CitiBank ROP Preferred Card or next best: Will pay 10,000 bath for assistance to acquire

Hi all,

I'm a Thai Airways Royal orchid gold card member (50,000+ miles with Thai Airways a year), and I'm looking for ways to rack up air miles using a good credit card. I live mostly in the Philippines, but I visit Thailand 4-6 times a year. I'm looking for someone to help me legally open an account at Citibank and acquire this credit card: https://www.citibank.co.th/en/credit-cards/credit-card-rop-preferred.htm

Failing that particular card, I will choose whoever gives the best offer for frequent Thai Airways travellers, like Aeon, Amex Platinum, Krungsri etc.

- I don't require any bank credit or insurance that might come with the card, I only want the airline-related benefits that I don't already have as an ROP gold member
- I have an address in Thailand I can use for correspondence (my regular condotel), and one in Norway
- I can deposit 100,000 bath cash at account opening
- I'm a managing director for a Hong Kong offshore company, and I earn around 2 million bath/year from that, and I'm looking to spend 1 million bath+ a year using this card

Any help welcome.

you got a work permit for Thailand ?

One assumes the company registration refers to a Thai company

post-258480-0-85384000-1464261599_thumb.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/credit-cards/credit-card-rop-preferred.htm

The fact you are not a Thai "resident" will be problematic getting any unsecured credit card

you would be better going to see Citibank in BKK and open an account yourself and see if you will issue a secured CC as your not resident

you got a work permit for Thailand ?

One assumes the company registration refers to a Thai company

I don't have a Thai work permit, that's why I want an intermediary/assistant to help me, either working for the bank or an independent. If I had a work permit, I'd just go to the bank and do it myself. The thing about getting a credit card or an account in Thailand is, it's basically up to the bank to decide. They have some demands, but they're not legal requirements, they accept or deny people at their discretion. And if you bring a trusted person to vouch for you, the bank is a lot more likely to accept you if you don't fulfil all their regular requirements.

There's nothing illegal or shady about it – it's very common around the world, and it's the way I opened my bank account at HSBC in Hong Kong. You can't just go into the offices at HSBC and get an account and a credit card, you need someone to vouch for you. And since my accountant is a trusted person there, they let me open the account. So I'm looking for an intermediary to vet me and vouch for me as an account holder, and for that service I'll pay 10,000 bath.

I'm expecting a person trusted by banks whose job it is to vet people to do their job and vet me. My accountant was a complete stranger to me a few hours before he vouched for me at HSBC, and ten years after, that's worked out great for everyone involved.

This is an expensive credit card at 10,000 bath/year, which I will pay the premiums for. The bank will earn top money by having me as their client while taking no risks, because I don't require any credit. And of course I'll be available for any reasonable measure the bank or assistant/intermediary might find necessary to qualify me.

Of course they're not going to vouch for Robusto the Thai Visa member, but I have a ten year relationship with my Hong Kong bank and accounting firm as a managing director and a 25 year relationship with my home country bank that can be verified before I open the account and apply for the card.

I'm expecting a person trusted by banks whose job it is to vet people to do their job and vet me. My accountant was a complete stranger to me a few hours before he vouched for me at HSBC, and ten years after, that's worked out great for everyone involved.

This is an expensive credit card at 10,000 bath/year, which I will pay the premiums for. The bank will earn top money by having me as their client while taking no risks, because I don't require any credit. And of course I'll be available for any reasonable measure the bank or assistant/intermediary might find necessary to qualify me.

Well you will not find a person on here who vets people for credit cards with a bank on TV, it will be a Thai national not a Farang

Further if you don't need credit how will the bank make "top money" out of you, Even spending Thb 1.0 million in Thailand as you indicated is not even close to top money, and THB 100k deposit not very much...

if your the higher flyer you believe you are go and open a Citigold or Citigold Private account and you will get anything you want without a reference/work permit etc

I don't know what deposits are in Thailand are for these accounts but in Singapore its USD 150k for the Citigold, and USD 1.0 million for Citigold Private

Of course they're not going to vouch for Robusto the Thai Visa member, but I have a ten year relationship with my Hong Kong bank and accounting firm as a managing director and a 25 year relationship with my home country bank that can be verified before I open the account and apply for the card.

