Three extensions and out; update retirement at Udon Thani

Jomtien/Pattaya extensions are indefinite, if you meet the requirements.

What are the requirements? ..for extension.. I have OA multi entry.. have been getting 2 years by doing border run just before end of first year .. then renewing in OZ.. can I just get another extension? .. what documentation is required.. if you can help.. Thanks..

An extension of stay is easily obtained by application to an immigration office.

If you have an O/A visa you would apply during the last 30 days of your 2nd years stay.

You would need to evidence 800K Bht in a Thai Bank or certified (by your Embassy) evidence of a monthly income of 65K Bht. It is possible that proof of address will also be required.

What are the requirements? ..for extension.. I have OA multi entry.. have been getting 2 years by doing border run just before end of first year .. then renewing in OZ.. can I just get another extension? .. what documentation is required.. if you can help.. Thanks..
You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay in the last 30 (maybe 45) days of you current permit to stay (entry). You need 800K in a Thai bank for at least 60 days or a certified (by your embassy) income of 65K pm or a combination of the two. If you can satisfy the financial requirements the rest is easy.

Possibly about OP not understanding how an O A works. It helps to really understand what's in your passport.

Very true !!

Unfortunately many (most) do not have a clue about what is in their passport as is evidenced here on most days of the week !

My O-A was routinely extended for years until it wasn't last year. My current non-O is being extended and is red-stamped RETIREMENT.

Can you scan and post an image of this Extended " O" ?

Visas are never extended.

A stamped "Retirement" is only an indication of why an extension(which is not a visa) was granted

Further there is no limit on the number of extensions of stay. As long as the requirements are met an extension will be issued.

I have had nine extension for retirement on my initial O-imm visa--well, that is not true, I left once and did not obtain a re-entry, so I has to redo the O-imm, but that was 5 or 6 years ago. The visas are not extended, but they are kept active as your stay is extended each year, if you meet the criteria.

My O-A was routinely extended for years until it wasn't last year. My current non-O is being extended and is red-stamped RETIREMENT.

A stamped "Retirement" is only an indication of why an extension(which is not a visa) was granted

Further there is no limit on the number of extensions of stay. As long as the requirements are met an extension will be issued.

I have had nine extension for retirement on my initial O-imm visa--well, that is not true, I left once and did not obtain a re-entry, so I has to redo the O-imm, but that was 5 or 6 years ago. The visas are not extended, but they are kept active as your stay is extended each year, if you meet the criteria.

IF the visa is "active" then you can come and go as you please ? There would be no need for re-entry permits if you had an "active", valid Visa so why did you need to re-do the Visa ?

I completed my retirement extension at Phitsanulok recently, and noticed the Immigration officer noted down how many extensions I have had, which was 9, without leaving the country. No idea why they have suddenly started counting them, they've never down it before, to my knowledge.

I received my third retirement extension at Udon this last afternoon. Based on a non imm O visa from UK. All completely

routine with no comments from the officer. However on seeing this thread I rechecked my passport and see that she went

back and numbered the previous extensions as well as the new one. When I return for the final stamp will try and find if

any significance.

I completed my retirement extension at Phitsanulok recently, and noticed the Immigration officer noted down how many extensions I have had, which was 9, without leaving the country. No idea why they have suddenly started counting them, they've never down it before, to my knowledge.

I received my third retirement extension at Udon this last afternoon. Based on a non imm O visa from UK. All completely

routine with no comments from the officer. However on seeing this thread I rechecked my passport and see that she went

back and numbered the previous extensions as well as the new one. When I return for the final stamp will try and find if

any significance.

Interesting. I have just checked my passport and my extensions are defiantly not numbered .

Please let us know if you manage to obtain an explanation for this seemingly 'odd' and rather pointless exercise .

Yesterday , I visited Udon Thani Immigration to have my third permission to stay ( retirement) stamped in my passport.

I had applied for this extension EARLY , I applied in April ---the current permission to stay was valid until 5th May but I applied early as I thought that I would need to do a trip to Australia in late April which in the end didnt happen).

However , when I applied early in April , I was given an UNDER CONSIDERATION stamp ( for permission to stay based on RETIREMENT) and told to return on 5th June which was actually 2 MONTHS from when I applied for the new permission to stay - but one month after my current permission to stay expired or should I say ....1 month of under consideration after my previous permission to stay expired.

There was certainly no mention of a limit on re-newals of permission to stay

and ALL three of my permissions to stay have been "numbered" when obtained ( since 2014 when I changed from non Imm "O"visa to the current permissions to stay)

Edited by novo58
  • Like 1

I would very much like to have made a mistake which I could then correct. I have mobility issues and other challenges which make leaving Thailand difficult and expensive. I am very detail-oriented in meeting the requirements and was receiving annual extensions without problems until last year. As said things change and can change back.

I have no idea what a Non-OA retirement visa is, but if it exists it may have different requirements from the ordinary Non-O retirement visa, which I have. I have done 17 extensions and am about to do the 18th with no hassle at all as long as the qualifying money remains in the bank account.

Ok, back to this maximum 3 extensions thing, because some are saying "bulls##t", there is no such rule."

Are there any written rules that state, for example, that for a non ED visa, after 1 year you have to get another one?

