Thai man releases video about living off the grid in America’s snowy mountains

Thisguy is late tothe party, off griders around Taos, New Mexico for years around 8,000ft there. They used a system of filling old truck and car tires with dirt to build what they called earthships.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, once a Thai, always a Thai (nose-picking segment at 2:37)

Once a Thai basher, always a Thai basher? Takes one with a negative attitude to pick up that small bit and comment on it, has no relevance at all to the topic.

Agreed but it also shows a non-professional approach when those portions of the video are not edited out.

Often, the positives in all kinds of situations are not mentioned when they should be. Although, in this case, I think 'JLCrab' has a point. I was a little shocked and repulsed when seeing this part of the video. The video was shot in the USA, not in Thailand, and has subtitles in English and appears to target a Western culture audience. If he wants to elicit the most positive response from viewers, he might liked to have reconsidered that audacious nose-picking in public is a huge turn-off in many cultures.

If you have ever lived in the american west you will realize nose picking is common, when the air is dry it does create problems. Even with snow around the air becomes very dry because of thecold.

Thinking they might have mistaken kpH for mph. Couple years ago somebody I talked to lost part of there roof to katabatic winds on the front range somewhere, that were estimated 80-110mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave me a hearty belly-laugh.

In addition to sharing a great project on self-sufficiency, Jon provided a lighthearted tone throughout the presentation--the nose-picking, wine in bed, reading Dr. Seuss books, skiing on a 2-ft. square patch of snow, laying on the roof hanging his legs over the eaves, shirtless in weather that is compatible with snow patches everywhere, etc.

Anyone who doesn't see the quirky-lighthearted humor, and can only pick things apart, needs an attitude adjustment. Where's the Generalissimo when 'ya need 'im?

Edited by Fookhaht

....always pretending they are the only ones.....tiring....

...has anyone investigated the alleged scaling of Mount Everest......

What a disgusting post.

If you had taken the time to read his website, you would see that he and his group give ample credit to the generations of earthship builders over the centuries.

You can take your cynicism to another thread for your baseless, mindless Thai-bashing.

Edited by Fookhaht

In addition to sharing a great project on self-sufficiency, Jon provided a lighthearted tone throughout the presentation--the nose-picking, wine in bed, reading Dr. Seuss books, skiing on a 2-ft. square patch of snow, laying on the roof hanging his legs over the eaves, shirtless in weather that is compatible with snow patches everywhere, etc.

Anyone who doesn't see the quirky-lighthearted humor, and can only pick things apart, needs an attitude adjustment. Where's the Generalissimo when 'ya need 'im?

I don't find watching someone pick their nose light hearted humor.

I used stay with friends on a fourth generation cattle ranch in the North Park basin near Walden, CO. As long as you liked beef steak, there was never a problem for food. The Michigan River ran through the property so there was also trout if you were so inclined.

I suspect that an area that is under snow seven months a year isn't very good for raising cattle. Of course the snow claim may be something of an exaggeration, much like the 200 mph winds.

Courtesy WikiPedia:

The (North Park Colorado) basin opens out northward into Wyoming, in the direction of flow of the North Platte River. On the east side, it is rimmed by the Medicine Bow Mountains, the Never Summer Mountains and Rabbit Ears Range to the south, and the Park Range to the west. The continental divide rims the Park along the south and west. The primary economic activities in the valley are cattle ranching and timber harvesting, although the latter has declined substantially in recent decades.
cropped-north-park.jpg
In the large plains as in the North Park Basin photo above, they spend the summer cutting and baling hay such as in the photo below for the winter
Round_hay_bale_at_dawn02.jpg

Pardon my continued skepticism, but the north park basin is at 8800 feet, not 10000. That 1200 feet makes a difference. I also suspect the basin isn't under snow seven months of the year. In addition, this guy doesn't strike me as a rancher.

The point that I tried to make, apparently too subtly, is that this "off the grid" guy has access to finances beyond what the average mountain man wannabe has. The lifestyle he describes is an amusement for those who can afford it, it's not viable for working stiffs with families to support.

Stick-in-the-mud! :-P Edited by Fookhaht

Of course 200 mile per hour winds is just an error. It's windy in the mountains but essentially never anywhere near 100 miles per hour, not even during storms.

That's not necessarily an error, Honu. A google search reveals that gusts of wind in excess of 200 mph have been recorded in the Rocky Mountains area.
Since it's not possible to monitor and measure wind gusts in every small location throughout the area, and because accurate records of such events don't go back very far in time, it's reasonable to presume that the actual occurrence of such extreme wind gusts, over an average lifetime, is far more frequent than the number of recordings that have been made of such extreme events.
Nowhere was it mentioned in the video that 200 mph winds were a regular occurrence. However, if such winds have occurred once, it is reasonable to presume they will occur again, especially when taking into consideration some of the possible effects of climate change, which are claimed by some experts to be an increase in the severity and frequency of extreme weather events, but that's not proven of course.
Below is a couple of articles I found on the subject.
"Wind studies in the park in the 1970s and 1980s recorded wind gusts in excess of 200 miles an hour".

