SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having an English or Ferang School Teacher sit by you whilst enjoying Beer.They never stop yappin.

Learn some sign language and sign back to them, they might shut up then

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i find most annoying is the , almost weekly, posts about, what do you like about thailand, or, what dont you like about thailand, or, whats it cost to live in thailand, or, how much i spend a week in thailand, or, my girlfriend left me, what can i do, or, what temp should i set my Ac to. Cheeers.

why not survey points - Nothing?

My Ansver NOTHING..

because Thailand is almost impossible to live if people respect the culture of their ancestors, and you follow the their culture.
Of course, if this is not the Thai people,
well, or maybe Chinese..
Visit. even long time stay for Injoy/relax(sex/nature/Thai culture etc) - YES.. Live NOT!!!

Could you please retype that in English

The heat.

Just about all the other inconveniences are a matter of my personal choices. Some of them are tough to avoid, but can be worked around.

But it's just too fricking hot to enjoy the outdoor activities that I love.

Didn't you check the weather before deciding to come here?

Sure did. But the 40% hardship salary differential for working in Thailand more than makes up for the heat.

Paycheck goes away, I can be packed in a couple of hours and on a flight outta Dodge the next day.

Edit: But I'd probably head out to some harder to reach locales and do some honest tourist stuff for a couple of weeks. Hard to do on short weekends. And I'd hate to leave without seeing some of Thailand's boondocks. I won't be coming back as a tourist or retiree. Too far from home and lots of closer choices. Not better, but so much closer they don't have to be better.

Edited by impulse

My Ansver NOTHING..

because Thailand is almost impossible to live if people respect the culture of their ancestors, and you follow the their culture.
well, or maybe Chinese..
Visit. even long time stay for Injoy/relax(sex/nature/Thai culture etc) - YES.. Live NOT!!!

ok then..

I try my best..

Why there is no survey points - Nothing?

My answer- NOTHING..

Because Thailand is almost impossible to live if people respect the culture of their ancestors, and follow the their culture.

Of course, if you not the Thai people...well, or maybe Chinese..

Visit and even long term stays to enjoy/relax (sex/live nature/Thai culture etc.) - YES..

Live NOT!!!

My Ansver NOTHING..

well, or maybe Chinese..

ok then..

I try my best..

My answer- NOTHING..

Because Thailand is almost impossible to live if people respect the culture of their ancestors, and follow the their culture.

Visit and even long term stays to enjoy/relax (sex/live nature/Thai culture etc.) - YES..

Live NOT!!!

Hi ardo! How's the toyota these days?

Other: Too many hot, sexy Thai women. I don't want to leave.

"What am I doing on the Internet Tiirak? Nothing sweetie. Hey is that a new Thai Soap you're watching...."

The ridiculously high import duty required for me to bring my own car from the UK into the country.

But you actually managed it.

Well done

Oh no I didn't.

Car is still sitting in my garage in the UK.

lol

Really?

I thought it was possible to agree the duty with the tax people before shipping it.

The heat.

Just about all the other inconveniences are a matter of my personal choices. Some of them are tough to avoid, but can be worked around.

Sure did. But the 40% hardship salary differential for working in Thailand more than makes up for the heat.

Paycheck goes away, I can be packed in a couple of hours and on a flight outta Dodge the next day.

Edit: But I'd probably head out to some harder to reach locales and do some honest tourist stuff for a couple of weeks. Hard to do on short weekends. And I'd hate to leave without seeing some of Thailand's boondocks. I won't be coming back as a tourist or retiree. Too far from home and lots of closer choices. Not better, but so much closer they don't have to be better.

Evereybody is so happy about that, but what about Dodge. You really live there, or are you just <deleted>---ng joyking?

You know it is really hard to work with Thai people, just because the shiftment in the way of thinking and the way of showing moral thinking.

The heat.

Evereybody is so happy about that, but what about Dodge. You really live there, or are you just <deleted>---ng joyking?

You know it is really hard to work with Thai people, just because the shiftment in the way of thinking and the way of showing moral thinking.

If you have an open mind and are used to adjusting to different working conditions in different countries it's not a problem working with Thais. I have worked in 20 different countries and Thailand is far easier than many. Try dealing with all the PC crap and bureaucratic nonsense in the American Health care industry and Thailand seems like a paradise.

My Ansver NOTHING..

well, or maybe Chinese..

ok then..

I try my best..

My answer- NOTHING..

Live NOT!!!

ssorry! just stil don´t grasp it. Just help us to understand what you what to say!Please

"What am I doing on the Internet Tiirak? Nothing sweetie. Hey is that a new Thai Soap you're watching...."

