One dead as truck smashes into motorcycles at Songkhla intersection

webfact

I suggest everyone dispense with all the trash talk about the driver until the accident is investigated.

The driver could have had a mild stroke or other medical condition. If so, there is no negligence, no legal liability, nor could charges be filed.

Post accident, drivers do occasionally get help and are rushed to the hospital by a witness.

It's possible he fell asleep. He could be charged with that.

I'm at a loss to understand why some posters are so angry and negative after reading news that generally is wriiten, before an investigation, with a negative spin to generate more business.

Be calm and thankful where you are and enjoy the freedoms and great food here. Keep in mind millions of people worldwide have lost what you currently have in Thailand.

. Apologist, do u have FB , all over the place these videos, running away after a Stroke, my god man, open your eyes, they are Murderers, Plain and Simple, Koji Absolute Carnage, Edited by Ireland32

This is what is so scary about driving in Thailand. You can be the best and most careful driver in the world, and yet at any time you can be obliterated by one average driver making one of those "mistakes" or faulty machinery, just by you being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And the probability increases by the number of uneducated drivers increasing on the road.

I suggest everyone dispense with all the trash talk about the driver until the accident is investigated.

The driver could have had a mild stroke or other medical condition. If so, there is no negligence, no legal liability, nor could charges be filed.

Post accident, drivers do occasionally get help and are rushed to the hospital by a witness.

I'm at a loss to understand why some posters are so angry and negative after reading news that generally is wriiten, before an investigation, with a negative spin to generate more business.

Be calm and thankful where you are and enjoy the freedoms and great food here. Keep in mind millions of people worldwide have lost what you currently have in Thailand.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying but clearly he wasn't sleeping and clearly he didn't have a stroke. He slammed on the brakes and jack- knifed the trailer and cab.

an educated outside the box international company employee thai friend said it is common knowledge about 80% of society realize it is cheaper to leave a dead person at a car crash rather than an alive one. living require medical and long term care.

the guy in the sliver pickup truck is as lucky as the guy in the blue tee shirt. RIP to the victim. Wrong place at wrong time..

"Wrong place at the wrong time". That sums up my daily fear when living in Thailand.

I regularly have a coffee at the same time in a cafe located on an intersection where a public bus turns. As he turns, the driver changes gears and let me tell you, the poor bus is put through pure hell. There is no double clutching. The driver just continues to rip and pull until the gears grind into place. Meanwhile, the bus has almost come to a stop mid intersection and all the traffic has come to a stand still. Clearly, no driver training or education. After about 15 minutes, this bus has not left town on its 23 km journey and it would all be due to gear changes. Just where is the quality assurance with large vehicle driving in this country? Clearly the two things all the drivers know are, 'my brakes failed' and to flee the scene.

That was probably the most ignorant post I have read on TV.
you must be new then.

And the carnage goes on. Totally irresponsible low educated cowardly scum bag behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that. The Police should charge the company and the driver with manslaughter.

I agree, but the same kind of carnage in the uk and elsewhere only attracts the charge 'Causing death by dangerous driving', a much lesser charge then manslaughter. As i had a best friend wiped out this way on a uk M-way, i strongly agree it should be manslaughter.

Do you really expect that to be taken seriously

What planet are you from? Look at the footage, the driver also did a runner. God help us if we all think like you. Do you follow other posts on accidents in Thailand? I'm the last person to condemn someone without being fair, but when you do a runner like most Thais do, all fairness is blown out the window.

And the carnage goes on. Totally irresponsible low educated cowardly scum bag behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that. The Police should charge the company and the driver with manslaughter.

someone once told me that if they cant find the driver .... then the company cant be charged with anything ....companies give most of there drives a 1.000 baht so they can get away ....but really low life drivers like that should be hunted down and shot .....thais really have very little idea about how to drive .....still if its thai's killing thai's then who gives a shit .... thailand will never change ...T.I.T ....and what a joke ...move forward thailand ....blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

i remember studying and taking my CDL test...quite the effort. I also remember the 20 hours of mandatory motorcycle training....so I could ride my harley on base....wonder how much studying or class room time truck drivers, let alone motorcycle drivers, here have....slim to none....and those on the slim side sleep through it anyway. Be careful out there!

Yes, the drivers should be careful when slippery, they might slip and fall, while trying to make a run for it!

is this the new way of reporting driver fled the scene.

DRIVER SLIPPED AWAY UNOTICED.

In all the countries that I've driven in, I would rate Thailand as no. 1 in terms of incompetency and lack of road craft.

This is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future as there is no will in the backbone of this country to improve matters. Most of the casualties tend to be from the lower social ranks so there is little mileage to the central govt to preserve lives at this level.

You have never driven in Saudi, Kuwait or Libya- and let's not forget Hanoi.

In Hanoi everything moves so slowly! The highways outside Hanoi are a bit scary

Scary on the highways is right. Especially if you are a motorcyclist. They are regularly squashed like ants under the 18 wheelers which just barrel along blasting their air horns warning people to get out of the way while overtaking everything in front of them.

In all the countries that I've driven in, I would rate Thailand as no. 1 in terms of incompetency and lack of road craft.

This is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future as there is no will in the backbone of this country to improve matters. Most of the casualties tend to be from the lower social ranks so there is little mileage to the central govt to preserve lives at this level.

In Hanoi everything moves so slowly! The highways outside Hanoi are a bit scary

Scary on the highways is right. Especially if you are a motorcyclist. They are regularly squashed like ants under the 18 wheelers which just barrel along blasting their air horns warning people to get out of the way while overtaking everything in front of them.

Actually when I was a kid my family was living in Africa, My dad said quiet often: "If you run over someone here, back up and run over them again to make sure....then do the runner.....". But that was a looong time ago in the dark ages....

Edited by AlQaholic

Ironic that the only one wearing a helmet is the one that dies.

Possibly due to wearing the helmet his hearing and peripheral vision were impaired so that he didn't notice the accident unfolding until it was too late.

For all the "protection" that the typical Thai helmet provides, in many cases they are more of a liability than a help..!

Possibly due to wearing the helmet his hearing and peripheral vision were impaired so that he didn't notice the accident unfolding until it was too late.

For all the "protection" that the typical Thai helmet provides, in many cases they are more of a liability than a help..!

Well that settles it. Throw away those helmets. Bare-headed riding is definitely the intelligent choice. Or did I miss the point?

post-108400-14646646407565_thumb.jpg

post-108400-14646646957082_thumb.jpg

Which is why I wrote, "In all the countries that I've driven in......" Unlike some posters, I only comment based on my own knowledge and experience.

In the places that you've mentioned, I have no intention to visit, let alone drive.

What's your excuse then for your impaired powers of reasoning?

Youre at a loss to know?.....let me help, being as these things occur daily, 99% end up being the same bottom line of pure sheety driving,

1 brake failure

2 road too slippery

3 Hill to steep

4 Brain too small

5 rain too much

you name it any amount of BS excuses

Medical condition? shouldnt be driving then should he.

Yes, the drivers should be careful when slippery, they might slip and fall, while trying to make a run for it!

is this the new way of reporting driver fled the scene.

DRIVER SLIPPED AWAY UNOTICED.

I dont think being direct is their forte

What's your excuse then for your impaired powers of reasoning?

Head injury.

Which supports my contention that what will kill you on a Thai road, even if you are being careful, will come from the direction you least expect it. dry.png And RTP, no worry, ya'll are doing a great job, no need to enforce traffic laws any better. beatdeadhorse.gif

RIP. 402.gif

Edited by connda