Stick-in-the-mud! :-P

Stick it in your nose.

Can I safely say that we have now sorted the all-important nose-picking aspect of the greater subject at hand?

And now back to self-sustainability in the Rocky Mountains?

(One more worry: is it possible that it isn't feasible to import Kleenex tissues? I'll leave that to JLCrab to research, if he continues to fret over the nose-picking debacle.)

The video is very good about keeping his abode warm or cool as needed and that he has solar cells and a water well but he didn't say nuthin' about what he's going to eat. At least a few head of cattle or dairy cows could be kept at that altitude and maybe some potatoes but otherwise I don't see how that is self-sufficient specially since the Pun Pun operation in Chiang Mai is a restaurant and organic farm.

The video is very good about keeping his abode warm or cool as needed and that he has solar cells and a water well but he didn't say nuthin' about what he's going to eat. At least a few head of cattle or dairy cows could be kept at that altitude and maybe some potatoes but otherwise I don't see how that is self-sufficient specially since the Pun Pun operation in Chiang Mai is a restaurant and organic farm.

Perhaps this is a project for the future. The area surrounding his house seems rather barren. However, there are Permaculture techniques that can address this. The first stage is to build the house. wink.png

Perhaps this is a project for the future. The area surrounding his house seems rather barren. However, there are Permaculture techniques that can address this. The first stage is to build the house. wink.png

The house looks done to me. A hydroponic greenhouse so he could grow his own papaya for somtom would certainly be in order.

Edited by JLCrab

"...winds blow as fast as 200 miles per hour and the home sits at 10,000 feet above sea level."

I know Colorado has many peaks over 10000 feet, but how many flat areas, as depicted in the picture, are that high? I'm also somewhat skeptical about the wind speed claim, though I suppose it's possible there are gusts that reach that velocity at altitude.

One thing conspicuously absent from the article is an explanation of how Jon Jandai is feeding his family, heating the house, and procuring supplies for his craft beer while living "off the grid" on a high altitude barren patch of ground.

200 km per hour more likely

You can see /visit similar structures throughout the midwestern states, if you know where to look. Earthern homes back in the land runs of the late 1800's were the norm and were referred to as dugouts, they also lived in sod houses where the lower part was below ground level. There are a lot of homes that due to lay of land are completely underground, with only the entry way door being visable. Not puting the man down for his accomp[lishment, but he may have built as per plans, instructions, suggestions,etc of many who have gone down this road before him.

hope he has a good life in his home.

You can see /visit similar structures throughout the midwestern states, if you know where to look. Earthern homes back in the land runs of the late 1800's were the norm and were referred to as dugouts, they also lived in sod houses where the lower part was below ground level. There are a lot of homes that due to lay of land are completely underground, with only the entry way door being visable. Not puting the man down for his accomp[lishment, but he may have built as per plans, instructions, suggestions,etc of many who have gone down this road before him.

You don't have to put the man down if you had checked out his organization's website, which gives due credit to the pioneers of this technique.

Secondly, wind gusts IN EXCESS of 200 MILES per hour are recorded by the National Park Service in Rocky Mountain National Park. Google it, you lazy armchair weathermen.

Thirdly, I have traveled throughout the Rockies numerous times. Plenty of basins at 10,000 feet or HIGHER.

"Ignorance" is the operative word for the cynical posts which saturate this thread.

Edited by Fookhaht

Another description of some the posts on this and many other threads on TV, other than ignorance, appears to be rudness. I just equate the latter to people mixing up their medication and took a nasty pill instead of the happy to be alive dosage.

You don't have to put the man down if you had checked out his organization's website, which gives due credit to the pioneers of this technique.

Secondly, wind gusts IN EXCESS of 200 MILES per hour are recorded by the National Park Service in Rocky Mountain National Park. Google it, you lazy armchair weathermen.

Thirdly, I have traveled throughout the Rockies numerous times. Plenty of basins at 10,000 feet or HIGHER.

"Ignorance" is the operative word for the cynical posts which saturate this thread.

"Skepticism" is the operative word; I and others think the article misrepresents the "off the grid" lifestyle.

"Secondly, wind gusts IN EXCESS of 200 MILES per hour are recorded by the National Park Service in Rocky Mountain National Park. Google it, you lazy armchair weathermen."

I Googled it. I found "Wind studies in the park in the 1970s and 1980s recorded wind gusts in excess of 200 miles an hour (mph), and average daily wind speeds of 65 mph at Longs Peak in the winter." https://www.nps.gov/romo/wind.htm Longs Peak is over 14000 feet, and winds at the mountain peaks are generally much stronger than in the basins below. My skepticism about 200 mph winds where this man lives remains.

I may have been the first to express skepticism about flat areas above 10000 feet, but conceded that they may exist. Apparently they do. However I remain skeptical about the description of this man's "off the grid" lifestyle.