Just don´t leave. Be a sex addict and enjoy. Just a choise of life , dude

Please what ever you do, don´t look the soap operas!

For me the major draw back here is the general and culturally wide Mai-bpen-rai attitude towards safety....

It's tragic when I see so many people unnecessarily hurt, injured or killed.... in road accidents, electric shocks etc... just walking down the street is a hazard...

Don't think so ???... I didn't either, I was ok walking around quite relaxed but alert, until I had my Son, now i see stupidity, carelessness and danger from every angle...

Walk past a street food stall alone... no issues... With my son... Wow, naked flame, hot oil, splashing oil, cooker at my sons eye level... suddenly something simple as walking past a street food vendor takes on a new dimension... but its avoidable by driving everywhere !

Crossing the road... before, I could judge traffic and ease myself between... now with my son... I simply don't cross the road !!! ever !!... Yes, it is avoidable... we drive most places !!...

Restaurants... The waitress just passed that Tom Yam over your shoulder onto the table, no issues.... but with a child... WHAT ???? NO !!!! STOP... What on earth ?... Don't pass boiling hot food over the head of my Son !!!!

.... so many things were an astonishing eye opener and its clear that the common sense of many here, especially with regards to general every day safety is absent to such a degree its easy to be placed in direct danger.

We've travelled a lot (Wife, Son and I).... UK, Singapore, NZ, Aus, Japan etc and I've never observed and felt such risk as I do here in Thailand...

....its manageable, but it something I'm always alert about....

Others in the Poll:

Visa issues: I'm married and I travel a lot working overseas, I also have the Elite Visa (from before I was married), so I never had any visa issues... I have numerous options when I'm not here on a WP.

Property Ownership: I'm married, with a son now, so my Wife (Thai) can own the property and I don't mind.

Other: There's a lot to discuss here - unfortunately un-discussable... a major issue regarding the future security, safety and human rights of every day citizens... if food ever became in short supply Thailand could become dangerous very quickly.

But for now, the single standout issue is the careless attitudes towards safety, which I find outright idiotic at times....

For me the major draw back here is the general...

...and then you digressed.

Seriously though, you have nailed it as far as I am concerned. My boy just turned 8 and now there's a whole lot of new dangers that he can find now that he's taller, smarter (I hope) and more articulate. The toddler dangers were more easily managed IMHO because a parent tends to be physically closer to the child 24/7. Now he's old enough to go riding bikes or swimming with his cousins or school mates, the dangers are more unmanageable.

And I agree that the cultural mores that make basic health and safety a bit of a black art here just makes it more fraught than it really needs to be. It's easier and safer (and cheaper) to stay home these days. I gave up enjoying driving in LOS several years ago when traffic multiplied what seemed like overnight with a commensurate rise in eedjit drivers. It's just nobody can be arsed to make a real go of things whether it's a real standardization of domestic, commercial and industrial electrical standards or simply enforcing existing standards (or making sure they are enforced). It's like everyone is just winging it.

For me the major draw back here is the general and culturally wide Mai-bpen-rai attitude towards safety....

It's tragic when I see so many people unnecessarily hurt, injured or killed.... in road accidents, electric shocks etc... just walking down the street is a hazard...

Don't think so ???... I didn't either, I was ok walking around quite relaxed but alert, until I had my Son, now i see stupidity, carelessness and danger from every angle...

Walk past a street food stall alone... no issues... With my son... Wow, naked flame, hot oil, splashing oil, cooker at my sons eye level... suddenly something simple as walking past a street food vendor takes on a new dimension... but its avoidable by driving everywhere !

Crossing the road... before, I could judge traffic and ease myself between... now with my son... I simply don't cross the road !!! ever !!... Yes, it is avoidable... we drive most places !!...

Restaurants... The waitress just passed that Tom Yam over your shoulder onto the table, no issues.... but with a child... WHAT ???? NO !!!! STOP... What on earth ?... Don't pass boiling hot food over the head of my Son !!!!

.... so many things were an astonishing eye opener and its clear that the common sense of many here, especially with regards to general every day safety is absent to such a degree its easy to be placed in direct danger.

We've travelled a lot (Wife, Son and I).... UK, Singapore, NZ, Aus, Japan etc and I've never observed and felt such risk as I do here in Thailand...

Others in the Poll:

Visa issues: I'm married and I travel a lot working overseas, I also have the Elite Visa (from before I was married), so I never had any visa issues... I have numerous options when I'm not here on a WP.

Property Ownership: I'm married, with a son now, so my Wife (Thai) can own the property and I don't mind.

Other: There's a lot to discuss here - unfortunately un-discussable... a major issue regarding the future security, safety and human rights of every day citizens... if food ever became in short supply Thailand could become dangerous very quickly.