And ?....go to Citibank BKK, "you have WP sir ?, "You have company registration for Thai company ?"......Cannot for unsecured credit card

Well you will not find a person on here who vets people for credit cards with a bank on TV, it will be a Thai national not a Farang

Further if you don't need credit how will the bank make "top money" out of you, Even spending Thb 1.0 million in Thailand as you indicated is not even close to top money, and THB 100k deposit not very much...

if your the higher flyer you believe you are go and open a Citigold or Citigold Private account and you will get anything you want without a reference/work permit etc

I don't know what deposits are in Thailand are for these accounts but in Singapore its USD 150k for the Citigold, and USD 1.0 million for Citigold Private

City bank Bangkok equivalent 100k USD for gold.

Need WP.

Bye bye, robusto.

I'm asking for a completely legal and ethically sound service. I'm sure some particularly salty people will find a reason to hate on it, though.

You have had the advice...and you will find no one on TV who can do what your looking for.

As suggested go and open a Citigold or Citigold Private account with Citi in BKK and sure they will assist you with your every requirement without references or a WP

Edit per the post above seems you need a WP as well for the Citigold account in BKK

So you are the managing director of an accounting firm in Hong Kong? You must have some kind of network, or know at least someone who can pull some strings?

I'm a managing director of an offshore technology company based in Hong Kong, the accountant part is I pay for a Hong Kong firm to take care of accounting, virtual office, stuff like that.

Can a person on a marriage extension apply for citi gold?

Some else suggested up need a WP for Thailand + USD 100k....never been involved with Citi in BKK, I bank with them in Singapore and all you needed in addition to the cash was your passport when I opened an account with them

I'd def recommend going for Citi gold. Drop 3mln in to qualify. You don't even need to leave it in there the entire time.

OB

correct me if I am wrong, but if your amount on account drops below the USD 100k as indicated for Thailand, they will charge you a monthly fee on the account as you need to maintain the balance at USD 100k for free banking...

Can a person on a marriage extension apply for citi gold?

Some else suggested up need a WP for Thailand + USD 100k....never been involved with Citi in BKK, I bank with them in Singapore and all you needed in addition to the cash was your passport when I opened an account with them

Just opened one 2 weeks ago at Citybank Asok. If I remember well the 100k USD needs to be on your account for 6 months. As being a Citygold member I could open an account in Hong Kong as well. No WP needed so I guess it's similar to Singapore? Maybe a small correction, when I opened my account at Citybank Bangkok I had my WP with me so I am not 100% sure if it is required but they took copy of mine. The 100k USD equivalent can be the total of USD and THB account. To answer the question of the OP, I would be surprised if somebody wants to help you, I probably would hesitate even if a friend would ask me but then again my friends wouldn't ask.

I'd def recommend going for Citi gold. Drop 3mln in to qualify. You don't even need to leave it in there the entire time.

OB

correct me if I am wrong, but if your amount on account drops below the USD 100k as indicated for Thailand, they will charge you a monthly fee on the account as you need to maintain the balance at USD 100k for free banking...

Correct. THB 100 pm below 100k

OB

I'm a Thai Airways Royal orchid gold card member (50,000+ miles with Thai Airways a year),

You're willing to pay someone to help you get better deals on 50,000 miles a year with Thai Airways?

Sounds like you've lost the plot.

If it's all that legal and ethical, why do you need to solicit the service from complete strangers on an Internet forum?

I'm asking for a completely legal and ethically sound service.

You're willing to pay someone to help you get better deals on 50,000 miles a year with Thai Airways?

Sounds like you've lost the plot.

If it's all that legal and ethical, why do you need to solicit the service from complete strangers on an Internet forum?

Not sure if we understand eachother here. I'm an ROP gold member, which means you fly 50K miles a year, unless you're on some fast track. It also means it's really nice to have a credit card you earn air miles with, because for example, if you use it for 1 million bath a year, it means you get around 100K extra air miles, which means a return ticket to Europe a year on business or first class. If I only use the miles I earn flying, then I'll only get a coach bonus ticket, plus I'll need to fly Thai Airways to get it.

Why wouldn't I use TV for this? It's free, and chances are if anyone can do it, someone knows someone.

Archived