Windows Changing How Updates Are Offered - Again

Speedo1968

Please note I have "automatically check for updates" turned off, much to the chagrin of Microsoft.

I do check daily.

I run W7 in a new laptop and do not wish to change.

For a while W10 was an optional download.

Then it was a forced download ( but not install ).

Then W10 no longer appeared as an "optional download".

Now, in the past couple of days W10 is showing available updates for W10 as "optional".

Be Aware of the preceding screen that comes up when checking for updates.

Anyone finding the same ?

What's so wrong with Windows 10 that you don't want to give it a try?

Even if it turns out that you don't like it, you can get back to W 7 within a month.

You can check if the set up lets you keep all files and programs before you continue.

Sorry for not answering your question, I wouldn't like to go back to Windows 7.

I can't update but still have the same issue.

They keep turning it back on - I have auto turned off too for this reason - says it is one important update and every time I uncheck it the next time I open update it is on again - it will only reinstall the nag icon which I removed twice before using instruction from online.

On this PC MS already said it is not available due to my old processor (ten year old PC) yet they can't take no and won't stop reloading the nagware.

If you don't want it:

GWX Control Panel

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I have given in to my curiosity and installed W10 on my desktop (this one).

Surprisingly smooth with no problems.

I have shut off all spyware with:

DoNotSpy10

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

Be careful as many of these programs interfere with Windows Update.

^+1

Or use this program Never10 by Grc.com

https://www.grc.com/files/never10.exe

What it does . . .
The first thing Never10 does upon starting is verify that it's running on a non-Enterprise edition of either Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Those are the only versions of Windows that qualify for automatic upgrading through the Windows Update facility.

If the edition and version of Windows qualifies, it then checks the file version of the Windows Update AutoUpdate Client wuauclt.exe located in the Windows system directory. For Windows 7, the wuauclt.exe version is compared against [7.6.7601.18971]. For Windows 8.x, the wuauclt.exe version is compared against [7.9.9600.17930]. In either case, those are the versions of the respective July 2015 updates to Windows Update which added the ability to disable the GWX (Get Windows 10) group policy and registry settings.

If the currently installed version of Windows update has a lower version, Never10 notifies its user that Windows Update must be updated to be able to disable automatic OS upgrading. When the user understands and instructs Never10 to update Windows Update, it chooses among one of four files for Windows 7 or 8 and 32 or 64 bits, downloads the proper file from Microsoft's Windows Update server, and runs the standalone installer to update Windows Update. This never seems to require a reboot.

Never10 manipulates the values and security permission settings of the following two registry keys:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
    Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
    These will be referred to as the “Gwx” key and the “DisableGwx” value. This key and value control the display of the “Get Windows 10” offer icon in the system tray. When DisableGwx is set to 1, the upgrade offer icon is suppressed.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
    These will be referred to as the “WindowsUpdate” key and the “DisableOSUpgrade” value. This key and value control the downloading and installation of any upgrades to Windows. When DisableOSUpgrade is set to 1, any previously downloaded Windows 10 files are deleted and Windows will never attempt to upgrade the current operating system.

Link: https://www.grc.com/never10/details.htm

Edited by MJCM

I dont understand peoples reluctance to move to Win10, well okay I do if they experienced 8.1, but 10 is a good OS, works even better than its predecessors on lower hardware, and its free.

If its the 'it is spying on us / sending data back' fear then I got news for you, so does OSX, iOS, Android, every browser, most google apps, etc

If you don't want it:

GWX Control Panel

DoNotSpy10

As Get Windows 10 (GWX) is presented as an update, that's the idea. you have to tweak them individually to ensure that they only block what you want them to block. Better to set Updates to "ask before downloading" and review each one before accepting it. Bit of a PITA when there are 20 of them but my computers do what i want them to do rather than what MS wants them to do!

And you can block / review / defer updates in Windows 10 with a bit of fiddling with the registry but that's not advisable unless you know what you're doing!