But for now, the single standout issue is the careless attitudes towards safety, which I find outright idiotic at times....

It´s just a hole bunch of problem, my friend. Maby you should think about a ticket back. I mean, just for safety first!

If I had this much negative food on the plate, I would just not eat it.

For all above mentioned reasons (I like to add the generalization 'thainess') I have decided to leave for my home country this month.

Leaving behind a beautiful small paradise (resort) which I have offered for sale.

I like to spend the rest of what is left of my life in peace, and not have to worry of thailand slipping further and further in a swamp, not to talk about the chances I get killed or worse wounded in a traffic accident, attacked by some out of control 18 year old boys, or a dog.

Im going with a gut feeling that your leaving not because of yapping dogs or farang murdering teens around every corner but rather because your resort flopped..would I be right?

Like I said all of the above.

Answer 1 come closest to my choice, but I would like to extend it.

Not just the accidents and lack of safety on the road, but the whole traffic situation is for me the biggest drawback to living in Thailand.

Sometimes I refuse to go to events because I don't want to stay in the car and in the traffic for hours. That seriously prevents me from participating on many social activities.

The sheer dishonesty of the Thai system and it's people.

The system, sure, but the people? Bit tough there ianf. I've met some fleas here, sure, but I've met some top folks too.

And I'm just talking bout the expats mate!

Right. There are some very decent and honest people here.

Others in the Poll:

"For me the major draw back here is the general" - This is seriously making me cionsider whether or not I want to continue working here - it is curiosity more than anything else that keeps me here now.

Hi ardo! How's the toyota these days?

Nothing to change...
Still horrible
all the creaks as the Chinese or USSR (for the domestic market to imports did much better in USSR) car. or like an old cantin with 500,000 km on ODO.
after washing peeled paint.
but do not have time to go to the dealer for warranty repaint.
Just one thinks better
On one side of the bumper clips, fixed very well, long time( near 10000km) bamper have no cracks. But on the right side a little bit of the beginning of the retreat.biggrin.png
PS
Look car for changed. but for new not have money...
few weeks ago go out Thailand.. drive few car..one of them Prado 120 with 350k on ODO used hard and in offroad to.... F... HOW!!! SAME brand can do so different car!!!blink.png

ok then..

I try my best..

My answer- NOTHING..

Live NOT!!!

ssorry! just stil don´t grasp it. Just help us to understand what you what to say!Please

Ok then again..

Thailand oppressive in relation to other cultures. Its not bad and its not good.. It only THEIR way and up to They.

1. Live in Thailand - must get Thai style or cant..

If you get thai style so not have any "drawback ".

But if you get thai style -you lose a part of you culture and traditions.

so people Who CAN'T not follow their nation tradition and culture - cant live in Thailand..

But they can come to Thailand for enjoy Thai culture/sex/live nature etc for short or long time stay..

So its not live so its still not have "drawback to living in Thailand"rolleyes.gif

Others in the Poll:

It´s just a hole bunch of problem, my friend. Maby you should think about a ticket back. I mean, just for safety first!

YAWN..... the 'If you don't like it go home' response.... is that really the most intelligent comment you have for this thread ?

Read the title of this thread again and tell me what you think 'Drawback' means.......

Others in the Poll:

YAWN..... the 'If you don't like it go home' response.... is that really the most intelligent comment you have for this thread ?

Read the title of this thread again and tell me what you think 'Drawback' means.......

Yes I know what drawback means. The intelligence is there too.

I find it much more troubling with your intelligence. You just stay in a country with that much problem and worries.

What happened? Are you wanted in your home country?

Edited by Carson2311

Others in the Poll:

Yes I know what drawback means. The intelligence is there too.

I find it much more troubling with your intelligence. You just stay in a country with that much problem and worries.

What happened? Are you wanted in your home country?

Troll somewhere else.... or add something of value to the thread... what do you find to be the greatest drawback to living in Thailand ?

This is an opportunity to surprise us with something other than a childish attempt at trolling me.

IDEA: Start a thread asking 'what is the greatest attraction to living in Thailand'.... If you don't like some of the answers you can troll your own thread !

Just don´t leave. Be a sex addict and enjoy. Just a choise of life , dude

Please what ever you do, don´t look the soap operas!

Proof positive that my posts are too subtle for most. Well, at least for the besotted variety.

"Dood, i need a dikshenary to understand wad ur sayin."

Yep. whistling.gif

Edited by connda

All of the reasons given and about 20 not mentioned. They can kill themselves on the road and screw each other over with corruption as much as they like, it's more the immigration nonsense and not being able to buy land/houses that are the two main drawbacks.