Low Water Pressure

Gonzo the Face

I know that there have been some comments made about the low water presssure or lack of water to the south side of the city, like in the Hang Dong area. Pretty much this seems to be the fault of, or at least they are getting the blame, of Night Safari and the Expo.

Does this effect other areas of the city also, does anyone know. I have been on low pressure now for the second day. Intermittent on and offs of city water.

Anyone else effected by this . I am along the river and towards the North.

Gonzo

I know that there have been some comments made about the low water presssure or lack of water to the south side of the city, like in the Hang Dong area. Pretty much this seems to be the fault of, or at least they are getting the blame, of Night Safari and the Expo.

Does this effect other areas of the city also, does anyone know. I have been on low pressure now for the second day. Intermittent on and offs of city water.

Gonzo

I've noticed lots more large active fountains in the moat during the past few days. Very pretty, but this too may affect the city's water pressure. We need a good civil engineer to tell us if in fact these things would cause problems to the various piping grids. Anyone here with an engineering background?

(Please, no replies telling us how we are trying to rip off the water, or plan some scheme to sell more bottled water by causing a fear of rising prices.)

The Fly Fisherman

Edited by Physherman

Gonzo

I've noticed lots more large active fountains in the moat during the past few days. Very pretty, but this too may affect the city's water pressure. We need a good civil engineer to tell us if in fact these things would cause problems to the various piping grids. Anyone here with an engineering background?

(Please, no replies telling us how we are trying to rip off the water, or plan some scheme to sell more bottled water by causing a fear of rising prices.)

The Fly Fisherman

Coming from a background in heavy / civil construction (but not a civil engineer per se, indeed some would say rather uncivil at times) I would think that the water that is used in these fountains is just being recirculated i.e. it is water from the klong (going round and round) rather than from the city's water reticulation system. Therefore the fountains should not be having any effect on water pressure available for domestic and other users.

In another post / thread 'p1p' noted that it was underground (or artesian) water in his area that was being affected.

Myself, I live in an apartment which has supply tanks on top therefore have not been affected (to date)

I would like to report a.......

MIRACLE

This morning, Saturday, I got someone to answer the telephone at the water dept..... !!!!!

I agree with a poster Earl O, that this is also the 3rd day for me.... The little girl at the Water Department told me they were changing a " *7%&^6^$#*%$" and we should have water pressure and service back sometime this afternoon...

I didn't recognize the Thai word she used so if someone with better Thai would like to call the number at the repair is 053-233-479. Good Luck to us all this afternoon

Gonzo

I would think that the water that is used in these fountains is just being recirculated i.e. it is water from the klong (going round and round) rather than from the city's water reticulation system.

You are correct, they are used as aerators.

Well T I T

Welcome to a new day..... Miracles here are only for the day only....

The water pressure is off again...

They say that a main is broken somewhere... but I wonder, knowing the Thai way of just say something ,,,,, nobody will doubt you...

Got me thinking about the Expo and Night Safari thing again.....

With a broken main, how does it work fine at night, but the next day the main is broken yet again... for a couple days running ?????

:D:o

For less than 10,000 baht, you can have a large tank and a water pump, designed to keep the pressure high, automatically...

Got that in place and at a considerably higher price, unfortunately, its this tank that has been going dry as you do not know the city has shut off the water until the tank is dry....

For less than 10,000 baht, you can have a large tank and a water pump, designed to keep the pressure high, automatically...

Got that in place and at a considerably higher price, unfortunately, its this tank that has been going dry as you do not know the city has shut off the water until the tank is dry....

Sounds like you need to add a float switch to it with a warning light when it is getting low.

~

Excellent responses and appropriate as I am getting ready to install an emergency supply tank and pump.

The problem I have experienced in several rental houses is that there is no way to know that the water supply is off which would be nice to know before you run completely out which defeats the purpose of an emergency tank. And I don't think that a simple warning light will work unless you plan to check it every few hours or have it blow a loud horn.

My ideal would be that when the main supply goes down, so does my pump and I would have to physically go out and switch to emergency mode and therefore know that I must seriously conserve until the mains are restored.

Are any of you engineers (god help us) and know how to set this up? I had a Thai company come out one time to do this and after MANY hours of totally reworking all of the pipes, rigged the system to feed only itself, not the house... :o

Go figure...

