Why is this girl smiling?

Inspire

Why is this girl smiling?

Orlando Barton

post-245411-0-99959500-1463874293_thumb.

The Land of Smiles right? Everybody knows about it. Everybody talks about it. What does it really mean?

I come from a pretty friendly part of the world. People are polite. People say “hello” and wave or nod their head. Sometimes they smile, but not like in Thailand. When I first got here I thought it was some kind of game or trick. “What’s wrong with these smiling idiots?” I thought. “There’s just no way they are that happy”.

Now that I’ve been here a while I’ve refined my theories on the Thai smile many times. Listen to some old-timers and you may get a big old mouthful of jaded negativity. Some longtime expats will tell you a smiling Thai only wants something. Others will say a Thai person who smiles at you is afraid.

I’ve certainly seen the smile displayed when my normal reaction would be to shriek in terror. If you’ve ever been in Thai traffic and seen a “near miss” accident on a motorbike, invariably the driver and passengers will all appear to think their near death experience is hilarious. That’s just how they deal with danger and threats.

When I show up in the lobby of my condo, red-faced because I’m inconvenienced by something or other, I can tell the receptionist in our building is becoming uncomfortable with my tone by her big silly smile. There I am, as the Thais say, “eating her head” and all she can do is smile and say “Ka”. It might drive a person unfamiliar with Thai custom over the edge.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/girl-smiling/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-05-22

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are falangs all grumpy and don't smile, can be used both ways.

By the way not all Thai's smile, some have a very hard face about them, also not all falang are grumpy.

Where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet probably 95% of Thai females smile with/for/at me.

Very few of them want anything from me. I get this in the shops, on the street, almost anywhere.

They range from young girls to grannies.

Perhaps it is the attitude I have in smiling first or smiling back, making poor jokes in my poor Thai (being partly deaf doesn't help me much either) and generally enjoying life the best that I can.

I see Thai people smile a lot when they are embarrassed by something they have done, as in the instance the OP gave in a situation on the roads etc.,but other than that I don't see them smile a lot. On the contrary, I have stopped using certain sellers of food, iced coffee etc., because of the cranky expression on their faces when you approach them wanting to buy something. Some look like they don't want customers and one would nearly feel like apologizing for dragging them away from their phones. I now use the ones who DO actually give you a welcoming smile and at least show that they are happy to have your custom.

Edited by dotpoom

They sure dont smile for official photographs like passports or ID cards or emplyoee badges......I told my ex that if she smiled for her passport I would give her 20k.....

Where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet probably 95% of Thai females smile with/for/at me.

Very few of them want anything from me. I get this in the shops, on the street, almost anywhere.

They range from young girls to grannies.

Perhaps it is the attitude I have in smiling first or smiling back, making poor jokes in my poor Thai (being partly deaf doesn't help me much either) and generally enjoying life the best that I can.

Well strike me lucky! I've the same experience, when you give people a genuine smile.......gosh! They smile back! Poor jokes about yourself are a big help as Thai men wouldn't do that in a fit! Face you know! Feel good about yourself, ask women old and young... "are you married yet?" with a big grin and they'll come back with some quip in Thai that'll have everyone laughing!

And, you're right, being partly deaf is a big help, sometimes it doesn't help to hear everything!! laugh.pngthumbsup.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

They sure dont smile for official photographs like passports or ID cards or emplyoee badges......I told my ex that if she smiled for her passport I would give her 20k.....

I got married in Thailand. We had the obligatory flower board where people would have their pix taken with the bride & groom. Families would come up all laughing & smiling, but once the photographer was all lined up they'd go stone face. Snap the pic, and then all laughing & smiling again. Looking at the album, you'd think they were at a funeral. Wife tells me this is conditioned from the days of pre-school when you are not allowed to smile for school photos. too bad.

Rather be confronted with smiles than scowls and miserable faces as is often the case elsewhere.

In the UK it is very rare to see someone smile. Miserable bunch of people. Yes I am a Brit and no I don't like the people in the UK, happy?

More Thai bashing ! For heaven sakes all you bitter farangs get over yourselves !

+1 Well said. Ypu would normally say "if your not happy here then find somewhere that you can be happy in." I would imagine some on here could not be happy anywhere. If they won lottery they would complain that the payout was in the wrong denominations. "Wanted all 500 baht notes not these bloody 1000s".

A friend of mine has become so affected by the behaviour that he not only initiates and responds in kind, but also smiles at people in general when he returns to the UK.

Amazingly many people in the UK also smile back.

I got married in Thailand. We had the obligatory flower board where people would have their pix taken with the bride & groom. Families would come up all laughing & smiling, but once the photographer was all lined up they'd go stone face. Snap the pic, and then all laughing & smiling again. Looking at the album, you'd think they were at a funeral. Wife tells me this is conditioned from the days of pre-school when you are not allowed to smile for school photos. too bad.

I only have one picture of my wife smiling openly. Caught her off guard at Doi Suthep. Staged pictures are all with frowns. Strange.

It's a mix of natural shyness, natural beauty and aggression. They simply don't turn down their eyes like dogs do. I wonder what they see when they see a Farang. Please show a little empathy, and smile back.

you aren't supposed to smile for a passport photo.

Many a Thai Smile will be out of embarrassment.

Ask why they're "smiling", the "smile" will disappear very quickly.

I prefer "grumpy" foreigner face. More realistic, more natural.

we do not have to be clever and witty here.
But that stupid, it's amazing ...