Best way to have debit/credit cards sent to Thailand

I have only been here in Thailand for a few months, but quite a few of my cards are due to be replaced with new ones in the next few months. I'm resident in the US. As you may know, the banks will only send the new card to your usual/permanent address on file so I will have to have a friend send the cards on to me to Thailand. I'm not going to be staying at any one place for more than 2 months at a time in the coming months, I'll be in ChiangMai and Bangkok, and KL later on. Being quite new to Thailand, I have no experience of the postal or mail courier services. I'd like to know the quickest, cheapest and most reliable way for me to get my new cards. The USPS airmail seems the best option from the US, cheap and reliable but will it get slowed down/delayed at the Thailand end?

My specific questions are:

How long does mail take from the US to Bangkok or Chiangmai by air mail?

It would be safer to send it Registered or recorded delivery, wouldn't it?

Is it better to have mail sent to your hotel/apartment or to the local post office as poste restante (general delivery)?

Can you count on poste restante? Is it safe and reliable? Do they keep your mail for a good few weeks?

My main concern is that it would take more than 2 weeks for mail to arrive and that I may not be in Bangkok or Chiangmai to receive it when it comes. My second concern is the risk of the cards getting intercepted or lost. I'm not actually too concerned about that since they have to be activated before use, the PINS will come to me separately and that I will keep little money in those bank accounts until I have the cards safely in my hands.

Would appreciate your answers and insights if you have dealt with this sort of thing before. Many thanks!

Get a small reasonably thin pocket notebook type of book and tape the cards inside the book so they won't fall out. The paper notebook should have a pretty rigid back made of cardboard so it can't be bent and reveal the presence of bank cards inside it.

Then have someone send it by either DHL or FedEx with the contents listed as 'documents' and a customs value of $0.00.

This works, I've done it many times before. It's so small it will fit inside the letter package which each of the above couriers offer.

You can track it and it will arrive in just a few days. This is the only way I've ever done this and I've been doing it for years.

Edited by ukrules

surprised to hear your US banks only sends to address on file. My address on file is still in my country of origin, but I had numerous cards sent to Thailand or one time even Indonesia (to the embassy of my home country) when they expired or, in earlier years, when fraud was suspected (which still happens nowadays after security breaches when data is stolen from huge online shops or similar and ten thousands of cards are being made void for security reason.

I just need to tell them my current address (which in most cases is the place where I live here) and then they will send the card, usually by regular mail only, but not open for use yet. Only when I alert them the card has arrived and the envelope has clearly not been tampered with they will open the card. Never had any problems with that

USPS Express mail, with signature required is how I do it. Takes between 1 and 2 weeks to arrive at my condo in Bangkok.

Make sure your credit card company knows that you are in Thailand and will be for an extended period of time. Failure to do that could result in a purchase being flagged as fraudulent and having your card cancelled. Also, if you plan on making any large purchases, I would also inform the credit card company PRIOR to the purchase of the likely amount, item being purchased and location (Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc), in order to head off the potential flagging of a large purchase as fraudulent.

Thailand is known to be a country where a lot of credit card fraud occurs, so the banks tend to be very proactive in trying to cut it off, much to the detriment of the legitimate user.

This is part of a message sent to me by my UK bank.

"We want to help you keep your new card safe. So once it has been picked up, please don't get it sent to your main residence by post or courier - for the same security reasons we didn't send it this way in the first place. Otherwise you may end up being responsible for any losses incurred."

Best be warned.

From my experience I would NEVER use a regular postal service to Thailand, especially credit cards. I've had documents sent over on numerous occasions and they are ALWAYS opened and a message from the Thai post office stamped on them that says something like, "This package received in this condition". And these were only paper documents, no credit cards. Also when having credit cards sent to Thailand I've had trouble when using FedEx or DHL and telling them it was credit cards; they refused to send them. As one poster mentioned, best bet is to send them in some kind of packaging disguising them so people can't tell it's credit cards, use a well known carrier, and don't tell the carrier what's in the package.

I have done this several times and found it is best to just have them sent to a friend in the states them mailed normal mail to you here. Likelihood of loss or theft is low and activation even lower. You won't be responsible for any theft anyway so just mail'em.

I changed some of my accounts to reflect my Thai address, offshore one for example.

I have had some cards sent out by DHL when urgent, some others have waited for me at a relatives address.

Just did it a few weeks ago. Use United States Postal Service- friend sent to me- used Registered mail- took 7 days- registration number is tracking number which can be followed through the Track and Confirm Website both in the US and in Thailand. Once I had the cards I called the banks customer line and verified my identity and they activated the cards. I am using them now. The contents of the registered mail was listed as 'documents'. Since the envelope is sealed and letter size or slightly larger- no on has ever opened them. The cost of registered mail from USA to Thailand is approx $20.00. You can also use Express Mail at a cost of $60.00 which will get them here in 3-5 days. Or you can use regular airmail- takes 10-14 days at about $2.00 . Best way is to have a tracking number so you can watch its progress on line- hence either Express or Registered mail.

HSBC and Barclaycard send mine in the standard letter packaging they use in the UK and I've never had a problem, of course I have to validate receipt of the card online when it arrives hence shipping is not an issue.

