Baby vaccine confusion

Suhastar

My baby is 5 months old and since he came to Thailand one month ago, his first three months vaccine was done in our country. He got the WHO recommended Pentavalent vaccine which covers, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hep b and HiB. That's what we knew and he got all of these in a government facility. Now that we have come to Thailand, the doctor is saying he should get hep b as pentavalent doesn't cover it. I am very very confused.. What to do? And what have you done with your babies vaccine here.. Thanks in advance!

I have on several occasions been given advice by a doctor that I as a layperson strongly suspected to be wrong....further investigation has shown the doctor to be completely incorrect.

As I understand it Hep b is one of the illnesses the pentavalent vaccination is meant to cover. so you DEFINITELY need to check this out.......it is difficult for a patient to totally reject the advice of a doctor as everything we learn back home contradicts this.....but this is Thailand - home of poor training, corruption and lack of accountability.

Get a second opinion!

Exactly!! In fact one of my acquaintances ( also a foreigner) gave his baby JE . When he asked why he needed to give this as it's actually applicable to residents of Japan or may be in the rural areas around the pig farms of Thailand he was told that it's necessary and not to regret if something happens to his child because he chose not to give it. So he gave in.

Exactly!! In fact one of my acquaintances ( also a foreigner) gave his baby JE . When he asked why he needed to give this as it's actually applicable to residents of Japan or may be in the rural areas around the pig farms of Thailand he was told that it's necessary and not to regret if something happens to his child because he chose not to give it. So he gave in.

Japanese encephalitis is a type of viral brain infection that's spread through mosquito bites. It's most common in rural areas throughout South East Asia, the Pacific islands and the Far East, but is very rare in travellers.

The virus is found in pigs and birds, and is passed to mosquitoes when they bite infected animals. It's more common in rural areas where there are pig farms and rice fields. It can't be spread from person to person.

There's currently no cure for Japanese encephalitis. Treatment involves supporting the functions of the body as it tries to fight off the infection. This usually requires the person being admitted to hospital, so they can be given fluids, oxygen and medication to treat any symptoms.

I'd say if you live in rural areas it's well worth having JE jab,personally.

It's certainly is not only for Japanese people and is/can be a problem in ?Thailand.

Edited by NongMalee

Oh! Well both of our families live in Bangkok. Not in rural area. But if this is a common threat in Thailand Do you think I should give JE to my baby?

No but you should certainly be aware of the fact that living in certain areas of Thailand means that circumstances may be different for people and what is relevant for those living in Bangkok may not be relevant to others living in rural Thailand.

The Pentavalent vaccine definitely includes Hep B, but a total of three doses 4-8 weeks apart are necessary. The single dose the baby received back home will not adequately protect against Hep B or the other 4 disease. 2 more doses, either of the pentavlent vaccine or separaetely of DPT, Hep B, polio and HiB are needed.

The simplest thing would be to get the pentavalent formulation which is available in Thailand under brand name Quinvaxem. You may have to call around to find a hospital which carries it, though, and likely to be the higher end ones. Otherwise, get the separate vaccines.

Regarding Japanese B, need to consider the likelihood of the child at some point traveling to a rural area. Basically for anyone living long-term in Thailand - as opposed to tourists with specific routes - it is best to get it. The disease can cause permanent brain damage or death and has not cure, and it is endemic in rural Thailand (and hyper-endemic in neighboring countries e.g. Cambodia).

The Pentavalent vaccine definitely includes Hep B, but a total of three doses 4-8 weeks apart are necessary. The single dose the baby received back home will not adequately protect against Hep B or the other 4 disease. 2 more doses, either of the pentavlent vaccine or separaetely of DPT, Hep B, polio and HiB are needed.

The simplest thing would be to get the pentavalent formulation which is available in Thailand under brand name Quinvaxem. You may have to call around to find a hospital which carries it, though, and likely to be the higher end ones. Otherwise, get the separate vaccines.

