Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

yes, you've said it before & with an equal number of CAPITALS too

I've never started another entire THREAD about it.

Dude, using all caps for EMPHASIS is not even remotely the same as posting large blocks of text in uppercase (which I would never do or defend).

I've heard all the arguments against even using for emphasis, but I remain unconvinced.

If you must emphasize, try bold or italic.

Just a thought.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"So, is living abroad and virtually NOT really living abroad as I've described ... is that wrong? Immoral? Can you relate to that at all"

OP, what are you trying to achieve by your post ?

Like the Thai girls say ... up to you. Immoral, up to you. Wrong, up to you.

Only you know what your reasons & motives are for being here, or there. If you are happy, contented, safe, does it really what the rest of us think ?

Are you feeling guilty about something ? Looking for some sort of acceptance ?

Just wondering.

Cheers..... Mal.

No it's not "wrong", it's "normal".

Pattaya is an extreme, peculiar, hybridised, developing, micro-culture and the last thing that anybody cares about is if you (a foreigner) are getting an adequate dose of "Thai Culture".

Many (perhaps the majority) of the Thai people who live/work there look forward to going home to their various different regions (the "real" world/culture) of Thailand as often as they can, but the opportunities are all too infrequent.

Carry on enjoying it for what it is and for what it gives you.

If you have the time you might care to visit Thailand (and those peoples regions) someday.

You are so right. Most Thais I know are embarrassed by the so-called "Thai Culture" of Pattaya. To them, it's like a festering sore that keeps popping up in the news.

I lived in Pattaya for three years (at VT6) but became bored living there. Pattaya has a great bar scene but that's about it, there are many more things to do in Bangkok. Pattaya is not 'authentic' Thailand so I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about not having a keen interest in the culture except to show proper respect for your host.

Pattaya, Soi Cowboy, Nana Plza are as authentic as any other part of Thailand!

I have visited more traditional areas of Thailand.

Enjoyable for a while, but seen one wat, seen em all!

OK, not exactly, I know, but you get the idea.

I remember I drove around Portugal one trip visiting old churches.

It was great! But no need to repeat it.

Been coming to LOS for 12 years still havent seen a WHAT in person.

Jingthing

It's an interesting point .

It would be refreshing to have a definition of Thai culture - there always seems to be a dichotomy; those who immerse themselves in a rural life or those who prefer a city life.

What is so amazing about Thai culture?

Pattaya / Jomtien divides itself into different social strata , those who live rather pleasant lives- who use this place as a base to travel the provinces and the world - it's convenient, airport not too far, 10 mins to immigration, decent cinemas etc. Lively social scene .

Then you have the low life - the sexpats- who seem totally obsessed .

If you have a significant other and get involved in family affairs - of course you are involved in Thai culture - weddings, funerals, understanding of beliefs and customs.

Would you want to do that all the time- NO. ( get a bit fed up of the expectation that you will pay for everything - which I don't )

So actually I agree with you- I don't see anything special at the moment about Thai culture from a foreign perspective - the country has changed- it's becoming more xenophobic every day.

So I will go on enjoying Pattaya- ( which last time I looked is actually in Thailand ) my Thai is not too good- but improving. In the meantime in the English way of doing things - just shout louder in English .

People who depend on the bar scene and bar women need to wake up and get a real, satisfying life!

Not to mention saving your liver and your health.

Not understanding the culture of a country you live in is being ignorant and even dangerous.

From reading this post it is clear the OP needs to change his thinking and his life and focus on being happy wherever that may be.

If your bored, that is a red flag.

Create new interests, and new friends. Learn the language and meet new friends in the high end malls, on the BTS, in coffee shops.

Be the first to initiate conversation and listen.

Join a club or start one.

Diet, lose weight, spend more time walking or join a gym.

Sun bath for 15 to 20 minutes a day.

Go to bed early and get up early.

Replace alcohol with clean water and flush out the fatty liver.

If you smoke, stop now.

Replace junk food with healthy fats and veggies.

Avoid most prescription drugs. If you eat healthy your bodily will heal itself as intended.

Avoid negative friends and substance abusers.

Avoid bars for three weeks then limit dinks to 2 to 3, beer and wine only.

Reduce sugar and sweetener intake.

Soon, you will see what you have been missing in life.

If it works for you, pass it on!

Edited by Kabula

People who depend on the bar scene and bar women need to wake up and get a real, satisfying life!

Not to mention saving your liver and your health.

Not understanding the culture of a country you live in is being ignorant and even dangerous.

From reading this post it is clear the OP needs to change his thinking and his life and focus on being happy wherever that may be.

If your bored, that is a red flag.

Create new interests, and new friends. Learn the language and meet new friends in the high end malls, on the BTS, in coffee shops.

Be the first to initiate conversation and listen.

Join a club or start one.

Diet, lose weight, spend more time walking or join a gym.

Sun bath for 15 to 20 minutes a day.

Go to bed early and get up early.

Replace alcohol with clean water and flush out the fatty liver.

