SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

biggest drawback for me is

no snow :-)

and missing the joy of mounting and dismounting winter tyres on the cars.

nothing and i do mean NOTHING< beats waking up an seeing 18 " of fresh powder and Knowing ur going to get first tracks!!thumbsup.gif

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the posters that stated the poor driving and the unnecessary road deaths, I have a question for you. Where did you live prior to moving to Thailand? Where are you seeing all the deaths and destruction? The News?

Some come on here and post like they are walking down the street and there are dead people all over the place or wrecks every 10 feet.. I simply do not see it and I travel around Thailand a lot. Bangkok to CM to Nakhom Ratchasima and I drive it a lot. Some of the time when I am not driving myself I am in a company van from Nakhom Ratchasima to Ayutthaya and I still don't see it. Admittedly I have seen bad wrecks on the news but let me tell you, I am from California and I saw multiple car accidents every single day to work and back. EVERY DAY. In fact the news and GPS in cars have warnings to tell you about the wrecks. Some serious some minor. &lt;deleted&gt; I have seen on the news 35 car pile ups on the news where 15 people died on Interstate 5. When is the last time any of you saw a 35 car pile up in Thailand? I never see a multiple car wreck in Thailand. My point is, if you came from a place in your home country in the middle of nowhere and move here you might shake your head because honestly you were never exposed to it so you complain about it. However stop with this image you portray that people are dying and wrecking everywhere and bodies are all over the place. If you watch the news to formulate your opinion then you should reconsider watching the news if you can't filter it properly and if your a putz old man driver then you should stay off the road.

With that said, Yes I see families of 4 or 5 on a scooter. Yes I see 5 people in the back of trucks, Yes I see some guys on top of a garbage trucks, Yes I see people riding scooters right to the edge, but I still have only seen a few wrecks in Thailand in my 10+ years.

The biggest drawback to living in Thailand is accepting that we have all chosen to live in a culture / society where the human brain fails to develop past the mental age of around 14 years of age. Once you can accept this immaturity and playground mentality, living here is a piece of cake as everything has more rationale.

i live in my home where the culture/society you mentioned is irrelevant, respectively does not make any impact.

inspite of this fact i strongly resent your generalising and derogatory judgment which demonstrates nothing but arrogance.

To all the posters that stated the poor driving and the unnecessary road deaths, I have a question for you. Where did you live prior to moving to Thailand? Where are you seeing all the deaths and destruction? The News?

Some come on here and post like they are walking down the street and there are dead people all over the place or wrecks every 10 feet.. I simply do not see it and I travel around Thailand a lot. Bangkok to CM to Nakhom Ratchasima and I drive it a lot. Some of the time when I am not driving myself I am in a company van from Nakhom Ratchasima to Ayutthaya and I still don't see it. Admittedly I have seen bad wrecks on the news but let me tell you, I am from California and I saw multiple car accidents every single day to work and back. EVERY DAY. In fact the news and GPS in cars have warnings to tell you about the wrecks. Some serious some minor. <deleted> I have seen on the news 35 car pile ups on the news where 15 people died on Interstate 5. When is the last time any of you saw a 35 car pile up in Thailand? I never see a multiple car wreck in Thailand. My point is, if you came from a place in your home country in the middle of nowhere and move here you might shake your head because honestly you were never exposed to it so you complain about it. However stop with this image you portray that people are dying and wrecking everywhere and bodies are all over the place. If you watch the news to formulate your opinion then you should reconsider watching the news if you can't filter it properly and if your a putz old man driver then you should stay off the road.

With that said, Yes I see families of 4 or 5 on a scooter. Yes I see 5 people in the back of trucks, Yes I see some guys on top of a garbage trucks, Yes I see people riding scooters right to the edge, but I still have only seen a few wrecks in Thailand in my 10+ years.

Over 24k dead a year that's about one every 20 mins. Just cos YOU don't see it does not mean they are not getting killed

The biggest drawback to living in Thailand is accepting that we have all chosen to live in a culture / society where the human brain fails to develop past the mental age of around 14 years of age. Once you can accept this immaturity and playground mentality, living here is a piece of cake as everything has more rationale.

i live in my home where the culture/society you mentioned is irrelevant, respectively does not make any impact.

inspite of this fact i strongly resent your generalising and derogatory judgment which demonstrates nothing but arrogance.

And you and what you resent matter how, exactly?

For me, there are two main drawbacks:

- The jet lag each time I come back "home" (Thailand).

- The serious lack of quality/interesting westerners.

