Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

webfact

Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

dog.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Irresponsible dog owners have come under the spotlight after a dog attack on a 14 year Bangkok girl left her needing 100 stitches to her face.

The attack that happened earlier this month reached a big audience after pictures and a video were posted online. The father agreed a 150,000 settlement but has said this is not enough for all the treatment his daughter will need reported Daily News.

No criminal charges were laid in the matter as an agreement was reached. One well known Thai singer commented online that the owner should face criminal charges in cases like this. People were getting stiff penalties for hurting dogs while irresponsible owners were just let off, said the singer.

The attack happened on May 11th in the Phra Pin 4 estate in the Nong Khaem district of Bangkok. The dog jumps at the girl but much of the attack is missed. When it is over people are seen leading the dog away.

Father Surapong Jinawong, 47, told reporters that the dog came out of a house three doors down as his daughter was playing in the street. It always looked threatening but had never bitten anyone , he said. He had tried to help his daughter but the attack had been very quick and by the time he managed to get it off her she had suffered severe facial injuries.

His daughter was treated at several hospitals that night and needed 100 stitches to her face, he said. He reported the matter to Nong Khaem police the next day. He said that he had asked the owner for 300,000 baht but they had settled on half that even though he felt sure that this would not be enough as he had already paid 40,000 baht for the treatment and other surgeries would be needed.

Thai singer Joe Nuvo was one person who commented online saying that this kind of attack should be prosecuted as a criminal case. He said that people who attack dogs are getting severe sentences while owners who let their animals attack others are just let off.

Earlier this month a chicken rice vendor in Ramkhamhaeng, Bangkok, who attacked and killed a dog that he said had bitten his child was jailed for four months reduced to two months on his admission.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-25

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing Thailand! The saying never seems to go away. Does it? Hurt or kill a dog and one gets jailed or fined...A dog hurts a human and no penalty on the dog so it can maul someone else later on..

Australia has laws to protect dogs also but, has strict laws where dogs savage humans are killed and if owner found, charges are laid...

Jesus, please help me to understand the stupid Thai way of doing things.. I said a week ago in reply to a dog incident, it wont be long before someone is killed..

These idiots who made-up this ridiculous dog law in the first place, are they going to take any responsibility for injuries on humans from dog attacks?

No way! Thai thinking! Not my problem...

Edited by tagalong

The dog should have been put down, it's a killer, singer was quite right owner should be prosecuted. Dog lovers will be along in a minute to tell us all how their dogs never harmed anyone etc whistling.gif

Edited by thai3

Thai singer Joe Nuvo was one person who commented online saying that this kind of attack should be prosecuted as a criminal case. He said that people who attack dogs are getting severe sentences while owners who let their animals attack others are just let off.

Earlier this month a chicken rice vendor in Ramkhamhaeng, Bangkok, who attacked and killed a dog that he said had bitten his child was jailed for four months reduced to two months on his admission.

Thai Singer Joe Nuvo makes a very valid point... Irresponsible owners should face criminal charges by allowing such attacks.... For such attacks to occur the dog is free to roam the streets where children play, the owner is responsible for this.

I'm not a dog lover, but neither am I a dog hater - I'd like to see a pragmatic approach that can prevent such attacks.

The first step is for owners to be held accountable...

Actually enforcing accountability is the first step in fixing many things that slip through the legal net in Thailand often leading to tragic consequences.

Ultimately it shows how little people care, especially those in positions of decision making power, unless / until it directly affects them.

are you telling me the dog has not been euthanized??? and the owner get's away because he pays? it's a disgusting indictment of 'Thainess'

In all fairness of the "system" the dog was not put down and the charges not laid because the father accepted the money as sufficient compensation.

If the father denied the money and persued this case to fullest legal extent I'm sure someone would be spending time in jail.

The owner will say the dog was just playing, what about the other dogs, mines no worse, or the girl provoked the dog. Probably upset at the girl making him lose face.

Edited by thai3

While Thais continue to condone the ridiculous way of paying for treatment when someone is bitten and they are never taken to court or have their dog destroyed nothing will change.

My ex was bitten a couple of years ago, owner paid for treatment, nothing to see here.

There's the Thai way and the legal way.

They could at least clean up the wild soidogs without an owner.

No they can't or there would not be (as govt admits) millions of the pests. Religion, apathy and something else are the reasons

Edited by thai3

are you telling me the dog has not been euthanized??? and the owner get's away because he pays? it's a disgusting indictment of 'Thainess'

In all fairness of the "system" the dog was not put down and the charges not laid because the father accepted the money as sufficient compensation.

