Pink ID Card

HullyGully

A couple of good reasons, 1- then you have no legal need to carry your passport around with you, 2- no need to get a residency cert every time you want to buy or sell a vehicle. Another is it sends a signal to those in authority you have nothing to hide. You suggest no reason to subscribe to such a card unless you live here, if you took the time to read my post correctly you would see it was only available to those with permenant residency or a tabian baan which gives your residency details, thus not available to those who don't live here !

I have seen reports (other provinces I admit) where people were getting issued these without yellow books and possibly not even on extensions.

Also as this has no indication of visa status on them I find the idea that it negates having a passport on hand a bit questionable.

At a police check-point or in a raid, the pinkun' will not say anything about your visa status and as such will be inadequate. I don't think you need a yellow book to get one, probably because they're falling over themselves to give you one and to get you all deeper in the system, fingerprints and all. Before you know it, they'll be asking you for bank account details and which media sites you use.

Oh look, I've got a Thai ID card!! Well, an alien card, but it's in Thai and it's got my photo on it!

You've got to laugh.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

possibly a bit paranoid ?

Which coincidentally was one of the first singles I ever bought! Good old Ozzie.

In times of military rule, when the government is trying to install an internet gateway and restrict your basic freedoms, when immigration starts asking for you to reveal all bank accounts, social media accounts, which bars and restaurants you frequent, and what you had for breakfast, on threat of not getting a visa, a little paranoia may come in handy. And I don't mean the Black Sabbath variety, which ALWAYS comes in handy.

No, I certainly won't be voluntarily going to government offices to be finger-printed and processed, thank-you very much. Keeping under the radar and out of the system as much as possible is the way I'm going. You won't catch me going for the Pink.

I got the pink card in Hang Dong Amphur less than 2 weeks ago. They did fingerprints with a print reader. Cost 70 baht. Yellow house registration submitted with application.

I am also fingerprinted with a reader when I enter Thailand through an airport.

where?blink.png

i am entry in Thailand more then 50 times... never ask fingerpint..

I got the pink card in Hang Dong Amphur less than 2 weeks ago. They did fingerprints with a print reader. Cost 70 baht. Yellow house registration submitted with application.

where?blink.png

nor me

where?blink.png

It was in Bangkok, but it has been a few years. I don't remember it coming into Chiang Mai.

EDIT: It was also the Immigration transiting to domestic and it was in a different area than where I normally entered Thailand if I was stopping over in Bangkok.

Not a current news item, but:

Police to introduce fingerprint scanning at Suvarnabhumi

The Immigration Bureau plans to install fingerprint identification equipment at Suvarnabhumi Airport within the next two months.

The new equipment is part of a global trend among international airports to utilise biometric scanning technology for security and efficiency purposes.

"Immigration procedures at Suvarnabhumi are very fast. It takes only 20 seconds for the average passenger. It will be even faster when we finish installing the fingerprint identification units," said Police Lieutenant General Suwat Tumrongsriskul, Immigration Bureau Commissioner, who inspected the new airport Thursday during its first day of full commercial service.

In addition to fingerprint scanning equipment, immigration police plan to install additional electronic passport control technology, which they hope will also be in place before the end of November.

During the inspection, Suwat dismissed concerns over criminals possibly taking advantage of the transition period between Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang) and Suvarnabhumi to sneak in or out of the country.

"We have installed passport reading machines at the gate. The passengers need to present their passport a second time before boarding an aircraft. This is to prevent the usage of bogus passports. The machines are also connected to a database of wanted persons," said Suwat.

For arriving flights, the Immigration Bureau has requested that airlines submit a passenger manifest before a plane arrives, again for security and efficiency purposes. Police can scrutinise the data and, therefore, accelerate procedures before passengers even reach immigration booths.

A couple of good reasons, 1- then you have no legal need to carry your passport around with you, 2- no need to get a residency cert every time you want to buy or sell a vehicle. Another is it sends a signal to those in authority you have nothing to hide. You suggest no reason to subscribe to such a card unless you live here, if you took the time to read my post correctly you would see it was only available to those with permenant residency or a tabian baan which gives your residency details, thus not available to those who don't live here !

I have seen reports (other provinces I admit) where people were getting issued these without yellow books and possibly not even on extensions.

Also as this has no indication of visa status on them I find the idea that it negates having a passport on hand a bit questionable.

At a police check-point or in a raid, the pinkun' will not say anything about your visa status and as such will be inadequate. I don't think you need a yellow book to get one, probably because they're falling over themselves to give you one and to get you all deeper in the system, fingerprints and all. Before you know it, they'll be asking you for bank account details and which media sites you use.

