Better for Families - Na Jomtien? or Bang Saray?

mglaser

My family is moving to the Pattaya area and are looking for a safe, friendly area for children. We need access to food, shopping, and things to do for little ones. I've been advised that both Na Jomtien and Bang Saray are worth checking out.. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Bang Saray is an actual village (well, small town I suppose) and has shops and restaurants and markets etc. and a noticeable farang population. It also has a beach that gets busy at weekends.

Na Jomtien is just a large administrative area containing several small towns and villages. Most of Na Jomtien doesnt have much in the way of commerce apart from tourist-orientated restaurants and hotels, condos and such-like, and some car dealerships, and a Thai town called Ban Amphoe.

Both areas are close to the new theme parks, water parks and leisure centres, most of which offer heavily discounted yearly tickets.

No matter where you stay the big shops of Sukumvit in Pattaya are about 15-20 minutes drive away (assuming no traffic jams), and I think they are building a shopping centre with a big supermarket near Ban Amphoe.

All of these are visible on Google Street View so have a look at them. https://goo.gl/maps/Zgd3synELNz The pictures are a few years out of date.

I suppose that Bang Saray would be the most attractive for a young family.

I live in Bangsaray and I think its a bit better than Na Jomtien (beacuse its an actual town, Na Jomtien is to me to spread). However for both to own a car is a must. Driving to South Pattaya morning is not a problem, north could be more annoying due to constructions on roads

The poster who mentioned schools is probably right if you have a young family and intend to live there. In the area there are 2 OK international schools, one at St Andrews/Green valley golf course and one in Banglamung. neither are particularly quick to get to from Bang Saray or Na Jomtien but St Andrews does at least have a minibus service that picks up and drops off there. (I have not seen minibuses from Regents but they may go there too). Other than that, any even number soi numbers higher than 6 will give you good access to nice beaches in Na Jomtien and likewise there is good beach access from Bang Saray.

From Bang Saray you can also go south to the Sattahip/Samae San Naval area which is relatively unspoilt (compared to Pattaya).

If you would be driving to Tesco/Lotus or Makro for shopping then Na Jomtien is closer.

To be honest, if you look into both areas and choose the best housing/schools option for you there is really very little difference. Neither has decent public transport so you will be driving either way.

The poster who mentioned schools is probably right if you have a young family and intend to live there. In the area there are 2 OK international schools, one at St Andrews/Green valley golf course and one in Banglamung. neither are particularly quick to get to from Bang Saray or Na Jomtien but St Andrews does at least have a minibus service that picks up and drops off there. (I have not seen minibuses from Regents but they may go there too). Other than that, any even number soi numbers higher than 6 will give you good access to nice beaches in Na Jomtien and likewise there is good beach access from Bang Saray.

From Bang Saray you can also go south to the Sattahip/Samae San Naval area which is relatively unspoilt (compared to Pattaya).

If you would be driving to Tesco/Lotus or Makro for shopping then Na Jomtien is closer.

To be honest, if you look into both areas and choose the best housing/schools option for you there is really very little difference. Neither has decent public transport so you will be driving either way.

You forgot to mention Garden international school in Bang Chang, 20 mins by car or you could make use of one of their minibuses. High standard of education, according to many of the parents.

Some nice beaches in Sattihip, unfortunately some do not allow access to farangs. Afraid that we may steal or copy their up to date hardware.

"No matter where you stay the big shops of Sukumvit in Pattaya are about 15-20 minutes drive away (assuming no traffic jams), and I think they are building a shopping centre with a big supermarket near Ban Amphoe."

Can anyone confirm a new shopping center with a supermarket? Where? biggest problem with the area is the drive to Makro-Tesco-Big C. I left out Foodland, my favorite, because you can get there, you just con't get back going south.

"No matter where you stay the big shops of Sukumvit in Pattaya are about 15-20 minutes drive away (assuming no traffic jams), and I think they are building a shopping centre with a big supermarket near Ban Amphoe."

Can anyone confirm a new shopping center with a supermarket? Where? biggest problem with the area is the drive to Makro-Tesco-Big C. I left out Foodland, my favorite, because you can get there, you just con't get back going south.

They are definitely building something, but AFAIK its Home Pro

So I'm gathering that the consensus is perhaps Bang Saray... We have been looking at St. Andrews so that may be our deciding factor. I've heard some people living in St. Andrews Village as well. I wonder how that area is? Anyone aware?

So I'm gathering that the consensus is perhaps Bang Saray... We have been looking at St. Andrews so that may be our deciding factor. I've heard some people living in St. Andrews Village as well. I wonder how that area is? Anyone aware?

St Andrews village if you like golf, peace and quiet, and a nice environment. Not so good if you want any kind of [social] life other than that provided by a golf club. The best thing is the kids can walk to school, but the counter to that is you have to drive them anywhere they might want to go to play with friends or do activities and you have a long trek for shopping etc. There are golf club housing developments not so isolated like Phoenix or Eastern Star in Ban Chang (Garden International School is there) Ban Chang is the nearest town to St Andrews and has some decent housing near the beach there. If you are a long stayer you can always rent somewhere for 6 months to a year and then look around for somewhere to buy or rent longer term. You will need a car and will need to be able to drive on Thai roads. Possibly two cars if you and your wife have separate interests.

Banglamung and the Maprachan lake area are also quite convenient for St Andrews using the 36 highway. Sattahip is also worth considering.

I think Bang Saray, quieter and more suitable.

Although that may change as it is developing.

That's my big question. Given the trajectory of development, is there a place on the east side to buy a condo that will still feel like a beach resort in, say, 10 years time? (Or on the west side- GOT or Andaman, really)

Of course, the OP has a shorter time window since his kids won't have the same needs in 10 years.