I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

I once met a back packer that walked all the way to Chaing Mai from Bangkok because he felt that the cost of the bus trip from BKK to Chaing Mai was too expensive.

That's moronic though, isn't it? What's the Third Class train price - I'll check - 271 baht. He'd have spent more on food even assuming he only walked a third of the way and ate nothing but rice.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you know the secret of success? it s not how much you make, but how much you save.

I've got a lot of sympathy for this worldview. I'm a couple of days from finishing my latest little Kindle book. It's not the greatest work of scholarship, but nor is it that bad. I've got plenty of money, but you absolutely cannot nail your identity by buying stuff. My mad aunt has nothing to do all day except buy things. "Going out" means rushing in a frenzy around the shops buying crap that she doesn't need, doesn't seem to really desire (in any meaningful sense) and which isn't any different from what she already has. Right now Dunedin Income Growth is about to credit my account with 100,000 baht (£2,000). Booga-f***in-loo. Who cares? What should I do - rush out and buy a load of rubbish?

I do really, really love getting nice accommodation for less than £100 a month, and being to be able to come in from the airport for 70p. If other people are caught up in what Marx identified as commodity fetishism - if they think they are what they buy, and sub-consciously enjoy being shafted on price because they think that makes them look like someone who can afford to be, and so is a "player" - well, fine. I own you! You're working for me! I own a slice of where you work, and a slice of the place where you spend it, and 16 times a year i - without moving - take a dirty great big chunk out of you.

If you're young and you've any sense work hard at owning the means of production, develop your mind and ignore the siren calls of half-wits who want you to be in as much trouble as they are. If you could even scrape together £50k, and get (say) £600 every third month, it could be a very liberating sum. If you wanted to spend a couple of years studying for Bar finals, accountancy exams or something similar, it would be pretty groovy to do it somewhere warm and cheap. Those are the choices you can make if you've a few quid.

Welcome back to our peripatetic VIP of Thailand, now "returned" to enthrall all and sundry how well one can live without an elite visa spending little and not turning on AC, because one chooses to dwell in a fantastic Thai apartment with good ventilation. I think this topic has outlived it's sell date, boring, who cares anyway as mode of living is a subjective topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Admin folks might consider a "Why I am Smarter Than You" forum where persons who are prone to start or respond to topics in such a manner can have their posts conveniently collected all in one place.

who said I brag of saving 5k? I saved much more than that. 5k is just a 1 percent of my saving.

I save everywhere, 5k on ac, 10k on food, 20k on beer, 20k on cigarette, 12k on rent, 500k on visa, 20k on car, etc etc...

I save over 50k every month and I live like a guy who spend 60k.

I could buy a condo each year with my saving.

So you have all this money you saved on in a bank account or investet somewhere?

If not, then you can't talk that you saved it... it's about the same as Naam was joking he was saving millions because not bought a jacht.

Actually when I read this post I have the feeling this is not a sincere post. But I can be wrong...

I invest all. stocks, auctions, cash , gold.

"don't put all you eggs in same basket "

I invest in eggs: http://www.dce.com.cn/portal/cate?cid=1383980936100

me too! every morning i ingest two of them

But what's the ROI?

Just realised I save more than both of you because I only have one egg in the morning and save on dog food coz I let them lick the plate when I'm finished.

me too! every morning i ingest two of them

But what's the ROI?

Just realised I save more than both of you because I only have one egg in the morning and save on dog food coz I let them lick the plate when I'm finished.

I got that beat, I lick my own plate. Saves on dish soap and water.

Edit: But my Imodium expense has increased quite a bit.

Edited by impulse

At last this thread is going in the right direction.

What do you mean "at last"?

It's been in the toilet since the 2nd page. If there was ever a candidate for euthanasia, it's high on the list. Just like every discussion of living costs in Thailand ends up.

At last this thread is going in the right direction.

What do you mean "at last"?

It's been in the toilet since the 2nd page. If there was ever a candidate for euthanasia, it's high on the list. Just like every discussion of living costs in Thailand ends up.

You're correct.

I can save on electricity by not posting on this thread anymore.wai2.gif

who said I brag of saving 5k? I saved much more than that. 5k is just a 1 percent of my saving.

I save everywhere, 5k on ac, 10k on food, 20k on beer, 20k on cigarette, 12k on rent, 500k on visa, 20k on car, etc etc...

I save over 50k every month and I live like a guy who spend 60k.

I could buy a condo each year with my saving.

You should consider writing a book. Even if you sold 2 or 3 copies you could double your life savings.

Your not living mate your existing, good luck with that it can have its down side

What a bunch of nonsense.

How do you know he's existing?

I posted a similar thread a while back being a cheap Charlie and all. I find it challenging to spend 30k a month. I don't have any accommodation expenses and stay in nice hotels about 8 times a month (posting this from millenium hilton). Most stays paid with credit card points.

Find a woman that doesn't expect you to build her a house or even better that owns one like in my case and you'll be saving a bunch of money in Thailand without "existing".

What is it with the Cheap Charlies?

Is it a kind of macho, braggadoccio boasting or bloating.

