My early ownership comments on the Yamaha R3

JAFO

I was impressed with how compact they are. They physically look a bit smaller than the cbr150/r15 etc 150cc bikes.

To have a high-revving 321cc twin in one that size must be a blast, especially in the twisties.

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 1

I have a friend with one who can ride circles around the 650s in the group because he knows how to ride it...

That's a good point!

The neophytes are often obsessed with cc's but have no clue as to power weight ratios much less how to actually ride a bike. Take one down to the track and they get smoked by some 13-year-old on an old Honda Nova. That shuts them up real quick..giggle.gif

Regardless, the new color looks great. thumbsup.gif

So this is moped for 13 year old children for track?wink.png

Is it?

No

Here is MCN take on it, 4 stars, not bad.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/r3/2015/

Since I live in the Pattaya area not suitable for me, cc is king for me (raw power) but if I lived somewhere with mountains I would be tempted to get one.

Generally the less the cc the cheaper to run, less fuel, smaller tires= cheaper and so on.

Well done Yamaha.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Back in the day had an RD400 YPVS. Modified with larger bore, port and polish, Mikuni flatslides, expansion chambers. Great in the twisties. 650, 750, 1000 cc bikes did not stand a chance. They were in my mirrors, then they were gone.

• Like 1

Topic about R3

point is..

R3 a normal moped for beginners or children.
Even It looks like a sport.
Moped R3 Can give fun.. but fot tall guy R3 discomfort and sure not enough for 90-100 kg guys..
R3 it not much usable for THAILAND ..
DELETED
Edited by seedy
off topic
  • Like 1

Topic about R3

point is..

R3 a normal moped for beginners or children.
Even It looks like a sport.
Moped R3 Can give fun.. but fot tall guy R3 discomfort and sure not enough for 90-100 kg guys..
R3 it not much usable for THAILAND ..

The R3 is not a moped bro..... google is your friend there.

And most children are not allowed to ride licensed bikes on the road as far as I am aware - so I don't get why you feel the need to keep bringing up kids lol.

Sports bikes in general don't really cater for fat people..... I mean how many MotoGP / SB / SS riders do you see who are 100kg?

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post
  • Like 1

I was impressed with how compact they are. They physically look a bit smaller than the cbr150/r15 etc 150cc bikes.

Agreed. There are a few R3s and a ton of R15s around where I'm living. Can never tell them apart until I'm right beside them. COmpared to the CBR300s and CBR150s which are pretty easily to tell apart.

• Like 1

Off Topic posts Removed and Edited.

This may help you - The word moped is a portmanteau of "motor" and "pedal", originally coined in Sweden. Like some of the earliest two wheeled motorcycles, all mopeds were once equipped with bicycle pedals. The name "moped" has now been applied by some regional governments to vehicles without pedals, based on criteria of restricted engine displacement, speed, and/or power output. This is a misnomer, as they are no longer "mopeds" at all, and might instead be called a "noped" if they appear to look exactly like a typical moped, but no longer include pedals.

attachicon.gifmoped.jpg

R3 is a motorcycle. Keep the discussion about this

As a 12-year-old kid in Sardinia, I used to have one of these!

Those were the good old days..biggrin.png

Thanks for posting.thumbsup.gif

And please do not post a bunch of bitter garbage about quality and nonsense, its moot. Yamaha has identified the issue and has taken action. I will take mine in in a week or so. Will post back up on the findings.

Jeez, it's almost as if every new first gen bike gets recalled nowadays.

Don't know if it's down to more technical bikes, lower quality parts as standard, or better ability to locate issues.

Edited by DLang

Jeez, it's almost as if every new first gen bike gets recalled nowadays.

Don't know if it's down to more technical bikes, lower quality parts as standard, or better ability to locate issues.

Yes its interesting. you see it more now with liter bikes in the states as well. I think these moto's are becoming very high tech but like all companies they try and keep gross margins up so they design and experiment with new materials that end up being issues. But to your point, lot controls, incredible well managed system data allows them to respond quickly to quality issues or product risk and consumer exposure. I actually like it, I never sweat recalls. Just go in, they have a containment process and a corrective action. All good to me. Remember the days where you had to fight with dealers on cars and moto's...in fact just about everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today again try R3..

yes i am beginer and may be some do not understand..

but for what is bike?

Who can say "Growing up in the states and always having 750 to 1000cc" ?

"I am impressed with this little Yamaha's"

where impressed? after 100 it f..g slpw bike..

brake it sucks..

is it sport?bah.gif sure not..

and about:

"Any honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300 will beat most bikes."

i am beginer !!

i do not know HOW to ride..

SO.. ok when lets go ride.. "knows" rider..

or jast keybord riders? i choise bike and you show me HOW it can R3- 300 will beat most bikes...

cheesy.gif

but i am beginer. do not know HOW to ride.

SO??

who lost who pay for track/hotel/fly ticket transport for bike..

and I think a fair price.

So what have any guys whith balls or only keybord rider-hero?

cheesy.gif

Edited by ardokano

Any honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300 will beat most bikes.

