Foreign juice vendors inspected in Bangkok swoop

webfact

Yes people don't realize that most milk they buy in Thailand is powdered mix and probably the same for orange juice. Thai FDA that is a true oxymoron right up there with "Mexican border".

Hmmmm would you mind elaborating please? I consider myself to be almost in the category of a 'Connoisseur' when it comes to Cow's Juice. I drink an average of 2 Litres per day. Love the stuff. Have done so all my life. I drink it plain too, with only the occasional chocolate or coffee flavoured variety when I get the urge. Fresh milk here such a Meiji is as good as any produced in Australia IMHO. I know powdered milk when I drink it! I was a seagoing sailor for many years in this part of the world during the 70s & 80s. I was actually at sea when UHT Milk was 'invented' and unleased on the public. We found that almost as bad as powdered milk. The first thing I would do when we hit our first port in Australia on our way home from the far east would be to jump off the ship and go get some fresh milk.

So, if you would, please, give me a 'heads up' as to which brands you reckon are fake.

As for the OJ. Why does it seem that the poorer immigrants from the less well off countries around them are taking over the business. Possbily, like other menial jobs in the Kingdom. As the Thais have become a more affluent society, they don't want to do these jobs themselves any more.

I am always wary when the OJ vendor asks if I want 'pulp' with that? smile.png

Since Thailand is now a part of ASEAN isn't one of the conditions that there is freedom for nationals from ASEAN countries to work in other countries? If so how can you have jobs reserved for locals only? It seems to be against the fundamental spirit of ASEAN

If you want real, natural, 100% safe juice, eat or juice the fruit yourself.

Also many vendors don't wash their hands, nor wear plastic gloves, nor hair nets.

We don't even know if they wash the poison farmers spray on the fruit off?

Nor do we know the water source for washing, nor mixing.

Another problem is the juice under glass with the sunshine being magnified onto the plastic bottles which can be toxic when it reaches a certain temperature.

We also don't know the age and condition of the fruit before juicing.

What about Tipco? When it says 100% on carton, 100% what? Anyone know?

Does anyone really believe that ie orange, there is no way the carton has 100% orange juice?

100% carton perhaps ???

A lot of emphasis on foreign juice vendors, but nary a word on checking Thai vendors. Thais wouldn't sell fake juice, right?

The FDA spokesman says for customers to check the label on the bottle. What label? The bottles of orange juice I have seen being sold have no labels.

"nary a word on checking Thai vendors" --

Our daughter-in-Law had a visit from the authorities today, and samples of the orange juice were taken for testing.

Dr Phaisal Dunkum recommended that the public should observe the label on the bottle before purchasing bottled juices.

Yup and they ALWAYS have a label on the bottle, it's right next the pricesticker.blink.png blink.png blink.png

Usual propaganda to stir up hate against foreigners from the institutions, while at the same time reassuring locals that's it's okay to blame the aliens for anything you like, as they will be 1000% behind your back.

This will work out very nicely to distract the people having any kind of problems, giving them a made up reason that can fit almost anywhere, while at the same time protecting what really caused the problems to materialize.

Only a few will realize the truth, and that's when you usually see some demonstration which is not directed against the "evil foreigners".....

The first thing I would do when we hit our first port in Australia on our way home from the far east would be to jump off the ship and go get some fresh milk.

A lot of people do similarly when arriving in Thailand.

"Milk" ("nom") in Thai translates colloquially to "breast" biggrin.png.

Not quite. "NOM" is indeed breast/bosom, but milk is (in full) "NAM NOM" - literally breast water/juice/liquid. Oh, and there's nothing colloquial here.

This innovative guy have probably already received job offers from the food industry. I guess the declaration on this "Product" with the usual terms used will be similar to mush of the industrial food and beverage you will find in most supermarkets.

Not quite. "NOM" is indeed breast/bosom, but milk is (in full) "NAM NOM" - literally breast water/juice/liquid. Oh, and there's nothing colloquial here.

Thai people do call milk "nom" though. Maybe that is what is colloquial.

