Selling something on Craigslist - Is this person trying to scam me?

gavin310

If he is willing to transfer the money first then it is probably legit

Not at all.

If he's got someone's internet banking credentials and they don't know, he can transfer their money at will.

I would never send the laptop unless I had cash in hand, which would mean waiting to make sure the payment cleared my bank without any issues and then withdrawing the cash, or using Western Union. Western Union is a much safer idea, so I sent him a message saying that is the only payment I will accept and I have not heard back from him. 100% a scammer.

Selling something on Craigslist - Is this person trying to scam me?

I can tell you the correct answer and send you $5000 dollars

but could you please pay the processing fee of $495 dollars

so i can transfer the money to your account, many thanks, and

birdy num num.

Yes it's a scam .

But for the fun of it , ask them to send via Western Union , if the money shows up and you have the cash in your hand it's not a scam , but I would say the chances of that are something like 0.0001% .

He will sent you a falsified confirmation of the Bank of America and his croonies try to collect first.

I'm sure there are one or two out there that would actually just give the goods to the courier before the funds have been cleared, bust seriously, if you are that stupid and can't apply general common sense, then you will learn the very hard way.

In relation to the OP, of course its a scam. This person could not find a laptop comparable in price in his own country? Willing to just buy from a stranger from another country. 99.999% its a scam of some sort.

If the courier is Nigerian, call the cops on him because he probably hasn't got a work permit.

Can't you just make a contract and give the thingy in exchange for cash to the courier?

Something smells damn fishy here and somebody's trying to get your bank details, but certainly not in your favor.

I've sold a big bike to an English bloke in Phuket, he'd sent all the money on my bank account before the bike was even send to him.

But I'm not a scammer and he seemed to know that. How much do you know about the Malaysian guy?

Unless you are selling an Alienware laptop for 100baht (ie the deal of the century) I think this is a scam 100% - can't think anyone would pay to courier a used laptop to Malaysia. Surely that would cost more than the laptop, right? Or certainly make the laptop purchase economically unsound. Maybe you should get a quote to courier a laptop to Malaysia and that'll prove what a scam this is.

I agree with Jadee. Pricing on computers in KL is generally lower than Thailand. While I can't fathom just how this could go awry for you, how this could serve the buyer is incomprehensible to me. Have you asked what his/her reasoning is?

This is exactly why the idea of reporting bank account numbers to immigration sends the hairs on the back of my neck into convulsions.

With my name, bank account number and passport number all on the same piece of paper, what's to stop anyone from getting a KhaoSan passport made up with my name and passport number (and their photo), and using that at a branch of my bank to do whatever they want?

The KhaoSan fake passports probably won't get through immigration, but I can't think of any reason a bank wouldn't accept it as positive ID, especially if they had a few other pieces of cheap KhaoSan ID like a DL, CC, library card, etc.

Sure, buying a $1000 laptop and reselling it is small potatoes in the world of money laundering, but do it a few dozen or hundred times and suddenly we're looking at real money. And to an Asian making $10 a day, even doing it once would be the equivalent of several month's salary.

Why do you believe that the guy is really Malaysian? More Nigerian.

This is exactly why the idea of reporting bank account numbers to immigration sends the hairs on the back of my neck into convulsions.

With my name, bank account number and passport number all on the same piece of paper, what's to stop anyone from getting a KhaoSan passport made up with my name and passport number (and their photo), and using that at a branch of my bank to do whatever they want?

The KhaoSan fake passports probably won't get through immigration, but I can't think of any reason a bank wouldn't accept it as positive ID, especially if they had a few other pieces of cheap KhaoSan ID like a DL, CC, library card, etc.

Sure, buying a $1000 laptop and reselling it is small potatoes in the world of money laundering, but do it a few dozen or hundred times and suddenly we're looking at real money. And to an Asian making $10 a day, even doing it once would be the equivalent of several month's salary.

Why do you believe that the guy is really Malaysian? More Nigerian.

1) It wouldn't change my point

2) Nigerians may be the most infamous, but they don't have a monopoly on internet scams. Malaysians can hold their own, and Russians, and Lithuanians and...

Archived