For the first drawback, the jet lag, I don't have a solution. I suffer each time.

But for the second, the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently, make friends in the Thai society, especially in the upper classes, and avoid to mix with the foreigners. It works. There are lots of highly interesting persons in the Thai society. And, generally speaking, they are not only better educated than most farangs in Thailand, but also much more fun to spend time with.

(Having said that, I did meet a very limited number of interesting farangs in Thailand, over the past 15 years, so there are a few).

Edited by gerry1011

For the first drawback, the jet lag, I don't have a solution. I suffer each time.

But for the second, the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently, make friends in the Thai society, especially in the upper classes, and avoid to mix with the foreigners. It works. There are lots of highly interesting persons in the Thai society. And, generally speaking, they are not only better educated than most farangs in Thailand, but also much more fun to spend time with.

(Having said that, I did meet a very limited number of interesting farangs in Thailand, over the past 15 years, so there are a few).

make friends in the Thai society, especially in the upper classes,blink.png

How?

Thai upper class its closed society.. Ofcouse its not deep closed as UK or Japan ... but..

yes you can get some comtact and meeting with.. but friend??

Are you sure?

PS

almast all High class Thai societe and well educated Thai can speak English( its not Japan and China) so ... Why you need "the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently" ... "make friends"..."in the Thai society, especially in the upper classes"?

blink.png

How?

Thai upper class its closed society.. Ofcouse its not deep closed as UK or Japan ... but..

Are you sure?

PS

almast all High class Thai societe and well educated Thai can speak English( its not Japan and China) so ... Why you need "the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently" ... "make friends"..."in the Thai society, especially in the upper classes"?

blink.png

There are plenty of wealthy, educated Thais who speak little to no English.

How?

Are you sure?

PS

blink.png

I would even add that, even if the upper class (or above) Thais do speak English, it is still very difficult for farangs to enter their circles if they do not speak fluent Thai.

Imagine a dinner of 7 Thais and youself, with only you not speaking Thai, and you hosts needing to translate every phrase. It must be horrible (for the Thais).

It has also something to do with the quality of the farang himself, of course. In such circles, one has to adapt to what the Thais enjoy speaking about (light hearted conversations, business and money, royalty, high level universities, family,...), and not speak about the usual farang "things" that are meaningless to the Thai upper, or high, society.

Many on this forum seem to think rather highly of themselves, while members of the Thai upper class are actually far above their level.

I guess there are many more drawbacks for those who don't speak Thai and still want to live in Thailand.

Seriously... for my own personal case, the only real drawback is the jet lag after a long flight from Europe, however comfortable the flight may have been. I need tips :)

Edited by gerry1011

How?

Are you sure?

PS

blink.png

I would even add that, even if the upper class (or above) Thais do speak English, it is still very difficult for farangs to enter their circles if they do not speak fluent Thai.

Imagine a dinner of 7 Thais and youself, with only you not speaking Thai, and you hosts needing to translate every phrase. It must be horrible (for the Thais).

It has also something to do with the quality of the farang himself, of course. In such circles, one has to adapt to what the Thais enjoy speaking about (light hearted conversations, business and money, royalty, high level universities, family,...), and not speak about the usual farang "things" that are meaningless to the Thai upper, or high, society.

Many on this forum seem to think rather highly of themselves, while members of the Thai upper class are actually far above their level.

I guess there are many more drawbacks for those who don't speak Thai and still want to live in Thailand.

Seriously... for my own personal case, the only real drawback is the jet lag after a long flight from Europe, however comfortable the flight may have been. I need tips smile.png

How do you know what the upper class Thais enjoy speaking about?

Oh let me guess; you've been "fortunate" enough to have dined with the Chearavanonts of Charoen Pokphand.

Did he tell you the one about the monk, the murlam singer and the Thai shrimp boat captain?

Thaivisa's very own Nicholas Witchell

Everything else is pretty cool...

Yes, everything else is pretty cool eh. Sometimes I think we can forget that sometimes here in LOS.

I do agree with some of the other posters when they mention their children though. That would entirely change my rosy outlook too, if I had children here. I would be seeing danger everywhere too I reckon!

Being childless with my partner means I only have to look after myself and her, and my partner is a very sensible lady who rarely does anything I consider to be unsafe.

So for myself, it's really only upside so far here in LOS. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be living here with the arse out of my pants, living here with no money would suck major dog balls. I've met quite a few foreigners here with the arse out of their pants and I've always wondered, why not go back home, where things would have to be easier for you from a financial security perspective?

