Man dies days after being bitten by shark off west Australia

rooster59

Man dies days after being bitten by shark off west Australia

PERTH, Australia (AP) — A surfer whose leg was bitten off by a shark last week in waters off western Australia has died at a hospital from his injuries.

The brother of 29-year-old Ben Gerring thanked the "heroes" who brought him to shore after the attack and the medical staff at Royal Perth Hospital, where he died late Friday night.

Rick Gerring said the hospital staff had given them three days with their loved one. "Obviously we were always hoping for the best outcome, it was always at the back of our minds that this could happen, but they gave us that time to say our goodbyes," he told ABC News.

Ben Gerring was attacked Tuesday afternoon while paddling his surfboard at Falcon Beach in his hometown of Mandurah, south of Perth. Fellow surfers paddled to him to bring him to shore, witnesses said.

An inspection of his damaged surfboard showed a white shark was responsible. The Fisheries Department trapped and killed a large shark on Wednesday afternoon but don't know if it was the same shark that attacked Gerring.

Area beaches have reopened, but the department warned people to be extra cautious in the water.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-05

Such a sad story, he leaves his fiancée who is pregnant with their child. ABC report with more details below:-

ABC Report

And how brave were his mates eh, staying in the water and rescuing him after the attack, with a Great White on the lose! Proud to be an Aussie when I hear stuff like that.

RIP champ

Such a sad story, he leaves his fiancée who is pregnant with their child. ABC report with more details below:-

ABC Report

And how brave were his mates eh, staying in the water and rescuing him after the attack, with a Great White on the lose! Proud to be an Aussie when I hear stuff like that.

RIP champ

+1

^

Sure are. Lot of attacks off WA just recently, another fatality off Perth:-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-05/woman-dead-suspected-shark-attack-in-perth-suburb-of-mindarie/7479272

In late 2011 through early 2012 there seemed to be a rogue hanging out in and around Rottnest Island area. I was in there surfing in the Margaret River area in 2012. Definitely a mood if heightened alert back then.

Very sad to hear the young man has died from his injury. His young fiancé expecting a child makes it even more sad. I heard an interview with the brother of the young man who has died making it clear that she and the baby will be looked after and supported in memory of his brother. Good people a tragic event.

I would like to take this opportunity to support the pc brigade for their joy in sharks eating and killing any person who goes into the water. Because sharks are more important than people. What a crock.

A shark culling program was started in WA, and all the pc whingers want to put sharks first. Best place for a shark is in a tin of cat food.

I would like to take this opportunity to support the pc brigade for their joy in sharks eating and killing any person who goes into the water. Because sharks are more important than people. What a crock.

A shark culling program was started in WA, and all the pc whingers want to put sharks first. Best place for a shark is in a tin of cat food.

Boooo !

In the north, you've got salt water crocs, in the south, great white sharks. In between, there are bull sharks, hammerheads, grey nurse, etc which are relatively harmless - they only kill one or two a year. Wearing a wet suit makes you look a lot like a seal (yum) and the way you splash around indicates you are obviously disabled (compared to a seal that is). Have fun!

BTW once spoke to a diver who lost a hand to a grouper. What really annoyed him was the bloody thing didn't like the taste and spat it out.

According to a recent scientific study, the best way to avoid being killed by a shark is by poking it in the eyes.

Not that I class myself as smarter than scientists, but I think I will stick to my current tactic of living in Issan.........................coffee1.gif

According to a recent scientific study, the best way to avoid being killed by a shark is by poking it in the eyes.

Not that I class myself as smarter than scientists, but I think I will stick to my current tactic of living in Issan.........................coffee1.gif

The only way a shark gonna get me, is if it comes through a tap.

Not like Aussies to hold back when someone is in trouble. Kudos to his friends and a terrible loss.

See a lot of sharks over the years surfing, but never an actual attack. Surfers are typically the first on site to help victims hit by sharks whether they are other surfers or just swimmers all over the world.

I have seen GWs in the water at JBay and in California coast growing up there. The only time I got really tweeked out was around 1990/91 at Paulies Island, Myrtle Beach area. I was only person in line up in a remote location and had a huge shadow under me. This was the same week a Russian couple got mauled by a great white in that same area in a horrid attack.

The only way a shark gonna get me, is if it comes through a tap.

Lol must admit that got a giggle out of me. Like your work Goanna

RIP to the man and to the shark. It is so dumb they go kill a shark that they can't even verify was responsible. Is this supposed to serve as a deterrent to other sharks that may attack objects resembling their natural prey in their own environment?

RIP to the man and to the shark. It is so dumb they go kill a shark that they can't even verify was responsible. Is this supposed to serve as a deterrent to other sharks that may attack objects resembling their natural prey in their own environment?

You risk being branded as PC by the surfer vigilantes. You must learn that any human activity anywhere on this planet or any other planet has the absolute right to destroy other life forms for their own convenience. How dare a great white shark hunting for its food in the sea dare to have a taste of a human pretending to be an aquatic mammal. All sea predators should all be destroyed just in case they trespass any further into the human domain......