Renewing retirement visa

sorry if this has already been done to death - did a search, couldn't find it

I'm in Thailand and want to renew my retirement visa " for a fee".
I can get it done for 17,000 baht but I heard it's cheaper in Pattaya than anywhere else - can someone tell me what the going rate is there?

And is it quick?

cheers

You cannot renew a visa of any type here. You can only get a new visa at an embassy or consulate.

Do you have an extension of stay (it is not a visa) you obtained at immigration?

Paying a large fee to get something done at immigration can be risky since it could be fake or fraudulently done. The fee for an extension application is only 1900 baht.

You cannot renew a visa of any type here. You can only get a new visa at an embassy or consulate.

Do you have an extension of stay (it is not a visa) you obtained at immigration?

Paying a large fee to get something done at immigration can be risky since it could be fake or fraudulently done. The fee for an extension application is only 1900 baht.

I've been here several years and been doing it this way (dealing directly with immigration police) all this time.

Or maybe it's forum policy not to allow this to be discussed openly cos you want to be seen as doing the right thing by the authorities?

if that's the case I'd welcome anyone with a suggestion to pm me

thanks

Edited by pomozki

whistling.gif I was once told my a Thai person (visa agent) that she could get me a new "retirement visa' for 15.000 Baht...a discount price from what she said was her "normal price" of 18,000 baht.

i turned the offer down....becuse I suspected it was a fake or fraudulent visa. (meaning she bribed someone in immigration).

You don't get new "retirement visas"....at least not in Thailand.

I arrived in Thailand in 2010 with a multi-enry one year Non O visa based on retirement from the Thai consulate in Hull.

I extended that visa in 2011, 2012, and 2013 each year at Chaeg Wattana immigration in Bangkok.

You don't get 'retirement visas" in Thaiand....you get them from outside of Thailand at a consulate or embesssy.....but if you meet the requirements you can EXTEND a valid visa annually each year at immigration in Thailand for the proper fee.

That is the legal way of doing it.

You can't renew a visa anywhere. If you want a new visa you have to go to an embassy or consulate outside Thailand.

If you want to renew an extension of stay legitimately, it needs to be done at the Immigrations office that serves your residential area.

whistling.gif I was once told my a Thai person (visa agent) that she could get me a new "retirement visa' for 15.000 Baht...a discount price from what she said was her "normal price" of 18,000 baht.

i turned the offer down....becuse I suspected it was a fake or fraudulent visa. (meaning she bribed someone in immigration).

You don't get new "retirement visas"....at least not in Thailand.

I arrived in Thailand in 2010 with a multi-enry one year Non O visa based on retirement from the Thai consulate in Hull.

I extended that visa in 2011, 2012, and 2013 each year at Chaeg Wattana immigration in Bangkok.

You don't get 'retirement visas" in Thaiand....you get them from outside of Thailand at a consulate or embesssy.....but if you meet the requirements you can EXTEND a valid visa annually each year at immigration in Thailand for the proper fee.

That is the legal way of doing it.

"but if you meet the requirements you can EXTEND a valid visa annually each year at immigration in Thailand for the proper fee."

You can't extend a visa. You would be extending your permission to stay only,which is why you need a re-entry permit to exit the country and return. It's because you no longer have a valid visa.

I've been here several years and been doing it this way (dealing directly with immigration police) all this time.

Or maybe it's forum policy not to allow this to be discussed openly cos you want to be seen as doing the right thing by the authorities?

thanks

The vast majority of us deal directly with the Immigration police at an Immigration Office. The cost of an extension is 1900 Bht

Whatever you claim to have been doing would not appear to be "legal" and is certainly very expensive compared to the authorised, legal fee for which an official receipt is always issued.

thanks

The vast majority of us deal directly with the Immigration police at an Immigration Office. The cost of an extension is 1900 Bht

Whatever you claim to have been doing would not appear to be "legal" and is certainly very expensive compared to the authorised, legal fee for which an official receipt is always issued.

And if he did manage to get something from Pattaya Immigrations, 90 day reports would need to be done there, which would probably invite scrutiny regarding his " change of address."

Why the scrutiny? I did that a few years ago when I was up north and realized my extension date was approaching. I went into the local immigration office and asked if I could do it there or did I have to go all the way back to Bangkok. They said 'no problem' and gave me a change of address form. Easy-peasy. The next year I filled out the form again denoting my "move" back to Bangkok.

People do move around, you know.

thanks

If it is facilitated by the Immigration Police, who are you to say it's not legal? They are the ones enforcing the laws. If it has their stamp on it, it is legal.

I don't think it is our job to change the way they do business in Thailand.

As for me, I prefer the cheaper 1900 baht option.