Water and corruption

kannot

Water has been erratic around here for sometime due to the drought, I have my own supply but plan to expand my trees somewhat.

The village water ran out about 5 days ago now, it comes from a crappy pond about 800 metres away is unfiltered and anything can come down the pipe its pretty awful.

About 6 months ago not more than 300 metres from where I live they built a big dam, Makros going day and night, good I thought they are actually doing something to plan for next year.

After about 3 weeks of makros digging they finally stopped.

I went down to have a look, it was poorly done but before I knew it 1 week later they started again??? demolished the front "dam" part and started extending it to twice the size............wow i thought they really are planning ahead now.

I called the Wife today and asked her to ask the head of village is that new dam and reservoir going to be for our village............headman sort of laughed in an uncomfortable way.............YES.............it "was"

Seems they got 2.4 million baht to build the thing, no one surveyed the ground which here is VERY rocky and after blowing all the 2.4 million laying the new pipes from the dam have declared it unusable as too many rocks in there to do it properly so there it sits empty and useless

Apparently a lot of corruption has gone on in its construction Ill get a photo tomorrow.

I suggested we call the corruption hotline but the Wife says they will say Farang make trouble............Thailand runs on FEAR

Construction and corruption.... the same concept..look at the many projects that after going on....stopped.. out of money? Slush fund gone.. interesting to see this at universities

Dont worry I full intend to get this reported and then ask for follow ups

Tried uploading photos but NOTE TO MODS uploader does not work at the moment??

Edited by kannot

How much you think the kickback was which the village headman received from the constructioncompany ? This ofcourse if he did not own said company.

I dont think ( but dont know for sure) this is the case, but i do know the surveying co. and the construction Co. are one and the same...... so who approved this location? 2.4 million down the pan and no investigation.

Corruption? I can top that... Farlangs do it better LOL

Early estimates are that the rate manipulation scandal cost US states, counties, and local governments at least $6 billion in fraudulent interest payments, above $4 billion that state and local governments have already had to spend to unwind their positions exposed to rate manipulation.[53]An increasingly smaller set of banks are participating in setting the Libor, calling into question its future as a benchmark standard, but without any viable alternative to replace it.[54]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_scandal

And...

The monetary losses caused by manipulation of the forex market has been estimated to represent $11.5 billions-a-year for Britain’s 20.7 million pension holders alone (£7.5B/year).[15][not in citation given]The manipulations affected customers all around the world, for over a decade. The manipulations' overall estimated cost is not yet fully known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forex_scandal

Corruption, LOL "Yanks and Limeys wrote the book." I could go on. Call up and report them...cheesy.gif

And least we forget... Please stop bashing poor Thai people...wai2.gif

Most people think that the big bank bailout was the $700 billion that the treasury department used to save the banks during the financial crash in September of 2008. But this is a long way from the truth because the bailout is still ongoing. The Special Inspector General for TARP summary of the bailout says that the total commitment of government is $16.8 trillion dollars with the $4.6 trillion already paid out. Yes, it was trillions not billions and the banks are now larger and still too big to fail. But it isn’t just the government bailout money that tells the story of the bailout. This is a story about lies, cheating, and a multi-faceted corruption which was often criminal.

Most people think that the big bank bailout was the $700 billion that the treasury department used to save the banks during the financial crash in September of 2008. But this is a long way from the truth because the bailout is still ongoing. The Special Inspector General for TARP summary of the bailout says that the total commitment of government is $16.8 trillion dollars with the $4.6 trillion already paid out. Yes, it was trillions not billions and the banks are now larger and still too big to fail. But it isn’t just the government bailout money that tells the story of the bailout. This is a story about lies, cheating, and a multi-faceted corruption which was often criminal.

and wt....f has that got to do with a dam that was constructed?

Nothing but it has everything to do with accusing Thais of being so corrupt. What are we talking about $50,000 dollars in question. That's wt....f.