~

Are any of you engineers (god help us) and know how to set this up?

I'm an engineer but electrical not mechanical. I do manage a large system that uses several water pumps in a closed loop for cooling power systems. After a couple of pump failures and over temping equipment due to lack of water I had pressure switches installed wired to an alarm panel in the control room. A similar thing could be done for you.

Put the pressure switch between the mains and the pump and connect to a visual (lamp) and audible (similar to the UPS beeper) in the house. When the water pressure drops below the set point on the pressure switch the alarm goes off. Could also add a float switch to the same alarm system to give both indications. The pressure switches are easy to get and not too expensive.

//edit -Forgot to add, the switch could also connect to a relay that then supplies AC to the pump. Pressure low or none, the pump power is removed.

This problem of low pressure is starting to get out of hand.....

Yesterday the Water Dept assured me someone would be out to check ,,,,,, of course never showed...

Last night the water was on again.

This morning its off again.... but..... the guy at the water co today said there was no broken main, but rather that there were a lot of people in Chiang Mai now for the Expo and the water pressure was very very low as many people were using water in the morning and during the day...

I also notice that the TOT ADSL is now [after maybe 4-5 moderately good days] starting to "Cannot find the Server" again.. Maybe the same "many people" are using the internet while showering....

Just knowing how the planning goes in this part of the world, I think it is very possible that this may be in great part due to the Expo. If this is the case, what can we expect when we get to the Christmas/New Holiday periods...

What I would like to know is if any members in other parts of the city are experiencing low or no water pressure? The Expo surely cannot only cause it in this part of the city...

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

~

Excellent responses and appropriate as I am getting ready to install an emergency supply tank and pump.

The problem I have experienced in several rental houses is that there is no way to know that the water supply is off which would be nice to know before you run completely out which defeats the purpose of an emergency tank. And I don't think that a simple warning light will work unless you plan to check it every few hours or have it blow a loud horn.

My ideal would be that when the main supply goes down, so does my pump and I would have to physically go out and switch to emergency mode and therefore know that I must seriously conserve until the mains are restored.

Are any of you engineers (god help us) and know how to set this up? I had a Thai company come out one time to do this and after MANY hours of totally reworking all of the pipes, rigged the system to feed only itself, not the house... :o

Go figure...

Dustoff

Simple solution......

Go to HomePro and purchase a toilet bowl float. Install this float at the top of the water tank. Plumb the incoming city water supply to the float. Whenever the water drops the float valve opens and remains open until the water reaches a height sufficient to close the valve. Same as your toilet bowl.

No electricity involved..............

Cost? Less than 1000 baht!

:D

Edited by Diablo Bob

What I would like to know is if any members in other parts of the city are experiencing low or no water pressure? The Expo surely cannot only cause it in this part of the city...

Nothing chanced around here (inner moat area). Our first floor has only the public pressure to handle water flow - everything works fine (at least between 8 AM through 2 AM). Tank on second floor has no problem staying full (no pump between public pipe and tank).

Gonzo

I spent 6 years on Rachadamnoen rd. The pressure has always been low and it was only getting worse year after year. It was quite expensive too : 16 bahts a cubic meter.

3 years ago, I moved to Amphur Saraphi. There, I have all the water I need and it costs only 4 bahts a cubic meter.

The problem I have experienced in several rental houses is that there is no way to know that the water supply is off which would be nice to know before you run completely out which defeats the purpose of an emergency tank.

Simple solution......

Go to HomePro and purchase a toilet bowl float. Install this float at the top of the water tank. Plumb the incoming city water supply to the float. Whenever the water drops the float valve opens and remains open until the water reaches a height sufficient to close the valve. Same as your toilet bowl.

That's how these tanks are always with a filled (with a float valve). The problem is that when the city water is off, there's no way of knowing that one's water tank is being depleted without that water being replaced.

That's how these tanks are always with a filled (with a float valve). The problem is that when the city water is off, there's no way of knowing that one's water tank is being depleted without that water being replaced.

Correct.

To be polite to the OP, here in Ban Wang Tan (off Hangdong Rd a km south of Lotus) the water pressure has been quite variable for the past few weeks which seems to coincide with the opening of the horticultural show.

