HDR photography

A bit of a discussion came up in one thread about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Perhaps if anyone wishing to discuss the process, this might be a better spot!

I know if you are Picasa and Google+ there is an option to use for free, results are not always that great from my experience.

One can purchase software here (also use for free but it adds a watermark)

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Perhaps anyone with experience or other links can add and discuss this topic!

Thank u Jimmy;

about the use for free;

do you have an example with the watermark ?

I don't, but why don't you download and try it? .... then show us!!! ... tongue.png

I suspect it will have some kind text across the photo... wink.png

The HDR composite is usually made up of three or more photos which are exposed one after the other with a difference in exposure by anything from 1/2 a stop to 1 or more stops.

post-231138-0-30117800-1464491491_thumb.

post-231138-0-79911900-1464491494_thumb.

post-231138-0-78020400-1464491496_thumb.

post-231138-0-80447300-1464491492_thumb.

Normal exposure followed by 1 stop under and 1 stop over then the HDR pic

many cameras have the ability to aet up a user defined setting which can be set to a low ISO (best for HDR landscapes), auto bracket of + and - 1 stop.

The auto HDR setting available in many phones is not very good but better than nothing.

Even a single image can be HDR'd, but that is best done to RAW images.

If the subject is moving, such as people then an HDR from a single RAW file is best or you get ghosting over the three images.

It's what we named " bracketing" on argentic photos ?

what is argentic photos??

anyone who does not understand the photographers talk about 'stops' please ask.

I had to look this up, but apparently "argentic" is a way of referring to film photography as opposed to digital sensors. It literally means "Of, pertaining to or containing silver," which would be an accurate description of photographic film.

It's what we named " bracketing" on argentic photos ?

what is argentic photos??

anyone who does not understand the photographers talk about 'stops' please ask.

I had to look this up, but apparently "argentic" is a way of referring to film photography as opposed to digital sensors. It literally means "Of, pertaining to or containing silver," which would be an accurate description of photographic film.

Exactly, Vaultdweller.

"Photographie argentique" is the french term for "film photography" because of the silver laying in the film emulsion...

So I suppose Assurancetourix made a "shortcut" using "argentic photography" for "film photography".

As an aside, "film" in french means "movie" gigglem.gif

Thank you Jimmy for opening this thread.

And thanks for the details, nongai and others. Now I understand...

thumbsup.gif

It seems it's a bit like the zone system in B&W film photography.

As well, in the darkroom, when processing wet prints, one may use the split grading and/or use masks...

This pic for example:

post-41729-0-70911400-1464521949_thumb.j

Under the enlarger, if this negative is exposed as a whole, you get a pale and near-uniform grey sky with little details, though the foreground is OK.

To make the sky coming, this neg must be exposed about 1 stop more. But as a whole in this case, the foreground of the pic would be too dark. So one have to use hands or a piece of cardboard (as a mask) to hide the foreground at about half the right exposure time for the sky.

BTW B&W negatives usually have a wide exposure latitude: about 2 stops over and under the "right" exposure, and the emulsion "records" tiny details one have "to look after" when printing...

Cheers,

Ray

I'm into manual HDR. Meaning I controlled the amount of HDR applied on every specific area of the photo.

23575703994_05fe77092d_b.jpg

[edit] Make sure you got a good exposure on site and you can do the rest in lightroom with the right knowledge... No extra software needed at all.

@ dancealot: impressive result thumbsup.gif

@ nongai: thanks for this interesting comparison. It well shows how that works...

And I can understand someone who sticks to the pic, may accept to get some noise.

Thanks for your inputs.

Chers,

Ray

I don't see any of the digital images portraying HDR in it's true sense, either extreme or subtle. For me they are just under exposed and in need of processing.

Here I spent 30 seconds per image tweaking levels and curves to bring out the hidden detail.

And for DAL I inserted an RSJ to redress his sagging roof. I don't use Lightroom but I guess it has perspective alignment! LOL

Just scratching an itch !!!

post-134340-0-69439500-1464626651_thumb.

post-134340-0-94374600-1464626666_thumb.

post-134340-0-57609500-1464626756_thumb.

Wow!

I'm amazed and impressed by what you can do with your computers, guys.

I didn't even imagine one can go so far into post-processing digital shots. Beautiful renditions...

Hat down.

clap2.gif

I'm used to film photography, and I must confess I'm beginning to discover "another world" through your pics... wink.png

Cheers,

Ray

@Fimgirl: Thanks for your input, it's always appreciated. I'm working more with perspective corrections now.

Tip you might be interested in DAL.

Photoshop>select all>edit>distort then pull up or down (and out if necessary) the corners. Hold down the shift key to ensure straight line adjustment.

Hope that helps

I too I like the shaggy's original one better.

I feel shadows give more depth to the pic with more "in the face" effect.

The second one seems a bit "flat" to me...

But it may be a matter of taste rolleyes.gif

The image is posted in the HDR thread, High Dynamic Range, the concept of which is to maximise, usually via several varying exposures, the full range of detail available in shadows, midtones and highlights. This is what I did. I opened up the image to show all available detail where possible, which is what I thought was the request. If one wants to retain the low key atmosphere of an image, why post for HDR?

In all fairness to fimgirl,the image I posted was a very low resolution Jpeg image,and so very little that could be done to it without destroying it!

The reason I did post that image and ask fimgirl to edit it,was to make a point.......I actually asked for my image to be edited.Whereas,I am sure that the other

two members,who's images were edited,didn't have that luxury. Taking it upon yourself to download/edit and then re-post someone else's work,just because you didn't

like their post processing,is totally out of order.If the images offended you that much,then permission to edit,should of been asked first...... in my opinion!

Please, don't take it wrong, fimgirl. I think we are not here to compete each other, but to explain and then understand...

Your editing shows very well the HDR implication, and I'm more than happy I've been able to see that.

After all, composition, shadows, darkness/lightness, details, atmosphere... it's just a matter of personnal preference.

Cheers

Archived