Nothing but it has everything to do with accusing Thais of being so corrupt. What are we talking about $50,000 dollars in question. That's wt....f.

wow so anywhere thats more corrupt must be mentioned, Ill bear it in mind for all future answers.

wow so anywhere thats more corrupt must be mentioned, Ill bear it in mind for all future answers.

Indeed. See that you do...

Indeed. See that you do...

Hope you are taking the pish........

I see you already replied to the corruption thread in the Home Country forum otherwise I was going to suggest maybe you miss-posted in error.........

Many of us have "marvelled" at kannot's travails of village life especially recently regarding the water issue. This is just a further "episode".......clap2.gif

Is the OP peed off due to the fact that his "expert" civil engineering skills were not employed ?

I wonder what his "qualifications" are ?

coffee1.gifu obviously have more time than sense, a 3 year old could have built it better, pipes cockeyed taps cockeyed concrete laid with bare hands by the look of it................doesnt take much engineering skills to notice that

Edited by kannot

Is the OP peed off due to the fact that his "expert" civil engineering skills were not employed ?

Well the title of the thread is Water and Corruption. I focused on the Corruption accusation. It's everywhere but it's just so massive in the US, I'm American, as I illustrated.

In addition I come from a family of builders. Mr Father and Grand father were builders. As a young man we did custom beach front homes to tract developments, to later "high rise" in NYC as well as off grid rural projects. I later went on to practice medicine.

Some design flaws are obvious from the pictures of the dam. Undersized intake feed, undersized culverts, (maybe just add one more) insufficient bank reinforcement etc. Just from what I could see.

Without knowing all the details, I think the problem could be easily corrected by laying up some reservoir liner on the banks. Then covering it with "36" & better" rip rap stone on both sides.

PVC is cheap just put in a bigger pipe starting at a well designed feed basin that can easily be cleaned.

And pray for rain... ;)

Well the title of the thread is Water and Corruption. I focused on the Corruption accusation. It's everywhere but it's just so massive in the US, I'm American, as I illustrated.

In addition I come from a family of builders. Mr Father and Grand father were builders. As a young man we did custom beach front homes to tract developments, to later "high rise" in NYC as well as off grid rural projects. I later went on to practice medicine.

Some design flaws are obvious from the pictures of the dam. Undersized intake feed, undersized culverts, (maybe just add one more) insufficient bank reinforcement etc. Just from what I could see.

Without knowing all the details, I think the problem could be easily corrected by laying up some reservoir liner on the banks. Then covering it with "36" & better" rip rap stone on both sides.

PVC is cheap just put in a bigger pipe starting at a well designed feed basin that can easily be cleaned.

And pray for rain... ;)

Typical, they get money from the Thai government BKK and then they blow it all on corruption and blame all their troubles later of course on the government. Not the local leaders of course. Seems like a good plan to keep the local populace unhappy.

Not exactly corruption but our village is down to its last drop of water

However the pipe to our house is spraying water high into the air (when there is sufficient pressure) and has been for 3 months despite repeated requests to the muppets in charge the leak has not been repaired.

Basically they are too damn idle and tight to want to repair it, my Mrs says they are hoping we do it in the end

The woman who collected the money (headman/water guys wife) yesterday was taken to shown the leak she grunted like a pig and that was it.

Like i said their arrogance is only matched by their ignorance

Not exactly corruption but our village is down to its last drop of water

However the pipe to our house is spraying water high into the air (when there is sufficient pressure) and has been for 3 months despite repeated requests to the muppets in charge the leak has not been repaired.

Basically they are too damn idle and tight to want to repair it, my Mrs says they are hoping we do it in the end

The woman who collected the money (headman/water guys wife) yesterday was taken to shown the leak she grunted like a pig and that was it.

Like i said their arrogance is only matched by their ignorance

Dont worry the minute you start to fix it either someone will lose face and appear to fix it or someone will moan like hell its "not your job" etc