg

... and were the millions that watched OJ driving his Bronco any different? Is that an example of American(ness)?

You are correct about Thai's losing face though, absolutely deadly.

Not only watching him, but cheering him on, even when he was suspected of killing his wife and her friend. The whole thing including the police investigation was a sickening fiasco.

Loser.

Along with all those who watched the whole affair on television and online.

Multiple times during the day I happened to see a TV on in a shop as I bought a bottle of ginger ale, later a bottle of cold water, and walking through Rajaprasong various buldings I could see and hear it on TV and radio and people watching etc. I asked what it was and found out it was this Ajarn who shot 2 colleagues and it was a standoff and that was all I needed to know.

In the half a dozen or more glances at a TV as I walked past, I saw only one picture - the image of the car parked in the side street. Dont recall seeing people standing there or not, but essentially the same pic over many hours.

I thought nothing of it. This is Thailand. And news media are same everywhere. When Secretary of State went to meet Egyptian Prime Minister there were no press to cover the event. They were all at the airport filming people suffering the bad news of the downed airliner.

ah right but they skipped democracy right? freedom of speech? rule of law? a constitution? education? this thread is not about America bashing thanks it's about Thai 'face' and 'drama'

For some few unfortunates, it's ALWAYS about America-bashing. Any excuse, no matter how lame or how much of a stretch, will do. Not a very complex or worthwhile agenda, but there you have it. If somebody in Thailand does something dumb, it's America that made him do it. Doncha' know?

Sadly, this is what the Thai culture produces. Nobody is born like this, their environment makes them like this.

I agree with your reaction to the whole thing about 'face', Thais have a very low self-esteem which cannot tolerate anytrhing which injures it. The relevant question is:

:Do Thais have a low self-esteem with good reason, or do they have a low self-esteem because they have been taught since birth that they are less worthy and less valuable than rich people, to whom they must give respect and pay obeisance?"

My feeling is the latter.

If your theory was correct, than rich Thais would not have an issue taking responsibility, and would be able to look the ridiculousness of face in the eyes, and be done with it. That does not appear to be the case. It seems to cross all social, and economic strata. It is endemic in the society, and perhaps the single greatest, and most profoundly tragic aspect of contemporary Thai culture. It must be wiped out entirely, in order for the country to grow, progress and move forward.

Edited by spidermike007

just another 'thai drama' so divorced are they from the real world

Yeah, lets all have ourselves another good and righteous smirk!! Cos crap like this doesn't happen in the 'REAL WORLD', yeah? You know, that 'REAL WORLD' of televised slow-pursuits of celebrities wanted for murder, court-cases put out for the whole sick world to get off on, and universities where students wander in and shoot all their class-mates cos they're a bit p*-ed off about something or other. And.. and.. and... That 'REAL WORLD', right? thumbsup.gifwai.gif