Work visas for business start-ups

I recently read an article about a talk given to an invited audience in BKK (including employment and immigration officials from the Thai government) by an expert on SME's / Business start-ups and small companies - in particular, the most effective method of obtaining appropriate work visas.

The article stated that in the opening of his talk the expert apologized to the Thai government officials present but then went on to say that Thai employment/immigration laws were amongst the most prohibitive he had ever encountered! (courtesy probably prevented him from saying that the Thai govt clearly operates a system of restrictive practices). Indeed, his advice was that it was much simpler (and cheaper - due to better tax dispensations) to establish a business in Singapore, then apply for it to be recognized here in Thailand?

Sadly, despite saving the article to my PC - I am now unable to recover it due to the dreadful Windows 10 Operating System I have. I wondered if anyone else had seen/read this article or could offer me further advice on the topic? In particular. is it possible to establish a business in Hong Kong (instead of Singapore) and where/who do I need go/speak to regarding getting the appropriate documentation so that I can be granted a work visa?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

There is no such thing as a "work visa", only a "work permit". You will not be able to obtain a work permit (as far as I know) with a foreign corporation.

I believe that you can obtain a "Non-immigrant O" visa for business purposes, which can be valid for differing periods, based on a need to enter Thailand to conduct business related to your foreign corporation. For example, if you are a jeweler, and you are entering Thailand to locate and purchase gem stones, you could obtain a Non-O Business for that purpose, but that visa would not allow you to stay, and I am not sure of the extensions you can obtain.

There is no such thing as a "work visa", only a "work permit". You will not be able to obtain a work permit (as far as I know) with a foreign corporation.

I believe that you can obtain a "Non-immigrant O" visa for business purposes, which can be valid for differing periods, based on a need to enter Thailand to conduct business related to your foreign corporation. For example, if you are a jeweler, and you are entering Thailand to locate and purchase gem stones, you could obtain a Non-O Business for that purpose, but that visa would not allow you to stay, and I am not sure of the extensions you can obtain.

Generally a Non 0 visa is used by people who are married/retired/or a recognised parent of a Thai child.

A Non B is issued to allow the holder to obtain a work permit.

I do not know of such a thing as a Non O B visa.

Generally a Non 0 visa is used by people who are married/retired/or a recognised parent of a Thai child.

A Non B is issued to allow the holder to obtain a work permit.

I do not know of such a thing as a Non O B visa.

Right. I mis-typed the "O" when I meant Non-Immigrant Business. Thanks for pointing that out.