TERMITES (flying ants)

We have discovered that my daughters complete bedroom set is infested with termites. It was a expensive set (Klasse) made with laminated particle board...what a mistake.

I have decided that I want everything in 'metal'....metal bed frame...metal wardrobe...metal vanity.

Who in Thailand sells such furniture?

Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

Edited by tkramer

You are aware it is a very humid and metal tends to rust very quickly? Perhaps would be better getting rid of the termites.

Edit: believe Lazada offer many metal bed-frame options. Our one time use of such an item (bunk beds) was squeak central and quickly replaced with wood.

Edited by lopburi3

I am aware of 'teak' being termite resistant, but that would be very expensive to have a solid teak bedroom set.

How does one confirm it's teak? by expensive price alone?

Would you trust Somchai.....

If I was you I would be checking other areas of the house,

because if they are eating your furniture,they are sure to

be other places too,follow the mud tunnels they make.

regards worgeordie

only cheapshittt rusts

5 years kiosk furniture il all rooms no rust

You are aware it is a very humid and metal tends to rust very quickly? Perhaps would be better getting rid of the termites.

Edit: believe Lazada offer many metal bed-frame options. Our one time use of such an item (bunk beds) was squeak central and quickly replaced with wood.

Surely the priority should be eliminating the termites. Then even wooden furniture will be safe.

If you don't like the idea of spraying highly toxic chemicals around your daughter, consider Sentricon. It takes a few weeks to work, but in my experience is highly effective.

I have no knowledge one way or the other but suggest any potential buyers of above system may want to read the below.

http://www.syix.com/emu/html/sentricon.html

You have no knowledge of the system, and neither does the author of the article you link to. His/her opening sentence is

"I am neither an expert nor a Sentricon customer, and termite baiting stations were of no interest to me."

In my experience, I had a problem with a small amount of termite damage inside the house and a quite large (live) tree which had died from termite attack. The termites concerned were the Formosan species (the nastiest). It took roughly 2 1/2 months to eliminate all termites inside and outside the house. Since then there's been no recurrence of attack.

The Internet is a democracy, so you can find for and against posts for pretty much any subject you care to mention. However, not all opinions are correct.

termites are not flying ants. termites are underground dwellers, very light - shy creatures, spending endless time building tunnels to shield them from light.

your problem might be something else.

but i agree, a full timber home in tropical thailand is not easy to maintain.

termites are underground dwellers

Not quite. They generally need connection to soil, but many species build termite mounds which are above ground (i.e. are epigeal), and some species are arboreal.

termites are not flying ants. termites are underground dwellers, very light - shy creatures, spending endless time building tunnels to shield them from light.

The things you see flying around street lights or any lights when raining are flying termites and you will see them in large swarms often in Thailand. So they aren't always hanging around in tunnels.

http://www.orkin.com/termites/flying-termites/

Soon as we see a few of those "rain bugs", as we call them, we shut the doors and windows and turn out the lights.

I actually open the windows and turn on a bright light 100 meters from the house (we are on a large lot)

That gets the bugs about halfway to the neighbors house. When my house is clear...I even turn that light off, and they continue on to the neighbors property (they have all their lights on).

Have to keep our home dark, but I have the aircon bedroom sealed off and just run a bug light and a laptop

Two hours later...all clear.

We had this problem for a week...and then just an odd day.

Edited by slipperylobster

Soon as we see a few of those "rain bugs", as we call them, we shut the doors and windows and turn out the lights.

I actually open the windows and turn on a bright light 100 meters from the house (we are on a large lot)

That gets the bugs about halfway to the neighbors house. When my house is clear...I even turn that light off, and they continue on to the neighbors property (they have all their lights on).

Have to keep our home dark, but I have the aircon bedroom sealed off and just run a bug light and a laptop

Two hours later...all clear.

We had this problem for a week...and then just an odd day.

Ha ha, good strategy! Sometimes I leave one exterior light on then sit and watch the geckos and big Tokays line up for the buffet.

There's a pretty good sized pond out back the house, lots of big catfish and Pla Nin in it, and an old, wooden frame house perched over the edge of the water. Couple years ago during one of these rain bug events, put a bulb w/ extension cord onto a long bamboo pole, and hung it out over the water. Bugs swarmed around the light bulb and started dropping into the water. Man, it was like a Tuna boil on a school of sardines, fish were well fed that night.

Termites fly.

termites.jpg

Termites fly.

termites.jpg

the queen flies, the workers and soldiers live and slave away under ground. just like with us humans...biggrin.png

The things you see flying around street lights or any lights when raining are flying termites and you will see them in large swarms often in Thailand. So they aren't always hanging around in tunnels.

http://www.orkin.com/termites/flying-termites/

i stand corrected and educated. i should have taken my australian glasses off and looked into this further before posting.

thank you and berty100 for setting me straight on this one.

cheers

Edited by manfredtillmann