The "locally sourced lumber" clearly wasn't from this barren area, at what cost was it brought in? Does he live without electrical power, or have a power source? If he has some kind of electrical power source, what was the cost of providing it? Does anyone really believe he's raising cattle and planting potatoes? If not, then how does he feed himself? Where does his craft beer and wine come from?

This is clearly a man with a significant outside source of income who is bringing in provisions and luxury items. This isn't living off the grid.

A person, couple, or group of people in good health (or unconcerned about their health) might be able to live in isolation without interacting with, or contributing to, the outside world. That would be truly off the grid. It would be a hard life and when they died no one would notice. It would be irresponsible, and possibly criminally negligent, to raise kids in this manner. This article completely misrepresents off the grid living.

Edited by heybruce

"Skepticism" is the operative word; I and others think the article misrepresents the "off the grid" lifestyle.

"Secondly, wind gusts IN EXCESS of 200 MILES per hour are recorded by the National Park Service in Rocky Mountain National Park. Google it, you lazy armchair weathermen."

I Googled it. I found "Wind studies in the park in the 1970s and 1980s recorded wind gusts in excess of 200 miles an hour (mph), and average daily wind speeds of 65 mph at Longs Peak in the winter." https://www.nps.gov/romo/wind.htm Longs Peak is over 14000 feet, and winds at the mountain peaks are generally much stronger than in the basins below. My skepticism about 200 mph winds where this man lives remains.

I may have been the first to express skepticism about flat areas above 10000 feet, but conceded that they may exist. Apparently they do. However I remain skeptical about the description of this man's "off the grid" lifestyle.

The "locally sourced lumber" clearly wasn't from this barren area, at what cost was it brought in? Does he live without electrical power, or have a power source? If he has some kind of electrical power source, what was the cost of providing it? Does anyone really believe he's raising cattle and planting potatoes? If not, then how does he feed himself? Where does his craft beer and wine come from?

This is clearly a man with a significant outside source of income who is bringing in provisions and luxury items. This isn't living off the grid.

A person, couple, or group of people in good health (or unconcerned about their health) might be able to live in isolation without interacting with, or contributing to, the outside world. That would be truly off the grid. It would be a hard life and when they died no one would notice. It would be irresponsible, and possibly criminally negligent, to raise kids in this manner. This article completely misrepresents off the grid living.

The poster makes assumptions from the video script and excerpts half-quotes to support his skeptic arguments. He extrapolates the information way beyond the assertions of the video to make his points.

It renders credible discussion impossible. Don't have any more time for this crap.

Reminds me of a quotation and a cartoon...

"Mind's made up. Don't confuse me with the facts."

post-108400-14645128351214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fookhaht

The Op said he lives off the grid,yet he get's to post videos on YouTube?. last I checked ,YouTube was on the grid.

and other poster said, he met him at the airport where they had an interesting conversation. Was that a hot air balloon airport?

Personally I think he vacations off the grid, but I am a bit cynical.

So maybe this explains why an organic farmer and natural-materials builder from Yasothorn Thailand is up at 10,000 feet in Colorado. From the Pun Pun website under 'Who We Are':

Peggy Reents is initially worked with NGOs in Northeastern Thailand on earthen building, alternative agriculture, and grassroots development projects before together co-founding Pun Pun with Jo in 2003. She is involved with most things happening at Pun Pun and has a passion for learning about and experimenting with earthen finishes. She from Colorado, USA and has been living in Thailand since 2001.

They have a son Tahn Jandai who "became an addition to Peggy and Jo’s life ..."

Also, here is an article on the house from 2011: http://www.americabycycle.com/2011/10/12/building-the-jefferson-earthship/

Edited by JLCrab

The poster makes assumptions from the video script and excerpts half-quotes to support his skeptic arguments. He extrapolates the information way beyond the assertions of the video to make his points.

It renders credible discussion impossible. Don't have any more time for this crap.

Reminds me of a quotation and a cartoon...

"Mind's made up. Don't confuse me with the facts."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1464512834.488632.jpg

The wind speed quote is a referenced fact. Questions about building and surviving in a remote, barren location that is supposed to be off the grid are legitimate.

Your post is refuted, but you don't want to concede it. It appears you are the one who has made up his mind and doesn't want to be confused with facts.

Edit: You stated that the operative word is ignorance. Asking questions is a sign of intellectual curiosity, accepting a questionable article without question is a sign of ignorance.

Edited by heybruce

From the 2011 story linked above:

As a bit of back story, Peggy, Nate, and Jo all live in Chiang Mai, Thailand nine months out of the year with other members of their family, where they’re working on an ongoing project ...

From the 2011 story linked above:

As a bit of back story, Peggy, Nate, and Jo all live in Chiang Mai, Thailand nine months out of the year with other members of their family, where they’re working on an ongoing project ...

If the title of the OP had been "Thai man releases video about vacationing off the grid in America's snowy mountains" I would have let it go without comment.