PayPal: Does it work in Thailand? Anything different from Canada?

The only difference I'm aware of is you cannot put funds into your paypal account from your thai bank account, well I can't, it says this service is not available in thailand

There are differences. The big one is that you cannot top up your account with a transfer from your bank. The only way it can be topped up is by somebody paying a payment request sent to them.

You can make payments by using a credit or debit card.

we have one , based in thailand and Thai bank account

it is with an ebay account ,

One thing is there is no Ebay debit card like in the USA ,

so you can transfer the money to your Thai bank account or use the money to buy stuff from places that take Paypal,

and some will not take a non USA - Canada Paypal

And Paypal is based in Singapore

I did not start my PayPal account from Thailand, I started it from the UK with a linked UK credit card. Last year the card expired and I got a new one but when I went to change the details on PayPal I had a problem in that it would no longer allow withdrawals to this card. Withdrawals were only allowed to a Thai bank or an US bank. It took a lot of effort and many attempts to get my Thai bank account validated and now I can take cash from Paypal to my Thai bank account but only in Baht at PayPal's x rate. Using PayPal overseas has seemed more difficult as well.

My experience, PayPal is far from an international service.

There are differences. The big one is that you cannot top up your account with a transfer from your bank. The only way it can be topped up is by somebody paying a payment request sent to them.

I have not found this but I have not topped up recently.

I linked my Thai account to my PayPal... it did take a few attempts for the validation to go through and I thought it didn't go through then a couple of weeks later all was connected.

I haven't tried to top up or buy things on my Thai account through PayPal but often transfer from PP to my Thai account.

Someone told me that it's easier to connect a Bangkok Bank account to PayPal... I linked a SCB account.

I got money paid to my PP account from Poland---but on the senders request they paid it in Baht not Polish Zloty's , (it still sits there) so you feel I could credit my PP from my Oz accounts asking for it to be in Baht ubonjoe ?? it would be useful at times internet buying etc

The only difference I'm aware of is you cannot put funds into your paypal account from your thai bank account, well I can't, it says this service is not available in thailand

I have had a Paypal account in Thailand for at least 5 years.

It is linked to my Kasikorn bank account.

I used the Kasikorn Virtual Visa Card to verify the Paypal account and if I don't have sufficient funds in my account then cash just goes from my bank account (via the virtual visa card).

I have withdrawn cash a few times from Paypal into my Kasikorn Account, it takes about 10 days, but works perfectly fine.

Perhaps it isn't available for all Thai banks, but it definitely is with KBank.

Sorry to be pedantic Joe, but isn't withdrawal of cash from your bank account to your paypal account via your thai bank debit card, the same thing as topping up from your bank?

I did not start my PayPal account from Thailand, I started it from the UK with a linked UK credit card. Last year the card expired and I got a new one but when I went to change the details on PayPal I had a problem in that it would no longer allow withdrawals to this card. Withdrawals were only allowed to a Thai bank or an US bank. It took a lot of effort and many attempts to get my Thai bank account validated and now I can take cash from Paypal to my Thai bank account but only in Baht at PayPal's x rate. Using PayPal overseas has seemed more difficult as well.

My experience, PayPal is far from an international service.

That is one thing that bugs me about Paypal. They insist on determining where you are and only allowing you to setup accounts for that location. So you can't, for example, be on holiday in Thailand and setup a UK paypal account.

However, once you have the accounts created in different countries, for each of your global banking locations, then you can at least access them and manage the accounts.

It should also be noted that Paypal only allows you to have one personal account and one business account, although they say you can link multiple bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards and email addresses. However, because they don't think about international citizens, they don't allow for people who's bank accounts etc are not all based in the same country. So a Paypal account created in the UK will only let you add UK bank accounts etc.

For this reason I now have 4 paypal accounts, each created in a different country where I have banking facilities.

I used to be really careful about never accessing them from the same IP, so that PayPal wouldn't figure out that all 4 accounts are mine, but these day I don't worry about it as I've never had an issue.

There are a lot more things about PayPal that are frustrating, but most things can be worked around.

PayPal is regionalised. I set up my account using my Australian address. When I tried to use PayPal it insisted on sending a code to my mobile. I had entered my Thai mobile, but the PayPal program assumed I was in Australia and used an Australian prefix. There was no way to fix this. When I got onto PayPal I was told that they would delete my account and I had to establish a new account using my Thai address. The first time I tried to use it everything was in Thai with no obvious way to change to an English interface.

Anyway, I think it is all sorted now.

"The big one is that you cannot top up your account with a transfer from your bank."

I assume you mean from your Thai bank? My PayPal account is connected to both my US bank account and two US credit cards.

I've got PayPal accounts in both the USA and Thailand. It was simple enough to open by Paypal in Thailand using one of my Thai bank accounts.

But I ran into a strange problem when experimenting with using the two accounts to transfer money from the USA to Thailand. Everything went fine transferring from my American bank to my American PayPal account and transferring between PayPal accounts.

But they couldn't get the money from the Thai Paypal account to Kasikorn bank. I had to wait 10 days before they would do a trace. Then they kept on saying that they were waiting for Kasikorn to to reply to them That went on for a week or 2 until I persuaded them to just refund my money and forget the whole thing.