Old CBR150 with carb problems

Hi,

So I recently bought an old CBR150 for cheap. The throttle wasn't functioning at 100% so I took it to a shop to get the carb cleaned.

They unfortunately made the bike worse, and the bike idles all over the place and often died when stopped. So I took it back, they "fixed" it again but the bike still died after a couple minutes of driving.

I don't think it's their fault, the carb was faulty anyways. It was only a simple carb cleaning, and i doubt they do too much for 200 baht.

However, I'm not sure what to do. It's possible that a full rebuild and deep cleaning would do it, however I could not explain the concept of rebuilding it with new jets etc to them in English.

They just said they can replace for 1.5k baht, which I guess is a good price.

However, I'm also not 100% sure that the bike will be fixed after replacing the carb, which is also why I'm hesitant (rust in the gas tank???)

Do I just spend the $50 and hope that it runs well after? Or do I take it to another shop and ask them to clean/rebuild the carb?

Thanks for any tips, I'm a motorbike novice.

These old bikes can be a major headache..You can throw all kinds of money on them and there is the Next Problem right around the corner..When it is all said and done your Output on Parts and Labor can easily exceed the Cost of a New Bike

These old bikes can be a major headache..You can throw all kinds of money on them and there is the Next Problem right around the corner..When it is all said and done your Output on Parts and Labor can easily exceed the Cost of a New Bike

Is that the case even in Thailand?

It's a 9 yr old bike, so not too bad. I'm still chuggin on a 20 yr old scoot.

Do it yourself. It's pretty easy to fix such a carb:

P.S. Please check, there's a screw at the button where you can let some maybe dusty gasoline out. Check if the carb gets enough gasoline, unplug the benzine tube and see if enough gasoline comes out of your tank.

Check the rubber where the carb is attached to the cylinder for cuts. Is the bike running better without the air filter?

You can't do any damage to run it without.What gasoline are you using?

Have you ever checked the spark plug? Who's telling you that it's the curb?

You've got two screws at your carb to tune it. One screw increases, or decreases the RPM, the other one the fuel mixture.

Turn the screw in to have an idle speed of 1,200 RPM, then go to the second screw, turn it in until the engine starts to run on less gasoline and almost stops. Then turn the screw back very slowly ( against the clock) until the engine sounds good.

Then adjust your RPM's and have a good ride.

Tuning is pretty easy and i would never trust a Thai mechanic, one of them killed the engine of my 750 V Yamaha Virago.

Edited by lostinisaan

Congratulations on your buy. thumbsup.gif

Once you get this sorted,

you'll have an excellent bike for the mountain roads and the city streets.

papa has ridden his all over northern Thailand & Laos &c.

Before new carb:

remove tank, √, clean-out & and replace all the rubber stuff in there and @around the carb.

The fuel-gauge float tends to fail and may need replacing too.

All rubber is suspect with older bike, so don't hesitate to replace, but cheap, cheap.

√ tank mounts, radiator mounts.

Watch how your mechanic removes the tank; good to know that.

√ other expansive TV threads for insights into the ceeber150 carby.

A pic would be nice please.

"Check if the carb gets enough gasoline, unplug the benzine tube and see if enough gasoline comes out of your tank. "

Pretty sure this won't work.

A vacuum pulse from the carb opens the tank valve.

One disadvantage of this model is the necessity of tank/fairing removal to service the carb, plug, etc,

but it's really not that difficult.

Edited by papa al

"Check if the carb gets enough gasoline, unplug the benzine tube and see if enough gasoline comes out of your tank. "

One disadvantage of this model is the necessity of tank/fairing removal to service the carb, plug, etc,

Then pout a tube on and create some vacuum with your mouth, or ask your gf....human lungs are strong enough to open such a valve.

What if the valve is at fault?

Then pout a tube on and create some vacuum with your mouth, or ask your gf....human lungs are strong enough to open such a valve.

What if the valve is at fault?

That might work.

If the valve is faulty, the bike won't run right and valve should be replaced.

A halfway decent Thai mechanic prolly has seen all this many times.

Inexpensive.

Well I ride this bike, you certainly do appreciate fuel injection when you move on from carb!

This happens if the bike is still cold and you haven't pulled the choke all the way up.

After around three minutes of riding, you should put the choke back to its original place, if you don't, the bike drops down to under 1,000 RPM when you let go of the throttle and it will shut off.

If your choke is loose and goes to half way up, your bike can shut off and refuse to start at all until you pull down or up the choke again, and turning the ignition key on and off.

Have you tried raising the idle? Easy fix for me was raising the idling to 2,000 RPM. You can do this by turning the metal rod that looks like a spring on the right side of the bike, just inside the fairing hole.

I hope it helps.

People say there's no such as thing as a guy who hates his bike. Well I certainly do, I live and commute everyday in Bangkok, and having a bike that is still using a carburetor is just too much stress to deal with. I remember using a rental scooter with my friends, fuel injection felt like a gift from god.

"having a bike that is still using a carburetor is just too much stress to deal with."

meditation or medication may help.

or a scooter, yes.

I love these classic bikes, my favorite one the Kawa Z 900. But some scooterboys here might not get it.

post-158336-0-03017700-1465623021_thumb.

If you have rust in the gas tank you have to sort that out first as the rust will cause havoc in the carb blocking

the fuel filter , the tiny jet holes and causing the float valve to stick.... no amount of cleaning will work until the rust is sorted.

Another thing that causes rough idleing is a slack cam chain due to chain stretched beyond the tensioner adjustment or a broken guide in the engine.