PM Prayut says no to rice pledging scheme

webfact

PM says no to rice pledging scheme

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FqvHo2TAWcmkK5ibXQHYcpT

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha made it clear on Thursday that his government would not introduce rice pledging scheme to help farmers but would rather resort to funding to assist them.

The prime minister presided over an award presentation ceremony held at the Government House for outstanding farmers ahead of the Rice and National Farmers Day due on Sunday. Altogether 23 outstanding farmers were awarded.

He said that he would not use the rice pledging scheme to prop up paddy prices because he didn’t want to see farmers suffer again. Instead, he said a funding scheme would be introduced to help the farmers.

However, he urged farmers to focus on producing quality rice instead of mass-producing rice of poor quality.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165820

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-03

"However, he urged farmers to focus on producing quality rice instead of mass-producing rice of poor quality."

That sounds similar to the intention of attracting quality tourists rather than no-spending mass tourists. And we all know how that worked out...

Good to see that the PM doesn't fall into the usual trap of ' helping the poor farmers ' fiasco and that

he learned the lesson from his predecessor who squanders zillions on those farmers, and guess what.

they're still the same poor farmers as they were years ago and will be for generations to come, as they

keep doing the same mistakes over and over again hoping for different outcomes......

Good to see that the PM doesn't fall into the usual trap of ' helping the poor farmers ' fiasco and that

he learned the lesson from his predecessor who squanders zillions on those farmers, and guess what.

they're still the same poor farmers as they were years ago and will be for generations to come, as they

keep doing the same mistakes over and over again hoping for different outcomes......

Quote:

"He would rather resort to funding to assist them."

Seems to me he's fallen into the usual trap.

What would be the point in a new rice pledging scheme?

Farmers will still be poor, will still plant the same old seed on the same land, with the same chemical fertilizer.

My wifes family still do the same things that they did in grandpas day.

I tried before my accident to get them to change things, get new seed.

Stop ploughing the rice in at different depths, buy a rotovator, so all the seed would be at the same depth.

Would they listen to a stupid farang NO WAY.

Same old same old, then moaning we cannot make money, rice no good, yet they will not change anything.

Edited by colinneil

Stop ploughing the rice in at different depths, buy a rotovator, so all the seed would be at the same depth.

Same old same old, then moaning we cannot make money, rice no good, yet they will not change anything.

I wouldn't have listened to you either, or were you are rice farmer back home before?

Go work on the outside of your house in any European country and every neighbor that walks by will give you some tips on how to do it better. But none of them have the skills.

Instead of commenting you should have bought a tiny piece of land, hired some labor (or do it yourself), and SHOW them how it is done better.

If you yield better crops at a lower cost I am sure they would be standing in line to get your advice.

Edited by Bob12345

So helping the poor rubber farmers by pledging to buy at premium prices is ok by you?

Farming in Thailand seems to be a loss leader, how can you make money selling something for 10k a tonne, if your lucky.

It's because the brand has been destroyed

There is no question that prior to this most recent fiasco with the government trying to buy votes that Thai Hom Mali rice was concedered the best rice in the world , now many people in Asia and the world will not buy it even if they staple the " New Crop " label to the bag.

Total BS. Guess its a sad attempt to lash out to the previous government and their terrible rice scheme.

There is not "one rice" considered the best in the world, there are different types of rice for different purposes.

And people in different countries prefer different types of rice for different dishes.

Try selling some "best in the world" Thai Hom Mali to a Japanese sushi shop, and will will slice you into sashimi. Or to an Indian restaurant, and they will turn you into Human Tandori.

I wouldn't have listened to you either, or were you are rice farmer back home before?

Go work on the outside of your house in any European country and every neighbor that walks by will give you some tips on how to do it better. But none of them have the skills.

Instead of commenting you should have bought a tiny piece of land, hired some labor (or do it yourself), and SHOW them how it is done better.

If you yield better crops at a lower cost I am sure they would be standing in line to get your advice.

You are wrong there, farang's advice is not appreciated.

So, funding. With attachments like 'loan', 'repayment', 'oversight', 'quality rather than quantity', I assume.

Sounds about right. Even in the West we (i.e. non-farmers) like that more than subsidies or self-financing scams.

Edited by rubl

a funding scheme would be introduced to help the farmers.

Same as he did for the rubber farmers - lower the cost of production with subsidized fertilizers and equipment, cash handouts for size of farm, debt forgiveness, below market interest collateral-free loans, etc.

In this way he will shift government assistance from reliance on the sale of rice used by Yingluck to production of rice. Ironically, Prayut's scheme is not quality based and does not require the rice farmer to produce any rice.

