Cooking Steak For A Thai Family

rank stranger

Hello Xpert cooks,

I’m going to “meet the family” in a couple of weeks in Ratchaburi. My Thai girlfriend wants me to cook steak for her family, including her 80 year old mother. I’ve told her about the type of food I cook in the US, and she seems quite taken with the idea of my typical American bachelor cooking. Why on earth, I don’t know, but it probably has something to do with the novelty of it.

Anyway, she wants me to cook steak for her family. I’m a little bit leery of this because I suspect the typical American steak dinner isn’t going to be well received. So, I have a few questions for those familiar with Thai cooking.

What spices should I use? I usually just rub my steak with a little salt and pepper or maybe some garlic powder. This is probably a little bland for Thai tastes.

I don’t think I’m going to find a Weber charcoal grill at her mother’s house. My guess is that they’ll have some sort of small brazier for cooking over a wood fire, or maybe propane. If so, should I cut the steaks into small pieces? Do they use shish kebab sticks?

I like my steak medium rare. Will I need to cook the steak all the way through for her family. Will a little bit of red in the middle turn them off?

My girlfriend says we can buy steak at the Big C in Ratchaburi. Any ideas on what cuts they will have? Any suggestions?

Your help with making my first foray into cooking for a Thai family is most appreciated.

RS

My first suggestion would be not to cook individual steaks, but two or three to be sliced, and shared family style.This would be more familiar to them. I would serve rice and some vegetables as well.Dont worry about changing your spices...make it the way you do at home.

My Thai wife likes things very well done, I cant say if that is a trait, or personal preference.

Edited by pumpuiman

My first suggestion would be not to cook individual steaks, but two or three to be sliced, and shared family style.This would be more familiar to them. I would serve rice and some vegetables as well.Dont worry about changing your spices...make it the way you do at home.

My Thai wife likes things very well done, I cant say if that is a trait, or personal preference.

I grilled a steak once, a perfect medium rare. No one would try it, actually several people were disgusted by the fact that I was eating it "not cooked". I had far better success with chicken-fried pork covered in saute'd mushroom and onions. By far, the families favorite food I make is fried calamari. All very simple but exotic for Thais.

I grilled a steak once, a perfect medium rare. No one would try it, actually several people were disgusted by the fact that I was eating it "not cooked". I had far better success with chicken-fried pork covered in saute'd mushroom and onions. By far, the families favorite food I make is fried calamari. All very simple but exotic for Thais.

That was my wife's exact phrase..."not cooked"........perhaps it is a "Thai" thing to like well done meat. I wouldn't be surprised, with the lack of refrigeration in many Thai homes.

Edited by pumpuiman

I would say....Whatever you do, it shouldn't be too strong. If they are like typical thai family then "prik nampla" will be their prefered choice of sauce at the end. I doubt a 80 yrs old can chew a piece of steak, so make it very soft for her.

Caution: 5 family members = 5 steak knives....however no such thing as steak knife in typical thai family, only a real knife! So just watchout what you say :o

most steak like cuts of beef in Thailand are like shoe leather and inedible unless imported from elsewhere. Best thing to do is to find some local cuts of beef, grind them up and have the girlfriend make larb, a traditional thai cold salad dish using ground meat...add a little garnish dish of tomato catsup on the side and declare the result to be authentic falang bachelor cuisine.

(will go a lot easier on granny's choppers as well...)

There is good steak available from local beef in supermarkets. It may not be Kobe or have all the flavor of some imported beef but it can be tender.

I would suggest pepper steak and then slice thin/small as the Japanese do so knives are not required. And by all means do not leave it bloody. As said most local meat is sold fresh and requires full cooking to kill the bacteria.

That was my wife's exact phrase..."not cooked"........perhaps it is a "Thai" thing to like well done meat. I wouldn't be surprised, with the lack of refrigeration in many Thai homes.

Aren't Nam Tok and Laarp made prepared with rare meat?

I’m going to “meet the family” in a couple of weeks in Ratchaburi. My Thai girlfriend wants me to cook steak for her family, including her 80 year old mother.

How long are you staying for?

As tutsiwarrior said, the local meat can be quite tough. If you stick it in the freezer for a couple of days the formation of ice crystals act as a tenderiser, and that will give you a couple of days to get to grips with the family's tastes.

I agree with tutsi. Tough as shoe leather is complimentary compared to some that I have had. Laarp can be raw or cooked. I won't eat the raw version. The last time I was at the brother in law's place I watched them make laarp out of a free range chicken. One guy stripped the meat off the bones and four other guys sat there with meat cleavers and chopped, chopped and chopped a lot more. They added all the spices and ate it raw. Marinated strips of beef made like satay are pretty good off the charcoal grill. One of the tenderizers they use is just regular papaya. Does it actually work? I don't know but the beef was tender. I was going to buy a local steak and put it between a couple big slices of papaya overnight but since my wife won't eat beef, I forgot about it.

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm expected to cook the steak the day I arrive, so I won't be able to freeze it beforehand. It appears that it will have to be well done which means tough as shoe leather, so I'll need to marinate it. Any suggestions on a Thai marinade or how to assemble a marinade using local ingredients? I'll have access to the Big C in Ratchaburi so I'm hoping that some fairly decent beef will be available.

