Sheep Farming In Isaan

dgoz

Good question.

Another good question is, why is New Zealand lamb so cost prohibitive in Thailand, when it is comparatively cheaper in the UK.

New Zealand isn't that far away in comparison.

(I could just do with a plate full of lamb chops right now.......... or a kebab :o )

To me the problem would be: How do you keep a sheep (in full costume= wool, fully grown, shortly before "harvest" of the wool) from dying of a heart attack. Temperature, 40 celsius, air humidity 96%? This may be the reason, that no sheep are ever seen in Thailand!

Cheers.

There seems to be some Lamb in Thailand, is it imported?

If one was to run sheep, could we teach Thais how to shear them.

It has to better money than rice farming.

Sheep are raised in Thailand. A Thai/Austrian friend of mine runs a farm in Khao Yai. A fair few problems with it, heat probably the least of them. Dogs are a big problem. Dog proof fencing is a must.

Worms are also a big problem. Strict rotational grazing must be practiced. If lambs are raised for food, they are killed at 9/10 months, so shearing is not a factor. When the ewe's fleece gets too long it tends to slough off naturally. We kept 2 on our farm last year. They grazed where they wanted, slept where they wanted, really no trouble at all, apart from little black nuts everywhere :o They fattened up really fast and the meat was finest quality. (being a Welsh lamb fan.....I know) I'll post his number later. He sells lamb and live lambs.

Regards

TT, how many does he run on how much land ?

He's just moved to a new100 rai farm. Not sure about the numbers. 300 I'd say at a guess. After pulling sheep off a pasture, it must be left at least 3 months for the worm eggs (most of them anyway) to go through their cycle and die off. Worms can take a very heavy toll on young lambs.

Regards

This topic was bought up about 18 months ago. I think the bottom line was that sheep are not viable in most of Thailand because of desease, I believe the university at Chiang Mai had been experimenting with different breeds.

Oh! For a leg of lamb :o - My sister in drought ridden South Aus is feeding lamb to her dogs just to get rid of em. :D

TT, how many does he run on how much land ?

He's just moved to a new100 rai farm. Not sure about the numbers. 300 I'd say at a guess. After pulling sheep off a pasture, it must be left at least 3 months for the worm eggs (most of them anyway) to go through their cycle and die off. Worms can take a very heavy toll on young lambs.

Regards

I bet he's a Kiwi... They love their sheep.(its not about the money I am sure)

hehehehe :o:D:D

In The Rai!

I bet he's a Kiwi... They love their sheep.(its not about the money I am sure)

hehehehe :o:D:D

In The Rai!

Yes, a Kiwi, and they have found a new use for sheep there: meat and wool. (think about it).

the country has 100 million sheep and 3 million people. If the sheep all farted at the same time there would be a bigger hole in the ozone layer!

Ahh yes, Kiwi jokes.

I would bring over a leg of lamb to Surin for you guys, but going to BKK first and it wouldn't keep.

Last night my (Thai) wife did a rack of lamb, with top gravy, baked potatoes, pumpkin etc. Drool!!

(I'm in Sydney, plenty of lamb here: and lamb kidneys on toast!!! for breakfast!!)

I kept sheep in the hills in Wales, re-introducing the Black Welsh Mountain Sheep to Merioneth.

One year, I was very busy with working at the power station, and other things to do with moving from one farm to another, so I just had to keep putting off doing the shearing. But it didn't matter as they sloughed off the old fleece finally.

However, Wales is cooler than Thailand, and I guess sheep wouldn't do as well here. If they would do well, there would have been people keeping them here for centuries, I should think.

Goats seem to do well here.

We kept a couple of nannies for milk for the house. We reared any male offspring till they were the size of small lambs and then had them slaughtered and put the joints in our freezer. Served with mint sauce, all our guests just assumed that they were eating lamb or mutton.

And there seems to be a lot more of the 'odds and sods' that goats will happily browse on, and thrive.

Any sheep breeds, other than very small ones like Soays, need plentiful lush grass , I think.

So I doubt whether it would be economical to raise sheep here, especially as inorganic fertiliser prices are rising with the price of natural gas and oil.

Goats seem to do well here.

We kept a couple of nannies for milk for the house. We reared any male offspring till they were the size of small lambs and then had them slaughtered and put the joints in our freezer. Served with mint sauce, all our guests just assumed that they were eating lamb or mutton.