Oh look, I've got a Thai ID card!! Well, an alien card, but it's in Thai and it's got my photo on it!

You've got to laugh.

They don't take your fingerprints,only a thumb print, maybe carried over from when they process the Burmese,

Laotian,and Cambodian migrant workers for their pink ID cards,as some of them may not be able to write their

names,and maybe they thought some Farangs may not be able to either.

The card has a magnetic strip on the back,so when swiped through a reader on a computer,all relevant details

will be displayed,that they already have on file in the system,visa details,90 day reports,TM30,etc,etc,also your

blood group,which could be a lifesaver if you are ever involved in an serious accident(provided you are carrying the card)

So far nothing sinister or anything to be paranoid about,the problem may come later(as this Government,seems to want

to know a lot about you)and who knows what information they will need next......maybe your inside leg measurementsfacepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

They don't take your fingerprints,only a thumb print, maybe carried over from when they process the Burmese,

Laotian,and Cambodian migrant workers for their pink ID cards,as some of them may not be able to write their

names,and maybe they thought some Farangs may not be able to either.

The card has a magnetic strip on the back,so when swiped through a reader on a computer,all relevant details

will be displayed,that they already have on file in the system,visa details,90 day reports,TM30,etc,etc,also your

blood group,which could be a lifesaver if you are ever involved in an serious accident(provided you are carrying the card)

So far nothing sinister or anything to be paranoid about,the problem may come later(as this Government,seems to want

to know a lot about you)and who knows what information they will need next......maybe your inside leg measurementsfacepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

Yes, correct, worgeordie.... It was a thumbprint for me at the amphur office and also at the airport.

The airport one, apparently, has to do with biometrics and passports or something. As I said in my post, I haven't been through Bangkok airports for a few years, but I will be there before the end of this year.

I have no idea what they are using the thumbprint at the amphur office for.

Most of us would assume that you are a legal visitor to Thailand. So whether or not you "like" it, you ARE in the system. But then is is entirely possible that you are a multi-year over-stay.

In times of military rule, when the government is trying to install an internet gateway and restrict your basic freedoms, when immigration starts asking for you to reveal all bank accounts, social media accounts, which bars and restaurants you frequent, and what you had for breakfast, on threat of not getting a visa, a little paranoia may come in handy. And I don't mean the Black Sabbath variety, which ALWAYS comes in handy.

No, I certainly won't be voluntarily going to government offices to be finger-printed and processed, thank-you very much. Keeping under the radar and out of the system as much as possible is the way I'm going. You won't catch me going for the Pink.

Most of us would assume that you are a legal visitor to Thailand. So whether or not you "like" it, you ARE in the system. But then is is entirely possible that you are a multi-year over-stay.

Anything is possible. Yes, I am in the system, but only so far as is necessary. Voluntarily presenting myself to be finger-printed and treated like a criminal for something I have no need for is not my style, as weird as that may seem.

I fell for a similar trick when as a young boy I sent off a few pennies and a self-addressed envelope to become a member of International Rescue. Sure enough, I got my membership card and a few stickers to paste onto the headboard of my bed, but after a while I came to realise that the enclosed ID card was never going to allow me to command Thunderbird 1 , 2, or 3, never mind Thunderbird 4. All that initial euphoria and the showing off to my friends that weren't members of this elite group, was for nothing.

Scars like that don't go away, and it becomes a lesson for life. Fortunately, not too long after that bitter experience I discovered Stingray and the elusive Aqua Marina so I did get over it, a little.

Did you consider to erase your fingerprints? There are surgical and chemical options. Just in case I mean.

(make sure they don't use the surgical prints for some high security stuff)

:)

i got one at maerim as stated before post 120b if older dont have to renew last lifetime

now why have one carrying passport all the time

my passport got wet in a storm

15000b renew if had pink sealed card no worrys

Did you consider to erase your fingerprints? There are surgical and chemical options. Just in case I mean.

smile.png

If they were smart, the authorities would have announced free Pink'uns with a Facebook lucky draw on the Chiang Mai imm Facebook page. Of course, everyone would 'win'.

They would then have the Facebook accounts of most of the gullible expats in town, who let's face it are their target. What would that give them? Where they are, who they are with and what they had to eat and drink, (along with the photo evidence), for breakfast, lunch and dinner, not forgetting the night-cap. Every moment of their day would be traceable as they 'check-in' at the restaurant, cinema, airport etc from the moment they awake to drawing the curtains at night. A snoopers dream!!

i got one at maerim as stated before post 120b if older dont have to renew last lifetime

now why have one carrying passport all the time

my passport got wet in a storm

15000b renew if had pink sealed card no worrys

Even Google translate struggled on that one. It really is time to get that keyboard fixed, especially the Caps Lock, the "." and "," keys.

