Transfer stamps to new passport

Last Thursday I went to Thai Immigration at Chaengwattana to transfer my stamps into a new passport. They rejected the standard photocopied request letter issued by the British Embassy on the basis that the letter was a mass produced photocopy with the signature of the Vice Consul, for applicants to complete themselves. They said they want an original letter, with an original, individually signed letter. However, they did transfer all my stamps and re-entry permit. She told me that I must come back with an original letter for their files.

My question is, should I ignore her request, as it seems to be more of a spat between our Embassy not wanting to spend time and money and Thai Immigration throwing their weight around?

Since you already have gotten the stamps I cannot forsee any repercussions from not taking them an original letter.

I suggest you send an email to the consular section and inform them about the problem. Email address can be found here in this document titled "Transferring Your Thai Visa" from the embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

I would suggest you write (not email ) to the Consular Section of the British Embassy setting out the facts as you understand them and asking how they propose resolving the issue.

I suggest writing as that forces a written response on Embassy headed stationary.

Be aware that a response may take up to twenty days !

Since you already have gotten the stamps I cannot forsee any repercussions from not taking them an original letter.

I suggest you send an email to the consular section and inform them about the problem. Email address can be found here in this document titled "Transferring Your Thai Visa" from the embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

Thank you for your advice, I came to the same conclusion. The point is that the Embassy is the one issuing mass produced photocopies of their original blank form signed by the vice consul to be filled in by every passport holder, so no one gets an original letter. I can see the why Thai Immigration objects to the mass produced photocopied form issued by the British Embassy as the British Embassy obviously do not want to spend anytime issuing individually signed original letters. After all, they do not issue passports anymore. I already sent an e-mail to the Embassy about the problem (They request that you e-mail them if you have any problem, on the notice which accompanies the transfer stamp request form). They promise to respond within 21 days.

Thank you for your advice, I came to the same conclusion. The point is that the Embassy is the one issuing mass produced photocopies of their original blank form signed by the vice consul to be filled in by every passport holder, so no one gets an original letter. I can see the why Thai Immigration objects to the mass produced photocopied form issued by the British Embassy as the British Embassy obviously do not want to spend anytime issuing individually signed original letters. After all, they do not issue passports anymore. I already sent an e-mail to the Embassy about the problem (They request that you e-mail them if you have any problem, on the notice which accompanies the transfer stamp request form). They promise to respond within 21 days.

One would like to think that the Embassy would have discussed their plans to issue mass-produced letters with the Immigration Bureau in advance. But it would appear from your experience that no such discussions have, in all probability, taken place.

I strongly suspect, however, that, were the Embassy to start issuing individually-signed letters, they would almost certainly also start charging for them, just as they do already for (e.g.) income confirmation letters.

Please do let us know what sort of response you eventually receive from the Embassy.

One would like to think that the Embassy would have discussed their plans to issue mass-produced letters with the Immigration Bureau in advance. But it would appear from your experience that no such discussions have, in all probability, taken place.

I strongly suspect, however, that, were the Embassy to start issuing individually-signed letters, they would almost certainly also start charging for them, just as they do already for (e.g.) income confirmation letters.

Please do let us know what sort of response you eventually receive from the Embassy.

I received the following response from the British Vice Consul: "Our agreement with Thai immigration is that the visa transfer document should be provided when you collect your new passport. On the 1st June we started using a updated document which is on headed paper and has an official seal. It would appear that you have received the older version of the document.

We apologise for any confusion which this may have caused.

From your email it appears that you have had your visa transferred into your new passport already. Therefore there is no requirement for an updated document from us.

Regards

Sarah "

As you can see, I received the old form which was presented prior to the end of May to Thai Immigration who expected the new form which was not due to be used until 1st June 2016. TV members should therefore be sure that they receive the new stamp transfer from the passport agency with the official seal and not the photocopy otherwise the letter will be rejected.

• Like 1

I received the following response from the British Vice Consul: "Our agreement with Thai immigration is that the visa transfer document should be provided when you collect your new passport. On the 1st June we started using a updated document which is on headed paper and has an official seal. It would appear that you have received the older version of the document.

We apologise for any confusion which this may have caused.

From your email it appears that you have had your visa transferred into your new passport already. Therefore there is no requirement for an updated document from us.

Regards

Sarah "

As you can see, I received the old form which was presented prior to the end of May to Thai Immigration who expected the new form which was not due to be used until 1st June 2016. TV members should therefore be sure that they receive the new stamp transfer from the passport agency with the official seal and not the photocopy otherwise the letter will be rejected.

You are good to go, for up to 10 years.

Note that the link specifically states:

An original document is not required

Edited by Farang99