If the father denied the money and persued this case to fullest legal extent I'm sure someone would be spending time in jail.

yes I understand the 'system' of paying to get out of justice but that does not make it ethical

Amazing Thailand! The saying never seems to go away. Does it? Hurt or kill a dog and one gets jailed or fined...A dog hurts a human and no penalty on the dog so it can maul someone else later on..

Australia has laws to protect dogs also but, has strict laws where dogs savage humans are killed and if owner found, charges are laid...

Jesus, please help me to understand the stupid Thai way of doing things.. I said a week ago in reply to a dog incident, it wont be long before someone is killed..

These idiots who made-up this ridiculous dog law in the first place, are they going to take any responsibility for injuries on humans from dog attacks?

No way! Thai thinking! Not my problem...

You are over the top

I think the dog law is ok, dogs don't deserve abuse. It should remain in place.

But there should be an equivalent law to protect humans against dangerous dogs

- and by the way dogs are dangerous only if t he owner neglects his duty or does not know how to handle them

- so in the end it is always the owner who is responsible, not t he dog.

I am not sure if there is not a suitable law in place - the question is is it enforced? (probably not, TIT)

The packs of dogs around pratumnak are really intimidating. On Soi Katsesin there is a dog belonging to a hotel on the corner of Soi 1. It has bitten me and other people. The owners deny it is theirs but it is. Further down the road by the first 7/11 and motosai taxi stand there is another pack of feral street dogs. It can be quite nerve wracking if they in a pack and the leader is barking at you. Of course children suffer the worse injuries because of their size and height . Irresponsible owners should be punished, stray dogs rounded up and dogs that attack should be put down at the owners expense.

The dog owner should be made to pay 100% of the medical bills, plus at least one million baht in compensation for the emotional distress caused by the attack.

The dog should be put down and the owner banned from ever owning a dog again.

The dog situation is seriously out of hand in this country. In a civilized society, vicious pack animals should not be allowed to run free in populated areas. Make a decision Thailand, be civilized or stay with your jungle past.

Well, well, all the posters stating that the dog should have been put down and the owner prosecuted.

What a change of attitude. Just two weeks or so ago I received loads of flack from posters in a topic about some clown from Chonburi that was feeding dozens of soi dogs and spending 50K baht plus on them every month.

I said it was irresponsible and and was glad that I didn't live close to him and his pack of mangy mongrels. Boy did I get chastised for being 'heartless and cruel'.

The bloke in Chonburi and the owner of this dog displayed a gross lack of responsibility to the animals that they were feeding. They exercised no CONTROL of the mutts whatsoever.It's high time the Thai authorities clamped down on these dangerous animals allowed to roam at large.

They could at least clean up the wild soidogs without an owner.

No they can't or there would not be (as govt admits) millions of the pests. Religion, apathy and something else are the reasons

A contract with a Vietnamese firm to clear up the Soi dogs and within 5 years there would not be a problem with Soi dogs or unleashed owned dogs for that matter!

Jungle past for sure, if not for the Chinese they would still be riding Elephants

Doubt that.

All wild life would be gone , turned into profit making alternative chinese medicine.

Dogs can make great family pets its the owners fault when people get attacked like this and in this case the dog should be put down.

However animal protecion laws are also needed.

And indeed people should be made to keep the dog on their own property.

I used to have dogs and they lived within wall and gate of my home.

Thais in my moban did the same.

Moban security made sure of that.

Edited by brianinbangkok

The dog should have been put down, it's a killer, singer was quite right owner should be prosecuted. Dog lovers will be along in a minute to tell us all how their dogs never harmed anyone etc whistling.gif

I'm a dog lover... My dog was a liability when we inherited him (Thai Bangkeaw) so I always kept him indoors or on a leash. We managed to slowly re habilitate him and now he is fine but I still keep him on a leash.

Owners of dogs that attack should be prosecuted. Dogs that attack should be re habilitated at the owners expense.. Do we put down humans that attack others ? No, we don't.

Never mind this! The families of the unfortunate girls who died in the school fire are going to receive 100,000 baht from the school owners!! So this child would have received less if she died!! Incredulous to say the least...

Yes, in the UK owners of dangerous dogs that attack people are prosecuted and can be sent to prison.

Just last week a dog attack on 11 children in a park

A woman has been charged after a dog bit 11 children playing in a Northumberland park.

Nine of them were taken to hospital and three were detained overnight after the attack in the park on Burns Avenue, Blyth, on Wednesday.

Claire Neale, 37, of Chasedale Crescent, Blyth, was held on suspicion of having a dog dangerously out of control.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36348865

By the way the she did appear in court on Saturday and is being remanded in custody, the dog almost certainly has already been put down.

Thailand should follow the UK example, dogs tagged by law...

Un-tagged dogs should be treated as unowned and sent to a dogs home where if suitable as pets can be chipped, neutered and vaccinated, or dealt with by other human methods.

