Best way to get rid of cockroaches?

SS1

Cleaning will not get rid of roaches. They can eat and survive on paper, wallboard, plaster, etc etc for months. Once you bring one of these little buggers into your home (almost all grocery store in Thailand have the German cockroach infestation) you will have guests.

Gel Baits: the only effective way of do it yourself control.

Professional

They hide anywhere and these little buggers immkdiately after hatching have a built in evasive sense. They are virtually impossible to catch and kill.

I had them once and just by accident I got rid of them when a gecko took up residence in my room. I started seeing fewer and fewer (when I came home and hit the lights) and then once I did not see anymore...I saw the gecko on the ceiling. So...get a gecko...they are deadly with bugs especially roaches. I am serious...they are harmless.

I too suspect an infested building.

I can only suggest barrier spraying on all outer walls on a regular basis, at least once a month. I suspect they would still come but would die.

I have this done in my house and the only issue I had was when I bought a few cases of beer, which I store in the house, and once a cocky nest came with one.

Unpleasant, sounds like the whole building needs doing.

re,, cacoons. i have never seen a roach in my condo,but last week i took my suitcase down from on top of the bedroom wardrobe and about half a dozen small cacoons hanging from the ceiling ,could this be roach cacoons. ?? thanks in advance

re,, cacoons. i have never seen a roach in my condo,but last week i took my suitcase down from on top of the bedroom wardrobe and about half a dozen small cacoons hanging from the ceiling ,could this be roach cacoons. ?? thanks in advance

Roaches don't make cocoons. If they were spherical and white or grayish they are from a spider. if they are oblong likely from case bearer moths. Roaches leave egg casings and black pepper like droppings. If you open a dark corner or box and find tan colored egg casings surrounded by what looks like a zillion spots of black pepper...you will know you've got em.

I think your can get the 'smoke bomb' type foggers at Home Pro. Clear the center of the room, open all internal doors including cupboard doors and drawers. Cover eating plates, cups and eating utensils. Close all external doors and windows. Fans and air conditioning turned off. Place a small ovenproof bowl in the middle of the room with about 1 cm of water in it (the fogger gets hot). Pop the tab on the can and place in the bowl. Retreat to the door and check to see it start fogging. When it does, leave, lock the door and stay away for 6 hours.

Come back, sweep up all the bodies, wipe down only the surfaces you will be handling food on or doing personal hygiene on, like the kitchen work surfaces, sink, wash hand basin, shaving stand in the bathroom, makeup table, etc.. Wait 2-3 days before mopping the floors.

Also listen to your neighbors suddenly complaining about a surge in cockroaches.

Whats about the smoke detector?wink.png

What's with the what now?

Edited by NanLaew

Boric acid powder mix with water, seal all cochrocher hiding places with silicon pasta, darns cover, pipes inlets regular insect spraying. Poisonous Roach Baits. Door/floor flap seal in all doors.

You can also just put the Boric Acid powder in something like a small empty washing liquid bottle and puff it around the perimeter of all your rooms, under the furniture etcetera. if you do it finely enough, the cockroaches walk right through it, pick up the powder on their legs then ingest it when they clean themselves. As other cockroaches eat their dead friends, the poison can spread far and wide. I think this is more effective than making bait and killing the roaches in your house. I never liked the idea of laying bait in any case, as you are basically encouraging cockroaches to enter your home.

I used to find one or two every couple of days in my house until I realized they were entering through the washing machine waste pipe (or more accurately, the water pipe into which it is stuffed). The pipe from the washing machine is just stuck into a blue plastic water pipe, which runs outside. After I put putty all around the waste hose so there was no longer a large space between the hose and the water pipe opening, they stopped coming in. If you read articles on cockroaches written in the West, they will tell you that cockroaches do not climb up through the drains, which is quite true in the West. Here, where water traps under shower drains seem to be missing in many homes, they do indeed get in through the drains. The big greasy American roaches generally live outside in the sewers/storm drains etcetera, and scavenge in houses at night. The German variety, which are much smaller (around 1/2 inch compared to 1 1/2 inches for the American) are more likely to make nests in your house.

That's my experience of roaches here anyway. I'm sure somebody will come along to correct me!

P.S. If you want to kill the live ones you see and you don't like the idea of spraying half a can of poison on each one as it makes your whole house stink, you can use the little battery-powered mosquito tennis racquet style things to kill them. Hold the racquet against the roach and press the button - if you can manage to flip the roach on its back, this works much better. The legs stick to the wire mesh of the racquet (through which the electric current is running) and the roach starts to smoke! Personally, I then take it outside and do my impression of an Andy Murray serve as I release the power button, to fling the roach across the road.

Edited by Mark123456