Because I don't believe there are, so they can make up their own rules as they wish. Point being, I would wait for more reports to see if it becomes a general thing rather than calling it nonsense.

This is the written rule for extensions based upon attending a school from clause 2.9 of police order 327/2557.

"(2) In case of non-formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.

Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission ***"

• Like 1

I'm on year 3 at the moment in Udon, athough last week I saw someone's passport with a Non 'O' and 14 years worth of extensions of stay from Udon.

There must be someone trying it on with you for whatever reason.

edit: Just looked at the photocopy I have and it's 16 years, not 14.

"... last week I saw someone's passport with a Non 'O' and 14 years worth of extensions of stay from Udon."

Since visas are not transferred when a new passport is issued, are you saying this person had an actual visa in a single passport that was over 14 or 16 years old and contained all those extensions? Extensions are extensions of permission to stay, not extensions of visas.

Although the O/P says he was told there were a limited number of annual extensions allowed before he needed to obtain a new visa, I expect there's something missing from the story.

Yesterday I went to apply for a one-year extension of stay based on the non-O

The basis for an extension is retirement, marriage to a Thai, to visit wife, etc. It is not based on a long expired visa.

I had no confidence that they would grant an extension this time so I applied a week early.

There had to be some reason why you lacked confidence that something routinely done, would not be done for you. Waiting until the "last minute" to apply wouldn't have left much time to correct a problem if it existed.

The visa your extensions are based on is transfered, mine was done a year and a half ago no problem

IF the visa is "active" then you can come and go as you please ? There would be no need for re-entry permits if you had an "active", valid Visa so why did you need to re-do the Visa ?

Weird thread this and what I've read it seems to me there is a lot of misunderstanding among some posters.

My Maesot immigration office have always been helpful and I have had no problem in 11 years of extensions.

With my original non 'O' visa being stamped with a 1 year extension I need a re-entry permit if I want to leave Thailand and come back and I have to come back before that 1 year extension expires or come back with a new 'O' visa.

Edited by Kwasaki

Kwasaki

You are adding to the confusion and misunderstanding ! Your original "O" visa was not stamped with a one year extension but if by some strange chance it was can you scan and post an image of this over-stamped visa ?

• Like 1

I would very much like to have made a mistake which I could then correct. I have mobility issues and other challenges which make leaving Thailand difficult and expensive. I am very detail-oriented in meeting the requirements and was receiving annual extensions without problems until last year. As said things change and can change back.

I have no idea what a Non-OA retirement visa is, but if it exists it may have different requirements from the ordinary Non-O retirement visa, which I have. I have done 17 extensions and am about to do the 18th with no hassle at all as long as the qualifying money remains in the bank account.

The requirements to get a non 'O-A' visa are different to getting a non 'O' visa, but the requirements for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement are the same regardless of which visa was used to enter the country.

• Like 1

The only significance I can think of for numbering Visa extensions would be to be able to match the paperwork for that particular number on the extensionas they do keep the paperwork. In other words a number 5 extension would then have number 5 paperwork if someone wanted to make a check/audit.

This historical evidence is interesting.

However as Thai Consulates are drawing the line at three consecutive Tourist Visas and 6 Visa Exempt entries triggers and alarm - what's to stop some Immi in his office deciding to check on the number of "Retirement Extensions"?

Like the Wally whocame up with the "Social Media" form?

The only constant with Thai Immigration is Change - time will tell.

An extension of stay is easily obtained by application to an immigration office.

If you have an O/A visa you would apply during the last 30 days of your 2nd years stay.

You would need to evidence 800K Bht in a Thai Bank or certified (by your Embassy) evidence of a monthly income of 65K Bht. It is possible that proof of address will also be required.

. Bc

Kwasaki

You are adding to the confusion and misunderstanding ! Your original "O" visa was not stamped with a one year extension but if by some strange chance it was can you scan and post an image of this over-stamped visa ?

Forgive the typo and not making it clearer. blink.png

A page in my passport was stamped by Maesot Immigration with a 1 year extension immigration ink rubber stamp in the colour blue next to a page in my passport on which the 60 day non 'O' visa sticker was put on a page in my passport.

The 60 day non 'O' visa sticker on the page in my passport was also stamped with a immigration ink rubber stamp " used " in the colour red.

Kwasaki

A page in my passport was stamped by Maesot Immigration with a 1 year extension immigration ink rubber stamp in the colour blue next to a page in my passport on which the 60 day non 'O' visa sticker was put on a page in my passport.

The 60 day non 'O' visa sticker on the page in my passport was also stamped with a immigration ink rubber stamp " used " in the colour red.

A 60 day NON "O" visa ? ----------------are you sure about that ?

Kwasaki

A 60 day NON "O" visa ? ----------------are you sure about that ?

Apologies again 60 day was a previous visit visa ( " non immigration 'O' visa ) is 90 day mine was 92 days. blink.png

I have heard before that both Udon and Nai Khai are funny with their extension of stay rules. I just checked my last two passports. The first one has an extension from Mukdahan Immigration, one from Nakon Phanom, and 4 from Sakhon Nakon, the second has 2 from Sakhon Nakon, a total of 8, and none of them are numbered. The ninth will be next month and the third in my new passport. I hope there is no problem.