My mistake in the supermarket check out

bubba1

it totally confuses thais when you try to bring up their error and correct it.

Indeed. It will send every member of staff in to total meltdown, probably for days.

The first few hours will consist of at least a dozen staff staring in to space, totally vacant.

Trust me, you'll wish you never mentioned it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Edited by wooloomooloo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to understand that the only way for the store to see that a pack of water has disappeared is doing a full inventory, in which case a small thing like this would be nothing out of the ordinary, completly natural, a cost of doing business with hundreds of thousands of transactions.

I think you would be surprised.

Many years a go someone I know bought a microwave, some other stuff, and a case of beer at Tesco.

The microwave and the groceries were in the trolley and the case of beer was on the lower level of the trolley.

The cashier didn't notice the case of beer, and the customer also only noticed that it wasn't on the bill when he arrived at home.

A few weeks later he received a phone call from Tesco to ask if he maybe forgot to pay for a box of beer on that day.

They had noticed from the camera above each check out counter who had failed to pay for a case of beer, and of course they had his details because he had filled in the microwave warranty.

They will probably deduct the shortfall from someone…individual or group….if you're a familiar face there, why not go back pay up…good brownie points.

Don't bother if you don't have a receipt…or it will just go int the cashier's pocket…and no brownie points.

The cashier broke company procedure as the policy would be for her to check every item processed. If found out, she should be given a first and final written warning.

When I was managing supermarkets in Oz, we were alerted to a cashier involved in a scam. For her friends and family, she would scan item 1, miss item 2, scan item 3, miss items 4 & 5, and so on. We placed hidden cameras above her checkout, sprung her the next day, fired and prosecuted her.

You need to understand that the only way for the store to see that a pack of water has disappeared is doing a full inventory, in which case a small thing like this would be nothing out of the ordinary, completly natural, a cost of doing business with hundreds of thousands of transactions.

Many years a go someone I know bought a microwave, some other stuff, and a case of beer at Tesco.

The microwave and the groceries were in the trolley and the case of beer was on the lower level of the trolley.

The cashier didn't notice the case of beer, and the customer also only noticed that it wasn't on the bill when he arrived at home.

A few weeks later he received a phone call from Tesco to ask if he maybe forgot to pay for a box of beer on that day.

They had noticed from the camera above each check out counter who had failed to pay for a case of beer, and of course they had his details because he had filled in the microwave warranty.

After working in a number of supermarkets for a number of years I kind of am surprised. The only way this was possible is if the manager was frantically watching the CCTV at the right moment.

Again, the thing with supermarkets is the number of customers, the number of goods and she sheer number or transactions. Things get lost, the numbers get mixed up etc etc. And I cant imagine supermarkets in Thailand do a better job of keeping tally than in the west, with the risk of sounding rude.

They have my credit card number from the transaction and also my phone number from the points card that was used.

There's no way to link this tiny indescrepancy to a single cashier. It's simply not possible in a large store with many cashiers.

Do yourself a favour and forget about it.

If you walk in there with your receipt and tell them she <deleted> up her job they will probably just fire her. How will you feel then ?

They won't tell you they're going to do this but for the purpose of arguments sake you should assume that they will absolutely 100% fire her if you do this.

Surely the receipt has a link to the cashier.

A lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago I used to work for Safeway a UK supermarket, you had to sign the till roll every time you sat at the till and used it.

Does modern technology now show up items that haven't been scanned ? If only 2 bottles of water have been checked into the till how will it show 3 went out the door ?

Signing a till roll shows what you have scanned.

And why should she be fired, she asked her customer how many bottles he had, he lied so is therefore a thief. Maybe he will end up in jail because the cashier has been made to look bad.

Maybe best to leave it.

There's no way to link this tiny indescrepancy to a single cashier. It's simply not possible in a large store with many cashiers.

If you walk in there with your receipt and tell them she <deleted> up her job they will probably just fire her. How will you feel then ?