And there seems to be a lot more of the 'odds and sods' that goats will happily browse on, and thrive.

hi martin, any idea how i might get hold of goat meat - either in chiang mai or delivered here in freezable form?

I don't know. There is a smallholding about half a kilometre from me and they had half a dozen, but I haven't seen them lately. My wife says that nobody here eats goat meat: "Because no Muslim here".

Next time I go down to Khon Kaen University, I will see if I can find anybody in the Faculty of Agriculture who can enlighten me.

just came back from korat, met the people that we had discussed goats with on this forum way back; they are moving to australia and he is selling; he has some good nannies and a lovely buck that will put out good meat -and milk- goats, and several that need some TLC...

they ahve all been vaccinated for brucellosis and CL and jonnes tested if i understood correctly etc w/imported vaccines they have the bottles to prove it, also, ivomac routinely against worms etc... he has given up hope raising goats for meat in korat area as the soeng sang amphur people and korat changwat offices couldnt or didnt want to help them... i saw the goats personally.

they seem honest people who -he, specifically,= dont like dealing with the 'thai way' of dealing with animal rearing.

... he has some wethers - castrated males- that should be tasty, and some whole for those that want hallal/kosher goat...he has an especially beautiful female -cant remember her name- gold coloured with black socks and back stripe and a nice udder, in very good shape that i would buy if i was in thailand permanently ; and a nice solid buck ... all his goats are mixed local and anglo/nubian with one or two boer stock mixes - though he says the boers got sick very quickly.

saw one other sheep/goat farm on the way to korat from soeng sang city, road 24 or 224 , cant be sure... the bus goes past it... saw nubian/local mixes. also saw two milk cows along the bus rout near a nice falang style house... anybody recognize yourselves here...

bina and anon

israel

i told him i would let people that had asked about goats know that he is selling... u can pm me for directions. he is near chomtawan national park/fishing area... i have his address etc.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Goat and sheep do well in Thailand and there is allot of them if u know were to look for

The oldest traders and consumers r for sure thai muslims but the new generation of traders r thai because of money value

The heat and humidity has nothing to do with goat or sheep health ( think about mediteranian ) but the proper feeding and worm controlle has to do a lot and farmers take this not so serious

The best area to find goat and sheep is nakhon pathon (agricultural university in kampeng sean) and saraburi but if u find the trader the meat will be delivered as well most of it is halal , the price life stock depend on male female and body weight ( over 10kg, over 20kg) but normally life stock I sold 60 but slaughtered is 160 , 180 depend on location for delivery is better then at the hotels new zeland lamb about 400 b sheep farming is profitable in Thailand and most of goat farmers after trying sheep change now to sheep farming with farms over 300 heads or even 700 heads

Hi

Goat and sheep do well in Thailand and there is allot of them if u know were to look for

The oldest traders and consumers r for sure thai muslims but the new generation of traders r thai because of money value

The heat and humidity has nothing to do with goat or sheep health ( think about mediteranian ) but the proper feeding and worm controlle has to do a lot and farmers take this not so serious

The best area to find goat and sheep is nakhon pathon (agricultural university in kampeng sean) and saraburi but if u find the trader the meat will be delivered as well most of it is halal , the price life stock depend on male female and body weight ( over 10kg, over 20kg) but normally life stock I sold 60 but slaughtered is 160 , 180 depend on location for delivery is better then at the hotels new zeland lamb about 400 b sheep farming is profitable in Thailand and most of goat farmers after trying sheep change now to sheep farming with farms over 300 heads or even 700 heads

Hi

Do you or any one else reading this know of any barbadoes black belly sheep in Thailand? I had a lead several years ago of a farmer down south that had them, but now that I have a farm and want to buy some I cant find the info. They are a tropical hair sheep with good mothering instincts with triplet and quad births not uncommon. Or if not them how about dorpers? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Roger

I my self I am into the goat cos of the milk but I see a lot of sheep but I haven’t seen any black belly sheep yet but I will ask as for dorpers look at the net or she goat magazine cos there is a lot of info (here still we don’t have a lot of choice) but I wish u good luck in finding what u r looking for

Hi

Do you or any one else reading this know of any barbadoes black belly sheep in Thailand? I had a lead several years ago of a farmer down south that had them, but now that I have a farm and want to buy some I cant find the info. They are a tropical hair sheep with good mothering instincts with triplet and quad births not uncommon. Or if not them how about dorpers? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Roger