So helping the poor rubber farmers by pledging to buy at premium prices is ok by you?

It's just politics.

"More than 60 per cent of rubber plantations are in the South. Trading and pricing are mostly determined in the southern markets. The South is also a major stronghold of the Democrat Party. People in the South have been voting solidly for the Democrats for decades. The party exploits this support from southerners’ for its gain, while Democrat politicians remain involved in rubber market and trading."1

Guess who heads the Democrat Party in the South? Suthep.

Guess what farmers in the South backed the military coup? Rubber2

In January 2016 Suthep requested that Prayut subsidize the price of rubber sheets at 60Bt/kg. After Prayut complained about where he would find the money to pay that price when rubber sheets price 40Bt/kg, Prayut paid 45Bt/kg.3

1 http://www.asianews.network/content/opinion-sad-tale-thai-rubber-farmers-plunging-prices-and-deaf-politicians-7314

2 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767657-thai-rubber-farmers-wheeze-as-prices-slump/

3 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885832-thai-cabinet-meets-to-discuss-rubber-prices/

Quote:

No he hasn't he is talking about crowd funding. You use and loose other peoples money. He must preserve Thai bahts for the subs, planes, tanks and God knows whatever trinkets he has purchased in Russia. He usually releases the details after its a done deal.

I watched an interesting show on TV for $300 you can build a special toilet that recycles human waste. They were promoting it in Africa a country that can sure use it. The urine was diluted and used for watering. As I recall the crop size increased dramatically. Something that might be used here as well we all have to go and there is plenty of it. Good alternative to pumping out into the ocean.

They could build some condom factories and use up the excess rubber. Call them Premiums made in Thailand. Good to the very last drop ooops sorry that line has been used before. Plagrism. Another answer is they could make genuine rubber raincoats instead of that plastic stuff that tears after a few weeks.

Edited by elgordo38

What would be the point in a new rice pledging scheme?

Farmers will still be poor, will still plant the same old seed on the same land, with the same chemical fertilizer.

From the above seems like you are still with them, maybe no longer telling them what and how to do their lossleader farming, but still with them.

In the same trap a number of decades ago I realized that if they wanted to continue doing their farming their way okay with me but not with my money taking care of all their losses. I threw my belongings in my satchel and departed, they asked me were I was going and I gave them the same asnwer they always gave me, "You do not understand". Hailed down a taxi and left them to their loss ridden farming since grandpa's days. And ever since stayed away from Thai women in any way shape of form and living very comfortable including a new car every six-years the way I want to live by not keeping dumping money in a Thai woman and her family bottomless pit. Of course I do not have the problem like the majority of farangs in Thailand with that thing that hangs off the bottom of their stomach. As Bernard Trink of NiteOwl would say, "TIT".

No, they would want to buy the land because it was lucky and good karma!!!

It's just politics.

"More than 60 per cent of rubber plantations are in the South. Trading and pricing are mostly determined in the southern markets. The South is also a major stronghold of the Democrat Party. People in the South have been voting solidly for the Democrats for decades. The party exploits this support from southerners’ for its gain, while Democrat politicians remain involved in rubber market and trading."1

Guess who heads the Democrat Party in the South? Suthep.

Guess what farmers in the South backed the military coup? Rubber2

In January 2016 Suthep requested that Prayut subsidize the price of rubber sheets at 60Bt/kg. After Prayut complained about where he would find the money to pay that price when rubber sheets price 40Bt/kg, Prayut paid 45Bt/kg.3

1 http://www.asianews.network/content/opinion-sad-tale-thai-rubber-farmers-plunging-prices-and-deaf-politicians-7314

2 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767657-thai-rubber-farmers-wheeze-as-prices-slump/

3 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885832-thai-cabinet-meets-to-discuss-rubber-prices/

And all complained that with the government inspired administration it was not worthwhile and just a token.

So, no rice subsidy either. Just funding for 'quality', 'alternative crops', etc., etc. Loans to be paid back.

I don't care how long farmers have been growing rice - it doesn't pay on how they are growing rice now. They must change their practices or stop complaining and waiting for government assistance. I'm not a farmer, but it sounds like Colin knows a thing or two about growing rice and shouldn't have to buy some land to illustrate his methods. If they won't listen for whatever reason then they must suffer the consequences when the next crop fails and puts them into more financial difficulty.

If they are to receive tax payers money then they should be forced to change their methods to more sensible ones as recommended by government experts aware of new technology and to plant better seeds so as to not squander the money with their outdated growing methods.

Organic is definitely the way to go, it will bring more money and produce a crop that is good for you health wise!!

Quote:

Most government's around the world have fallen into the trap of preserving food security!