Unless one has no choice, why would anyone get a kick out of being skint?

I suspect that unless one has been really on one's uppers, one does not know what they are really talking about?

Being poor is nothing to brag about or feel elevated about as anyone who has had periods in their life of being really broke will tell you, just as I am doing now.

Why would someone want to live like a poor Thai?

I suspect it is that old white guilt rearing it's head in a different incarnation.

White man=most reviled creature in the free world=(because of) white culture,(slavery, colonialism, genocide, the establishment, patriarchy et al) frowned on by feminists, social justice fools, hipsters, politicians and celebrities=the desire to "adopt" an alternative culture by pretending to understand, assimilate and champion said culture.

These people who are probably ashamed of being white and Caucasian probably wear Fisherman's trousers wen shopping in Siam Paragon before progressing to live with their half-savage Isan wife in Nakhon Buttfuck.

I had a friend in Bangkok who hated everything Thai; manners, money fixations, religion etc . . . he lived in a one room apartment in Rachada. No glass in the window, just a screen, mattress on the floor, no air-con=2k a month

He spoke Thai pretty well and liked to live like a poor thai. He drank like one too and was a raging alcoholic who often woke up the morning after 15 big Leos on the floor of the crappy bar he had got blitzed inside.

He had a fortune invested safely but then got greedy and lost it all in a ponzi scheme.

Now he has to live like a poor Thai . . . but the point is, his room was so awful that even Thai whores would not stay the night, and that's because they had more beauty in their souls and a very human desire to look at and be surrounded by beauty.

Poverty corrupts and eats away at the soul . . . the people that come here and play at being "poor Thais" ought to take a look inside their hearts or at least keep their nonsense to themselves and stop boasting.

Your not living mate your existing, good luck with that it can have its down side

I posted a similar thread a while back being a cheap Charlie and all. I find it challenging to spend 30k a month. I don't have any accommodation expenses and stay in nice hotels about 8 times a month (posting this from millenium hilton). Most stays paid with credit card points.

Find a woman that doesn't expect you to build her a house or even better that owns one like in my case and you'll be saving a bunch of money in Thailand without "existing".

I suspect that unless one has been really on one's uppers, one does not know what they are really talking about?

Being poor is nothing to brag about or feel elevated about as anyone who has had periods in their life of being really broke will tell you, just as I am doing now.

I suspect it is that old white guilt rearing it's head in a different incarnation.

White man=most reviled creature in the free world=(because of) white culture,(slavery, colonialism, genocide, the establishment, patriarchy et al) frowned on by feminists, social justice fools, hipsters, politicians and celebrities=the desire to "adopt" an alternative culture by pretending to understand, assimilate and champion said culture.

These people who are probably ashamed of being white and Caucasian probably wear Fisherman's trousers wen shopping in Siam Paragon before progressing to live with their half-savage Isan wife in Nakhon Buttfuck.

I had a friend in Bangkok who hated everything Thai; manners, money fixations, religion etc . . . he lived in a one room apartment in Rachada. No glass in the window, just a screen, mattress on the floor, no air-con=2k a month

He spoke Thai pretty well and liked to live like a poor thai. He drank like one too and was a raging alcoholic who often woke up the morning after 15 big Leos on the floor of the crappy bar he had got blitzed inside.

He had a fortune invested safely but then got greedy and lost it all in a ponzi scheme.

Now he has to live like a poor Thai . . . but the point is, his room was so awful that even Thai whores would not stay the night, and that's because they had more beauty in their souls and a very human desire to look at and be surrounded by beauty.

Poverty corrupts and eats away at the soul . . . the people that come here and play at being "poor Thais" ought to take a look inside their hearts or at least keep their nonsense to themselves and stop boasting.

Or maybe....just maybe in the land of the poor and no law for you just don't want to look like a target?

I like what this comment gestures at - very cod Plato. Socrates was dirt poor, and even when the aristocrats tried to help him out he wasn't interested. Looking around the things in the market he would say, "So many things that I don't need". The Stoics also knew the real value of things - bread is nourishment, and this is its essential quality. Plato said that everything beautiful participates in the form of beauty, and the gear philosopher Robert Nozick thought that - if you had to find a crisp definition of beauty (that might be a "form") is would be something like "unity in diversity".

Do you honestly think that the grasping consumerism of Thai hookers and their half-wit farang apologists is disquisition on beauty? cheesy.gif

Let me tell you one thing. Whatever beauty is you can't buy it. This morning I was ruminating on what it is that makes students in a community college so hopeless. I decided, after much thought, that a lack of interest, being un-biddable and being congenitally stupid are the three criteria. Anyone who fails throughout school has to have two of these characteristics to end up in a community college. If you're interested in ideas and biddable you can be thick and you'll still do well in school. If you're clever and interested you'll do well, even if you're un-biddable. Two failures are needed to get you into a community college.