Continuing the tank/pump thoughts, water is most important in our lives to be sure. I have drinking water delivered and try to always have at least 3 weeks' supply on hand. As to an emergency tank, I have decided that I will likely install a tank but put an electrical switch in the house to turn the pump on when the pressure is very low or the mains are off. That way we will know when the water is off by the lack of feed into the house and turning the pump on manually will make us be careful about how much we use since there is no way to know when it will be back on again.

Another potential problem is that sometimes the water and electricity go off together as in a major storm (seismic event, alien invasion, etc). Altho we can still access the tank with a bucket to get water with which to bathe and flush away our waste, I am considering putting the tank well above the ground so we can have at least moderate gravity-feed. I just wish that the tanks available weren't so UGLY! I wonder if someone makes large flat tanks that can be installed in an attic... (visions of being crushed while watching the Tonight Show...) :o

I wonder if someone makes large flat tanks that can be installed in an attic... (visions of being crushed while watching the Tonight Show...) :o

The solar water guys often install their tanks in the attic, perhaps one of that kind of tank might fit if you lay it down. Put on top of an interior wall or post would give it enough support, probably ??

The problem I have experienced in several rental houses is that there is no way to know that the water supply is off which would be nice to know before you run completely out which defeats the purpose of an emergency tank.

Simple solution......

I must be missing something.........

If the water is OFF, you wouldn't be replenishing any water anyway, you would be depleting the tank as you use water.

If you want to see how much water is in the tank, why not put in an external site tube? This is simple enough, just drill a hole at the bottom and the top, put in a tap, attach 90 degree elbows and plastic tubing between the elbows......

If the water is OFF,

The underlying problem is that the city water is off, and you don't know or don't have an easy way of knowing that the water is off. That is the basic problem. One needs a method with which to tell that the city water is off and that they should be conserving water in the tank. Just knowing initially that the city water is off is of more importance than measuring how much water remains in the tank.

One needs a method with which to tell that the city water is off and that they should be conserving water in the tank.

How about putting a pressure switch in the pipe between the city meter and the tank? They are common and I have one in use. The switch turns something on if the pressure is to low, in my case it is a pump but in your case it could be a light, bell or buzzer alarm. The switch also turns it off when the pressure is back up. The switches are adjustable for the on and off levels and cost about 300B. Plus some wireing to the alarm.

One needs a method with which to tell that the city water is off and that they should be conserving water in the tank.

How about putting a pressure switch in the pipe between the city meter and the tank?

Yes, something like that would solve the problem at-hand.

How about putting a pressure switch in the pipe between the city meter and the tank?

Yes, something like that would solve the problem at-hand.

Ok, It took a while, NOW I think I understand the problem........

Digital flow/pressure meter, hooks inline and you program it to send a warning If/When the pressure falls below a set PSI. The only problem that I can see is that these are normally manufactured for commercial use and are to large for the typical feed lines into a house.

Let me check with my mechanical engineer tomorrow and see if there is a cheap down and dirty way to accomplish this......

The only problem that I can see is that these are normally manufactured for commercial use and are to large for the typical feed lines into a house.

Let me check with my mechanical engineer tomorrow and see if there is a cheap down and dirty way to accomplish this......

As I mentioned in my previous post about putting in a pressure switch the ones we used are only a couple of centimeters diameter on the feeds and has a screwdriver set point. Of course this is very basic and not digital but will do the job and inexpensive. Another poster mentioned about 300 Baht which sounds right.

The only problem that I can see is that these are normally manufactured for commercial use and are to large for the typical feed lines into a house...

The one I have threads into a 1/2 inch pipe thread and is less than 4"x3"x3". Pump shops have them. I got a replacement (after 10 years with the original) at a building supply in Mae Joe but not all building supply's would carry them.

Good luck.

The only problem that I can see is that these are normally manufactured for commercial use and are to large for the typical feed lines into a house...

The one I have threads into a 1/2 inch pipe thread and is less than 4"x3"x3". Pump shops have them. I got a replacement (after 10 years with the original) at a building supply in Mae Joe but not all building supply's would carry them.

Good luck.

Mongoose, If I am correct, the switch you are talking about measures the line pressure in the loop after the pump. When you flush the toilet, pressure drops and the pump re pressurizes the loop.

What Dustoff is looking for is something to measure the feed loop into the pump.

Edited by Diablo Bob