The bit about older people not having to renew because they probably don't have long to live, so in effect it lasts a lifetime, was funny, although they might not appreciate being told that their time is nearly up. I had a chuckle, anyway.

No harm done with my yellow book, I opened a number of bank accounts and closed them, got driver licenses, bought property, my car is registered in BKK with CNX number, so is my bike. All for what I'd have to queue for a while and fork out extra money. The pink card is actually cute, but I also have a SG PR card that is blue. They match all up nicely and when a BiB come I can pull out whatever makes him happy :)

Really ??

I have never been finger printed, on any visa class, in 10s of entries..

Cambo, sure.. Here ?? Never even seen the machines.

smile.png

If they were smart, the authorities would have announced free Pink'uns with a Facebook lucky draw on the Chiang Mai imm Facebook page. Of course, everyone would 'win'.

They would then have the Facebook accounts of most of the gullible expats in town, who let's face it are their target. What would that give them? Where they are, who they are with and what they had to eat and drink, (along with the photo evidence), for breakfast, lunch and dinner, not forgetting the night-cap. Every moment of their day would be traceable as they 'check-in' at the restaurant, cinema, airport etc from the moment they awake to drawing the curtains at night. A snoopers dream!!

Except.. Thats not really how FB works these days is it ??

Anyone under the age of 40 realizes you dont share to public, or even your entire friends list.. Its subgroups and locked privacy settings..

But yeah.. Might catch a few luddites I guess..

• 4 weeks later...

where?blink.png

It was in Bangkok, but it has been a few years. I don't remember it coming into Chiang Mai.

EDIT: It was also the Immigration transiting to domestic and it was in a different area than where I normally entered Thailand if I was stopping over in Bangkok.

Sorry late answer.

But come to Chiang Mai. Its only few Time.

Almost all time its be in Bangkok Airport. Last time just near month ago.

Not Any fingerprint.

Not Any fingerprint.

There is some automatic clearance for Thai citizens at the airport. I believe it uses fingeprints.

Being SG PR there is also a fingerprint scanner, in and out. Never works for me, asian fingers are different perhaps.

Anyway, that pink card is a picture ID, nothing more, nothing less. There is no storage media on it that could have the fingerprints, they are in the system only, not on the card.

Decided yesterday while I was out near the Amphur Hang Dong office to get the pink ID card.Was referred to the boss, who seem bemused that I wanted one,

and I expected that,apparently quite a few requests of late.I used the reason it might be handy for someone who could not read my DL which of course carries my name,address etc in English and as a backup to my yellow book.

I was asked for my passport,which was photocopied,yellow book and was required to provide both thumb and index finger prints,right and left hand .The card also carries my blood group

Cost was 60 baht.All done in under 15 mins.That was yesterday and as we know the goal posts keep constantly moving but that's an updatte as at 29/7/16.

If you are going to Hang Dong go around 3pm,apparently it's very busy in the morning session.

Decided yesterday while I was out near the Amphur Hang Dong office to get the pink ID card.Was referred to the boss, who seem bemused that I wanted one,

and I expected that,apparently quite a few requests of late.I used the reason it might be handy for someone who could not read my DL which of course carries my name,address etc in English and as a backup to my yellow book.

I was asked for my passport,which was photocopied,yellow book and was required to provide both thumb and index finger prints,right and left hand .The card also carries my blood group

Cost was 60 baht.All done in under 15 mins.That was yesterday and as we know the goal posts keep constantly moving but that's an updatte as at 29/7/16.

If you are going to Hang Dong go around 3pm,apparently it's very busy in the morning session.

Got mine 3 days ago at Amphur Chiang Mai.

Same requirements (yellow book, passport) and only took thumb prints.

60 baht.

Quick and easy.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, macgver said:

I just got the Pink Thai ID Card without any cost. I just showed my Yellow Tabian Baan, marriage certificate (Thai spouse) and passport. It took 5 mins to complete the whole process in Bangkok.

Didn't they finger-print  you?

35 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Both for me Rob,at Hang Dong Amphur.Lady officer 40 plus.I didn't ask why ,in and out in 15 mins, was about 3 months ago

I've never been fingerprinted and plan on that staying the same. If someone wanted to fingerprint me I'd certainly want to know why. I've never been one to voluntarily offer my details to government officials. For some reason that  makes me the odd one out here. Having survived without one for nigh on 30 years I won't be rushing out to get one. Each to there own.

Archived