If you smoke, stop now.

Replace junk food with healthy fats and veggies.

Avoid most prescription drugs. If you eat healthy your bodily will heal itself as intended.

Avoid negative friends and substance abusers.

Avoid bars for three weeks then limit dinks to 2 to 3, beer and wine only.

Reduce sugar and sweetener intake.

Soon, you will see what you have been missing in life.

If it works for you, pass it on!

I don't think this is a thread about healthy living.

Am quite sure you will live into your nineties- clutching a Zimmer frame - what fun?

It's to do with embracing Thai culture.

PS the mantras about healthy living are being debunked in the West - low fat yoghurt anybody ?

I wonder what Thai culture you are thinking of , Architecture , literature , music . I live in a large Isaan village and I don't see any real culture at all . Thais are Buddhists , but religious practice is more Pagan , Old customs , Superstition . Festivals such as Songkran are just a nonsense throwing water over everyone and almost non existent the sprinkle of water on hands and blessings .

Bonfie is a fertility festival , hardly representative of the sort of culture you may be referring too . Isaan food is nothing like Thai food ingredients are of the poorest and many people have no idea how to cook . I am a country man and Pattaya is not somewhere I would seek to go . I like many Farangs living in rural Thailand find life intensely boring .

Nothing wrong with living in Patts and having no interest in Thai culture.

But you are lieing to us and lieing to yourself. You are there to be a sexpat. Otherwise i can think of dozens of better places to live on a similar budget as Pattaya.

Yeah Iam lieing to myself and using the excuse that Patts is the most convenient place for me to live given the location of my work. I should move to Chang Mai and commute every day I spose.

Edited by Don Mega

Thai culture means a few things to me.

The fashion dress (clothing)

a. for the men, balaclavas and long sleeve shirts (sometimes with covering orange jackets with numbers on the back) and thick woolen gloves.

b. for the women, skirts with unflattering modesty shorts underneath which doubles as seriously protective underwear. This combo often comes combined with high heels, ugly cheap fashion jewellery and a few subtle tats (some not always readily visible).

The language. Totally confusing! As I find when I try to read the cooking instructions on the Thai packaged frozen food.

The religion/s and Thai superstitions and the heavy reliance for longevity on amulets. (while all the time smoking 40 a day and enjoying a bottle or two of lao khao before driving home after being out with the boys)

The temples (those places used as refuges for conmen and drunk drivers/abbots) and tiger hiders.

I am unable to find the connection between Pattaya and Thai culture. Pattaya has some unique Thai cultures all of it's own. Those cultures can be very individual and part of the personal learning curve from living there.

JT - Everything in your opening thread I agree with.

But as mentioned - Pattaya and Bangkok are not Thailand as Paris is not France or London the UK.

Culture - The infantile belief in ghosts and bad luck and good luck. I will probably get shot or censored at least if I go onto mention the religion but lets make it a global issue...do people in this day and age really have to pray to rocks, sticks, trees and plaster cast images to make life better ?

The class system here is no better than the Indian one with untouchables, the down trodden get more trampled everyday and they just don't seem to see it. And all the Wai-ing - totally subservient. I never do it.

When I meet a local person for the first time and get introduced I offer a handshake. Causes confusion but puts everyone on the same level.

As for the food...never touch the fish. Fresh my hairy ass ! Sea bass - no it is farmed Barramundi.

Som Tam....stinks to high heaven. You want the blue bottles and flies to come to the table - bring this stuff out.

The tiny plate of fish oil and chilli they give you to pour on food - smells like cats piss that has started go off mixed with rotten fish.

Pad Thai - sticky gooey noodles spiced up to give it a taste.

MSG - used to give most oriental dishes something called taste.

Any noodle dish - Soft, sloppy slurpy messy and tasteless unless you get some MSG.

Fruit - totally poisoned with chemicals. Why do you think it is all the same bright colour, size and shape...Nature did that out in Isaan - I think not. Watermelons all the same size as a size 5 football ?

Every day you can buy cloned bright yellow mangoes the same size shape and colour....

Do I really have to ask everytime for a bloody FORK and KNIFE at a meal. Babies and toddlers eat with spoons.

I was given a spoon to eat a doughnut recently...

Local attitude towards foreigners...they hate us - especially the men. Think about it? Would you like it if Thai guys turned up in your old neighbourhood - ran off with the good looking women and flashed the cash all over the place buying houses, Harleys and Honda Jazzes... Yeah you would welcome them with open arms - No tar and feather more likely ...

Why do you think the present Gov are making it harder and harder for westerners to be here ? And its all blokes as far I can see in charge now.

oh and lets not forget the favourite cultural item - scamming - not just Johnny Foreigner - other locals.

Local culture in any country - you can keep it.

Good manners, politeness and consideration to others along with honesty and integrity - That is what I offer and expect in return but never seem to get.

I went there once for 2 days about 10 years ago and that was enough for me. But one mans meat is anothers' poison as the saying goes

I guess it it like being a member of this forum. some guys have been around for ages, seen and done a lot and yet only have a few hundred posts while others..... :-)

Most of us expats here are not IMMIGRANTS.