Edited by VBF

I dont understand peoples reluctance to move to Win10, well okay I do if they experienced 8.1, but 10 is a good OS, works even better than its predecessors on lower hardware, and its free.

If its the 'it is spying on us / sending data back' fear then I got news for you, so does OSX, iOS, Android, every browser, most google apps, etc

I didn't like W10, but I've recently been playing with it on a "sacrificial" PC and i'm warming to it......slowly!

Go to Settings > Privacy to switch off a lot of the inbuilt "spyware"

I'm nearly at the stage where I'll update my "working" PCs - need to do it before July 29th if i'm going to!

Meanwhile W7 carries on being supported until 2020

Oh and as I mentioned above, you can block / review / defer updates in Windows 10 with a bit of fiddling with the registry but that's not advisable unless you know what you're doing!

Even if it turns out that you don't like it, you can get back to W 7 within a month.

You can check if the set up lets you keep all files and programs before you continue.

updated my two year old 8.1 laptop to windows 10; despite MS assurance that windows 10 would be faster it has in fact made my computer slower, in particular the browser. also the wifi cuts out with windows 10 finds it harder to find wifi connections and cuts out where previously i had no such issues with 8.1

i dont mind updating my OS and i can still use my computer but why cant microssoft provide an update that genuinely makes things better - especially wifi and browsing as that is what most people use most of the time?

... why cant microssoft provide an update that genuinely makes things better - especially wifi and browsing as that is what most people use most of the time?

Updated my 1 year old Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 the first day it became available (not ususally an early adopter, but what the heck). Went flawlessly. Lenovo provided some updated wifi drivers, but in my case, I didn't really need it as wifi worked great. Overall, performance seemed more snappy but I felt immediately at home navigating around and customizing the OS to my liking. I've received every update since then and have had 0 problems. In my case Microsoft provided an update that genuinely made things better. Convinced a couple co-workers to upgrade and they had similar experiences.

More than likely you need to update a driver for the wifi. If you haven't done so already, search "<laptop type> wifi issues after upgrading to windows 10" or just search the laptop manufacturers site for a driver update. Wifi issue may be affecting your browser experience. If you are running any kind of Virus scanner that is scanning real time that could also affect your browsing experience. Browsing, on it's own, isn't slower on Windows 10. For many, like me, upgrade went flawlessly, for others, it can cause some irritations, but Microsoft supports a large variety of components, platforms, and manufacturers (Apple supports and completely controls just a few in comparison and even then can't always get it right), so problems are to be expected for some unfortunately.

FWIW, from what I've heard from the Windows Weekly podcast...

If you're one of those folks like me who got caught by one of the earlier auto Windows 10 installs and then decided you wanted to manually roll back to your prior OS, SUPPOSEDLY, once you've done that original Windows 10 install on a machine, that activates your license for Windows 10 on that machine.

And then, if you later roll back as I did, SUPPOSEDLY, you'd still have the right to a future free upgrade to Win 10, even if you end up doing it AFTER the basic July 29, 2016 freebie cutoff date.

I was a staunch user of XP, hung on to it like grim death. Then certain websites started to run at ultra slow pace, other things wouldn`t let me update so I was pushed into upgrading to Windows 7. I choose W7 instead of W8 or W10 because W7 still lets me run many of my old trusted programmes and software that are not compatible with other versions of Windows. For me there are no benefits to upgrade unless the issue is forced on me.

But I`m an old fart, only use a PC and a basic mobile phone and content with that and hate having the options taken away. Microsoft hate customers like me, the younger people may prefer W10 for their apps, ipads and smart phones. So the question should be, not what`s wrong with W10 but what is the best Windows version for you.

I was a staunch user of XP, hung on to it like grim death. Then certain websites started to run at ultra slow pace, other things wouldn`t let me update so I was pushed into upgrading to Windows 7. I choose W7 instead of W8 or W10 because W7 still lets me run many of my old trusted programmes and software that are not compatible with other versions of Windows. For me there are no benefits to upgrade unless the issue is forced on me.