.. the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently, make friends in the Thai society ..

I've never been good at learning new languages, even easy ones. Thai is so difficult with it's tones, plus the written language is so foreign to a Westerner. I fear I could never learn it fluently enough to hold a meaningful conversation with a Thai.

And you and what you resent matter how, exactly?

sorry, me non-native. can not understand English your.

Yes, everything else is pretty cool eh. Sometimes I think we can forget that sometimes here in LOS.

I do agree with some of the other posters when they mention their children though. That would entirely change my rosy outlook too, if I had children here. I would be seeing danger everywhere too I reckon!

Being childless with my partner means I only have to look after myself and her, and my partner is a very sensible lady who rarely does anything I consider to be unsafe.

So for myself, it's really only upside so far here in LOS. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be living here with the arse out of my pants, living here with no money would suck major dog balls. I've met quite a few foreigners here with the arse out of their pants and I've always wondered, why not go back home, where things would have to be easier for you from a financial security perspective?

That´s exactly right regarding the financial factor. I have many times asked myself the samr question. Why do they just not go home?

It´s probably the same people that are so unhappy and sign so very many negative things here. If people do not have enough money they

usually turn out to be very angry with everything instead of solving the problem.

Regarding why you think you should see danger everywhere, just becoause you get a child it´s a question for me. I have a 4 year old daugther myself.

Off course I have to be careful, but there is nothing especially hard with that. Now we live in Isaan area. How that would be in Bangkok I don´t know.

.. the solution is to learn the Thai language fluently, make friends in the Thai society ..

I've never been good at learning new languages, even easy ones. Thai is so difficult with it's tones, plus the written language is so foreign to a Westerner. I fear I could never learn it fluently enough to hold a meaningful conversation with a Thai.

- Start with the writing.

- Take your time, no need to rush, but do it a bit every day.

- Do not try to learn to speak before your can manage to write. The secrets of the pronunciation are in the writing.

- After you can write (and read, of course), start to speak. Then, everything is very fast.

- It may take two years and a bit of efforts, but it will certainly eliminate several drawbacks you may experience now. It's worth to try. But many do without and can still enjoy life.

That´s exactly right regarding the financial factor. I have many times asked myself the samr question. Why do they just not go home?

It´s probably the same people that are so unhappy and sign so very many negative things here. If people do not have enough money they

usually turn out to be very angry with everything instead of solving the problem.

Regarding why you think you should see danger everywhere, just becoause you get a child it´s a question for me. I have a 4 year old daugther myself.

Off course I have to be careful, but there is nothing especially hard with that. Now we live in Isaan area. How that would be in Bangkok I don´t know.

Definitely better places to be skint than Thailand

Seen many guys who arrived with the world at their feet end up on the bones of their &lt;deleted&gt;.

Easy to screw up here if you're too partial to the grog and the skirt.

Considering those are the two primary drivers for moving here for many, it's little wonder there are so many losers to point at and laugh

How?

Are you sure?

PS

blink.png

Seriously... for my own personal case, the only real drawback is the jet lag after a long flight from Europe, however comfortable the flight may have been. I need tips smile.png

post-179032-0-27213300-1464848761_thumb.

Definitely better places to be skint than Thailand

Seen many guys who arrived with the world at their feet end up on the bones of their <deleted>.

Easy to screw up here if you're too partial to the grog and the skirt.

Considering those are the two primary drivers for moving here for many, it's little wonder there are so many losers to point at and laugh

Yes! One of my favorites is everybody that feel the need to move here and open a bar. It´s actually amazing how many people that think they get the knowledge that is needed for that,

just by buying a ticket to another country. At the same time the bar industry is already full. There is no room for much more.

Here it is easy to compare this with when 1 mobile phone shop open on a street. 2 month after there is 15 mobile phone shops. In other words. Open a bar in an already crowded street mostly leads to failure.

