Pink ID Card

HullyGully

10 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Both for me Rob,at Hang Dong Amphur.Lady officer 40 plus.I didn't ask why ,in and out in 15 mins, was about 3 months ago

Both thumbs?  

Or all fingers and thumbs?  Perhaps you looked a bit dodgy Mike. :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my pink ID card in Amphoe Banglamung last week. In theory, same experience as others, they wanted:

- copy of yellow tabien baan

- copy of passport pages

- copy of my wifes ID card (but no copies of the marriage documents)

- fingerprint of both thumbs

what was different for me is that my yellow tabien baan was issued at the tessaban Nongprue office, so the officer in the Amphoe wanted to have copies from the documents delivered to the tessaban at the time of issuing the yellow book. So drive to Nongprue, ask for the documents, have them stamped  by the tessaban officer and back to Banglamung, after that I had my ID 10 minutes later. 

What made me smile is that accordint to the ID, I now look around 6-8cm taller than I am on my Swiss ID... reason is that the camera is fixed on around 150cm height and then just turned up or down - and when you are 180+, that gives a real wrong picture of your height due to the uplooking angle of the camera.

3 hours ago, kaptainrob said:

Both thumbs?  

Or all fingers and thumbs?  Perhaps you looked a bit dodgy Mike. :D

Both thumbs and both index fingers ,doesnt worry me they can have my big toe prints too if they want.

I find it easier just to go along with what is the flavour of the day

1 hour ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

No, but it makes you feel like you're a Thai  - It's got Thai words on it.

It says you're an alien!!

and it gives you more bragging rights when your around the boys..Same as a YTB. Actually the YTB is more useful because you get 10 pages of paper. Ever tried to use plastic afterwards.:whistling::cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 11:43 PM, SpoliaOpima said:

Got mine today at the Chiang Mai district office. Cost 65 baht. They didn't ask my blood group. All other requirements as noted by others.

Could you please be more specific?  Do you mean the Amphur offices for Mueang, about 300m west of the police station (old City)...which is where I wrongly started the Yellow Book process, and then was sent to the wrong Tessabon Office (There are at least two for Su Thep).

Just received my Frang I.D. Card.

You must go to Ampure that issued your Yellow Book and that along with your Passport, where all documents required.

Was told this morning to be there at 3 and arrived at 2.45.

Out all complete by 3.15.

You need a Thai with you, the senior maid from my condo came along and I think she was asked about a  dozen times if she was my wife. Much embarrassment.

Her I.D, Card was copied.

The staff did All the writing in Thai script.

A electronic thumb print for both hands and B65 was the total cost.

john

17 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Just received my Frang I.D. Card.

You must go to Ampure that issued your Yellow Book and that along with your Passport, where all documents required.

Was told this morning to be there at 3 and arrived at 2.45.

Out all complete by 3.15.

You need a Thai with you, the senior maid from my condo came along and I think she was asked about a  dozen times if she was my wife. Much embarrassment.

Her I.D, Card was copied.

The staff did All the writing in Thai script.

A electronic thumb print for both hands and B65 was the total cost.

john

Pretty much my experience too except they wanted my blood group.Now all we need is a reason to use it ,any sensible suggestions?

I showed mine to my Bank Manager last week ,he had never seen one and was quite intrigued, well he shook his head in disbelieve TIT

Of course if you happen to move to another province you have to go through it all again.  

I collected a EMS parcel today at the post office. Strangely she did not even asked me for my passport but the ID, as if she would knew. Perhaps I looked like a general alien :D

Of course if you happen to move to another province you have to go through it all again.  

You don't, the Thai system works with registration anywhere, not necessarily at the place you live. Strange concept, but that's how it is. My car is registered with CNX number on my BKK address.

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

I collected a EMS parcel today at the post office. Strangely she did not even asked me for my passport but the ID, as if she would knew. Perhaps I looked like a general alien :D

You don't, the Thai system works with registration anywhere, not necessarily at the place you live. Strange concept, but that's how it is. My car is registered with CNX number on my BKK address.

You have to have a YTB to get a pink card. You move to another amphur district your YTB has to be changed to the new amphur which makes your pink ID card no good. Sparkles is correct.

What makes you think that? The Thai system works differently from western countries. You need to be registered somewhere, not at the place you live.

That has nothing to do with immigration and arrival card, TM28 or TM30. Complete independent system. Yellow book/pink card and immigration are not linked in any way. Which is actually counterproductive as you still need to carry your passport around. But that's as it is.

12 minutes ago, MadMac said:

What makes you think that? The Thai system works differently from western countries. You need to be registered somewhere, not at the place you live.

That has nothing to do with immigration and arrival card, TM28 or TM30. Complete independent system. Yellow book/pink card and immigration are not linked in any way. Which is actually counterproductive as you still need to carry your passport around. But that's as it is.

Yes it does have to do with immigration. Try and use a YTB form different area out side the immigration area your in and see how far you get. Numerous immigration are requiring a YTB as proof of your residency.

Sorry, you are misled. Immigration and yellow housebook have (unfortunately) nothing at all to do together. It would be great if they had that link so carrying the pink ID would be enough to prove your visa status. But it is not. So you still would have to carry your passport around, or if not make a bet that you wont be checked.

Proof of residency can be made in several forms, letter from immigration, embassy/consulate, house book or work permit. Again all of them have nothing to do or any correlation to each other.

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Pretty much my experience too except they wanted my blood group.Now all we need is a reason to use it ,any sensible suggestions?

