Critically ill British judo star Stephanie Inglis flown to Bangkok for treatment

webfact

As I said yesterday she wasn't covered because she had an annual policy that provided cover for multiple trips of up to 31 days each, she had been away for over four months when she had her accident.

Not in the small print it's clearly laid out on their website.

This policy doesn't exclude riding on a motorcycle.

But I have also seen travel insurances that do exclude riding a bike even as a passenger.

But in this case the as pointed out she breached the terms of her annual travel policy, thou I seem to recall many offering up to 3 months in any one trip, suppose it is really down to if the insurance is cheap it will not cover much.

What I would like travel insurance companies to do is offer legal support in suing those responsible whether they are fully coving or not because:

1. they maybe able to get compensation for their clients without digging in their own pockets.

2. maybe able to get more for their clients than their own policy pays.

3. where the client is not covered at least they may be able to secure treatment costs and compensation.

This could be down to lawyers based in many countries around the world taking on winnable cases where their costs will be included in the settlement.

She apparently had travel insurance but they won't pay, possibly an issue or motorsi ride to school. Even though they are accepted form of transportation in SE Asia many insurance co restrict payment for injuries that are due to riding one.

yes. I believe that if one were a US citizen and had a travel policy that did insure for motorcycles, one would still have to have selected the extra insurance rider which costs a bit more. And even if one did that, if the person did NOT have a valid motorcycle driver license from their home country, they would have been considered driving illegally. So if you are renting a motorbike, you expats probably should be sure you have the valid type of driver license.

Judo star injured in motorbike crash battles pneumonia

Stephanie Inglis, from Inverness, suffered serious head injuries in the crash in Vietnam.

The 27-year-old's Debenhams medical insurance was deemed invalid because of a clause in the fine print of her contract.

Full story: http://stv.tv/news/highlands-islands/1355135-judo-star-injured-in-motorbike-crash-battles-pneumonia/

and what was the clause ?...riding a motor cycle without a proper license ?

If one drove a car in the UK without a proper license and one had an accident...wouldn't the insurance claim be deemed invalid as well ?

the nhs would treat u

Great news!

Now, with progress being made on a daily basis and Ms Inglis, from Daviot, being able to open both eyes, efforts are being directed towards bringing her home as soon as possible.

“Assuming the results from the MRI are positive, then we’ll be making arrangements to bring her home as soon as we can,” said Tracy Gehlan, who with her husband Azhar has handled Ms Inglis’s repatriation. “We’re hoping to have her back here early next week."

Link:- http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Inverness-judo-star-Stephanie-Inglis-could-return-home-next-week-10062016.htm

post-221427-14656444423624_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wilsonandson

I have read the fine print in some travel insurance policies. Doubt they would actually provide any useful cover for anyone who deviates from the pure package tour programme. One said "any traning for any competitive sports event" was not covered.

So you go jogging (because maybe you'll be in Scunthorpe councils' Boxing Day 5k) and get hit by a car.

Not covered. Forget riding a motorbike in VN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by arunsakda

Update

Judo star Stephanie Inglis speaks her first word after being flown home from freak Vietnam motorbike accident

Stephanie, 27, who suffered severe head injuries in a horrific motorcycle accident in Vietnam, said:”Hi” from her hospital bed, surrounded by her family at Edinburgh’s Western General Hospital.

MIRACLE Scots Judo star Stephanie Inglis has spoken her first word and smiled after arriving back in Scotland from the Far East and is now breathing without assistance, her family has said.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/judo-star-stephanie-inglis-speaks-8204847#lScJy5vmO3xP4dtG.97

Wonderful news. Let's hope she makes a full recovery.

post-221427-14661738273326_thumb.jpg