They won't tell you they're going to do this but for the purpose of arguments sake you should assume that they will absolutely 100% fire her if you do this.

The cashier could live on happily everafter if you keep your mouth zipped, and the 49 Baht will not hurt the big business that rakes in big profits and don't pay her enough anyway......................

Plus the security guard will probably get fired alnog with her if you tell them..........

They have my credit card number from the transaction and also my phone number from the points card that was used.

Calm down, dear.

Yes, calm down.

They may know all that about you but they don't know the missing case of water went with you. If they knew that they would have HAD YOU right on the spot.....................

DON'T DO ANYTHING.................... Let it die quietly..................

This would have to be a "one in a million" case of putting 2 and 2 together after the fact.

Since it was long ago and a friend of yours would mind telling the rest of the story?????????

Did he pay? Did he tell them he was sure he had paid? Did he ignore it? Just curious..........

Surely on in a million...........................

Because it was "stock" you left with there is little to no chance to link it to that check-out.

However, if it was a mistake in money, (she gave you too much change etc) which left her till short, then yes, she would probably have to pay it.

This is also why they have people check your trolley against your receipt at some stores as you exit.

Same reason doggies sniff each other's butts........checkin the stock :D

Seems strange to us humans.......some of us anyway :P

So police officers <deleted> up and they are put to inactive post, but a checkout girl misses a 49 baht item and 100% she is fired?

how do you guys dream up this nonsense?

Extraordinary how foriegners seem to know all these things absolutely 100% but have no proof or experience 100%

my gf was fired for giving me a container of milk for 40 instead of 45, it can happen

So police officers <deleted> up and they are put to inactive post, but a checkout girl misses a 49 baht item and 100% she is fired?

how do you guys dream up this nonsense?

Extraordinary how foriegners seem to know all these things absolutely 100% but have no proof or experience 100%

my gf cahier was fired for giving me a container of milk for 40 instead of 45, it can happen

The Op has integrity and wants to do the right thing without causing a problem for anyone else.

Obviously, some posters have no idea what integrity is.

OP, I would report it to the store and not bring the receipt to avoid problems for the cashier , pay what yo owe,

Then go home and sleep well.

I respect yo for your honesty..and integrity.

Edited by willyumiii

The deed is done, move on,

but the wrath of god will follow you until eternity

lord budda will look at you also, krishna will be

close behind these gods will haunt you forever,,

Hades, king of Underworld.

Persephone, queen of the Underworld, wife of Hades and goddess of spring growth.

Hecate, goddess of magic, night, moon, ghosts, necromancy and crossroads (Eric Clapton version)

Thanatos, spirit of death and mortality

so will all the other ones,,, look them up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_death_deities

The Op has integrity and wants to do the right thing without causing a problem for anyone else.

OP, I would report it to the store and not bring the receipt to avoid problems for the cashier , pay what yo owe,

You think the supermarket has integrity and respect for you as a customer? The cashier is off the hook so no need to worry about her.

Calm down, dear.

No no , crap your pants and squeal like a pig it gets more entertaining that waylaugh.png

Even if you speak no Thai, going to customer service with the receipt and handing it in with the 49baht should solve the problem. If in doubt, just ask a Thai friend to go with you but that shouldn't be necessary. If you have no friends, use Google translate on your phone to get the point across. Should be an easy fix.

You think the supermarket has integrity and respect for you as a customer? The cashier is off the hook so no need to worry about her.

Sadly, you are missing the point.

It is about your integrity and respecting yourself.

Even if you speak no Thai, going to customer service with the receipt and handing it in with the 49baht should solve the problem. If in doubt, just ask a Thai friend to go with you but that shouldn't be necessary. If you have no friends, use Google translate on your phone to get the point across. Should be an easy fix.

How woulld this help ? They coulld ask him to wait while they do a stock take and charge him for everything they cant find.

How woulld this help ? They coulld ask him to wait while they do a stock take and charge him for everything they cant find.

Ahhhh - sublime meet ridiculous....

Good luck at the crossroads.....