That's a beautiful little explanation, isn't it? I didn't buy it! cheesy.gif

[As an aside, the students in said college would agree with you and not me. They're obsessed with buying things, can't interest themselves in anything, and so can buy nothing. I, uninterested as I am, see the money flow in and not out, can buy anything, and have no interest. Ironic, eh?]

yesterday i saved 65 million Dollars because i did not buy a Gulfstream G650 but fly to Europe and back with Qatar.

this weekend i am planning to save more than 300 million Dollars by not ordering a 96m motor yacht. still have to figure out how much i save by not maintaining this yacht.

my breakfast today was approximately 300 Baht but i saved ~45,000 Baht by not eating a good portion of Iranian Beluga caviar.

my problem is where to put all these savings because i don't trust banks.

Meh, you get a G650 for 58 million these days.

http://www.gulfstream.com/preowned/aircraft/sn6030

A second hand G650?

Why?

Need to save on that too?

What a life :)

I dont know the exact price of cigarette as I m not a smoker & Not a drinker . I save another 3k on health insurance every month , and I got compound interest. after a life, probably a few millions baht saved. I save sooooo much... it s just unebelievabke. people back in farang land want come to Thailand now and live the 5 stars life like I have but they are scared to get all these things for so little. they prefer to pay tax and live a miserable life surrounded by junks.

I have saved a few million baht by not buying gadgets like apple phone, tablets, video games, etc,... when I was younger. instead I buy everything second hand. money saved bring me more money and so on. it's just incredible. I win everywhere, but you know that already.

I m on a tourist visa, I just have saved over 500'000 baht( plus compound interest that will bring me 30 to 50 percent more) by not going elite visa. with the money saved I can buy flight ticket hotel, food, or just a few condo to my name ... just awesome! imagine a country filled with guys like me?

do you know the secret of success? it s not how much you make, but how much you save.

Maybe you could use some of those savings to have a talk with a shrink?

Or maybe....just maybe in the land of the poor and no law for you just don't want to look like a target?

I understand why you would make the assumption that opposed as I may seem to "living like a Thai" and Cheap Charlie"ism

I would be an exponent of materialism.

The notion that money cannot buy one happiness is somewhat quaint given the worlds in which we live.

It's not true, though, is it?

For example, spending 20k upwards on an apartment will probably secure one a view from a balcony. It may not be a view of the hanging gardens of Babylon (python) but it will probably be across beautiful Bangkok or like mine, of the Chao Phrya.

I contest that the view is good for one's soul and can be purchased. It makes me happier to awaken every morning and see the Bangkok skyline than it did when I paid only 8k a month and looked out over a broken down garden.

Of course we don't need all the nonsense we buy for ourselves like Iphone's etc but consumerables and apartments that offer an "ease of heart" are well worth the money.

Then again, we are all different and some people are not affected by their environment. Personally, the view from the balcony can be "make or break" as can the " vibe" of a place. Money, at least, a little is pretty important.

Money is not evil, only 1% of people having access to most of it is what's evil.

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

Gee bubba, glad you didn't include a bathroom mirror selfie.

As for the op, Who really cares.

I've lived frugally when required, I would rather avoid it however.

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

Gee bubba, glad you didn't include a bathroom mirror selfie.

As for the op, Who really cares.

I've lived frugally when required, I would rather avoid it however.

Also glad we can't download or experience resultant gas emissions from the next morning.?

I like what this comment gestures at - very cod Plato. Socrates was dirt poor, and even when the aristocrats tried to help him out he wasn't interested. Looking around the things in the market he would say, "So many things that I don't need". The Stoics also knew the real value of things - bread is nourishment, and this is its essential quality. Plato said that everything beautiful participates in the form of beauty, and the gear philosopher Robert Nozick thought that - if you had to find a crisp definition of beauty (that might be a "form") is would be something like "unity in diversity".

Do you honestly think that the grasping consumerism of Thai hookers and their half-wit farang apologists is disquisition on beauty? cheesy.gif

Let me tell you one thing. Whatever beauty is you can't buy it. This morning I was ruminating on what it is that makes students in a community college so hopeless. I decided, after much thought, that a lack of interest, being un-biddable and being congenitally stupid are the three criteria. Anyone who fails throughout school has to have two of these characteristics to end up in a community college. If you're interested in ideas and biddable you can be thick and you'll still do well in school. If you're clever and interested you'll do well, even if you're un-biddable. Two failures are needed to get you into a community college.

That's a beautiful little explanation, isn't it? I didn't buy it! cheesy.gif

[As an aside, the students in said college would agree with you and not me. They're obsessed with buying things, can't interest themselves in anything, and so can buy nothing. I, uninterested as I am, see the money flow in and not out, can buy anything, and have no interest. Ironic, eh?]

Where and how do you know that the words of Socrates?
Frow Plato, Xenophon and Aristophanes?
But they wrote different about sokrate, sometimes quite the opposite.
How this can be trusted?gigglem.gif
Do you honestly think that the grasping consumerism of Thai hookers and their half-wit farang apologists is disquisition on beauty?©
Why Not?
or you believe that you are the higher mind of another is not worthy to have their perception of beauty?cheesy.gif
Whatever beauty is you can't buy it ©
can buy anything, and have no interest. Ironic, eh?©
you are very contradictory.. as Plato and Xenophon In the description of Socrates' thoughtsgigglem.gif