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm expected to cook the steak the day I arrive, so I won't be able to freeze it beforehand. It appears that it will have to be well done which means tough as shoe leather, so I'll need to marinate it. Any suggestions on a Thai marinade or how to assemble a marinade using local ingredients? I'll have access to the Big C in Ratchaburi so I'm hoping that some fairly decent beef will be available.

if you got to marinate get the GF to buy the meat before you arrive and marinate in the fridge 24 hrs before cooking. Useta be a Kikkoman brown cooking sauce that I used for marinating ribs and not bad but my local tescos don't carry it no more. Recently I've used a thai stir fry cooking sauce tha's not bad...sorta thick, cloudy and brown...for other marinade recipies do a search on BambinA in this food forum and check her suggestions.

if you luck out and find either aus or NZ beef then no marinating should be required...cook as you usually would in farangland...

There is good steak available from local beef in supermarkets. It may not be Kobe or have all the flavor of some imported beef but it can be tender.

I would suggest pepper steak and then slice thin/small as the Japanese do so knives are not required. And by all means do not leave it bloody. As said most local meat is sold fresh and requires full cooking to kill the bacteria.

Or better still,bring some steak with you.I would imagine that you can buy vacume packs of beef in the states.This will keep really well, and if it is aged should be very tender.just put the pack a few hours in the freezer before you leave.

As lop has said, cut thin with no blood would be perfect.

Or better still,bring some steak with you.I would imagine that you can buy vacume packs of beef in the states.This will keep really well, and if it is aged should be very tender.just put the pack a few hours in the freezer before you leave.

Beef in the states is rubbish, its all grey looking and tastes like cardboard.

Order it from australia, the best beef in the world.

Another revelation, we now know the location of Donz' taste buds.......... :o

Beef in the states is rubbish, its all grey looking and tastes like cardboard.

Marinate your beef in garlic and soy sauce and leave for about a day in the fridge.

Faaarken beautiful.

Add some (I know this borders heresy) beer to the marinade. Helps break down the meat.

Like others mentioned, the Thais I have cooked steak for always want some type of sauce, even A-1 if Thai sauce unavailable.

I've found that with most meats/roasts, including last nights bourbon, pepper glazed pork chops. The glaze was thick, and tasty (even my Thai fiance admitted it) but she reached for the sauces.

We used to get a cut called TriTip, barbacued and sliced diagonal.

Cook it medium well, slice, sprinkle with toasted rice powder and serve over a spicy thai salad.

There is a name for it?

Serve it as a side dish as they won't like anything you cook.

TriTip is still big here in California, but demand has now driven up the price.

I lived for a while on the east coast, and chefs, butchers, had no idea what Tri Tip was :o

i would love to put my best steak from canada (alberta) against yours any day, donz. not saying i'd win, perhaps you would, but we'd be guaranteed a good feed, at least. :o

I think that North Eastern Scottish beef would take the Pepsi challenge with any other country's beef. Mad cow and whatever never happened in the NE of Scotland.

I'd agree with Lop 3, Big C and Tesco now have perfectly acceptible steak, it tends to be a bit tougher then imported, a fillet here is about as tender as a sirloin back home. Don't buy anything lower quality than sirloin.

Thai beef from markets is like shoe leather.

Laab can be made from raw meat and blood "Laab Luad"

Nam Tok is usually made with BBQ meat.

I'd agreee with the people that said cook the steak and cut it up to serve, as for how to cook, tastes vary as they do in the west, my wife likes medium rare, brother-in-law- basicaly just warmed up and mother-in-law well done so we compromise and have it how I like it :o

Edited by RamdomChances

I'd agree with Lop 3, Big C and Tesco now have perfectly acceptible steak, it tends to be a bit tougher then imported, a fillet here is about as tender as a sirloin back home. Don't buy anything lower quality than sirloin.

Thai beef from markets is like shoe leather.

Laab can be made from raw meat and blood "Laab Luad"

Nam Tok is usually made with BBQ meat.

I'd agreee with the people that said cook the steak and cut it up to serve, as for how to cook, tastes vary as they do in the west, my wife likes medium rare, brother-in-law- basicaly just warmed up and mother-in-law well done so we compromise and have it how I like it :o

yeah...I got to admit that there are cuts of beef in tescos that weren't there before...but, I don't trust them as they have weird appellations like 'top rib end' ' beef knuckle' and etc....I just get 500 grams worth and grind it up...can't go wrong for chilli, bolognaise or meat loaf...I got my own grinder, btw, a high spec Sanyo, a must for any falang kitchen...also good for sausages, loads of grindable pork in the local market and sausage caseings...just add spices and bob's yer uncle...vastly superior to 7-11 hot dogs and most of the junk that you find at tescos...

you can get hand crank grinders in Chinatown in BKK but the sausage tube attachment may be hard to find...fuggeddabouted, when back in falangland find a grinder in the department store and hand carry back to Thailand...bought mine in Bahrain and carried it through customs at Don Muang...the dumbsheds didn't know that I was about to corrupt their local cuisine...

invest in a meat grinder...your quality of life in Thailand will improve immeasurably...

There is refrigeration but if they have Beer Chang it goes in first,and the leftovers get stored in a cabnite.See photos

post-14263-1163580110_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1163581138_thumb.jpg

Oh and back to the subject of steak.Try serving some koa laom and pla to with it.

post-14263-1163580653_thumb.jpg :o

Edited by blue eyes

Thai-French beef is prety good.

I took my Isaan missus to an Aussie barbie 8 years ago, the type where everybody brings their own beef, sausages (marinaded/non marinaded). My missus ate with no comments.

The next day we went shopping and she bought some beef and told me she would make bbq beef cos the stuff we ate at the barbie was mai aloi!

She marinaded the beef in oyster sauce and fish sauce. Of course it was fantastic and made our Aussie barbie seem bland. Oh yes, she cooked it to a crisp, Thai style.