But I`m an old fart, only use a PC and a basic mobile phone and content with that and hate having the options taken away. Microsoft hate customers like me, the younger people may prefer W10 for their apps, ipads and smart phones. So the question should be, not what`s wrong with W10 but what is the best Windows version for you.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with XP if you like it and it performs properly with your choice of application software. I prefer Win 7 to Win 10 and I've worked in IT security for a long time.

The problem is that XP is no longer supported with security updates and is therefore an open target to all the idiots who produce malware, viruses etc. Eventually your chosen Firewall / AV program will cease to receive updates and it's probable that your PC will be hacked and generally broken.

If you send emails to people, the emails may contain "nasties" and woe betide you if you do online banking!!!!!

Eventually Win7 will go the same way whether we like it or not.

Cyberfarang I DO see your point and right at this moment I'm testing Win 10 with all the odd little programs that I've used successively on Win 98, XP, 7. So far only one totally incompatible program which I'm not too concerned about. It's a case of "needs must I'm afraid"

Edited by VBF

If you don't want it:

GWX Control Panel

DoNotSpy10

I've read some features and decided not to go for a try...facepalm.gif

You're right. i also had my doubts when W 10 started and I had spent sleepless nights since then. But know I'm really more than happy the way it works.

And I'm not a youngster....Cheers- wai2.gif

To the OP,

What you will find is one day you have left your computer on and it has updated itself automatically without your permission.

That is unless you have removed the necessary updates.

The optional download was changed by MS to a recommended download.

I written a basic batch file to remove the necessay updates but no longer have it and it may be outdated now anyway.

MS are getting sneaky.

Always read the support page for every single update before carrying it out.

This may help but its on old post and there were more updates made available after it https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-updates-spy-on-windows7-8-users/

Personally speaking I love Win 10. Had a big mishap with my PC due to a faulty wireless keyboard and mouse. To cut a long story short I decided the best way forward was a new install of Win 8 from original (genuine) disk. Win 8 loaded without problems and asked for registration key. No sooner than it had finished MSN asked if I wanted to upgrade to Win 10 (exactly what I was hoping for). One hour later and Win 10 was back on my PC. Didn't even ask for my registration key and confirmed my installation was authentic. Absolutely seamless - great. Now working better than ever and fully up to date. And that is coming from a diehard who didn't want to move on from XP last August. Provided your PC has the capability, and 8 Mb RAM is recommended, I think this product is MSN's best yet.

Personally speaking I love Win 10. Had a big mishap with my PC due to a faulty wireless keyboard and mouse. To cut a long story short I decided the best way forward was a new install of Win 8 from original (genuine) disk. Win 8 loaded without problems and asked for registration key. No sooner than it had finished MSN asked if I wanted to upgrade to Win 10 (exactly what I was hoping for). One hour later and Win 10 was back on my PC. Didn't even ask for my registration key and confirmed my installation was authentic. Absolutely seamless - great. Now working better than ever and fully up to date. And that is coming from a diehard who didn't want to move on from XP last August. Provided your PC has the capability, and 8 Mb RAM is recommended, I think this product is MSN's best yet.

Totally agree !!1 But you wouldn't have much fun with 8 MB. Guess you meant 8 GB....thumbsup.gif

OP, you can roll back within one month !!!

Edited by lostinisaan

Many thanks for all the responses and suggestions for updating to W10 or not.

I guess I am too long in the tooth for a change and I have until 2020, so it seems, for updates to W7, long enough for me.

With the general poorer quality of laptops today ( 4 years on my last Toshiba,10 years on the previous Toshiba and 10 years on the previous Packard Bell - the memory was just too small, ( and printers ), meaning shorter life span before major repairs are required, 2020 will probably see my lap top out too.

For now, as I have always done, I will keep all automatic updates turned off in Windows, ( but check daily whats available in updates ) and, other programs set at "ask before downloading".

Thanks again ......

Totally agree !!1 But you wouldn't have much fun with 8 MB. Guess you meant 8 GB....thumbsup.gif

OP, you can roll back within one month !!!

You're right! Got my M's and G's mixed up.