In most civilized countries, there would be no debate about whether or not this dog should be put down. This is a horrific attack, on a child. Her life will never be the same again. She is going to have to live with scars all over her face, for the rest of her life. This dog needs to be executed immediately. And the owner needs to come up with far more than the 150K he has offered. He should face prosecution. He was responsible for the dog getting loose. And he very obviously has never disciplined this wild, dangerous beast. If the people who are killing terrible, out of control dogs are getting prosecuted, why not the owners of these beasts? This is simply another example of a judicial system that is completely, and utterly broken, and dysfunctional.

Also, something needs to be done about the soi dog situation. From my point of view feeding feral, or near feral wild, street beasts does NOT earn Buddhistic merit, despite popular belief. Most of those does should be taken off the streets. They are filthy, are a menace, and a threat to society. The only reason they are allowed to exist is severe sloth on the part of the authorities.

I'm a dog lover... My dog was a liability when we inherited him (Thai Bangkeaw) so I always kept him indoors or on a leash. We managed to slowly re habilitate him and now he is fine but I still keep him on a leash.

Owners of dogs that attack should be prosecuted. Dogs that attack should be re habilitated at the owners expense.. Do we put down humans that attack others ? No, we don't.

Well, it appears you are a conscious individual, who was willing to invest the time into your pet, and show society some responsibility. That is far more than this piece of crap owner did, when it came to the horrific beast he owns. He should be punished severely for this act. He is responsible. Call him out on social media. Blacken his name. Shame him. Embarrass him. Make his life as miserable, as the life this young girl is going to be forced to live, with her terrible disfigurements, and scars.

And why is the victim's family named in this article, but not the owner of the dog? We should be allowed to shame this man, to no end. He should have to live with this for the rest of his life, just like this poor girl will have to. Her life is never going to be the same.

Does anyone know his name? Is it shown on the Thai version of the article that is quoted?

I don't even want to hear any mention of libel. We all know who is libel here. The terrible pet owner.

In most civilized countries, there would be no debate about whether or not this dog should be put down. This is a horrific attack, on a child. Her life will never be the same again. She is going to have to live with scars all over her face, for the rest of her life. This dog needs to be executed immediately. And the owner needs to come up with far more than the 150K he has offered. He should face prosecution. He was responsible for the dog getting loose. And he very obviously has never disciplined this wild, dangerous beast. If the people who are killing terrible, out of control dogs are getting prosecuted, why not the owners of these beasts? This is simply another example of a judicial system that is completely, and utterly broken, and dysfunctional.

Also, something needs to be done about the soi dog situation. From my point of view feeding feral, or near feral wild, street beasts does NOT earn Buddhistic merit, despite popular belief. Most of those does should be taken off the streets. They are filthy, are a menace, and a threat to society. The only reason they are allowed to exist is severe sloth on the part of the authorities.

Couldn't agree more - people who think they are helping by feeding these dogs are misled to the point of stupidity.

The Thai nation should hang it's head in shame in the ignorant and inexcusable way they deal with ALL kinds of animals, be they pets, domesticated, captive or wild they are all likely to suffer through the ignorance indifference that so many display towards them in this country.

Posted 2015-01-03 15:53:43

I posted this a year ago. Police at the time said they could do nothing !!!!

go.png

star_big.png
POPULAR

My daughter was attached on White Sand beach at Koh Chang Lagoon Resort on Tuesday morning whilst we were having breakfeast.

She was biiten in the face by a beach mongrel and the staff at the hotel were no help. We rushed her to Bangkok Hospital in Koh Chang and then had to take her to Bangkok Hospital in Chantaburi because the was no surgeon at the Koh Chang hospital but she also needed an eye surgeon and Plastic surgeon.

We were terrfified of the outcome. 4 hours of surgery and a lot of stitching and it looks like things will work out as well as can be expected. Needless to say the Bangkok Hopspital bill was huge.

Two days later back in Koh Chang we had to retrieve our belongings and informed the Royal Thai Police what happened. We were taken back to the scene of the crime and the owners of Koh Chang Lagooon entered the discussions about the incident with the Police and us.

At the end of the day I dont think much will happen. We had photos of the dog that the police did not seem interested in but the hotel owners requested a copy so they could inform the staff to keep an eye on the malafactor. The next day the dog was back on the steps of the restaurant.

The reason for this post is to warn people about the risks of beach dogs not just at Koh Chang but everywhere. In my experiance once a dog bits a person he will do it again. In my country a court order would be issued and the dog taken away.

I made this known to the hotel owners and if it happened again and the outcome was worse they would be in serious trouble. I hope I am wrong but if the dog is not removed odds are it will happen again. No matter how vigilant you are as parents these freak things can happen.