And another bike must be ride by "honest rider" when R3 300 cc beat him or it need people never touch any bike?cheesy.gif

Today again try R3..

yes i am beginer and may be some do not understand..

but for what is bike?

Who can say "Growing up in the states and always having 750 to 1000cc" ?

"I am impressed with this little Yamaha's"

where impressed? after 100 it f..g slpw bike..

brake it sucks..

is it sport?bah.gif sure not..

and about:

"Any honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300 will beat most bikes."

i am beginer !!

i do not know HOW to ride..

SO.. ok when lets go ride.. "knows" rider..

or jast keybord riders? i choise bike and you show me HOW it can R3- 300 will beat most bikes...

cheesy.gif

but i am beginer. do not know HOW to ride.

SO??

who lost who pay for track/hotel/fly ticket transport for bike..

and I think a fair price.

So what have any guys whith balls or only keybord rider-hero?

cheesy.gif

DELETED

Many people on this topic looks like they are happy with their R3's and you try the bike and slams it.

MCN gives it 4 stars out of 5 possible which is pretty good, and rest assured that must posters on this forum believe MCN more than a beginner/self important person like you.

Here is the link; http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/r3/2015/

You challenge all that discuss with you to go racing on the track, why should they? Some of us are not interested going on the track for various reasons.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming
  • Like 2

"Generally quite unpleasant people."

You say it about ALL nationality?blink.pngbah.gif

I came and friendly with joking say

Its "moped" ok ok bike.. good for children or not tall beginer.. even look as sport

and look nice..

and its be my opinion and not far from true..

And guess it normal ansver some like:

yep men it for child bike but now i am to old so childish.. so for me its bike fine..

or

Yep men it not realy sport bike.. but i do no need sport.. bike look great and i can get some fun..

or

Ha Ha.. yes it for beginer and children but I have a limited budget.. so i not compare this is bike with sport litr bike.. but for 200 grand i got some fun from.. and its look as sport.. great..

but what i hear?

" have no clue".. "Any honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300 will beat most bikes." "doesn't know much about motorbikes"

so who "self important person"?

blink.png

if you , guys, say that so .. so prove their case the word

ok

yes i am "doesn't know much about motorbikes"," have no clue"..

so show how you, guys , have clue and "honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300( topic about R3 , so on R3) will beat most bikes.

rolleyes.gif ..

"Some of us are not interested going on the track for various reasons."

well you can on a normal road.

but it will cost more.
official permission from the government for Moto race + some request from the motorcycle club or another moto Association..(I do not think from an individual request will be sufficient)..
So I offered easy way - track..
prove the words...
Or there is not a man made to prove the words? You can say anything?rolleyes.gif
Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

this is a dead horse, will you please give up??? what do you actually expect? it's a 300cc bike. it's never been marketed as something that is made to compete with a liter bike. it's a cheap entry-level bike that is fun to flick around.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post
  • Like 2

it's a 300cc bike. it's never been marketed as something that is made to compete with a liter bike. it's a cheap entry-level bike that is fun to flick around.

BINGO!!!!

This is what I'm saying.

Just with with humor...

clap2.gif

ADD

but some began to arrogance
tell stories that "Any honest rider knows that in the hands of a good rider even a 300 will beat most bikes."
Edited by ardokano

You weren't saying that at all... You were saying it's a slow, junky, moped made for children. It isn't a moped. It's not slow relative to other bikes it competes with. It's perfectly capable of doing what it's made to do. End of story. What are you still on about?

• Like 1

You weren't saying that at all... You were saying it's a slow, junky, moped made for children. It isn't a moped. It's not slow relative to other bikes it competes with. It's perfectly capable of doing what it's made to do. End of story. What are you still on about?

blink.png

where i say this is?

junky?

Can you show me this is post?

"moped" its kind kidding, joking..

all my friend rider say about 650 or less bike "moped"

even some think less 1 litr its moped..

About children.. yes children no need much power and many start in childish use bike. so where i was wrong.. its as u say "entry-level bike"

If say sport bike.. yes I still think its slow .. R6 ? even in same class rc390...?

It's perfectly capable of doing what it's made to do.

Tell me for what its bike?

In Thai traffic jam click, PCX, duke200,390.. CB300F even big bike as monster 821 better..

In speedway after 100km/h it very slow.. so not safty.. RC390 faster 3 sec..

Comfort sit? it sit as sport... in cbr300 more comfort.. Duke 390 more comfort .. cb300f more comfort..

on track? do you see what can do rc 390?

so where is perfectly?

if want less money and in city use... cb300b. or even duke 200

if want look as sport cbr300..

if want fun on track or mountans its rc390( on less money or beginer)

if want 300 cc but well balance.

its kawa.. even sport cluch had..

but if you want realy fun and usability.. take some as example kawa er-6n.. only 40% up..

so where R3 perfectly? any way not even near perfect..

blue new color? ok when add helmet with "46" an got filling as hero in sport bikecheesy.gif

Edited by ardokano