Tiger Temple closure raises job concern for staff and employees

webfact

Tiger Temple closure raises job concern for staff and employees

152_tiger-temple-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- As officials from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation continued to relocate tigers from the well-known Tiger Temple in Saiyok district of Kanchanaburi province today to new homes in neighbouring Ratchaburi province, rising concern of losing jobs at this famous tourist attraction is emerging among staff and employees at the temple.

Some said they might lose the job at the Tiger Temple forever after having worked here over a decade.

They said after all tigers are removed, no tourists will come and they will be left jobless.

At present, they sell entrance tickets, sell merchandises and souvenirs at the temple.

Officials earlier said they could relocate all 137 big cats within a week.

Yesterday, a team of veterinarians tranquilized 11 tigers before removing them to cages and brought to two wildlife breeding centres in Ratchaburi.

But the deputy director general Adisorn Nuchdamrong of the Department assured that Tiger Temple could become a zoo if it meets necessary qualifications.

He said if Wat Pa Luang Ta Mahtemple or the Tiger Temple would continue setting up the zoo under the supervision of the Tiger Temple Company Ltd, they can request directly to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation.

He also saud even though the temple can no longer keep the tigers, tourists can still go there to make merit.

And if the zoo is successfully set up, the temple can submit petition to the DNP in order to keep the tigers, he said.

But today, the temple is closed to tourist visits to facilitate the relocation.

According to earlier report, the company was estimated to generate about 100 million baht a year from tourists.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165566

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-01

I imagine it is hard to find another job clubbing baby tigers to death?

KANCHANABURI — At least 40 dead tiger cubs were discovered this morning inside the controversial Tiger Temple.
Rows of cubs’ bodies that look freshly killed are lined up in photos, as reports of other disturbing discoveries of other parts of animals, including some protected species, are made.

KANCHANABURI — At least 40 dead tiger cubs were discovered this morning inside the controversial Tiger Temple.

Rows of cubs’ bodies that look freshly killed are lined up in photos, as reports of other disturbing discoveries of other parts of animals, including some protected species, are made.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1464757648&typecate=06&section=

post-108400-14647611377173_thumb.jpgIn addition to money from suckering-in the tourists, evidently a handsome income from exporting bodies of endangered species for Chinese "medicinal" purposes.

Despite all my Thai and foreign friends who pressured me over the years to visit this tragic circus with them, glad I held my ground. But disappointed many ignored my advice. Freak shows such as these drugged/abused animals are irresistible magnets.

Edited by Fookhaht

Indeed, and let's hope that this puts to rest once and for all any chance of that 'temple' being granted the right/license to operate a zoo.

I've been to Pattaya zoo and was astounded to see bears in tiny cages, elephants mentally destroyed and chained up, for the lovely people of Thailand treating animals like this is the norm.

Generally, zoos in Asia are depressing places, with at least one exception however--Taipei, Taiwan's zoo. Expansive, environmentally-appropriate habitats for animals. Covers the whole side of a wide mountain ridge, and takes a full day to enjoy it.

In fact, the animals roam so free, humans get the feeling that they themselves are really the restricted/caged animal in this zoo.

Refreshingly appropriate.

Nobody seems to worry about the thousand odd that has or will be laid off at Phichit Goldmine , a company that spent hundreds of millions of dollars in Thailand over the last two decades, a substantial of that amount due to government incompetence and nobody seems to care about all the subcontractors in the area now without any work , all this because of a Prayut government initiative just worry about a couple people at a temple........................................coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

I've been to Pattaya zoo and was astounded to see bears in tiny cages, elephants mentally destroyed and chained up, for the lovely people of Thailand treating animals like this is the norm.

Generally, zoos in Asia are depressing places, with at least one exception however--Taipei, Taiwan's zoo. Expansive, environmentally-appropriate habitats for animals. Covers the whole side of a wide mountain ridge, and takes a full day to enjoy it.

In fact, the animals roam so free, humans get the feeling that they themselves are really the restricted/caged animal in this zoo.

That's the new trend , so people can see them in their natural state or as close as , over the last 2 decades OZ zoo's are all like that or try to be, Singapore zoo is ok.

Horrible Discovery in Tiger Temple: Dozens of Dead Tiger Kittens (Photos)
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14647576481464757696l.jpg
Dead tiger cubs, deer horns, a bull head are displayed Wednesday at the Tiger Temple.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921769-horrible-discovery-in-tiger-temple-dozens-of-dead-tiger-kittens/

These people seriously expect us to feel sorry for them after all that has happened to those poor tigers? They truly have no clue. it's this type of ignorant self absorption that worries me most about Thailand. sad.png

That's the new trend , so people can see them in their natural state or as close as , over the last 2 decades OZ zoo's are all like that or try to be, Singapore zoo is ok.
The trend got its start in the mid-80's (30+ years ago) in the USA at places like the famous San Diego Zoo and Animal Kingdom near Universal Studios in Florida.

What a letdown coming to Asia and seeing zoos stuck back in the 1950's--which I also remember.

So now it is about job losses. Grasping at straws. Same argument (if it could be called that) could be used to stop arresting drug dealers (they do that from time to time I hear). Drug dealers hire "mules", folks to make the drugs, payments to various authorities, distribution network, etc etc which all stimulate economy. Better luck next time.....

Nobody seems to worry about the thousand odd that has or will be laid off at Phichit Goldmine , a company that spent hundreds of millions of dollars in Thailand over the last two decades, a substantial of that amount due to government incompetence and nobody seems to care about all the subcontractors in the area now without any work , all this because of a Prayut government initiative just worry about a couple people at a temple........................................coffee1.gif

You have already given the answer why with regards to the mine. It is because those workers are "subcontractors"

Confiscate the millions of the temple. Give the employees (not monks!) 2 months of salary (18.000thb) and a bag of rice.

Invest rest of millions in wildlife protection but make sure a NON-thai overlooks the funding or some mia noi will soon drive a new benz coffee1.gif

Case closed.