Returning to Thailand after loong OT

Dear All,

I could use some help. I have a friend, and he has a friend who is friends with someone and the friend of that individual had overstayed his visa for about six years.
He already left the country, and is back home, however he wishes to return. This happened almost a year ago.
What is the best way to do it? Any constructive advice is appreciated. Please save the type of comments, like he should stay home and he is the devil for overstaying his visa etc etc...nobody is going to read such childish contributions.

Thank you in advance

One thai lawyer suggested a name change, another just laughed and found the issue very entertaining.

If your friends friend does return it should be with a visa.

He should ensure he has the equivalent of 20,000 Bht cash (a requirement of entry) and pre booked accommodation. He should also be prepared to answer the immigration officers questions about why he has returned and what his intentions are.

Serious question, if an individual enters Thailand with a valid visa, where is it stipulated that they need 20,000 baht (or equivalent)?

• Like 2

One thai lawyer suggested a name change, another just laughed and found the issue very entertaining.

He should ensure he has the equivalent of 20,000 Bht cash (a requirement of entry) and pre booked accommodation. He should also be prepared to answer the immigration officers questions about why he has returned and what his intentions are.

Serious question, if an individual enters Thailand with a valid visa, where is it stipulated that they need 20,000 baht (or equivalent)?

The immigration act states this."(2) Having no appropriate means of living following entry into the Kingdom" for denial of entry.

The 20k baht comes from the requirements to apply for a visa.

• Like 2

Did he leave the country on his own accord and paid the 20k fine? Or was he deported ? If he left the country on his own accord he willl not be blacklisted . Seeing it was 6 year overstay and one year back in his own country I would suggest a new passport is in order as normally there only valid for 10 years. He will have no trouble entering.

Did he leave the country on his own accord and paid the 20k fine? Or was he deported ? If he left the country on his own accord he willl not be blacklisted . Seeing it was 6 year overstay and one year back in his own country I would suggest a new passport is in order as normally there only valid for 10 years. He will have no trouble entering.

Prior to March 20 there was no difference between getting caught and giving yourself up other than being put in detention and being deported. Their was no black listing for being deported.

Getting a new passport is not needed. Getting a new passport does not make the history of having a long overstay go away in immigration's database. When entering the country with a new passport the history for the old passport will be linked with the new one.

• Like 1

How to find that out, whether one was blacklisted?

He won't be blacklisted but if he wants to be 100% sure contact ThaiVisaService

They can make checks for a fee of I beleive around 3000 Baht

Why be ripped off paying 3000b, just go immigration.

Some people would prefer to know before buying air tickets to and from Thailand and trying to travel whether they will be prevented from entering and returned to their origin. There is no evidence that there will be an issue in the OP's friend-of-friend's case, but I can understand the nervousness of some prospective travelers and their desire to be reassured on this point.

• Like 2

How would a person that is outside the country do that?

I can assure it is not a ripoff. I have seen reports of some law firms wanting much more than 3000 baht to do the same thing.

Offically blacklisted (unlikely given departure date) or not, to avoid any chance of being "sent home" on a last-minute-purchased ticket (at 2 or 3x the normal cost) - which could happen even if is not officially blacklisted, he should consider flying to a neighboring country (Malaysia is a good choice), then entering Thailand via a land border (Pedang Besar by Train, in the case of Malaysia - not Sadao).

He would still be wise to get a Tourist Visa - not try to enter on a VisaExempt - and definitely have the 20K Baht (in whatever currency) to show upon attempting to enter. If I were in his shoes, with an overstay of that length, I would also have an outgoing Air-Ticket to show.

You obviously haven't thought that through have you? How can he go to Immigration if he is outside of the country?

He was detained, then deported, after a well intentioned foreigner called the cops on him.
The process was quite slow, a few handshakes made it quite fast.

I am a bit confused about when the new regulations actually took effect, because i can recall, that a year ago when it happened, the immigr was already talking about blacklisting and years of ban being in place. But it seems, that it just started in March, which would be March 2016, not 2015..correct?

He was detained, then deported, after a well intentioned foreigner called the cops on him.

I am a bit confused about when the new regulations actually took effect, because i can recall, that a year ago when it happened, the immigr was already talking about blacklisting and years of ban being in place. But it seems, that it just started in March, which would be March 2016, not 2015..correct?

March 2016, no one was blacklisted before then for overstay if they left before the date the new rules came into effect, the 20th if I recall correctly

If he was deported for overstay before March 20th 2016 then he is not blacklisted.

However, anyone that has been deported from Thailand for any reason can be denied re-entry to the country under Section 12.11 of the Immigration Act. It is highly unlikely that he would be denied entry, but he should make sure he has a visa, 20K cash and an onward flight.

Edited by elviajero

The regulation was announced in 2010, but I don't know where you'll find it written.

The amounts vary for different visas:

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
  3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The amounts are the same as the MFA requirements to obtain the visa although many Embassies/Consulates do not ask to see proof of funds either.

The regulation was announced in 2010, but I don't know where you'll find it written.

The amounts vary for different visas:

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
  3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The amounts are the same as the MFA requirements to obtain the visa although many Embassies/Consulates do not ask to see proof of funds either.

Thanks elviajero & UJ, clears that up.
I had always believed that the financial proof was stated at 10,000 baht for an individual and 20,000 for a family, and aimed more towards the people coming in on visa exempt, rather than visa holders.
Happy to be put right.................thumbsup.gif
Cheers.