Regarding Japanese B, need to consider the likelihood of the child at some point traveling to a rural area. Basically for anyone living long-term in Thailand - as opposed to tourists with specific routes - it is best to get it. The disease can cause permanent brain damage or death and has not cure, and it is endemic in rural Thailand (and hyper-endemic in neighboring countries e.g. Cambodia).

My baby got all three of his pentavalent, opvs and rota virus vaccines already. Thank you for info!

So you have already had all THREE of the pentavalent shots?...and then ........."the doctor is saying he should get hep b as pentavalent doesn't cover it."?

Edited by cumgranosalum

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to get back to you all about this subject. So I have changed my pediatrician (she speaks English) and apparently in Thailand pentavalent doesn't include Hep B. But she said since I gave those in my country I don't need to give it separately . [emoji1]

I've heard about the pentavalent not containing the hep component...BUT penta means FIVE - so I wonder what's going on.

There have been some serious misinformation stories and myths about this vaccine in Asia - in particular the Philippines and India. I would have serious questions to ask why this vaccine is different in Thailand - is a there a good scientific reason or are we encountering a not unfamiliar unscientific approach by some doctors here?

I've heard about the pentavalent not containing the hep component...BUT penta means FIVE - so I wonder what's going on.

There have been some serious misinformation stories and myths about this vaccine in Asia - in particular the Philippines and India. I would have serious questions to ask why this vaccine is different in Thailand - is a there a good scientific reason or are we encountering a not unfamiliar unscientific approach by some doctors here?

it could also have something to do with where Thailand sources its Hep B vaccines....apparently independently? so they might be preserving a local supplier's market?

As I have siad, it does contain Hep B.

There is no special pentavalent vaccine manufactured just for Thailand. The pentavalent vaccine in use here is Quanvaxem, made by Novartis and imported. it contains Hep B.

From the Thai MIMS:

Contents Per 0.5 mL dose Purified diphtheria toxoid not <7.5 Lf (not <30 IU), purified tetanus toxoid not <3.25 Lf (not <60 IU), inactivated Bordetella pertussis not <15 OU (not less than 4 IU), purified HBsAg 10 mcg, Hib oligosaccharide 10 mcg conjugated to approx 25 mcg of CRM 197

• 4 weeks later...

Let me jump into this confusion!

Most of the pentavalent vaccine use in North America, Europe, Australia would be either Pentaxim or Infanrix IPV HIB

Which consist of DTaP IPV HIB so no hep B, unless they use Infanrix Hexa or Hexaxim ( DTaP IPV HIB HepatitisB) (note Hepatitis Bee)

Pentavalent in Thailand refer to :

Pentaxim

Infanrix 5( IPV Hib)

And

Quinaxem which consists of DTwP HIB Hep b!No IPV on it so you need IPV separately.

Don't know if this help,

Best is to look what brand of pentavalent it was.

Edited by PMNL

Let me jump into this confusion!

Most of the pentavalent vaccine use in North America, Europe, Australia would be either Pentaxim or Infanrix IPV HIB

Which consist of DTaP IPV HIB so no hep B, unless they use Infanrix Hexa or Hexaxim ( DTaP IPV HIB HepatitisB) (note Hepatitis Bee)

Pentavalent in Thailand refer to :

Pentaxim

Infanrix 5( IPV Hib)

And

Quinaxem which consists of DTwP HIB Hep b!No IPV on it so you need IPV separately.

Don't know if this help,

Best is to look what brand of pentavalent it was.

So how come 2 doctors are unaware of this?.... or at least incapable of communicating the differences?

Edited by cumgranosalum

• 1 month later...

Sorry, if this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Thai Goverment Vaccine Program uses DTaP or DTP?

DTaP is the newer and safer version, right?

And does anyone know where to find the official schedule online (in Thai to show my wife)?

Thanks

Edited by FruitPudding
Spelling