How ever, you shall not point and laugh at thoose people. Be a humanitarian and feel same pitty! ¤lol¤

Edited by Carson2311

Some come on here and post like they are walking down the street and there are dead people all over the place or wrecks every 10 feet.. I simply do not see it and I travel around Thailand a lot. Bangkok to CM to Nakhom Ratchasima and I drive it a lot. Some of the time when I am not driving myself I am in a company van from Nakhom Ratchasima to Ayutthaya and I still don't see it. Admittedly I have seen bad wrecks on the news but let me tell you, I am from California and I saw multiple car accidents every single day to work and back. EVERY DAY. In fact the news and GPS in cars have warnings to tell you about the wrecks. Some serious some minor. <deleted> I have seen on the news 35 car pile ups on the news where 15 people died on Interstate 5. When is the last time any of you saw a 35 car pile up in Thailand? I never see a multiple car wreck in Thailand. My point is, if you came from a place in your home country in the middle of nowhere and move here you might shake your head because honestly you were never exposed to it so you complain about it. However stop with this image you portray that people are dying and wrecking everywhere and bodies are all over the place. If you watch the news to formulate your opinion then you should reconsider watching the news if you can't filter it properly and if your a putz old man driver then you should stay off the road.

Over 24k dead a year that's about one every 20 mins. Just cos YOU don't see it does not mean they are not getting killed

This is actually funny. So foreigners complain how there is virtually no infrastructure, systems don't work, they do what they want etc and yet posters will believe the data when it's convenient. You can't have it both ways. I would question those numbers. I do not believe them. How are the numbers reported? Province to province from each little police station? Come on. Don't make me laugh. Edited by JAFO

This is actually funny. So foreigners complain how there is virtually no infrastructure, systems don't work, they do what they want etc and yet posters will believe the data when it's convenient. You can't have it both ways. I would question those numbers. I do not believe them. How are the numbers reported? Province to province from each little police station? Come on. Don't make me laugh.

The number is actually around 24K per year, according to an analysis made by WHO. We just hope that it´s reliable as you wish to think that it´s not. I will anyway trust them more than your poor knowledge.

By the way, if you want to reconsider and believe the information they offer it´s actually more interesting thing to learn from that website. Here is the link for free: http://www.who.int/gho/road_safety/mortality/en/

Edited by Carson2311

Difficulty in making good friends once married in Thailand. And I make friends easily.

Found most of my wife's friends in Bk can be pretty fake and pretentious and I don't seem to have much in common with other expats I meet; although I met a v nice couple through the TV motor forums recently!

Not sure if anyone else had this problem when they moved over or if my age is a factor (in my 40s now).

That's my only real gripe so far. I love the food, the weather, convenient and affordable transportation, the cheap and brilliant dentist I found, discovering new parts of Thailand and that all those amazing bordering countries are so close.

Edited by Cook my sock

This is actually funny. So foreigners complain how there is virtually no infrastructure, systems don't work, they do what they want etc and yet posters will believe the data when it's convenient. You can't have it both ways. I would question those numbers. I do not believe them. How are the numbers reported? Province to province from each little police station? Come on. Don't make me laugh.

The number is actually around 24K per year, according to an analysis made by WHO. We just hope that it´s reliable as you wish to think that it´s not. I will anyway trust them more than your poor knowledge.

By the way, if you want to reconsider and believe the information they offer it´s actually more interesting thing to learn from that website. Here is the link for free: http://www.who.int/gho/road_safety/mortality/en/

Great stuff. Data from 2013. Heck it could be 30,000 now or conversely 15,000.

So we are clear I am not saying people are not dieing from car, bus and motorcycle accidents here in Thailand. People die everywhere all the time in every nation that has moving vehicles. I am stating in my travels and miles I log around here I am not seeing it. Occasional wrecks sure; Deaths, dismemberments No. Every 20 minutes by your math is a lot. News should be flooded with reports. I should see a few. Now maybe its all happening in one province LOL or maybe the routes I travel happen to be the safest routes. I will say though, yesterday after work, I saw a fender bender. 2 trucks, one had a minor bent rear bumper and the owners were on the side with insurance agent laughing and taking pictures.smile.png

That aside however I am questioning the numbers. Where does WHO get their numbers? I am a data guy. I always question numbers and how they were acquired. Like Wikipedia. Good source for some basic stuff but. There are facts, there are estimates and their are extrapoliations from a small sampling. Thanks for the Site link, I quickly browsed it. Not sure what to think of it. Reads like a blog and for a World type site I would expect a lot more.

In my case the night flight over from uk usually works. Less impressed with EVA on the last couple of trips so went back to Thai airways. Shocked, new planes, great food and as much as you can drink. Plus the passengers don't pull the blinds up midflight like on EVA ( why is that?)

In my case the night flight over from uk usually works. Less impressed with EVA on the last couple of trips so went back to Thai airways. Shocked, new planes, great food and as much as you can drink. Plus the passengers don't pull the blinds up midflight like on EVA ( why is that?)

Because they're (NumbNuts) WINGNUTS!!! Pisses me off too.

Edited by NumbNut