I showed mine to my Bank Manager last week ,he had never seen one and was quite intrigued, well he shook his head in disbelieve TIT

You voluntarily had a mugshot taken, and were finger-printed, but you don't have any reasons for it. If someone asked for my fingerprints, which has never happened so far in my life, I'd want to know why. I find it strange, but that seems to make me the odd one out here.

Thais take your fingerprints when you apply for a new passport. That is in the German Consulate. I know of people complaining about that and they went to the embassy in Bangkok to have a German guy watching them having their fingers scanned. It's just a question of how paranoid one wants to get. Up to you as they say here :lol:

26 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Thais take your fingerprints when you apply for a new passport. That is in the German Consulate. I know of people complaining about that and they went to the embassy in Bangkok to have a German guy watching them having their fingers scanned. It's just a question of how paranoid one wants to get. Up to you as they say here :lol:

But want to do it for no real reason.....?

I personally do not mind, have my fingerprints all over the world :). In SG I can walk through the automatic immigration (if it works), in TH they have similar things. It's stored in your passport they scan every single time you go in and out. Not that it makes a huge difference, but most of the data they have anyway or get if required. It's just paranoia.

14 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Yes it does have to do with immigration. Try and use a YTB form different area out side the immigration area your in and see how far you get. Numerous immigration are requiring a YTB as proof of your residency.

I just had my wife read the clauses written in Thai on the back of the card.Translated it reads, amongst other things, this card can't be used outside of the CM Province.I can't read Thai, her interpretatio,n but I was told,as previously mentioned, that in English by the boss at Hang Dong.

I'm of the thinking that taking  my fingerprints is ok.Ive got nothing to hide :) ......at the moment

The "only in the province" thing is irrelevant as you possess a valid visa or extension of stay for the whole country. The limitation on the backside comes from the (previous) card usage for stateless hilltribes. 

On 9/6/2016 at 7:37 PM, MadMac said:

Sorry, you are misled. Immigration and yellow housebook have (unfortunately) nothing at all to do together. It would be great if they had that link so carrying the pink ID would be enough to prove your visa status. But it is not. So you still would have to carry your passport around, or if not make a bet that you wont be checked.

Proof of residency can be made in several forms, letter from immigration, embassy/consulate, house book or work permit. Again all of them have nothing to do or any correlation to each other.

Not so sure about that.

Some folks in this thread are discussing the pink card in relationship:

- To a yellow Tabien Baan book. In this case the pink card has a specific expiry date, in other words it's linked to that persons' current visa dates.

- But folks who have actual Permanent Residence status are also eligible to get the pink card and in terms of expiry it says, in Thai, 'lifetime'.  

When I got the pink card, at the main Chiang Mai amphur office, about 6 months ago, I asked whether I needed to carry my foreign passport. The answer immediately from the very pleasant senior lady officer in charge, in perfect clear English was (in my summary):

'No, for PR holders the rules are in many ways the same as for Thais. Thai people must carry their Thai ID card at all times but are not required to always carry their Thai passport and in fact the majority of Thais don't have a passport. The Thai ID card is issued for life but must be renewed because of one reason - the photo must be updated, but the ID number is for life.

For foreigners with PR there is no need to carry your passport if you have your pink Thai ID card with you, it also says 'lifetime'. 

But it's not the same policies when the pink card has an expiry date meaning that it's linked to a specific visa with an expiry date, also meaning there is no automatic renewal of that visa, therefore automatic renewal of the pink card. In this case the foreigner must carry their passport at all times, even if they have their pink Thai ID card with them.  

For PR holders you need to decide whether to always carry your passport or always carry your pink card. I encourage you to always carry your pink card, and leave your passport at home under good security.'

For the record, the back of my pink card says that's it's valid anywhere in Thailand with no restrictions.

There are different pink ID's, historically they were issued to hilltribes, thus the regional limitation.

The ones we get now as farangs with yellow housebook have a validity of 10 years and are not linked to any visa, there is simply none valid for 10 years :). It also says "general alien", not permanent resident or hilltribe. I believe there are no longer permanent resident cards but just the ones for general aliens. This was reported several times.

My one has that regional clause, but it's now more than a year old already. They may have changed that too in the meantime. But there is certainly no linkage to the extension of stay. My YTB/pink card is issued from BKK, whereas my extension is from CNX and they have no clue that I have one or the other.  

So there seems still to be a lot of confusion around.

9 hours ago, MadMac said:

There are different pink ID's, historically they were issued to hilltribes, thus the regional limitation.

The ones we get now as farangs with yellow housebook have a validity of 10 years and are not linked to any visa, there is simply none valid for 10 years :). It also says "general alien", not permanent resident or hilltribe. I believe there are no longer permanent resident cards but just the ones for general aliens. This was reported several times.

My one has that regional clause, but it's now more than a year old already. They may have changed that too in the meantime. But there is certainly no linkage to the extension of stay. My YTB/pink card is issued from BKK, whereas my extension is from CNX and they have no clue that I have one or the other.  

So there seems still to be a lot of confusion around.

Was your YTB/PC from Bangkok used for your extension in CNX ?

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Was your YTB/PC from Bangkok used for your extension in CNX ?

No, it was neither used in BKK nor in CNX for anything related to immigration. You also don't need any certificate of residence for an extension, it is only required to show a rental contract or house book from wife (or papers from the company, no WP).

YTB and immigration are complete different and independent constructs, but that I said already.

40 minutes ago, MadMac said:

No, it was neither used in BKK nor in CNX for anything related to immigration. You also don't need any certificate of residence for an extension, it is only required to show a rental contract or house book from wife (or papers from the company, no WP).

YTB and immigration are complete different and independent constructs, but that I said already.

There are Immigration districs that do require a YTB for an extension. Your fortunate at this moment CNX does not.

Archived