New Democracy Movement urges people to vote in the referendum

webfact

New Democracy Movement urges people to vote in the referendum

CjDuXPqWkAAcP-e.jpg-large-wpcf_728x409.j

BANGKOK: -- The anti-military New Democracy Movement on Sunday called on eligible voters to exercise their voting rights on the national referendum day on August 8.

A leader of the movement, Mr Rangsiman Rome, said the voters should be able to decide themselves whether to vote for or against the draft constitution in the referendum.

The movement staged a protest march against the military junta from Thammasat University to the Democracy Monument on Rajdamnoen avenue in late afternoon to mark the second anniversary of the May 22 coup by the National Council for Peace and Order.

Reading from a written statement at the Democracy Monument, Mr Rangsiman said that the marchers, numbering about 300, wanted to send a message to the “silent majority” and to the “gun-toting” military that they should be aware of the problems facing the country such as poverty and “mouth and stomach” problem.

At the monument, the movement also staged a mock referendum among the marchers.

While the marchers were approaching the monument, a group of pro-military people shouted abuses at the New Democracy Movement protesters resulting to a confrontation between the two groups. However, police and army officers who were at the scene to ensure peace and order stepped in to defuse the tension.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164216

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-23

I wonder whether those "pro-military people" had short hair, "upright bearing" and were organised in a hierarchical way? A bit like the protesters who met those students on the train to Hua Hin the other month?

Edited by JAG

I wonder whether those "pro-military people" had short hair, "upright bearing" and were organised in a hierarchical way? A bit like the protesters who met those students on the train to Hua Hin the other month?

Cynic

No Realist

No AA candidate.

;-)

.............A leader of the movement, Mr Rangsiman Rome, said the voters should be able to decide themselves whether to vote for or against the draft constitution in the referendum.................................

I am puzzled by this statement - who exactly is not allowing people to make their own choices on the referendum, so far I have only seen politicians and activists trying to coherse people as to how they should vote

Cynic

No Realist

No AA candidate.

;-)

yes,

yes,

very possibly.

The higher the voter turnout in the provinces, the less likely the charter will pass. The "No" lobby simply has to try to ensure a very high voter turnout especially in the North and Northeast. They don't need to criticise the charter as it wears its colours on its sleeve. (camouflage green)

.............A leader of the movement, Mr Rangsiman Rome, said the voters should be able to decide themselves whether to vote for or against the draft constitution in the referendum.................................

I am puzzled by this statement - who exactly is not allowing people to make their own choices on the referendum, so far I have only seen politicians and activists trying to coherse people as to how they should vote

"so far I have only seen politicians and activists trying to coherse people as to how they should vote"

Can you provide examples of politicians and activists coercing people on how to vote?

I've read stories of people being detained for criticizing the draft, and stories of people praising the draft without being detained, but no stories of people being coerced on how to vote. I've also read stories of government entities "explaining" and "educating" the people about the draft constitution; only a fool would think the government is objective in explaining its own constitution.

Combine this with the fact that Prayut has ruled out international observers monitoring the referendum, and its easy to understand why foreign press organizations are describing the referendum as far from fair.

you are puzzled because you don't understand politically coded Thai.

"so far I have only seen politicians and activists trying to coherse people as to how they should vote"

Can you provide examples of politicians and activists coercing people on how to vote?

I've read stories of people being detained for criticizing the draft, and stories of people praising the draft without being detained, but no stories of people being coerced on how to vote. I've also read stories of government entities "explaining" and "educating" the people about the draft constitution; only a fool would think the government is objective in explaining its own constitution.

Combine this with the fact that Prayut has ruled out international observers monitoring the referendum, and its easy to understand why foreign press organizations are describing the referendum as far from fair.

only a fool would think - Heybruce you nailed it in those 5 words

I have seen politicians trying to influence people too

Well you know .

The pretend one with the article 44 threats .

He can arrange people to change your minds

Edited by Plutojames88