Health Insurance for Newborn with OPD

janejira

I've searched and read through many of the threads (and yes, Google too) on this topic, but they seemed inconclusive.

I would like to ask for anyone's advice or personal experience in purchasing health insurance for a newborn that includes out-patient care.

Father is Thai, mother is not and baby is due to arrive in November 2016.

Right now, we do have in-patient health insurance through my employer which the baby can be added to (I believe there is a wait period of 15 days, my HR wasn't clear), so a policy with OPD is the priority. We don't carry any other private health insurance as we're both covered under the Thai Social Security scheme.

I understand that as the child will hold Thai citizenship, that the Gold Card/30 Baht program is an option, but I want to be able to go to a hospital of my choosing without the long lines. Top-tier international hospitals are definitely out of our current budget, but we're hoping for a policy that covers mid-tier private hospitals that are somewhat easy to get to in Bangkok.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. We have a policy in mind right now, but I want to make sure I understand all my options.

Thank you!

I've searched and read through many of the threads (and yes, Google too) on this topic, but they seemed inconclusive.

I would like to ask for anyone's advice or personal experience in purchasing health insurance for a newborn that includes out-patient care.

Father is Thai, mother is not and baby is due to arrive in November 2016.

Right now, we do have in-patient health insurance through my employer which the baby can be added to (I believe there is a wait period of 15 days, my HR wasn't clear), so a policy with OPD is the priority. We don't carry any other private health insurance as we're both covered under the Thai Social Security scheme.

I understand that as the child will hold Thai citizenship, that the Gold Card/30 Baht program is an option, but I want to be able to go to a hospital of my choosing without the long lines. Top-tier international hospitals are definitely out of our current budget, but we're hoping for a policy that covers mid-tier private hospitals that are somewhat easy to get to in Bangkok.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. We have a policy in mind right now, but I want to make sure I understand all my options.

Thank you!

Out patient care costs a lot with in general little benefit.

Is your SS through your current employer? And they also have private insurance available?

Most people complain because they have neither.

I'd suggest the 30 baht plan also, but I see you don't want that. You might want to sign your baby up for it just so you have it.

Thank you for the comments so far. I think we will sign up for the 30 baht plan just to have it. I just want to know my other options.

I am in no way complaining about the insurance provided through my employer. For me and my husband it has been fine. I'm more concerned about any health related expenses once the baby gets here.

Neither of us have any experience with kids, so with the first sign that something may be wrong I want to have the option to see a doctor without having to worry too much about the expense. It also would be an advantage for the doctor to speak English and if I could get there somewhat easily.

Most Thai will not have such insurance so it is not likely to be cost effective (there is no pool to draw funds from). As most OP visits would be less than 1k if medications are bought elsewhere at any but the most expensive private facilities it might be better to pay when required but use government normally and when expensive testing might be in order. Doctors at government facilities are often better than at lower tier private hospitals and doctors will speak English (although staff English may be limited). Expect policy would have to be as family and a waste if only want for child; but perhaps I am wrong.

Archived