I received a fraud alert e-mail from my bank in Canada. Skyped them and sure enough

there were some online purchases that were not mine. They cancelled my credit card and

had a new one delivered to my door and signed for in 3 business days. Very surprised that

it was as quick as they said it would be. thumbsup.gif

i have had a few sent to me from the states over the years

placed in birthday cards,regular airmail and all have arrived

12-14 days CA to phuket

I always get mine sent from the USA and Europe standard Airmal in a business size envelope. Never had one go missing in 10 years.

becareful all or allmost all of my mail is opened before it comes to my home....,,,,i have complained many times but at my local post office they say it comes from Udon Thani sorting office like this....when i phoned Udon Thani they say my letters leave their Depot un opened.......in the past ive just received ripped enverlops with the mail missing.........this place and system is a joke....Bandits the lot of em.....

A Debit Card is a major problem. The only way to get a new one is go in to your original bank branch. My sister has Power of Attorney for me and was able to get a replacement card and sent it to me via Fed Ex, (takes 2 to 3 days). Try to replace a lost or stolen Debit Card without going in to your bank branch. NO WAY!! I lost one on a year travel tour and could not get it replaced until I returned home. A friend of mine had his wallet stolen with his debit card in it. BIG PROBLEM! I would not trust snail mail for bank cards. My credit cards are sent to my sister's home in Canada, then she sends them to me via Fed Ex.

I just went thru this with 2 credit cards. First was an Amex card. 3 times the company sent it and each time I did not receive it. So the company finally sent it express and then I got it. The 2nd time was a few weeks ago for my debit card. I called them a month before it was to expire and asked them to send it to a friends address as I was about to have a 2 week vacation in Florida and they said they had just mailed it that day. They immediately cancelled it and remained it to my friends. Upon arrival back to Thailand, there it was in my mailbox. I have had a few things mailed here and seldom was receive it. The only way I have been able to get any mail is to have it sent express mail. It seems if I must sign for it I always get it. If sent regular post it is about 3 weeks to arrive and at best a 50/50 chance.

BTW, the bank or credit card company will send your card anywhere you request, not just to the address on file. Call the and tell them you are temp. In Thailand and want it sent here express and they will do it. As long as you know all the passwords and such so you can verify who you are they will do it.

Fed Ex has worked great for me - if you don't have an address that is reliable, then have them ship it to their office in CM and pick it up there... it is a bit expensive but it is fast, secure and reliable...

and it should only take 3 days or so... you can track it.

Edited by kenk24

my experience;

send by traceable ordinary airmail, quick and reliable and cheap

DHL, UPS, FedEx? I have never, never, received anything sent to me by courier. Quite simply never.

Ordinary postal services have never failed me, (talking 30 years experience now).

my experience;

DHL, UPS, FedEx? I have never, never, received anything sent to me by courier. Quite simply never.

Ordinary postal services have never failed me, (talking 30 years experience now).

Well you are very lucky you don't live in Pattaya, I have had numerous letters and even UPS letters stolen over the years. Even my technical publications go missing. Same to Bangkok addresses.

I have my cards delivered to my sister in the UK and she sends them sealed in cardboard now, by UPS or similar.

I say now, because the first time she did it, as she is a very honest and unsuspecting (not exactly gullible, but not used to the wicked ways of the world) person and wrote "Credit Card" in the contents box and of course it never arrived.

None of my banks would ever send cards to Thailand, it is against their written policies.

One week ago, I received my credit card from Canada. I use my sister's address in Canada as my address of record. She sent the card, sandwiched between two thin pieces of cardboard, by Registered Mail.

Canada Post advised that it would take 5 to 7 business days to arrive in Pattaya. It took 6 business days.

my experience;

Fed Ex sent to my house in the countryside - far from any Fed Ex branches, it actually arrived via Kerry - but fast and accurate.

my experience;

Everyone's experience seems different. I have only been here 2 years and have only received about 25% of the US mail sent regular post. I have received 100% of all mail sent DHL or UPS or FEDEX.. the regular mail I did get took 2 to 6 weeks to arrive. I think I will stick with the 3 day Express mail.

Thanks very much ukrules. Come to think of it, Fedex and DHL would definitely be a far more reliable option. Appreciate the customs tip. Thanks!

My US bank sends the cards to me via FedEx at no charge, just go my new ones last week. I called them Thursday and they were here Tuesday--sent Phoenix to Hatyai

A few years ago I had a debit card sent to me by registered mail that didn't arrive. It disappeared in Bangkok. When I filled out the complaint form at the post office, I wrote "0" for the value of the goods. When I got a reply 2 weeks later they had written, "Package was lost between so-and-so and Rong Muang. Customer did not ask for compensation." So, be warned, "value of package" is actually your claim for compensation.

The banks you are using are pretty liberal. I remember USAA having int'l mailing capability with only $15 fedex fee which was fantastic. Bank of America is much less forgiving. Will only mail correspondence to usa address... So will need someone or company to forward mail to thailand. Here's the kicker, BoA wants their debit card activated at their branch or ATM locally before first use. You can call to get an exception activation, but that is an exception.

Anyway, you can use regular airmail to save on postage. But of you want to guarantee you will receive it and quickly, use fedex, ups, dhl, or USPS Intl Express (EMS). Using a documents envelope, it shouldnt take more than 4 days.

I would type the address label or print it from computer. If you can squeeze the thai script of the address on there, i would also recommend it. Make sure to include 1 or 2 phone numbers where you can be reached.