Best strategy to stay in Thailand long term for a dual citizen?

I am a citizen of Russia and the USA. Thailand has the same single entry visa procedures/requirements for the nationals of both counties. What would be the best strategy to stay in Thailand long term? The first that comes to mind is (60 days + 30) with my US passport, then (60 days + 30) with my Russian passport and so on... Does it sound like a reasonable approach? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

OP you didn't state where you are currently. If in one of the countries where you hold a passport you may be able to obtain a METV.

Also "long term" is how long exactly. Also depends on your age. If quite some time before you turn 50 then elite visa is best option but not super cheap.

You could easily get couple of years out of tourist visas and visa exempt etc with extensions.

Eventually you could obtain a non imm O.

You could always marry a Thai!

Thanks.

I am a genuine tourist who doesn't plan on seeking employment or getting engaged in any business activities, therefore I see no contradiction between the type of visa I am inquiring about and my real goal to stay in Thailand. I am just wondering if Thai immigration would treat me as two different persons, and if they will be OK with it.

I am not going to be eligible for a retirement visa for another decade, unless they lower the retirement age, and I am not considering marrying a Thai woman at this time.

I'd define long term as 12 - 18 months for starters...

METV involves a lot of bureaucracy, such as a proof of employment I can't provide (My income is investments/capital gain). The METV processing is $200 vs $40. And last but not least, since METV still requires a border run after 60 + 30 days, I see no advantages of 1x METV vs 2x SETV.

I am guessing, I am not an "elite" fan of Thailand to pay THB 500K for a 5 year visa. ED visa would be a much cheaper option, and although it's not the subject of this discussion, one can get a permanent unconditional residency in, say, Panama and other South/Latin America locations for half the price. In my opinion it's just not worth it...

There is a difference for getting visa exempt entries between your passports. Using your US passport you can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days at immigration. For Russia you get a 30 day entry from a bilateral agreement and it cannot be extended for 30 days.

• Like 1

...I am just wondering if Thai immigration would treat me as two different persons, and if they will be OK with it...

Immigration will not treat a dual Russian/US citizen as two different person.

Immigration will allow you to use both passports, with the condition that you always leave Thailand with the same passport you used to enter the country.

...I am just wondering if Thai immigration would treat me as two different persons, and if they will be OK with it...

Immigration will allow you to use both passports, with the condition that you always leave Thailand with the same passport you used to enter the country.

but the consulates issuing visa might.

I advise OP to apply for visa at two different consulates using his different passports, so he gets 60+30 every time and his visa will never be back to back in the same passport.

I highly doubt that immigration keeps track of entries made by the same person on different passports, just think about how many people happen to carry the same name.

There is a difference for getting visa exempt entries between your passports. Using your US passport you can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days at immigration. For Russia you get a 30 day entry from a bilateral agreement and it cannot be extended for 30 days.

It can be extended for 7 days. Not a good option though... On the other hand, US citizens are getting only a 15-day stamp if arriving by land while Russians are permitted for 30 days. Russian citizens can travel to Laos visa-free. Therefore, both passports have their advantages but neither one is perfect for that matter. Visa appear to be a much better option.

I was not suggesting entering and leaving Thailand with a different passport. I was talking about swapping passports when applying for a visa to create 3 or 6 months visa gaps in each passport.

It can be extended for 7 days. Not a good option though... On the other hand, US citizens are getting only a 15-day stamp if arriving by land while Russians are permitted for 30 days. Russian citizens can travel to Laos visa-free. Therefore, both passports have their advantages but neither one is perfect for that matter. Visa appear to be a much better option.

Why would a US citizen only get 15 days if entering by land?

US is part of G7.

• Like 1

US is part of G7.

I saw it here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

I was not suggesting entering and leaving Thailand with a different passport. I was talking about swapping passports when applying for a visa to create 3 or 6 months visa gaps in each passport.

Thank you for clarifying that.

The Thai consulates will treat as two different persons and they will be OK with it.

US is part of G7.

I saw it here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

That info is out of date. Since November of 2013 those from G7 countries get a 30 day entries at border crossings.

See the remarks at the bottom of this page for accurate info. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. If you alternate them at each consulate, they will perceive a 'break' in your time in Thailand, thereby increasing the number of visas you can get. Done right, each passport would show you spend 6 mo in Thailand and 6 mo elsewhere. I am envious of your situation.

Yes, exactly. If you alternate them at each consulate, they will perceive a 'break' in your time in Thailand, thereby increasing the number of visas you can get. Done right, each passport would show you spend 6 mo in Thailand and 6 mo elsewhere. I am envious of your situation.

Thanks. Not quite clear why would I need to go to a different consulate?

Thanks. Not quite clear why would I need to go to a different consulate?

Each consulate has an arbitrary limit on how many Tourist Visas they will issue, based on how many they see in your passport. Some consulates only count the Visas from their own consulate, while others consider time-in-country and/or other Consulate's Thai visas. There are conflicting reports on the 'rules' for each consulate because their arbitrary rules change over time. Based some recent reports, Penang appears to be more willing to issue visas if you use an agent, while other consulates forbid the use of agents. Bottom line, Consulates make up their own rules, the rules are not published, and the rules can change at any time.

Some say that time out of the country "resets" their count, but I found this was not the case at Vientiene. With several visas from Laos consulates in my passport, but after spending 7 months out of Thailand, I received the 'blue and red stamps' on my 2nd visa request at Vientiene after my return. In general, people report getting at least 3 from that location before this happens.

The consulates issue Tourist Visas (or not) based on what they see in the passport submitted - not based on your full history of travel to Thailand. This differs from the Immigration Officier at the border, who can see your complete history. By going to different consulates, you greatly increase the number of Tourist Visas you can receive before needing to get a new passport to get a fresh start.

• Like 1

You not mentioned how old are you. If over 50 retirement visa, below may be Education visa on your USA passport as they have some visa agreements with American I think. The ED visa with the school fees will cost you around 12 to 25 k.

The ED visa with the school fees will cost you around 12 to 25 k.

Can you please point me in the right direction where I can get a 1-year ED visa for 12K? I keep seeing around $1K for a year long tuition and visa fees.