Just to check, I entered "milk" into Google Translate and it did show the Thai script for "nom", not "nam nom".

Just to check, I entered "milk" into Google Translate and it did show the Thai script for "nom", not "nam nom".

When you can actually read and speak Thai and don't have to rely upon Google Translate, please post again.

When you can actually read and speak Thai and don't have to rely upon Google Translate, please post again.

But I'm not really wrong am I?

From thai-language.com:

post-45505-0-60588700-1464344467_thumb.p

From thai-language.com:

attachicon.gifnohm.png

I did suggest you first learn to read and speak Thai before replying. How about a proper dictionary definition of NOM, from the Royal Institute Dictionary?

น. ส่วนของร่างกาย อยู่บริเวณหน้าอก มี ๒ เต้า, ของผู้หญิงมีต่อม

สำหรับผลิตน้ำนมเป็นอาหารสำหรับลูกอ่อน ส่วนของผู้ชายมีขนาด

เล็กและไม่มีน้ำนม, นมของสัตว์บางชนิด เช่น ลิง ค่าง ก็มี ๒ เต้า

เช่นเดียวกับคน ส่วนของสัตว์บางชนิด เช่น สุนัข วัว ควาย มีหลาย

เต้าเรียงอยู่ที่ท้องเป็น ๒ แถว; แม่นม, ราชาศัพท์ว่า พระนม; น้ำนม

เช่น เลี้ยงลูกด้วยนม; ชื่อสิ่งที่เป็นเต้าเป็นปุ่มคล้ายนม เช่น นมทอง

หลาง นมจะเข้; เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะเป็นปุยขาวห่อหุ้มต้นผักกระเฉด

ว่า นมผักกระเฉด,เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะเป็นปุยขาวห้อยติดอยู่ตามข้อ

พังพวยว่า นมพังพวย.

From thai-language.com:

attachicon.gifnohm.png

I did suggest you first learn to read and speak Thai before replying. How about a proper dictionary definition of NOM, from the Royal Institute Dictionary?

น. ส่วนของร่างกาย อยู่บริเวณหน้าอก มี ๒ เต้า, ของผู้หญิงมีต่อม

สำหรับผลิตน้ำนมเป็นอาหารสำหรับลูกอ่อน ส่วนของผู้ชายมีขนาด

เล็กและไม่มีน้ำนม, นมของสัตว์บางชนิด เช่น ลิง ค่าง ก็มี ๒ เต้า

เช่นเดียวกับคน ส่วนของสัตว์บางชนิด เช่น สุนัข วัว ควาย มีหลาย

เต้าเรียงอยู่ที่ท้องเป็น ๒ แถว; แม่นม, ราชาศัพท์ว่า พระนม; น้ำนม

เช่น เลี้ยงลูกด้วยนม; ชื่อสิ่งที่เป็นเต้าเป็นปุ่มคล้ายนม เช่น นมทอง

หลาง นมจะเข้; เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะเป็นปุยขาวห่อหุ้มต้นผักกระเฉด

ว่า นมผักกระเฉด,เรียกสิ่งที่มีลักษณะเป็นปุยขาวห้อยติดอยู่ตามข้อ

พังพวยว่า นมพังพวย.

Ajarn Oxx, not everything taught in Thai school, much of which is the formal form, is used exactly the same way in real everyday life in Thailand. Everyone around me just says "nom" when referring to milk.

I can't believe you are still at it. Guys, look, to restore the peace on this forum we can make a deal here, every time you are unsure if you are dealing with "milk" or "tits" , just let me know and i will come to do an inspection for you, okay??? laugh.png

Ajarn Oxx, not everything taught in Thai school, much of which is the formal form, is used exactly the same way in real everyday life in Thailand. Everyone around me just says "nom" when referring to milk.

Oh, so suddenly you're an expert on spoken Thai. Congratulations. However, perhaps you'd care to explain why you needed to use Google Translate to understand the meaning of the word if "everyone around you" is using it to mean milk.

For the third time, how about "when you can actually read and speak Thai and don't have to rely upon Google Translate, please post again".