I think REAL immigrants would be foolish to take the approach I do (and I know others do as well, to different levels).

Also of course there are practical differences. If you're working here and you need to be more local to make that happen, well, there really isn't any choice, if you want to work here.

Many foreigners here are SINCERELY interested in Thai culture. That's different. I'm saying if you realize over time that you're really not, then if you don't have to for practical reasons, why bother FAKING it?

Some would say to be polite and respectful to the hosts here, as they see themselves as guests of the hosts. I hear that but it doesn't move me.

While I don't really care what you do personally. The problem I have is when expats come and refuse to assimilate and spend all their time complaining about how thing should change. If you want to be in a place like your home country then go back home. If you want to live abroad then quit complaining about how thing should adapt to you and not the other way around.

Most of us expats here are not IMMIGRANTS.

I think REAL immigrants would be foolish to take the approach I do (and I know others do as well, to different levels).

Also of course there are practical differences. If you're working here and you need to be more local to make that happen, well, there really isn't any choice, if you want to work here.

Many foreigners here are SINCERELY interested in Thai culture. That's different. I'm saying if you realize over time that you're really not, then if you don't have to for practical reasons, why bother FAKING it?

Some would say to be polite and respectful to the hosts here, as they see themselves as guests of the hosts. I hear that but it doesn't move me.

While I don't really care what you do personally. The problem I have is when expats come and refuse to assimilate and spend all their time complaining about how thing should change. If you want to be in a place like your home country then go back home. If you want to live abroad then quit complaining about how thing should adapt to you and not the other way around.

The 'it's Thai Culture' excuse gets trotted out to cover all sorts of things.

Order a steak in some restaurants and while the steak may be good and well prepared and presented it quite often comes with a fork and spoon and when a knife is asked for it usually arrives after enough time to allow the steak to get cold.

The above has nothing to do with culture. It's just total lack of thinking and/or no respect for the customer. I now ask for a knife before I order my food.

Trying to change the system in the restaurant benefits the restaurant and future customers.

Talking about not liking it so you should go back home benefits no one.

Edited by overherebc

An American once said to me,"we are a country of many cultures,but we are a country without a culture"

Yeah, cute quote, but I have learned it is simply not true. That doesn't mean it's a pleasant culture but there definitely is one.

"So, is living abroad and virtually NOT really living abroad as I've described ... is that wrong? Immoral? Can you relate to that at all"

OP, what are you trying to achieve by your post ?

Like the Thai girls say ... up to you. Immoral, up to you. Wrong, up to you.

Only you know what your reasons & motives are for being here, or there. If you are happy, contented, safe, does it really what the rest of us think ?

Are you feeling guilty about something ? Looking for some sort of acceptance ?

Just wondering.

Cheers..... Mal.

My motivation was to provide an interesting topic for a lively discussion. I think this time I succeeded. I don't really care if strangers approve of my choices ... I'm the one that has to deal with them, for better or worse.

yes, you've said it before & with an equal number of CAPITALS too

I've never started another entire THREAD about it.

Dude, using all caps for EMPHASIS is not even remotely the same as posting large blocks of text in uppercase (which I would never do or defend).

I've heard all the arguments against even using for emphasis, but I remain unconvinced.

If you must emphasize, try bold or italic.

Just a thought.

Amazing. You're clearly a bloody genius! I had NEVER thought of that before.

I do think it's interesting what an international city pattaya has become, especially all the ethnic restaurant choices we have. I also started off more "thai" than I am now, I've slowly gravitated to being an expat, eating nice steaks at beefeaters, cooking tacos with ground beef from foodland, etc. My life here is more or less the same as it would be in San Francisco, except my girlfriend is probably 10 years younger than what I'd qualify for in the US.

However, I don't really associate learning the language with embracing thai culture. I think it's a learning style thing, I never studied thai, but living here for 9 years I just picked it up, and am reasonably conversant. I do note the envy in expats who don't speak thai when we're in a bar or something and I can talk to the girls in thai. It certainly helps with newby bargirls.

What's being interested in Thai culture got to do with living in Pattaya?

The reason you old boys live there is because you like being surrounded by cheap, young prostitutes and being in a environment that accepts the fact that you are there to use cheap, young prostitutes......it is what it is. A bit sad all round really. Oh well...........

Edited by somchai jones

What's being interested in Thai culture got to do with living in Pattaya?

The reason you old boys live there is because you like being surrounded by cheap, young prostitutes and being in a environment that accepts the fact that you are there to use cheap, young prostitutes......it is what it is. A bit sad all round really. Oh well...........

Thanks for an example of the kind of IDIOTIC post that serves no purpose here.

Assuming you probably don't live here and just coming on for the usual stupid Pattaya bashing we've heard 10,000 times.

Please don't bother.

As I said in the OP, the sexpat aspect is optional ... this thread is NOT about that.

Edited by Jingthing