New router

MZurf

I've just had an IT tech from 3BB in my house and he informed me that the router I got from 3BB made the internet slower when it was hot (as it always is) so he suggested I buy a new one. Any suggestions?

PS. Must be wireless.

If you can afford it RT-AC68U and you just put your old modem in bridge. Works great many extra features bit expensive but if you like a good router go for it. I have one and it works great stable and fast wiith many features like connecting a USB harddisk to it that you can share over your network.

All routers will heat up, if you are on ADSL and want to invest I suggest an AC 1200 at least. These routers are dual band ,(2.4 / 5), so that if any devices are in the 2.4 MHz frequency, (cordless phone, microwave, wireles mouse, wireless keyboard etc, the router will automatically switch your heavy traffic such as streaming into the 5 MHz band. If you have new devices such as latest mobile phone and laptop, then you are fine as they are all compatible with these new routers.

Buy a fan first and see how that works out - I bet that it has nothing to do with heat anyway - but it is possible. Set the router on top of one of those laptop coolers and power it off of usb port if it have one.

IME, routers do start to go bad here owing to, among other things, extreme operating temps.

Not sure, but suspect you have DSL? If you have 3BB VDSL you'll need a VDSL-capable modem.

We just replaced a 10 year old Netgear ADSL (True) D834 DG, which was losing sync more than 150 times in each 24 hour period.

We replaced it with a budget router: Asus DSL-N12HP; it is working well. I think the price was ~ 1,900 THB. This is a general service unit for visitors.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-N12HP/

We also have two Asus DSL-N12U units operating on 3BB 17/2 ADSL. These units are even more budget friendly at 1,500 THB. Both these units have been up for more than one year without a single outage.

Edited by mtls2005

If the modem router 3BB gave you is part of the package you are paying for, they should replace a faulty unit.

Tried to get my 3BB Wifi router changed, they said they don't do them anymore, must buy outside....facepalm.gif

Sooo, bought a D-Link 300Mbps, works great, 1200bht..thumbsup.gif

Did 3BB return the deposit you must have put on the original they supplied?